ADVERTISEMENT

Health of our society

I'll tell you what knob to twist. Get people to stop listening to the lying left media. That's why so many believe that overturning Roe will make abortion illegal. It doesn't. Stop misinforming people and we won't have a problem.

Is abortion not illegal some places now?

So, abortion is legal across the country right now?
Abortion is still legal in at least 32 states across the country, even if you include the states with trigger laws that haven’t yet taken effect. Abortion was illegal in only 8 states prior to the USSC decision.

Abortion is still legal in at least 32 states across the country, even if you include the states with trigger laws that haven’t yet taken effect. Abortion was illegal in only 8 states prior to the USSC decision.

So that decision did make it illegal in some states despite what has been said above?

How am I lying? Can states have legal abortion with Roe removed? This should be a rhetorical question.
You are being disingenuous. Abortion became illegal in some states because roe vs wade was overturned. You said the left wing media was lying g about this.

So that decision did make it illegal in some states despite what has been said above?
Here's what Chief Justice Warren Burger said on the day the ruling on Roe was announced.

"Plainly, the court today rejects any claim that the Constitution requires abortion on demand."

Then Blackmen proposed to issue a news release to accompany the decision, issued Jan. 22, 1973. “I fear what the headlines may be,” he wrote in a memo. His statement, never issued, emphasized that the court was not giving women “an absolute right to abortion,” nor was it saying that the “Constitution compels abortion on demand.”

Blackmun had said that abortion “must be left to the medical judgment of the pregnant woman’s attending physician.”

In other words, Roe v Wade was never meant to affirm a right to abortion. Especially not in the way it was used today.

You are being disingenuous. Abortion became illegal in some states because roe vs wade was overturned. You said the left wing media was lying g about this.
No I'm not. You are. What I said is that overurning Roe doesn't itself make it illegal. The individual states have to do so. Yes, some did. Most did not and will not.

This woman is spot on. Roe probably would have never been looked at in this way if the Left didn't go WAY too far with it. I linked only to the part where she speaks.

Is this the only place you have friends?

You won't get much love here as you are mostly going to get arguments from midwestern white males who still believe Trump won the election and who think they should tell women what to do and blame everything on "liberals" including when their Taco Bell order is wrong. Most don't understand the historical factors that affect gas prices so they blame the Democrats. Most don't understand all the issues around abortion, nor do they care to, nor are they capable of being pregnant and having to make a choice about their own bodies (unless its a jab) or having that choice taken away, so they scream "liberals". The system is clearly broken. Our society is clearly a mess. I hope someday we have two candidates, both Republican and Democrat, that people can say "wow, they are both so good I don't know who to vote for" but I won't hold my breath.
Still not addressing the fact that you’re a hypocrite who is intellectually dishonest? Nice essay though!

When is the last time any significant legislation got passed?
Um. How about multiple Covid relief packages authorizing trillions? The largest expenditure packages ever? Did you remember Covid?

And some could argue that the expediency and manner it passed (which you desire)is what lead to its deficiencies.

Not my government, but I would do it freely
Oh, yeah, well I would expect most parents would make the same choice. But, then its not correct to say your kids have the "right" to use your body to sustain their own lives. YOU have the right to decide whether they can or not, and you've chosen yes. Thankfully, the government allows you to make that choice on your own -- you know, since it's your body and all -- rather than make it for you under penalty of criminal prosecution.

A ruling that the majority of the public approves was just overturned by justices who were mostly appointed by presidents that lost the popular vote and we’re mostly confirmed by a senate that represents a minority of the country. Does anybody think that this is healthy for our society? What can we do to fix this?
Do you go by what the majority wants or do you go by what the Constitution says?

Reactions: BSIT
Um. How about multiple Covid relief packages authorizing trillions? The largest expenditure packages ever? Did you remember Covid?

And some could argue that the expediency and manner it passed (which you desire)is what lead to its deficiencies.
Assistance was necessary to fight Covid. The typical pork overspending that was included is a big reason we have rampant inflation today. Job well done DC.

Reactions: BSIT
This is simple: pass federal legislation decriminalizing abortion in cases of incest and rape, and also in cases where the woman’s life may be in danger up to XX number of weeks in term (whatever low number that is).

Then let the individual states decide about legalizing abortion at-will.

Then we can move on to issues of far greater importance than this interminable debate about a topic as relatively narrow-reaching abortion.

What’s healthy for this country would be to stop trying to legislate morality at the Federal level.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
This is simple: pass federal legislation decriminalizing abortion in cases of incest and rape, and also in cases where the woman’s life may be in danger up to XX number of weeks in term (whatever low number that is).

Then let the individual states decide about legalizing abortion at-will.

Then we can move on to issues of far greater importance than this interminable debate about a topic as relatively narrow-reaching abortion.

What’s healthy for this country would be to stop trying to legislate morality at the Federal level.
This exactly is what the SCOTUS decision does. It moves the decision from a small group of elite individuals and back to the people to decide. What's also crazy is that the majority of Americans would fully support the Mississippi abortion bill that was challenged and lead to this. it would probably be a really good framework for consensus.

What Americans won't support is the bill Schumer et al put forth which was abortion on-demand at any point, stripping parental notifications, etc. But most people don't know what was proposed in response to the decision.

In reality, abortion advocates should be happy about this. Clean slate. Now make your argument and win over the public with ideas and policy, not threats and actions of violence. If the support is what the ladies of the "The View" say it is then its slam dunk.

Your first sentence is very reasonable and agreeable, and which is why I'll ask again, Why when Obama had a supermajority in the Senate, and control of the house, did he not codify Roe v. Wade? The cynic in me says they didn't want to lose the value abortion has for fundraising and voter turnout. And now we have this.

ADVERTISEMENT