ADVERTISEMENT

Haven't visited in quite a while

boiler-deuce

Senior
Feb 18, 2012
Thought I hop on here and catch up. I'm sure some of you miss me dearly. (TIC and insert sarcasm) So, this team is very effing good! Painter has put together a really good team. Early in the year with the silly tourney losses, I was pretty worried. With the bad few years, it didn't look particularly good. But, since Painter took a couple of years off, he's rebounded very nicely and has this program looking like it's in a very nice place. It's what we deserve. The level of play we're seeing right now is what we all wish for. Seeing a team press us late, futile and desperate...and not working puts a smile on my face. Watching the threat from outside and inside...the defense...are things that special years are made of. Coach Painter, I'm happy with what you are doing here Sir and I tip my hat. This team is a blast to watch and proud of my alma mater right now. Football is good, basketball is good. Boiler Up!

Reactions: Boiler1313 and BBG
Thought I hop on here and catch up. I'm sure some of you miss me dearly. (TIC and insert sarcasm) So, this team is very effing good! Painter has put together a really good team. Early in the year with the silly tourney losses, I was pretty worried. With the bad few years, it didn't look particularly good. But, since Painter took a couple of years off, he's rebounded very nicely and has this program looking like it's in a very nice place. It's what we deserve. The level of play we're seeing right now is what we all wish for. Seeing a team press us late, futile and desperate...and not working puts a smile on my face. Watching the threat from outside and inside...the defense...are things that special years are made of. Coach Painter, I'm happy with what you are doing here Sir and I tip my hat. This team is a blast to watch and proud of my alma mater right now. Football is good, basketball is good. Boiler Up!
I forgot. Were you one of the few who liked my posts or liked to argue with me?

I forgot. Were you one of the few who liked my posts or liked to argue with me?

Not sure, but I've been critical of Painter. However, I've always been a realist and post the honest truth. That rubs some the wrong way. Just like my latest comments being honest about the state of our team. We're in a good place right now.

What a joke - you can find fault in Painter (as you can in basically every coach in every sport), but to say he "took 2 years off" is such a cheap shot. Were there 2 years of not ideal results? Sure. But to say he mailed it in, took those years off, etc. - get over it.

Glad to see Zionsville get the W! So how did our boy do?
Z was up by a fair amount that the fact MHS scores 25 in the 4th and didn’t win. Likely these two teams are the ones playing against each other in the sectional finals UNLESS they are paired up on the same side of the bracket. The Lafayette sectional this season is: Jefferson, Harrison, McCutcheon, Kokomo, Logansport, and Zionsville.

Thompson: 24 pts, 3.4 ast, 1.8 rbs, 2.1 stl, .1 blk
Phinisee: 30 pts, 5.9 ast, 6.1 rbs, 3.8 stl, .1 blk

And to compare a player in Phinisee's class:
Hunter: 25.4 pts, 3.1 ast, 7.6 rbs, 2.3 stl, .9 blk

MHS has another good player in a sophomore named Farrell who is averaging 11 pts. Other than that, it is a team full of role players. Thompson has a few more higher level players with him who average 12, 11 but a quick drop off after that. I think Hunter is a better comparison to Phinisee and right now a lot of people seem to think that Phinisee probably has the higher ceiling overall but that Hunter's ability to get his own shots likely places him more as a combo guard in the style of Carsen...but I think that's what CMP is going toward. If he can stick two guys in a similar style to Carsen on the floor at the same time, that places an immense amount of pressure on a defense to defend.

In the future, you'll have Eastern, Carsen, Hunter, and hopefully Tyger (albeit a much more true PG type of player) who have or shown an ability to create on their own and making an array of different shots. CMP appears to be trying to find players who can fit multiple roles (Williams comes to mind) that places the defense in a bind while giving his motion style of offense multiple options at the same time. Defending a lineup of Carsen, Eastern, Cline, Williams, and Haarms at once is going to be incredibly hard. The team next year likely won't score as many points and will likely give up more points...but it is a team that is going to force other teams to play out of their own personal comfort zone. It'll be a team that likely loses some head scratchers but could beat some people that'll show their potential the next season. If CMP can get next season's team to 21 wins, that'll be one hell of a coaching job.

And no, Wole did not steal my account here. My brain hasn't been able to dump all my thoughts this weekend as I've been busy celebrating my birthday with my two kiddos all weekend: lots of basketball (playing, watching, scouting) and eating food with them (first trip to BW3's).

Z was up by a fair amount that the fact MHS scores 25 in the 4th and didn’t win. Likely these two teams are the ones playing against each other in the sectional finals UNLESS they are paired up on the same side of the bracket. The Lafayette sectional this season is: Jefferson, Harrison, McCutcheon, Kokomo, Logansport, and Zionsville.

Thompson: 24 pts, 3.4 ast, 1.8 rbs, 2.1 stl, .1 blk
Phinisee: 30 pts, 5.9 ast, 6.1 rbs, 3.8 stl, .1 blk

And to compare a player in Phinisee's class:
Hunter: 25.4 pts, 3.1 ast, 7.6 rbs, 2.3 stl, .9 blk

MHS has another good player in a sophomore named Farrell who is averaging 11 pts. Other than that, it is a team full of role players. Thompson has a few more higher level players with him who average 12, 11 but a quick drop off after that. I think Hunter is a better comparison to Phinisee and right now a lot of people seem to think that Phinisee probably has the higher ceiling overall but that Hunter's ability to get his own shots likely places him more as a combo guard in the style of Carsen...but I think that's what CMP is going toward. If he can stick two guys in a similar style to Carsen on the floor at the same time, that places an immense amount of pressure on a defense to defend.

In the future, you'll have Eastern, Carsen, Hunter, and hopefully Tyger (albeit a much more true PG type of player) who have or shown an ability to create on their own and making an array of different shots. CMP appears to be trying to find players who can fit multiple roles (Williams comes to mind) that places the defense in a bind while giving his motion style of offense multiple options at the same time. Defending a lineup of Carsen, Eastern, Cline, Williams, and Haarms at once is going to be incredibly hard. The team next year likely won't score as many points and will likely give up more points...but it is a team that is going to force other teams to play out of their own personal comfort zone. It'll be a team that likely loses some head scratchers but could beat some people that'll show their potential the next season. If CMP can get next season's team to 21 wins, that'll be one hell of a coaching job.

And no, Wole did not steal my account here. My brain hasn't been able to dump all my thoughts this weekend as I've been busy celebrating my birthday with my two kiddos all weekend: lots of basketball (playing, watching, scouting) and eating food with them (first trip to BW3's).
Interesting stuff, but I have to wonder how relevant. HS is SO much different from high-level college ball. Like the rebounds, sure, it's nice to have a rebounding guard, but college has recruited players to specifically do that. The role of the players you list will not be based on how they rebound.

BW3s is always a memorable experience ... at times it shapes a lifetime ... hopefully not your kiddos'

I'm still curious and excited to see what the other three pieces Painter is going to add to this team. With scholarship management, I really only expect him to add one more high school player and two transfers. But will the transfers be role players like spike? Or stars looking to play for a winner? Will Purdue be the Mecca for transfers?

Reactions: boiler-deuce
What a joke - you can find fault in Painter (as you can in basically every coach in every sport), but to say he "took 2 years off" is such a cheap shot. Were there 2 years of not ideal results? Sure. But to say he mailed it in, took those years off, etc. - get over it.

Not a cheap shot. Your panties are in a wad.

He was the one who had an epic meltdown when Robert Phinisee committed to IU.

He got beat by our guard of the future last night, Isaiah Thompson.

I didn't have a meltdown. Folks like you melted like a snowflake because Painter should have landed him in my opinion. Check yourself about how an opinion can make you melt like that. And to say Phinesee was beaten is an over emotional, dramatic plea. If McCutcheon had won, you'd be running off about how it was a "team loss" and calling it no big deal.

I didn't have a meltdown. Folks like you melted like a snowflake because Painter should have landed him in my opinion. Check yourself about how an opinion can make you melt like that. And to say Phinesee was beaten is an over emotional, dramatic plea. If McCutcheon had won, you'd be running off about how it was a "team loss" and calling it no big deal.
Reminded why I didn’t miss you and your postings.

Hay I remember you. Took a post of mine out of context and tried to make me sound like the worst person in the world. No, did not miss you. Check in in a few years if you must.

And to say Phinesee was beaten is an over emotional, dramatic plea. If McCutcheon had won, you'd be running off about how it was a "team loss" and calling it no big deal.
Since you describe yourself as a "realist", you'll understand how silly it is to make that statement. The reality is that McCutcheon did not win. So why set up make-believe scenarios when they do not represent reality?

Reactions: Inspector100
Hay I remember you. Took a post of mine out of context and tried to make me sound like the worst person in the world. No, did not miss you. Check in in a few years if you must.

Like others who've been scarce lately, he'll post more frequently as soon as Purdue experiences adversity. This was the obligatory and transparent "See, I'm not really against Coach Painter" post that will allow him to later say, "Hey, I gave Painter credit when the team was winning. I just call it like I see it!"

Like others who've been scarce lately, he'll post more frequently as soon as Purdue experiences adversity. This was the obligatory and transparent "See, I'm not really against Coach Painter" post that will allow him to later say, "Hey, I gave Painter credit when the team was winning. I just call it like I see it!"
That is the great thing about all these so called 'realists'. They are so transparent that it is easy to see right through their fake CMP praise.

Then some of them counter with 'well I coach basketball' which unless you coach in the B1G, is laughable at best and is like a cook at Taco Bell trying to tell a classically trained gourmet chef how to cook. If I pick up a clipboard and a whistle I have the same credentials as any of the 'experts' on here claiming they coach and know more than us.

And then the final argument they come back with is that they have a right to an opinion. Which is true they do, but everyone else has a the right to call them out for it when they are so frequently wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inspector100
Good thing I'm an avid swimmer....I'd be drowning from all your tears. LOL. You know you're a snowflake when you bitch even when someone eats a little crow willingly. Find your safe places. No wonder this board perpetually experiences drama. You clowns are never happy. LOL

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
yes and no.

cut down the message, not the messenger.

Oh for sure. I wholeheartedly concur. However, I have a clear and proven track record of being the type that does not initiate that stuff......but will absolutely retaliate in kind. Only here can you visit, post in a positive way and even eat a little crow......and be attacked. If we didn't have a few normal folks here I'd never even visit. Luckily, the asshats don't dirty the pool enough to make stopping by now and then worth the time.

Oh for sure. I wholeheartedly concur. However, I have a clear and proven track record of being the type that does not initiate that stuff......but will absolutely retaliate in kind. Only here can you visit, post in a positive way and even eat a little crow......and be attacked. If we didn't have a few normal folks here I'd never even visit. Luckily, the asshats don't dirty the pool enough to make stopping by now and then worth the time.
I don't think anyone would have read your post as "eating crow". You said that you are happy for the winning because it is what you deserve. And you said that the football and basketball teams finally make you proud of your alma matre -- for now. Doesn't sound like eating crow. Maybe it's just your writing style that people don't understand.

Ah yes, the Robert “Must-get” Phinisee Guy... welcome back!

Can’t grab reply quote but your “I don’t instigate stuff” Last I read, which was a long time ago, was he was going to transfer, per his mum. Is this still allegedly the case?

This post titled Eastern is now blocked from comments. https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/eastern.136146/#post-1619650

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Here's the bright side. We have an AD now that will pull the plug on Painter if this crapshow continues. Last night was a joke. This team is weak from a physical standard. And weak mentally. I don't care about the Freshmen. I don't care about the commits. I don' think this AD will either. He rightfully punted Hazell and I think has set the bar with that move. Painters seat is warming up and it's very possible we'll see a 3 game winless trip to the tourney. Go to the Bahamas and not win a game? After all the talk about the overseas trip and growth/jelling we'd get from it? We should be ahead of the other teams with all extra games and practices. Painter had better get this team out of the ditch or "He gone". We can sit here and call for him to be canned or mindlessly defend him....that decision won't be made by us.

Painter is to blame for a choice an 18 year old kid makes.

I totally comprehend he didn't want to come to Purdue. Oh, I get it. And, that's on Painter.

Funny thing about the internet Deuce, it never forgets.

Let me know if you would like me to continue.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Can’t grab reply quote but your “I don’t instigate stuff” Last I read, which was a long time ago, was he was going to transfer, per his mum. Is this still allegedly the case?

This post titled Eastern is now blocked from comments. https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/eastern.136146/#post-1619650
posters like the OP are just butthurt because just about every complaint they have had about CMP has been proven wrong. Now that they all have a huge slathering of egg on their face the only recourse they have is thinly veiled posts like these expecting everyone to welcome them back and hold them on our shoulders like they are a returning hero.

Every single one of them has lost any shred of credibility they have had and the forum is better for their non-existence on here. We have still had some threads that had spiraled out of control, but for the first time in a while there has been some actual good discussions going on since those negative types, like the OP, have been largely MIA.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
right now a lot of people seem to think that Phinisee probably has the higher ceiling overall .

I'm a bit surprised that a lot of people think that Phinisee has a higher ceiling than Hunter...or Thompson. Surprised only due to what appears to be a lot of physical maturity to go for Thompson and Hunter where as Phinisee is much closer to his physical ceiling. None of this suggest they are wrong, but it appears to not take into consideration just how much more physically developed Phinisee is than either of the other two.

Based upon that I would think the ceiling is higher for Hunter and Thompson, but I too may be wrong since I have NOT spent much time comparing each and have never seen Hunter play in person. Then again...what is the "ceiling" for comparison?

I'm a bit surprised that a lot of people think that Phinisee has a higher ceiling than Hunter...or Thompson. Surprised only due to what appears to be a lot of physical maturity to go for Thompson and Hunter where as Phinisee is much closer to his physical ceiling. None of this suggest they are wrong, but it appears to not take into consideration just how much more physically developed Phinisee is than either of the other two.

Based upon that I would think the ceiling is higher for Hunter and Thompson, but I too may be wrong since I have NOT spent much time comparing each and have never seen Hunter play in person. Then again...what is the "ceiling" for comparison?
I will trust Purdue's coach on this one. He wanted two of them, appears to have passed on the other. For me that tells me all I need to know.

I will trust Purdue's coach on this one. He wanted two of them, appears to have passed on the other. For me that tells me all I need to know.
Agree with this. If this season has shown us anything, it's that Painter has a very good eye for talent. It wasn't long ago that those same posters griping about us not wanting Phinisee, thought this crop of seniors wouldn't amount to anything. A top 5 ranking pretty much has proven them wrong and then some.

I like that, but the are not a direct comparison and may reflect a directional difference. Phinisee appears to be more of a true 1 and the others more of a combo type player. Matt may be wanting to move in a direction that values his two better than Phinisee. STill, Purdue's two are much less physically developed adn I believe may have the higher ceiling as a result

Snowflake, yes. we are expected to get a few tonight. Pretty strange to get some this far south twice in one year.
The year I lived in New Orleans I remember getting some snow/ice. I thought people in Dallas lost their minds with that kind of weather but the fine folks of NOLA beat them.

Phinisee vs Isiah ?? comparison? I hadn't heard that one before. I believe it would be a worthy discussion. I'm not really biased either way.

I'm not one of those who believes somebody who scores 25+ ppg and shoots threes is really a PG.

I'm also not high on a player just because he has a brother at Purdue. I'm not big on legacy players - except for when they're 6th string QBs named Allstott of course.

is it possible to discuss the pros and cons of each player without our posters getting upset, and also "defensive" and having this thread blocked or deleted. it gets tiresome when discussion is stifled. and lanes of communications are shut down. My mother told me, it takes two to fight.

hear goes.

from what I've read, Phinisee is a player with excellent court vision who likes to pass. Isiah is a player who likes to shoot and drive to score. both players are rather short. don't really know about their defense. Was Phinisee guarding hunter and Isiah when they played each other? of Phinisee and Isiah, who would fill the greater need for Purdue?

to me, Phinisee must fill some of those passing needs painter seeks, otherwise he wouldn't still be recruiting Tyger - the all pass - no shoot guard.

Phinisee vs Isiah ?? comparison? I hadn't heard that one before. I believe it would be a worthy discussion. I'm not really biased either way.

I'm not one of those who believes somebody who scores 25+ ppg and shoots threes is really a PG.

I'm also not high on a player just because he has a brother at Purdue. I'm not big on legacy players - except for when they're 6th string QBs named Allstott of course.

is it possible to discuss the pros and cons of each player without our posters getting upset, and also "defensive" and having this thread blocked or deleted. it gets tiresome when discussion is stifled. and lanes of communications are shut down. My mother told me, it takes two to fight.

hear goes.

from what I've read, Phinisee is a player with excellent court vision who likes to pass. Isiah is a player who likes to shoot and drive to score. both players are rather short. don't really know about their defense. Was Phinisee guarding hunter and Isiah when they played each other? of Phinisee and Isiah, who would fill the greater need for Purdue?

to me, Phinisee must fill some of those passing needs painter seeks, otherwise he wouldn't still be recruiting Tyger - the all pass - no shoot guard.
Phinisee's high school career has been in a zone scheme only. Could be a reason as to why CMP went harder after Hunter and Thompson given CMP has more to go on when looking at the complete player rather than trying to project Phinisee from a defensive standpoint.

Because of that zone defense, it appears that there have never really been head to head match-ups with the two player going to Purdue. I believe Phinisee leads Thompson in wins over their careers in high school BUT Robert's talent during Thompson's first two years was much higher on his team compared to this season. Zionsville is favored to win the Lafayette/Kokomo sectional this season.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

hear goes.

Tyger isn't an all pass and no shoot PG....he just chooses to pass first because he enjoys getting his teammates involved more heavily. He has an ability to get his shot if and when he needs/wants to....he would just rather get his teammates involved knowing that it benefits the entire team rather than just padding his own stats. He would be a hell of a combo to put in with Carsen or Hunter in the same fashion many are excited to see Nojel paired with those two next season in a larger role.

Reactions: BBG and Do Dah Day
Phinisee's high school career has been in a zone scheme only. Could be a reason as to why CMP went harder after Hunter and Thompson given CMP has more to go on when looking at the complete player rather than trying to project Phinisee from a defensive standpoint.

Because of that zone defense, it appears that there have never really been head to head match-ups with the two player going to Purdue. I believe Phinisee leads Thompson in wins over their careers in high school BUT Robert's talent during Thompson's first two years was much higher on his team compared to this season. Zionsville is favored to win the Lafayette/Kokomo sectional this season.
well done, good and faithful ...

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT