ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State v. Purdue (BTT Quarterfinal Game Thread)

Ivey makes an incredible play and ur reaction is to defend painter? Lmfao

We just watched a guy painter benched the entire season win the game for us and ur still defending painter when ivey makes a miracle play
He sucked every time he got minutes. Glad he broke out. Sasha sucked, Paint gave Newman a look when they needed a spark. Painter is genius.

Now, to the true Purdue fans. Having coached this game for many years, there are times when you coach based on the player's work ethic in practice, along with how they play in the game. It's not an exact science!

"I've spent 6 hours with your son in our practices since the last game, but I understand you know more than me and you want your son to play." (DWS)

CMP does so many things well. I hope Brandon gets more chances, but in Painter (and Keady's) defense, they always defer to their seniors.

Now, to the true Purdue fans. Having coached this game for many years, there are times when you coach based on the player's work ethic in practice, along with how they play in the game. It's not an exact science!

"I've spent 6 hours with your son in our practices since the last game, but I understand you know more than me and you want your son to play." (DWS)

CMP does so many things well. I hope Brandon gets more chances, but in Painter (and Keady's) defense, they always defer to their seniors.
They do, but Sasha was brutal tonight.

Reactions: PaBoiler78
Way to step up Brandon! This team needs everyone playing hard and taking pride in their defense and good things will happen. Nothing against IT and Furst but it’s time to go to a 8 man rotation.

Enjoy the Logansport Regional and seeing two future Boilers - I have hunch they will be good ones.

Westfield going for its first Regional crown. Michigan City has some potential good match-ups, too.
I think the last time I was in the Logansport gym was to see Purdue and Woody Austin in an intersquad scrimmage prior to Woody's freshman year.

Didn't catch the game but read thru some of this thread... man some of you guys just shouldn't post during games.
Everyone wants Purdue to do well, but there are so many posts where a person states his or her thoughts or feelings on something without any or very little qualifiers for support to better understand the comment. Being in a game I understand why the texts are short, but the same things happen outside a game.

Here is something a lot of people miss. Just because something does not appear to be working does NOT mean something else would work better. In a game where just a few possessions typically make a difference, experimentation is not a high priority when minor tweaks SHOULD be enough to make huge differences

Anyone catch Newman and Shrews embracing after the game long enough to hold the handshake line up?
"something something transfer to PSU, I believe in you something something"

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I think the last time I was in the Logansport gym was to see Purdue and Woody Austin in an intersquad scrimmage prior to Woody's freshman year.
Last time I was was to chew the fat with Eddie Schilling when he was coaching there. Good Gawd, how long ago was THAT???

I looked it up, fall of 1991- spring of 1995

Reactions: tjreese
last time I was up there ( late 70's) was to see Mike Little, Mark Schepler, Mark Leslie, and Pat Tierney ( who has since passed)

Reactions: tjreese
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. What a way to spend a Friday night.....it's the Penn State Nittany Lions (#11-seed) taking on the #9-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (#3-seed) in the last of the quarterfinal round games of the 2022 Big Ten Tournament. The winner takes on the winner of Michigan State/Wisconsin in the second semi-final round game tomorrow afternoon. This game is slated for around 9:00 pm (Eastern) after the Michigan State/Wisconsin game with television coverage on the Big Ten Network.

These two schools played just once during the regular season, back on January 8, with Purdue winning in Happy Valley, 74-67. Trevion Williams had 21 points along with 9 rebounds and 2 assists in leading the Boilers.

Penn State made it two straight wins in the Big Ten Tournament with a come-from-behind win over Ohio State. Guards Sam Sessoms and Jalen Pickett combined for 34 points and controlled the tempo and pace of the game throughout the second half. Pickett added 8 rebounds and 5 assists in a complete performance. Big man John Harrar added 12 points and 9 rebounds including a big put-back basket with under two minutes left that helped seal the win. Purdue has been off since last Saturday after dispatching Indiana in its regular season finale.

Penn State dominated the scoring in the paint against Ohio State, and they'll battle Purdue but are not likely to have the same advantage or point differential. Look for them to extend their defense as well to try and rattle the Boilers and force them into some turnovers. Purdue did a fairly decent job in the regular season game limiting to eight and actually winning the edge as Penn State committed 11. For Purdue, Eric Hunter, Jr. is playing much better than earlier in the year, and he provides a bigger spark now - he was scoreless in 15 minutes in the first meeting. Jaden Ivey also did not have a good shooting game last time around. If he has a more efficient game, I like the Boilers chances.

They'll continue to work inside/outside initially. Zach Edey, plagued with foul trouble in the earlier game, will be a focal point.....look for him to have more of an impact than just the nine minutes he played last time. Mason Gillis had 14 points last time, his season high. He is a big key for the Boilers as well from a number of perspectives, as he is becoming the unsung player bringing the needed toughness factor to the floor. He has also shot well in the limited opportunities he has had.

Penn State will battle; expect a tough physical Big Ten grinder. This game will most likely come down to Purdue's ability to come with energy and execute with poise......do that, and they should prevail. However, if the inconsistent Boilers show up - Penn State could make them pay. Are the Boilers poised to get on track for a big post-season run?

We shall see starting in a little more than an hour or so.

Boiler up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i
Just got home. Will write tonight about the morning games...rumors etc
Talk to Dave shellhouse a few

@tjreese - Dang - has anyone covered more ground in coaching than Schilling - he graduated college in '88 ... My gawd. only 34 years ago.
1985-88Miami (Ohio)Student-Athlete
1988-91Western Boone HS (Ind.)Head Coach
1991-95Logansport HS (Ind.)Head Coach
1995-96UMassAsst. Coach
1996-97New Jersey NetsAsst. Coach
1997-03Wright StateHead Coach
2003-05MemphisAsst. Coach
2007-13Adidas NationsHead Coach
2009-13Park Tudor HS (Ind.)Head Coach
2009-13St. Vincent’s Sports PerformanceNBA Readiness
2013-17UCLAAsst. Coach
2017-19IndianaAsst. Coach