ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He continues to improve each game, especially over the last 4. Major minutes today because I heard PJ was ill. Made 2 of 3 FT's and you can definitely tell he has been working on his shooting technique. I can live with the turnovers if he grabs 10 rebounds a game and defends well. Carsen and Biggie were both TO machines at times as a freshman as well. Really like his potential, physically very gifted.

He plays hard. Hopefully the coaches can work with him on his scoring but he plays smart and plays tough every minute on the court. There is always a place on the court for a guy like that. Bailed us out at Michigan and provided much needed coverage for PJs illness today. He is already making a difference on this team.

Did some good things today but the out of control turn overs on the offensive end shows that if he doesn't calm down and learn to play under control, we could be in trouble if we have to count on him for extended minutes in a tight game.

Thankfully we have a steady PJ who's still steady and solid when sick.

Did some good things today but the out of control turn overs on the offensive end shows that if he doesn't calm down and learn to play under control, we could be in trouble if we have to count on him for extended minutes in a tight game.

I liked his aggressiveness today and it was nice to see him get extended minutes and get in a groove. 10 rebounds?!...nuff said!

Can you not see him maturing right in front of us? I saw him take a peak or two at driving the lane, he chose not to. It’s not going to be long before he goes. Once he figures out when and where his spots are and has the conference to go he is going to add a whole different dimension to his game. It’s coming, I can see it. He is no different that 90% of the true freshman I have seen play. He is scared to make a mistake. Once that wears off he is on his way.

There will always be critics. If I were you, I'd take it with a grain of salt or ignore it. I know it can't be easy seeing criticism on your son. But it's going to happen here.

I thought he played well. He has been a monster on the boards and defends incredibly well. He absolutely bothers smaller guards. He has made a case for more playing time and when Cline was struggling, I was glad he got a chance. Nojel has very consistently improved throughout the year and will be a major piece of this team makes a deep run.

Before the year I thought Purdue greatly needed an elite rim defender. Haarms has done an incredible job as a freshman.

I also though Purdue needed some help at the guard position to guard elite speedy guards they may face come tournament time. Nojel has been a lockdown defender and that is downright impressive as a freshman. Look at how well Painter improves his guys on defense and Nojel is starting this level. I firmly believe as he will have a shot at defensive player of the year if he stays four years.

Purdue was in dire need of rebounding. Nojel has grabbed crucial boards through defenders and has looked like the best most instinctive rebounder on the team. Loved his two put backs against Michigan and he was great again on the boards.

This team is finding a way to answer the biggest questions. I love the chances to make some noise in the tournament and it will be done in big part by the freshmen. Love that they keep improving!

Looks like NE has taken most of the rebounds that used to go to Biggie. At least in this game he did. Please tell us how much fun he had today.

For B1G conference games only...I think Nojel's big day today moved him above JJJ and up to #5 in Reb/g for B1G freshmen. He's doing that with the fewest conference MPG of any of the B1G's top 10 freshmen rebounders.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
There will always be critics. If I were you, I'd take it with a grain of salt or ignore it. I know it can't be easy seeing criticism on your son. But it's going to happen here.
I’m good I get it some on here can do better than him on the court so wanna critique his game and complain about his play bcuz he not PERFECT. My son text me right after the game and ask me (mom how did I do) I replied baby boy you played very well in replace of PJ I’m so proud of you but take better care of the ball he then replied back I will thank Mom.

I thought he played well. He has been a monster on the boards and defends incredibly well. He absolutely bothers smaller guards. He has made a case for more playing time and when Cline was struggling, I was glad he got a chance. Nojel has very consistently improved throughout the year and will be a major piece of this team makes a deep run.

Before the year I thought Purdue greatly needed an elite rim defender. Haarms has done an incredible job as a freshman.

I also though Purdue needed some help at the guard position to guard elite speedy guards they may face come tournament time. Nojel has been a lockdown defender and that is downright impressive as a freshman. Look at how well Painter improves his guys on defense and Nojel is starting this level. I firmly believe as he will have a shot at defensive player of the year if he stays four years.

Purdue was in dire need of rebounding. Nojel has grabbed crucial boards through defenders and has looked like the best most instinctive rebounder on the team. Loved his two put backs against Michigan and he was great again on the boards.

This team is finding a way to answer the biggest questions. I love the chances to make some noise in the tournament and it will be done in big part by the freshmen. Love that they keep improving!

I agree Eastern played well. For the life of me, I have no idea why people are criticizing a freshman with his upside. But I guess more power to them.

Agreed. If you watch his defense, he can dominate his opponent.

Can you not see him maturing right in front of us? I saw him take a peak or two at driving the lane, he chose not to. It’s not going to be long before he goes. Once he figures out when and where his spots are and has the conference to go he is going to add a whole different dimension to his game. It’s coming, I can see it. He is no different that 90% of the true freshman I have seen play. He is scared to make a mistake. Once that wears off he is on his way.
You said it best.

... Nojel has grabbed crucial boards through defenders and has looked like the best most instinctive rebounder on the team. Loved his two put backs against Michigan and he was great again on the boards.

I agree about the "instinctive rebound." I focused on him for a few minutes and he has an innate image of where the ball is going to go and he goes HARD to that spot. I have rarely seen a player at any level go HARD to where he just knows the ball is going.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Nojel is making a big impact in games now and his confidence is growing with each game. It is really a blessing for him to be learning the ropes under this great group of seniors. The experience he is gaining playing for a top 5 team is invaluable. He could very well be playing for this years NCAA Champions. Nojel will be an absolute beast at Purdue. I love Nojel.

Always something
Glad to see him having fun with his teammates at McCutcheon tonight. He is really coming into it, and it’s very exciting to see.

I agree about the "instinctive rebound." I focused on him for a few minutes and he has an innate image of where the ball is going to go and he goes HARD to that spot. I have rarely seen a player at any level go HARD to where he just knows the ball is going.
He’s always been that way since 10 years old when he grabbed 32 rebounds made 25 FTs and scored 43 points at div 2 AAU National and single handily beat that team so instincts he has he’s now gaining confidence and learning from the seniors who is encouraging him to just play your game so now he’s just putting it all together now with his opportunities he gets. Rivals has a video out don’t no how to put on this board but he was interviewed about what has changed since November my son explains in video. Bottom line he’s coming into his own finding his way with the seniors and rest of the team supporting him and that will help him a long way. Just proud of him how he has stayed focused and never quit or gave up bcuz his teammates believe in him and that is what fueling him to get better each day.

Like any freshman, he has his flaws. But it's kind of scary to think what kind of player he can become if he turns his shooting from a weakness into a strength and cleans up his ball-handling/decision-making. Great attitude, so I'm confident he will work his hardest to get there.

He’s always been that way since 10 years old when he grabbed 32 rebounds made 25 FTs and scored 43 points at div 2 AAU National and single handily beat that team so instincts he has he’s now gaining confidence and learning from the seniors who is encouraging him to just play your game so now he’s just putting it all together now with his opportunities he gets. Rivals has a video out don’t no how to put on this board but he was interviewed about what has changed since November my son explains in video. Bottom line he’s coming into his own finding his way with the seniors and rest of the team supporting him and that will help him a long way. Just proud of him how he has stayed focused and never quit or gave up bcuz his teammates believe in him and that is what fueling him to get better each day.
There are coachable things and there are uncoachable things ... that intuitive "Know where the ball is going" PLUS (and this is the big plus) "The quick translation from mental to physical motion" that propels his body to the right place at the right time ... it just "is." Uncoachable ...

My son was a very talented basketball player in 8th grade. he quit his team because of the harsh criticism of his mistakes, Even though, his mistakes were minor, and his talents were immense, he felt his coach had singled him out too many times. Another player the previous year quit the same team because of the same coach. My son felt he was being unreasonably bullied. After a long talk with my son, the junior high principal , and athletic director, my son rejoined the team. And the advice he received? The criticism will only become harder at each level you play.. and that criticism will come from coaches, fans, the media, opponents, friends, classmates and total strangers. And that prophecy was correct. For every TO, missed Ft, missed rebound, missed shot, and loss, my son received criticism from every possible source. I would give anything to shelter my son from the criticism he received. They won regionals, but lost to the eventual state champion - Harrisburg.

and I watched in horror when as a senior his legs collapsed running the anchor leg of his school's 4x100 relay sectional negating his opportunity to compete at the Illinois high school state championship. he had already won and qualified for 3 previous events.

Both of my son's dreams were shattered. but he received a couple of second chances. He received an academic scholarship to pay for college. and a Division 1 track coach who had followed his high school career offered him a spot on heir track team. . Four years later, you would not believe how many times coming home after practice he would complain and quit and whine about the criticism.

I've been sick all week. Today, he sent me a text. I cleared 22 feet in the long jump and 6' something in the high jump. Where was the text sent from? The University of Illinois Indoor relays. 22 feet was his lifetime best. and you can bet his coach probably criticized him for his 60 hurdles time. My son is a decathlete , not a long jumper or hurdler. He has 10 events he has to be good at, and if he excels in one, he will receive criticism in another.

Next week is Vanderbilt. He'll return to compete against IU in Gloomington on 26-27 January. He's headed to go against Tenn, Kansas and California later this year. Each stop represents both a challenge and more criticism. The criticism will never stop. I never thought my son was very good until today when I read his bio. He placed 8th in last year's MVC Conference championship in the Decathlon. To most that's nothing special. Then I read the fine print. his point total in last year's championship was the highest point total for an SIU decathlete since 2008. In other words, this guy who gets zero press was his school's best decathlete over the past decade.

and the one thing I have told him all his life and I've reminded his very protective mama bear mother is that people would never criticize him if they didn't believe he didn't have talent. People would not push him if they didn't believe in him. and the media only places athletes on pedestals - so they can tear them down. I couldn't believe the amount of criticism and other things that were thrown at Joe Barry Carrol. I learned last year, times haven't changed much. and also, there are a lot of immature, clueless, stubburn, old, argumentative fools who post on message boards.

what happened to the other boy who quit? He's now a clerk at Staples.

when a stone is thrown at you, you have several choices. you can walk away. you can throw it back even harder, or you can try a new philosophy and hand it back to the person who threw it at you and tell them politely, I believe you dropped something.

I can't stop the personal baiting and attacks and criticism that occur on this board. I can post on how I cope with them. And unfortunately, I don't always follow my own advice.

We have a bait shop and fishing store in our little town called the crappy pro shop. How you pronounce it, is YOUR choice depending on your background and culture.. half full? or half empty?

Last edited:
It’s intresting how many threads are started about NE. No offense Mrs. Treed, but he is a freedman. What is it that makes so many want to post about this kids play? Serious question.

I can’t recall a single thread started about DM and what he means to the team.

It’s intresting how many threads are started about NE. No offense Mrs. Treed, but he is a freedman. What is it that makes so many want to post about this kids play? Serious question.

Your guess is good as mine. I no who he is as a player and what he can do as a player when he is given a chance to play. It’s starting to click for him now and maybe some thought he isn’t what some thought he was when he came to purdue bcuz of a few games into the season he had a rocky start when in fact he is everything I no he is as player and he’s now with the help of his teammates showing what he is capable of doing. The amount of work he puts in on his game to get better is now showing on the court with his opportunities what he can do. Hes maximizing his opportunities when he’s been given to him and he’s doing everything he can to help this team win.

It looks like that interview you were referring to is "premium content" so probably not able to post it here.

I believe the difference is that he's just a Freshman, but with all this upside.
In my opinion, nobody could really see Dakota becoming the player he is today, when he was just an incoming Freshman. He always seemed a step slow; he has admitted his defense was not a strong point of his game, etc. (We knew he'd be good), but nobody foresaw his emergence as the team's defensive leader, and being mentioned with the B1G elite in that regard.

I think back to Ray Day's Freshman year, and he had momentary flashes of greatness; times where you could kinda almost see him becoming just a powerhouse all around player. There were points during his Sophomore season that I thought: "Man, he's ready to just break-out; to become that elite, all around stud and just carry this team to greatness..."
Rapheal became a really good player for Purdue, but (IMHO), he never quite tapped all that he could have been offensively, or what he showed flashes of being capable of doing during his Freshman and Sophomore years.
I LOVED Ray, and he is still one of my all time favorite Boilers....
But i see something in Nojel that makes me say "when it happens..." not "if it ever happens...".

Nojel is different, as we can clearly see his potential. You can almost see the light coming on for him, and it's exciting to watch. It creates interest, and a buzz in all of us; both casual fans, and those true die-hard fans alike.

Finally, when you see a player with the complete package: quickness, size, vision, IQ and natural instincts/abilities, all rolled up together in one package like that; you just know he's gonna be a special player.
I for one, want to soak up every minute of his maturation process, and enjoy the ride as he comes into his own. It's a rare treat to get this kind of opportunity as a fan to watch it all unfold.

To me, that is the difference; it's why all the focus and attention seems to surround this fine young man, and his progress with the team. We're all just anxiously waiting for his coming out party, and everyone want to be able to say we were there watching when it happened.

Just my 2¢...

I believe the difference is that he's just a Freshman, but with all this upside.
In my opinion, nobody could really see Dakota becoming the player he is today, when he was just an incoming Freshman. He always seemed a step slow; he has admitted his defense was not a strong point of his game, etc. (We knew he'd be good), but nobody foresaw his emergence as the team's defensive leader, and being mentioned with the B1G elite in that regard.

I think back to Ray Day's Freshman year, and he had momentary flashes of greatness; times where you could kinda almost see him becoming just a powerhouse all around player. There were points during his Sophomore season that I thought: "Man, he's ready to just break-out; to become that elite, all around stud and just carry this team to greatness..."
Rapheal became a really good player for Purdue, but (IMHO), he never quite tapped all that he could have been offensively, or what he showed flashes of being capable of doing during his Freshman and Sophomore years.
I LOVED Ray, and he is still one of my all time favorite Boilers....
But i see something in Nojel that makes me say "when it happens..." not "if it ever happens...".

Nojel is different, as we can clearly see his potential. You can almost see the light coming on for him, and it's exciting to watch. It creates interest, and a buzz in all of us; both casual fans, and those true die-hard fans alike.

Finally, when you see a player with the complete package: quickness, size, vision, IQ and natural instincts/abilities, all rolled up together in one package like that; you just know he's gonna be a special player.
I for one, want to soak up every minute of his maturation process, and enjoy the ride as he comes into his own. It's a rare treat to get this kind of opportunity as a fan to watch it all unfold.

To me, that is the difference; it's why all the focus and attention seems to surround this fine young man, and his progress with the team. We're all just anxiously waiting for his coming out party, and everyone want to be able to say we were there watching when it happened.

Just my 2¢...

Well said.

I think most of the criticism posts aren’t really criticism but voicing optimism/anticipation for the player we see he can be when it all clicks. It is tantalizing at times. The 2 drives he made in the second half were impressive except the finish. He is so close people are just excited to see him finish those plays with authority.

Sorta related...My son is a good musician. I hear him practicing and he is great but then stumbles on a part multiple times. It is frustrating because I have heard him play that part correctly in isolation over and over but he just hasn’t integrated it in to the whole. When it all comes together it is a thing of beauty, but the waiting is hard.

Okay but CE had many similar moments last year while learning the system, players and expectations. I've said this before that the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT