ADVERTISEMENT

Here's something that could stop Biden's Supreme Court nomination

YouSayPotato

True Freshman
Jun 4, 2021

Democratic Sen. Ben Ray Luján Hospitalized for Stroke​

New Mexico lawmaker’s absence leaves Democrats short of a crucial vote in Senate while he recovers​

im-478120

Sen. Ben Ray Luján of New Mexico is expected to make a full recovery after suffering a stroke.​

By Natalie Andrews Wall Street Journal Feb. 1, 2022

WASHINGTON— Sen. Ben Ray Luján (D., N.M.) suffered a stroke and had surgery to ease swelling in his brain, his top aide said Tuesday, leaving Democrats short of a crucial vote in the 50-50 Senate while he recovers. Mr. Luján is currently at the University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque being evaluated, said Carlos Sanchez, his chief of staff, in a statement. The stroke was in his cerebellum and was affecting his balance, which led to the decompressive surgery, Mr. Sanchez said.

“He is currently being cared for at UNM Hospital, resting comfortably, and expected to make a full recovery,” Mr. Sanchez said. Mr. Luján, 49 years old, first started experiencing symptoms of dizziness and fatigue last Thursday, Mr. Sanchez said. Mr. Sanchez didn’t say when Mr. Luján would return to the Senate, just that he looked forward to getting back to work. While Mr. Luján is absent from the Senate, there will be just 49 senators in the Democratic caucus, making passing any party-line nominations difficult, including President Biden’s expected Supreme Court pick, as well as any legislation that needs full support from Democrats.

Democrats have expressed concerns over their thin control of the Senate, which often forces Vice President Kamala Harris to come to the Capitol to break a tie. Ms. Harris has broken 15 ties in her first year in the position. “We’re all praying for Ben Ray and his family,” Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) said. “We look forward to his quick return to the Senate, and I believe the Senate will be able to carry forward with its business.”

Since the Covid-19 pandemic began in March 2020, the Senate has faced absences that have at times thrown off the schedule. Last month, Democratic Sen. Brian Schatz of Hawaii was out with the coronavirus as Democrats mounted an effort to change the Senate’s filibuster rules. Currently, GOP Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah is quarantining with Covid-19.

Separately, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D., Md.) said he has tested positive for Covid-19 and is experiencing mild symptoms. In the House, unlike in the Senate, lawmakers can vote by proxy and don’t have to be physically present at the Capitol.

Mr. Luján’s absence could make it harder for Democrats to confirm Mr. Biden’s ambassadors and other nominees. Mr. Biden is expected to name his pick for the Supreme Court at the end of this month. Mr. Luján was elected to the Senate in 2020, after serving his state in the House of Representatives since 2009. He grew up in Nambé, a small farming community north of Santa Fe, and has been involved in politics for most of his adult life.

Imagine trying to force a narrowly supported agenda on.a majority of the country with less than a 50/50 spilt in the senate.

This just took the game clock from 11 months to 9 months.

Tick, tick, tick

Last edited:
Imagine trying to force a narrowly supported agenda on.a majority of the country with less than a 50/50 spilt in the senate.

This just took the game clock from 11 months to 9 months.

Tick, tick, tick
(R) Sen. Lindsey Graham is on board with the chick from SC at least. It will he interesting to see how Tim Scott votes.

(R) Sen. Lindsey Graham is on board with the chick from SC at least. It will he interesting to see how Tim Scott votes.
Let’s start simple. If you don’t agree with Senator Scott on his decision, don’t slander or call him a nickname or label him. See if you can rise above the fray.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
So you have no problem with a black woman now?
I never had a problem with a black woman. I think it would be cool and obviously historic. I didn’t agree with President Biden’s vow of it being a black woman. It seemed patronizing. I want the best Justice for the bench and I don’t want race to play a role in the decision making.

I never had a problem with a black woman. I think it would be cool and obviously historic. I didn’t agree with President Biden’s vow of it being a black woman. It seemed patronizing. I want the best Justice for the bench and I don’t want race to play a role in the decision making.
But it's ok for gender to play a role.

Reactions: BNIBoiler
But it's ok for gender to play a role.
If you’re referring to President Trump’s selection of Justice Coney Barrett, I was fine with it. She was replacing a historic figure on the Supreme Court in Justice Ginsberg. I am not fine with identity politics just to please a small fraction of the country. It’s patronizing.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
If you’re referring to President Trump’s selection of Justice Coney Barrett, I was fine with it. She was replacing a historic figure on the Supreme Court in Justice Ginsberg. I am not fine with identity politics just to please a small fraction of the country. It’s patronizing.
It has nothing to do with Ginsberg, as much as you want it to.

Trump promised a woman. Biden promised a black woman. You are good with one and not the other. The difference is the color of their skin. That's it.

Was it Identity politics when Bush chose Thomas? Or was it an effort to right a wrong, to have the highest court in the land actually reflect America?

Women have been a minority in this country......and still are in many respects........for a long time when it came to management positions and promotions and equal pay. It's changing at last.......and a huge part of that was Reagan picking O'Connor. But because he did that, women are not considered to be a minority when discussing a court seat.

White men, black men, white women.........have all been or are on the court. What's missing? Are there no qualified black women?

It's not identity politics, again, as much as you want it to be. It's correcting a wrong and structuring the court to reflect America.

If your criteria is the best candidate, as you said, then you would object to Trump's promise too because it excluded ALL WHITE MEN as candidates........and black men as well. What am I missing?

Is the "best" candidate an objective decision? No. It's still an opinion based on experience and other factors.

Reactions: BNIBoiler
It has nothing to do with Ginsberg, as much as you want it to.

Trump promised a woman. Biden promised a black woman. You are good with one and not the other. The difference is the color of their skin. That's it.

Was it Identity politics when Bush chose Thomas? Or was it an effort to right a wrong, to have the highest court in the land actually reflect America?

Women have been a minority in this country......and still are in many respects........for a long time when it came to management positions and promotions and equal pay. It's changing at last.......and a huge part of that was Reagan picking O'Connor. But because he did that, women are not considered to be a minority when discussing a court seat.

White men, black men, white women.........have all been or are on the court. What's missing? Are there no qualified black women?

It's not identity politics, again, as much as you want it to be. It's correcting a wrong and structuring the court to reflect America.

If your criteria is the best candidate, as you said, then you would object to Trump's promise too because it excluded ALL WHITE MEN as candidates........and black men as well. What am I missing?

Is the "best" candidate an objective decision? No. It's still an opinion based on experience and other factors.
I don’t want it to do with Ginsberg, I was just assuming that President Trump wanted to replace a historic female with another female. That’s what I remember reading at least.

Yes, that’s precisely the issue. The difference is the color of their skin. That’s the patronizing part and a majority of America agrees with me. The color of the potential Justice’s skin should not be factored in to the decision. Did you see that poll by chance?

Are you a poly science graduate or a professor? I see your name a lot around here posting about politics. You even called Governor DeSantis “Ron” :—)

Some folks really get into this stuff. It’s crazy how much time is spent on politics on a sports forum.

I don’t want it to do with Ginsberg, I was just assuming that President Trump wanted to replace a historic female with another female. That’s what I remember reading at least.

Yes, that’s precisely the issue. The difference is the color of their skin. That’s the patronizing part and a majority of America agrees with me. The color of the potential Justice’s skin should not be factored in to the decision. Did you see that poll by chance?

Are you a poly science graduate or a professor? I see your name a lot around here posting about politics. You even called Governor DeSantis “Ron” :—)

Some folks really get into this stuff. It’s crazy how much time is spent on politics on a sports forum.
As a black man, you should be more than ecstatic that a black woman finally gets a chance to become a Supreme Court justice.

As a black man, you should be more than ecstatic that a black woman finally gets a chance to become a Supreme Court justice.
I’m excited and think it would be cool. I don’t think the way it was proposed has been cool. The majority of Americans agree with me.

Reactions: Robinahood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT