ADVERTISEMENT

Guard Play

My take away is they're going to need to trim and shore up the rotation pretty early in the season. Preferably to an 8 man. These guys just look out of sync and not comfortable yet playing with one another. Need to establish a nucleus and get them minutes together to form those bonds.

They played poorly, but so did Gillis, TKR, and Furst. Now that I think about it, really only ZE played well. Can't say it was only poor guard play.

I thought Caleb Furst did some good things....not stellar. Your general point about Zach Edey being about it for playing well.....yes.....as for the offense:

Zach Edey - 30
five players with 5 (Smith, Newman, Loyer, Jenkins, and Waddell)....ouch.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
I thought Caleb Furst did some good things....not stellar. Your general point about Zach Edey being about it for playing well.....yes.....as for the offense:

Zach Edey - 30
five players with 5 (Smith, Newman, Loyer, Jenkins, and Waddell)....ouch.
I guess in terms of the offense, guard play was better than the forwards. Good thing ZE came to play.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I guess in terms of the offense, guard play was better than the forwards. Good thing ZE came to play.

You never know - sometimes these types of games help in the end......lots of training tape, for sure after this one. The looks were decent for the most part......just going to have to get used to growing pains I guess. Next week will be a good test with Marquette.

You never know - sometimes these types of games help in the end......lots of training tape, for sure after this one. The looks were decent for the most part......just going to have to get used to growing pains I guess. Next week will be a good test with Marquette.
Ugly. Grinding. It kind of looked like a Big10 game to me. The turnovers weren’t good. The shooting could be better.

When you don’t double Edey, that’s what a game looks like. He’s going to feast. The others might struggle some.

Classic game of when you aren't shooting well, you can still defend. Not my favorite type of game. Playing like we did tonight won't win a lot of Big 10 games. Painter needs to play with the rotations a bit.

Classic game of when you aren't shooting well, you can still defend. Not my favorite type of game. Playing like we did tonight won't win a lot of Big 10 games. Painter needs to play with the rotations a bit.

For sure, ugly. Love Newman's & TKRs aggression again. Thought Wadfell played ok.

Turnovers, & just missing really good shots. Guards from my memory only had 2-3 drives to the bucket. Guards need to get that corrected as we saw tonight somtimes shots don't fall.....but geez that was epicly bad shooting. Never thought I would see that from Boiler's since CMP changed to recruiting a shooter or 2 in each class.

Mamma said they'll be days like this. Brutal on my hip replacement surgery I had last week.

I still like the confidence in the guards, Smith, Loyer, Jenkins, but our guard play may have been better than forward play.

Onward and grow.

Good luck with your rehabilitation and recovery, Gem. Cheers.

200w.gif

They played poorly, but so did Gillis, TKR, and Furst. Now that I think about it, really only ZE played well. Can't say it was only poor guard play.
I was at the game. Other than poor 3 point shooting and Smith and Edey having too many turnovers, I thought we played well. I thought Furst was outstanding on the boards and played well overall. Had to concentrate on defense because Hutchins-Everett is really good - a four star recruit who. was all OVC and freshman of the year last year.

Stephen Bardo released his all-freshmen B1G team last night based on what he's seen so far:

Skyy Clark, Ill,
J Howard, Mich
D Simpson, Rut
B Sensebaugh, OSU,
Braden Smith, Purdue

Apparently he prefers
5'11", 2.5 assists, 3.5 TOs, 6 ppg on 30% shooting to
6'6", 6.0 assists, 2.5 TOs, 7.8 ppg on 42% shooting.

Must be based on potential!
Good luck with Marquette tonight - not seeing them with an answer to Edey.

Stephen Bardo released his all-freshmen B1G team last night based on what he's seen so far:

Skyy Clark, Ill,
J Howard, Mich
D Simpson, Rut
B Sensebaugh, OSU,
Braden Smith, Purdue

Apparently he prefers

But how many flexes does he have?

Well Stephen Bardo believes Braden Smith is better than Jalen Hood-Schifino. Is that realistic? No. But it's also Stephen Bardo so take that as you please.

Skyy Clark, Ill,
J Howard, Mich
D Simpson, Rut
B Sensebaugh, OSU,
Braden Smith, Purdue

Apparently he prefers

Are you really complaining about some guys all-freshman team picks 2 games into the season?

Reactions: PUQBMan.
Freshmen backcourt playing it's FIRST home game on Keady court and experiencing what we all dreamed about growing up.
Yeh, lets get concerned that they might have been a bit over amped. ;)

Skyy Clark, Ill,
J Howard, Mich
D Simpson, Rut
B Sensebaugh, OSU,
Braden Smith, Purdue

Apparently he prefers

Apparently he has eyes that see the whole game and can see what is going to be.
You'll see that soon enough.

Apparently he has eyes that see the whole game and can see what is going to be.
You'll see that soon enough.

Nono IMSTRONG or whatever is the box score and recruiting star ratings expert. There is no way that JHS isn't better than Smith based solely on the facts that
1. JHS played at Montverde and was a 5* recruit
2. He averages more points and assists... duh. Ignore defensive stats, we don't like those.

Skyy Clark, Ill,
J Howard, Mich
D Simpson, Rut
B Sensebaugh, OSU,
Braden Smith, Purdue

Apparently he prefers

Purdue had a 6'6" point guard once upon a time that scored 7.5 ppg and shot 50%. I prefer Smith's game.

• Haha
Nono IMSTRONG or whatever is the box score and recruiting star ratings expert. There is no way that JHS isn't better than Smith based solely on the facts that
2. He averages more points and assists... duh. Ignore defensive stats, we don't like those.
Actually, a player who has been the 5* point guard, defensive stopper, and team captain for high school national champion Montverde is a pretty damn good indicator of future success.

Yes you were just derisively listing what you consider to be the important comparative stats but totally not complaining at all! Omg how could anyone even think such a thing?!
Good point. I do think that Bardo is a dumbass. Maybe even doing a disservice to Braden Smith by generating locker room wall material when Smith didn't ask for it to be generated.

Mmm. "Really nice kid" might be true. Not how most of us would describe him. More like "Tough as nails" , "Super competitive" , "Athletic" , " Gym rat baller" .
All good qualities to be!

Now if he adds for a B1G point guard, "laterally quick," "gets to the rim," "makes plays without turning it over," "high percentage shooter," and "can deal with bigs in ball screen situations" he'll be the whole package.

Actually, a player who has been the 5* point guard, defensive stopper, and team captain for high school national champion Montverde is a pretty damn good indicator of future success.

You have brought this up before... how does Cade Cunningham's success impact how good JHS will be?

You have brought this up before... how does Cade Cunningham's success impact how good JHS will be?
Cade Cunningham was the #1 overall player in his high school class and his offensive game was far more developed than Jalen Hood Schifino.

OKSt the year before Cunningham: 18-14
OKSt with Cunningham: 21-9
OKST the year after Cunningham: 15-15

While measurables aren't the whole package, they matter. A 5* Montverde 6'5" point guard that defends and is an excellent teammate isn't guaranteed success, but man o man the odds are high.

Or just the fact that Hood-Schifino has looked better than Smith.

but did u watch tonite?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT