ADVERTISEMENT

McCarthy Article

BoilerPride08

Senior
May 18, 2006
Interesting read about Lana. Here’s what I found most interesting.

"Most of the post players are just big in stature whether its length or height," Stephens said. "Lana gives us both and even though she's a bigger girl, she's a cat. Her athletic ability is something you don't see in a lot of girls her size. It shows you how vertically athletic she is along with moving east and west."

So basically the same exact thing I said after she committed that was refuted profusely by our resident board know-it-all and basketball “expert”. 😂

Truly shocking some on here aren’t working as directors of scouting at Big Ten basketball programs. 🙄

Link

You are hilarious, you really are. You post a video of her pounding the ball up the floor at a jog while not being challenged by anyone, where she takes it to 12-15 feet, turns, backs down a 5'10" guard to 4 feet and turns and shoots over her, all the while not facing anyone challenging her dribble or doubling her as proof she runs like a deer and handles like a guard. I disagreed with that premise, but did state I like getting her because even if she is raw, you cannot teach height. McCarthy displays good footwork and a soft touch shooting the ball in the videos you linked, but she has little to no experience against a player her own height and ability.

I like McCarthy enough that I want her playing at least back up minutes next season at post for development purposes before Gordon hits campus and takes over in the post. Unlike McCarthy, Gordon has played high level AAU games against other college bound posts and is ranked in the top 50 in her class. McCarthy has dominated against 6' and under players and even her AAU teams have been ones that play in smaller tourneys and not pitted her against someone her own size. This indicates to me she will have the biggest adjustment to college ball of the 4 incoming posts the next two years, and if she doesn't get the developmental playing time as a frosh I can easily see her leaving as she would move too far down the bench to see many minutes. This is even more of a concern if Mila loses 30 pounds and plays like she means it next season.

I have been fairly consistent in my eval of McCarthy over the years, but you are all over the place. First she is the second coming of Ruth Riley, then she is not good enough and we must have a portal post to be competitive next year, and now that the coach that recruited her is hyping her up, you are lapping it up like gravy and parroting it back out. Which is it? If she is everything you and Stevens have stated, adding a portal post is a bad gamble to take with team cohession and togetherness if the portal post is disgruntled about not playing.

I will repeat this for you and to restate my position for any believing your pack of lies. I think Puryear would be adequate to start next year, she's big, strong, and has played against high level opponents and done well. 6-8 ppg, 5-8 rpg from her and good positional post defense would be a great freshmen year for her. I would like to see McCarthy get 10-20 minutes a game in reserve getting 2-6 ppg and 2-4 rbg while she makes the huge leap from small school ball in Vermont to having to play against girls her size and bigger and that match or exceed her quickness. If either or both exceed those modest expectations, I fully expect Gordon to start at center from day one when she arrives, so I want Puryear and McCarthy to get lots of minutes to show what they can do before Gordon comes in eating up 25-35 minutes a game at center. That way the coaches can adjust the offense to optimize it for the returnees and minimize good players leaving. If we bring in a portal post, one of Puryear or McCarthy are going to get relegated too far down the bench to get pt, and then Gordon and Kila coming in will likely convince one or both to transfer. I would MUCH rather having all 4 as great depth and diversity in the post positions as options for 3 years, and I strongly feel to do that, you HAVE to let Puryear and MCarthy take their lumps next season.

I hate how you resort to outright lying about what I said since you cannot debate the actual statements, and it seems you deleted the whole thread before making this post just so I could not referrence it in my defense.

Last edited:
You are hilarious, you really are. You post a video of her pounding the ball up the floor at a jog while not being challenged by anyone, where she takes it to 12-15 feet, turns, backs down a 5'10" guard to 4 feet and turn sand shoots over her, all the while not facing anyone challenging her dribble or doubling her as proof she runs like a deer and handles like a guard. I disagreed with that premise, but did state I like getting her because even if she is raw, you cannot teach height. McCarthy displays good footwork and a soft touch shooting the ball in the videos you linked, but she has little to no experience against a player heer own height and ability.

I like McCarthy enough that I want her playing at least back up minutes next season at post for development purposes before Gordon hits campus and takes over in the post. Unlike McCarthy, Gordon has played high level AAU games against other college bound posts and is ranked in the top 50 in her class. McCarthy has dominated against 6' and under players and even her AAU teams have been ones that play in smaller tourneys and not pitted her against someone her own size. This indicates to me she will have the biggest adjustment to college ball of the 4 incoming posts the next two years, and if she doesn't get the developmental playing time as a frosh I can easily see her leaving as she would move too far down the bench to see many minutes. This is even more of a concern if Mila loses 30 pounds and plays like she means it next season.

I have been fairly consistent in my eval of McCarthy over the years, but you are all over the place. First she is the second coming of Ruth Riley, then she is not good enough and we must have a portal post to be competitive next year, and now that the coach that recruited her is hyping her up, you are lapping it up like gravy and parroting it back out. Which is it? If she is everything you and Stevens have stated, adding a portal post is a bad gamble to take with team cohession and togetherness if the portal post is disgruntled about not playing.

I will repeat this for you and to restate my position for any believing your pack of lies. I thiink Puryear would be adequate to start next year, she's big, strong, and has played against high level opponents and done well. 6-8 ppg, 5-8 rpg from her and good positional post defense would be a great freshmen year for her. I would like to see McCarthy get 10-20 minutes a game in reserve getting 2-6 ppg and 2-4 rbg while she makes the huge leap from small school ball in Vermont to having to play against girls her size and bigger and that match or exheed her quickness. If either or both exceed those modest expectations, I fully expect Gordon to start at center from day one when she arrives, so I want Puryear and McCarthy to get lots of minutes to show what they can do before Gordon comes in eating up 25-35 minutes a game at center. That way the coaches can adjust the offense to optimize it for the returnees and minimize good players leaving. If we bring in a portal post, one of Puryear or McCarthy are going to get relegated too far down the bench to get pt, and then Gordon and Kila coming in will likely convince one or both to transfer. I would MUCH rather having all 4 as great depth and diversity in the post positions as options for 3 years, and I strongly feel to do that, you HAVE to let Puryear and MCarthy take their lumps next season.

I hate how you resort to outright lying about what I said since you cannot debate the actual statements, and it seems you deleted the whole thread before making this post just so I could not referrence it in my defense.

My initial critique after seeing some videos - I never was in position to scout her in person

“After watching some film, we may have found a diamond hiding up in New Hampshire. At 6-4 and with that body type you might think she’d be a slow plodding post - exactly the opposite. She has the ability to rebound the basketball and start the fast break herself. Extremely impressive for a player her size. Looks skilled as well - her 3 pt shot looks very fluid. Great rebounder as well. She seems like both the ideal post for KGs offense and someone we will need to survive the big ten. Finding a player with her size and build that is so agile and fluid is extremely rare.”

After further research:

“A 6’4 bruiser post player being able to take the rebound and go end to end for the reverse layup while being defended, and then casually drill a 3 like it’s nothing, at barely 17 years old? Offer sheet be damned, sign me up! Normally I’d call this off the radar recruit a nice work in progress but her skillset is extremely refined for someone with her frame/age.”

Yours

“She runs the floor like a Mack truck with two flat tires. She lumbered down the court and none of her moves showed any real quickness, just small defenders that gave ground as she pushed past them. She may be a good player, but that video is not indicative of much of anything other than she's tall, got bulk, and seems to have a nice shooting touch.”

No where did I say anything that you accuse me of. You forget, Michael, that the internet is forever and the receipts can always be found.

Let me spell it out for you, Michael. Since you have a hard time with this.

ALL OF MY SCOUTS WERE TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION OF A *PLAYER OF THAT AGE, SIZE/BUILD.*

Not just on her 6’4 height.

So let’s get the truth straight. I never heard of Lana before she committed. Probably due to being hidden up in New Hampshire. But my overall belief is that she has shown a lot to be a really good post prospect. Key word is PROSPECT.

Now most of it - including the highlight tapes - have been against New Hampshire high school talent. And that’s not saying a whole lot. But she at least showed the capability of running the court like that. Of course like ALL incoming high school talent - she needs to hit the weight room and become bigger and faster to compete with the other, more experienced, big ten post players. i don’t expect her to come right in and be a fast break machine. But, with proper development, she is already physically in a great situation to possibly turn into that type of post.

I’m not expecting this person to come in and carry the post for us her rookie season. No freshman post should ever have to have that responsibility if it can be resolved with an experienced - 1 year grad transfer.

Good luck winning ballgames relying heavily on freshman posts.

Last edited:
My initial critique after seeing some videos - I never was in position to scout her in person

“After watching some film, we may have found a diamond hiding up in New Hampshire. At 6-4 and with that body type you might think she’d be a slow plodding post - exactly the opposite. She has the ability to rebound the basketball and start the fast break herself. Extremely impressive for a player her size. Looks skilled as well - her 3 pt shot looks very fluid. Great rebounder as well. She seems like both the ideal post for KGs offense and someone we will need to survive the big ten. Finding a player with her size and build that is so agile and fluid is extremely rare.”

After further research:

“A 6’4 bruiser post player being able to take the rebound and go end to end for the reverse layup while being defended, and then casually drill a 3 like it’s nothing, at barely 17 years old? Offer sheet be damned, sign me up! Normally I’d call this off the radar recruit a nice work in progress but her skillset is extremely refined for someone with her frame/age.”

Yours

“She runs the floor like a Mack truck with two flat tires. She lumbered down the court and none of her moves showed any real quickness, just small defenders that gave ground as she pushed past them. She may be a good player, but that video is not indicative of much of anything other than she's tall, got bulk, and seems to have a nice shooting touch.”

No where did I say anything that you accuse me of. You forget, Michael, that the internet is forever and the receipts can always be found.

Let me spell it out for you, Michael. Since you have a hard time with this.

ALL OF MY SCOUTS WERE TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION OF A *PLAYER OF THAT SIZE/BUILD.

Not just on her 6’4 height.

So let’s get the truth straight. I never heard of Lana before she committed. Probably due to being hidden up in New Hampshire. But my overall belief is that she has shown a lot to be a really good post prospect. Key word is PROSPECT.

Now most of it - including the highlight tapes - have been against New Hampshire high school talent. And that’s not saying a whole lot. But she at least showed the capability of running the court like that. Of course like ALL incoming high school talent - she needs to hit the weight room and become bigger and faster to compete with the other, more experienced, big ten post players. i don’t expect her to come right in and be a fast break machine. But, with proper development, she is already physically in a great situation to possibly turn into that type of post.

I’m not expecting this person to come in and carry the post for us her rookie season. No freshman post should ever have to have that responsibility if it can be resolved with an experienced - 1 year grad transfer.

Good luck winning ballgames relying heavily on freshman posts.
Nowhere did I say anything about RELYING on the freshmen posts, I put very modest expectations on them both. I and others have stated we expect Swanson to lead this team in scoring and Amaiyah to lead from the point. Mary Ashley will provide the bulk of our post scoring next season as I envision it. I do think Gordon comes in and starts day 1. The more I see and read on her, the more excited I get. She has possible next league potential in her, and that is rare to see in a Purdue uniform this century. So play the frosh posts, season them this season, and have them as experienced bench support, or bring in a portal player and have 4 basically frosh posts all banging into each other and not nearly enough playing time to sort them out.... I choose to ignore getting a portal post, you favor stacking up 7 posts for the 25-26 season with only one of them being a known commodity. That just sounds insane to me.

Nowhere did I say anything about RELYING on the freshmen posts, I put very modest expectations on them both. I and others have stated we expect Swanson to lead this team in scoring and Amaiyah to lead from the point. Mary Ashley will provide the bulk of our post scoring next season as I envision it. I do think Gordon comes in and starts day 1. The more I see and read on her, the more excited I get. She has possible next league potential in her, and that is rare to see in a Purdue uniform this century. So play the frosh posts, season them this season, and have them as experienced bench support, or bring in a portal player and have 4 basically frosh posts all banging into each other and not nearly enough playing time to sort them out.... I choose to ignore getting a portal post, you favor stacking up 7 posts for the 25-26 season with only one of them being a known commodity. That just sounds insane to me.

And you basically ignored it because I’ve only called for a 1 year grad transfer post. Making your argument invalid. But you do that a lot.

If you think we’re never going to have a player transfer out. You’re literally so ignorant know nothing about where college basketball is. I’m embarrassed for you, to be honest.

Who the hell is going to rebound next year? MA is great but she isn’t a rebounder. Mila? Harper? WHO!?

We will find out how good she is starting next year. No need to be arguing about it. And trying to argue with MichaelRR is like trying to argue with an Ex wife or husband You can't because he knows everything (at least he thinks he does)

And you basically ignored it because I’ve only called for a 1 year grad transfer post. Making your argument invalid. But you do that a lot.

If you think we’re never going to have a player transfer out. You’re literally so ignorant know nothing about where college basketball is. I’m embarrassed for you, to be honest.

Who the hell is going to rebound next year? MA is great but she isn’t a rebounder. Mila? Harper? WHO!?
You obviously have failed to understand a single thing I have written. I have clearly stated that EVERYONE is going to have to pick up their rebounding next season, but that I am hopeful that MA/Puryear can average 10-16 rebounds a game combined with a few more from McCarthy off the bench. I have stated MANY times that we aren't a good rebounding team this season and losing Terry's rebounds is going to be very hard to replace and it won't be done by just one player. Do you really think we are going to get a transfer post that averages 12-16 rebounds a game all by herself to replace all that's lost with the departing seniors?????? You make all these absurd comments, blast others as only you know anything about basketball and any that disagree with you are morons and when you get caught out being wrong either lie or attack anyone that points out where you are wrong. I am not always right, but I make an effort to be gracious when I am wrong, not throw a massive fit like an overgrown toddler with a ripe diaper.

And a one year transfer is EXACTLY what I was talking about, not my fault your reading comprehension is so bad you cannot follow along in basic english. IMO, and its only my opinion, MCCarthy and Puryear need all the minutes that they can handle next season to be ready when more talented posts come in a year behind them so that they A know their worth, and B can be strong help off the bench instead of being lost in the wash with 4 un-seasoned posts, 2 useless posts, one possible swing forward depending on how McKenna develops and is used and Mary Ashley. That is a dumpster fire in the making if we don't start sorting it out next year. THAT is why I do not want a portal post, let Puryear and McCarthy show us what they've got. Watch highlights from last nights ISU/Md game to see what a freshmen post can do.

Last edited:

I understand your concern about rebounding. One of my longstanding concerns has been the inability of many of our girls to be in elite shape, which is a critical component of being able to rebound. Even MA looks to have bulked up late in the season and not in a lean manner. Would love to know what the expectations of the team nutritionist and strength/conditioning coaches are. Taking care of their bodies needs to be a part of CKG’s expectations of them.

You are hilarious, you really are. You post a video of her pounding the ball up the floor at a jog while not being challenged by anyone, where she takes it to 12-15 feet, turns, backs down a 5'10" guard to 4 feet and turn sand shoots over her, all the while not facing anyone challenging her dribble or doubling her as proof she runs like a deer and handles like a guard. I disagreed with that premise, but did state I like getting her because even if she is raw, you cannot teach height. McCarthy displays good footwork and a soft touch shooting the ball in the videos you linked, but she has little to no experience against a player heer own height and ability.

I will repeat this for you and to restate my position for any believing your pack of lies. I thiink Puryear would be adequate to start next year, she's big, strong, and has played against high level opponents and done well. 6-8 ppg, 5-8 rpg from her and good positional post defense would be a great freshmen year for her. I would like to see McCarthy get 10-20 minutes a game in reserve getting 2-6 ppg and 2-4 rbg while she makes the huge leap from small school ball in Vermont to having to play against girls her size and bigger and that match or exheed her quickness. If either or both exceed those modest expectations, I fully expect Gordon to start at center from day one when she arrives, so I want Puryear and McCarthy to get lots of minutes to show what they can do before Gordon comes in eating up 25-35 minutes a game at center. That way the coaches can adjust the offense to optimize it for the returnees and minimize good players leaving. If we bring in a portal post, one of Puryear or McCarthy are going to get relegated too far down the bench to get pt, and then Gordon and Kila coming in will likely convince one or both to transfer. I would MUCH rather having all 4 as great depth and diversity in the post positions as options for 3 years, and I strongly feel to do that, you HAVE to let Puryear and MCarthy take their lumps next season.

Thanks for the note on McCarthy's competition in AAU. I've only seen her games this season in HS ball and I don't know if she matched up against anyone that was taller than 6'. It was a little encouraging hearing Stephen's talk highly about her, granted that's what all coaches are going to do about their recruits.

Her only other P5 offer was minnesota from what I could find so she may be more of a project than others / or just a hidden gem being from a smaller state.

I think she's nimble for her size.. if I had to take a guess, I'd say her speed is C.harper level.

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelRR
I'm read that she is a very good volleyball player too. That tells me she is a pretty good athlete.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT