ADVERTISEMENT

Hepburn in portal

purduedavie

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
Look, no problem with guys transferring, however, guys that are playing 30 minutes per game leaving is ridiculous. I hope heads get together and make some changes to this, at least make transferring a 1 time thing, additional transfer except in hardship should mean a year sitting out, it’s minor but guys like Storr won’t play for 4 different schools in 4 years. The pros have salary caps, can’t cut and run every year, right now this isn’t sports, it’s a mockery. Every good play at a mid major will transfer now after a good season, that sucks. I lean toward the player but its way to much their way, needs to me more middle ground in this. Cap this NIL stuff as well, 3 million seems fair, if they don’t we’ll soon see teams with 15-20 million budgets for players, players will sit on benches earning more than starters at some schools, that’s ridiculous.

Saw this yesterday. Wisconsin getting gutted right before the window closes.

A couple of things.

From what I have read from Wisconsin folks, they have NIL money but they don’t do upfront guarantees on a large scale. I think they are like Purdue where we give them something small on a monthly basis and opportunities to earn unlimited upside. (I could be wrong but that is how I understand it). Someone obviously tossed out some big number to him that got him to jump ship. I think he wanted to play with Frankie Fidler, kid from Omaha, they played in high school together. Assuming they spoke and he told him the numbers he was being offered. He made a business decision.

Limiting transfers and requiring kids to sit out - good idea in theory but that ship has sailed. NCAA basically said they won’t prevent immediate transfers. No way that genie goes back in the bottle.

Capping NIL - doubtful. NCAA would get sued and lose.

Only thing that would make sense if requiring all NIL deals/packages to be made public. That provides transparency for everyone.

I am curious how many of these kids are promised huge numbers once they sign and end up transferring again because those numbers don’t actually happen. Could be similar to the NBA and NFL where you can see how much kids make or are promised. I am assuming collectives are some sort of legal entity so they have to report flows in and out. Match up those numbers to see what players were promised and what they actually got.

A couple of things.

From what I have read from Wisconsin folks, they have NIL money but they don’t do upfront guarantees on a large scale. I think they are like Purdue where we give them something small on a monthly basis and opportunities to earn unlimited upside. (I could be wrong but that is how I understand it). Someone obviously tossed out some big number to him that got him to jump ship. I think he wanted to play with Frankie Fidler, kid from Omaha, they played in high school together. Assuming they spoke and he told him the numbers he was being offered. He made a business decision.

Limiting transfers and requiring kids to sit out - good idea in theory but that ship has sailed. NCAA basically said they won’t prevent immediate transfers. No way that genie goes back in the bottle.

Only thing that would make sense if requiring all NIL deals/packages to be made public. That provides transparency for everyone.

I am curious how many of these kids are promised huge numbers once they sign and end up transferring again because those numbers don’t actually happen. Could be similar to the NBA and NFL where you can see how much kids make or are promised. I am assuming collectives are some sort of legal entity so they have to report flows in and out. Match up those numbers to see what players were promised and what they actually got.
As for capping, a player can get most of the cap, a university’s amount to spend to should be capped, if they want to load up on 2-3 great players so be it, maybe cap it at 5 million. It’s going to get to a point where a Arkansas or Ky has a 20
Million dollar budget, that’s terrible for the sport. I’m mostly for the player but this is getting silly. Thank goodness this is it for the extra Covid year.

Look, no problem with guys transferring, however, guys that are playing 30 minutes per game leaving is ridiculous. I hope heads get together and make some changes to this, at least make transferring a 1 time thing, additional transfer except in hardship should mean a year sitting out, it’s minor but guys like Storr won’t play for 4 different schools in 4 years. The pros have salary caps, can’t cut and run every year, right now this isn’t sports, it’s a mockery. Every good play at a mid major will transfer now after a good season, that sucks. I lean toward the player but its way to much their way, needs to me more middle ground in this. Cap this NIL stuff as well, 3 million seems fair, if they don’t we’ll soon see teams with 15-20 million budgets for players, players will sit on benches earning more than starters at some schools, that’s ridiculous.
Its ruining college sport. It's really worse than pro sports now. No contracts, you basically become a free agent every year.

Agree with sitting out after you've already transferred once...unless your grad.
They just made it easier officially. It sounds like im in the minority that it doesn’t bother. Employees and professional athletes move around all the time for various reasons. Even in white collar professional world a fair amount of resumes come through where guys are on their fifth or sixth job in 4 years and while most of the time it’s a red flag, there are situations where 3 jobs in 4 years is justified where guys don’t have a chance to advance at work, change in leadership, toxic cultures, or locations for personal reasons.

A couple of things.

Transfers give a 1 time freebe, after that unless a grad they have to sit out a year. In pro sports you can’t move around like this, players leaving good teams after averaging 30 minutes a game is ridiculous. Just watch in the next week or two Arkansas and Kentucky load up. Both pretty much lost everyone, kids like a Hepburn but better are going to split looking for that payday. Eventually people will start losing interest if this happens year end year out.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Its ruining college sport. It's really worse than pro sports now. No contracts, you basically become a free agent every year.
Correct, it’s ridiculous, should be a middle ground, swung way to far the players way now. Big boosters are just going to buy their schools titles, or at least try. Free agency every year, really not a need to recruit high school players anymore.

Is it really ruining it? Seems like it’s as strong as ever. Look at UConn in they have 14 guys that logged minutes this year and 11 have only ever played for UConn. The 3 transfers were seniors, only cam Spencer transferred in this year. Purdue the same in the championship game just 1 transfer, not much different than prior to NIL.

Is it really ruining it? Seems like it’s as strong as ever. Look at UConn in they have 14 guys that logged minutes this year and 11 have only ever played for UConn. The 3 transfers were seniors, only cam Spencer transferred in this year. Purdue the same in the championship game just 1 transfer, not much different than prior to NIL.
While I agree with this year, but Purdue & UConn are becoming the unicorn of the NCAA, which I don't think will last at either school. Purdue will soon become like other schools with top players searching for more money at other schools... it just hasn't happened yet, which is part of the reason us & UConn made our runs. Winning will eventually lose to greed, happens every time.

While I agree with this year, but Purdue & UConn are becoming the unicorn of the NCAA, which I don't think will last at either school. Purdue will soon become like other schools with top players searching for more money at other schools... it just hasn't happened yet, which is part of the reason us & UConn made our runs. Winning will eventually lose to greed, happens every time.
Getting worse and worse. We now have teams losing entire rosters, that’s not what I want to see. Guys on top 20 teams averaging 30 minutes a game are cutting out for bigger paydays, not blaming them but it’s not good for the sport which along with the NFL is my favorite. NFL has a tough cap to manipulate, wish college if it’s going to go pay to play would have one.

Transfers give a 1 time freebe, after that unless a grad they have to sit out a year. In pro sports you can’t move around like this, players leaving good teams after averaging 30 minutes a game is ridiculous. Just watch in the next week or two Arkansas and Kentucky load up. Both pretty much lost everyone, kids like a Hepburn but better are going to split looking for that payday. Eventually people will start losing interest if this happens year end year out.
I don’t disagree but no turning back. Between the NCAA and prior lawsuits - we are stuck here.

Any attempt to change the course now is like suggesting marriage therapy when your wife serves you divorce papers. The ideas and suggestions are cute but too little too late.

I hope I am wrong.

We'll soon see how Painter's persona stands out for those and those parents who truly care .... money, the LOVE of it, over enjoyment of one's life ...

Yup. Painter going about it in the right way.

We don’t have the deepest pockets so sell the kids on the basketball part of the experience too.

Only way we can compete.

I look at it as the inverse a little bit. While the top top players chase paydays and the name on the back of the jersey, we can grab kids who want to stay, buy in, develop and get better.

I’m all for the random hopping and players chasing cash as long as we do t get bit by it too much and we stay focused on what college basketball was supposed to be and not what it’s become! We weren’t getting the top ranked guys (1-20ish) anyways. Now they are focused on $ and not getting better at ball…that helps the teams that are!

Reactions: SKYDOG

Yep, show me the incentives and I will tell you the outcomes.

Saturdays are mine......they always were......I've not got time to badger about the house.....

MV4Z.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Courthouse Carp
They just made it easier officially. It sounds like im in the minority that it doesn’t bother. Employees and professional athletes move around all the time for various reasons. Even in white collar professional world a fair amount of resumes come through where guys are on their fifth or sixth job in 4 years and while most of the time it’s a red flag, there are situations where 3 jobs in 4 years is justified where guys don’t have a chance to advance at work, change in leadership, toxic cultures, or locations for personal reasons.
In professional sports they also have multi-year contracts with penalties for breaking the contract.

With Duke losing 7 kids to the portal - NCAA is going to quickly add some rules. Bad things aren’t allowed to happen to them.
Maybe, there does need to be some limits, I’m pro player, however, it’s swinging way too far there way. This is nothing more than 1 year play for pay now, bag isn’t big enough I’m leaving.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Seeing reports that Chucky is going to Louisville. I guess it is better to miss the tournament entirely than getting bounced the first weekend.

Seeing reports that Chucky is going to Louisville. I guess it is better to miss the tournament entirely than getting bounced the first weekend.

If Chucky's NIL value to Louisville is approaching a million, what's Smith's open market NIL value to a good well funded team?

College football and basketball is a professional sport now, except it doesn’t have the rules that the nfl and nba have such as salary caps and free agency rules that keep things from getting too crazy. The leagues also have drafts which help level the playing field. College needs to find a way to model themselves after the NBA and NFL. It could possibly mean getting rid of the NCAA or teams having more of a loose association with their universities. Do these athletes even care about academics any more? Why make them go to class if they don’t want to?
Like it or not, gone are the days of amateurism in college football and basketball with the intent of academics first, sports second.

Reactions: Lionheart1
If Chucky's NIL value to Louisville is approaching a million, what's Smith's open market NIL value to a good well funded team?
It was rumored 300k-600k for Gonzaga last year. If he produces anywhere close to this past season he would easily be over 1M his senior year. Not sure he’d transfer then…especially with F4 in Indy and the shot to be the all time assists leader at Purdue(i guess he could break it next year) and in the B1G…

It was rumored 300k-600k for Gonzaga last year. If he produces anywhere close to this past season he would easily be over 1M his senior year. Not sure he’d transfer then…especially with F4 in Indy and the shot to be the all time assists leader at Purdue(i guess he could break it next year) and in the B1G…

Yes, knowing this.....Purdue needs to be prepared to fend off ALL suitors. Smith is the centerpiece.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT