ADVERTISEMENT

Haas

Sorry, my response to your post earlier was not posted for some reason.

I am asking for the source of the analytics for last year. I am a numbers guy and I watched all the games last year and with few exceptions, our big lineup dominated. When they were together either the score went in our directions or their big men picked up multiple fouls. Ingrained in my mind was in the Tournament and how the big lineup was a game changer against Vermont and it set up the win against Iowa State. We went to it too late against Kansas.

Your post wasn't directed at me, but I found the article I remembered about the lineup change: CBSSports Article. It doesn't have the stats in the article, but Norlander writes, "Painter has tracked this, and the efficiency numbers are undeniable, he said. The ball also moves better."

My memory isn't good enough to remember the specifics, so I'm relying on the game logs on PurdueSports for the tournament in-game lineups. Against Vermont Cline's early 4th foul led to the big lineup. All 3 bigs were on the floor from 15:44 to 6:34 left in the 2nd half, and the lead grew from 4 to 5 during that time (link). For the ISU game, it looks to me like every time Vince/Biggie/Isaac came in, one of them went to the bench meaning the big lineup never appeared (link). I could certainly have read them incorrectly & the logs sometimes have errors, so any corrections are appreciated as always.

Reactions: nagemj02
Your post wasn't directed at me, but I found the article I remembered about the lineup change: CBSSports Article. It doesn't have the stats in the article, but Norlander writes, "Painter has tracked this, and the efficiency numbers are undeniable, he said. The ball also moves better."

My memory isn't good enough to remember the specifics, so I'm relying on the game logs on PurdueSports for the tournament in-game lineups. Against Vermont Cline's early 4th foul led to the big lineup. All 3 bigs were on the floor from 15:44 to 6:34 left in the 2nd half, and the lead grew from 4 to 5 during that time (link). For the ISU game, it looks to me like every time Vince/Biggie/Isaac came in, one of them went to the bench meaning the big lineup never appeared (link). I could certainly have read them incorrectly & the logs sometimes have errors, so any corrections are appreciated as always.

That's the article I was referring to and I think Andy Katz (before ESPN sent him packing) had a similar article about the lineup tweaks as well. I don't know if Purdue's Sports Reference page specifically tracks the efficiency of various lineups, but there are a lot of metrics on there:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/purdue/2017.html

Your link was for Iowa State. I am not good at computers, so I went to basketball stats here at rivals and clicked on Vermont game and game stream. It did not tell me who subbed in and out. However, it said Cline fouled at 644 and Haas showed up immediately. Haas was also in a little past 1544. Mathias then hit a 3 and I do not know if Haas was in or out. However, in YOUR time span Purdue led 19-15, however more importantly Vermont picked up 5 fouls to our 0 fouls.

I would like to see the game again, because I remember Purdue dominating by us working it inside and they shooting jump shots thus the foul discrepancy. However, it had Vermont making more lay ups than I recall. Were they fast breaks? I remember one Vermont player cutting to the basket and the rebound hit hard off the front of the rim right to him and he layed it in, but that is one of the few layups against Haas in the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT