ADVERTISEMENT

Another missed opportunity with the Illinois game on Peacock

Yeah. That's obvious. Now look at the cost.
Given the entirety of what the Big Ten gets from NBC, I'm guessing the conference thinks the cost is acceptable or they wouldn't have agreed.

Given the entirety of what the Big Ten gets from NBC, I'm guessing the conference thinks the cost is acceptable or they wouldn't have agreed.
Yes. It's not in debate that the Big Ten thought it would be worth the cost.

I’m one of the people you’re talking about. Change has not been good for me on watching TV. Analog was better than digital. Digital with Comcast periodically sticks and I have to change the channel back and forth to fix it. I tried streaming. It was a disaster for me. It constantly buffered and I couldn’t change the channel rapidly. I change channels often trying to eliminate from watching commercials.

So for now I pay up to watch Comcast. I would imagine streaming will continue to go up in price as more people drop linear television. Professional sports broadcasting will continue to cost more. It’s a cycle with no end in sight.
Same here, streaming wasn’t for me, Peacock for $5 a month has been fine, I watch other programming on it besides sports.

Clearly. But IMO the Big Ten shouldn't whore itself out for every last penny it can get either. Act like the premier conference in college sports and put your top games on in places you can showcase yourself. Or you can put IU/Maryland and OSU/Michigan basketball games on a CBS doubleheader in early March and wonder why Big Ten basketball continues to be mocked.
good post, think I watched 10 mins of those garbage games. Also this morning I checked the programming for BTN and there are no games on tonight kind of seems a little disrespectful to 2 teams having a great season

Reactions: TC4THREE
one problem is that the $$$$ has gotten so substantial, it's tantamount to a tsunami....many of the other "purposes" or "objectives" get washed away......oh, there's spin to it and all that, but in the end that's what's driving it and too many people are incentivized for that to really change in a meaningful way.

we've all seen this coming over the years and many called it a Pandora's Box.....

on ESPN - to me, that feud has been a brewing media Hatfields/McCoys ever since the BTN and going back to Delany.....I have no doubt there are ESPN execs who revel in sticking it to the Big Ten.

Purdue has benefitted greatly (as have all the conference members) in recent times with media rights.....part of what comes with the territory in today's world.

JMHO
I think it has been obvious Tex, don't you? I try not to be a conspiracy kind of guy but when I watch ESPN it is pretty clear to me they don't even mention PU as much as other top teams that they do carry games for.

Yes. It's not in debate that the Big Ten thought it would be worth the cost.
There's no debate except amongst a handful of fans pissed because they can't watch things exactly the way they want.

I seem to remember back when some people hated the BTN because it was only on DirecTV and they couldn't watch every game on Channel 4 like they used to and hardly anyone even has DTV so this was a stupid move.

32 Big Ten basketball games on Peacock, limited to a maximum possible audience of 30 million while blacking out over 300 million apiece -- denying exposure to 10 billion viewers in one season alone. Real smart way to expand national interest amid four new admissions, ain’t it?

So, yes, Big Poo Bahs, sit on your fat stacks and enjoy your newfound national irrelevance rendered by Peecrotch, one big kick in the pants, leaving the Big Ten with its fewest poll showings and NCAA considerations in ages -- one team ranked in the top four, another that should be while relegated to the teens and only one other drawing so much as one damned vote (two points) while two sure NCAA qualifiers who whipped highly ranked opponents go fully ignored with just one week left in the season. You can’t buy that kind of treatment. Thanks a billion.

Best conference in the country? Not now. Peacock sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: TC4THREE and SKYDOG
32 Big Ten basketball games on Peacock, limited to a maximum possible audience of 30 million while blacking out over 300 million apiece -- denying exposure to 10 billion viewers in one season alone. Real smart way to expand national interest amid four new admissions, ain’t it?

So, yes, Big Poo Bahs, sit on your fat stacks and enjoy your newfound national irrelevance rendered by Peecrotch, one big kick in the pants, leaving the Big Ten with its fewest poll showings and NCAA considerations in ages -- one team ranked in the top four, another that should be while relegated to the teens and only one other drawing so much as one damned vote (two points) while two sure NCAA qualifiers who whipped highly ranked opponents go fully ignored with just one week left in the season. You can’t buy that kind of treatment. Thanks a billion.

Best conference in the country? Not now. Peacock sucks.
ESPN avg 955k views per basketball game last year. The average of the most viewed game of the week the last month has been right around 2 million give or take.

Peacock drew the largest viewership numbers of a woman's basketball ever for Caitlin Clark at almost 2 million recently.

I can't find any avg numbers for Peacock and college basketball generally but if they can reach almost 2 million for women's college basketball, albeit an historic game, then their potential reach towards 2ish million viewers for a big men's game isn't crazy to consider.

Reactions: boilerzz
Most all Purdue and Illinois fans will find a way to watch it. Probably other Big Ten fans who t galready subscribe also. But we'reet home until about 10. shutting out tens of thousands of college basketball fans elsewhere in the country who probably would watch this on BTN or FS1. Just dumb to put top tier games on that platform.
I won't be getting home until around 10. Is there a.way to record the game? I've got Peacock but see no recording options. Anybody?

There's no debate except amongst a handful of fans pissed because they can't watch things exactly the way they want.

I seem to remember back when some people hated the BTN because it was only on DirecTV and they couldn't watch every game on Channel 4 like they used to and hardly anyone even has DTV so this was a stupid move.
I haven't missed anything I want to watch. I have complete access to Peacock without paying a dime.

I won't be getting home until around 10. Is there a.way to record the game? I've got Peacock but see no recording options. Anybody?
It's streaming so you don't need to record it. The game will be there for you to watch after it is over. You will have to sit through some commercials though. Not able to fast forward through them all.

It's streaming so you don't need to record it. The game will be there for you to watch after it is over. You will have to sit through some commercials though. Not able to fast forward through them all.

For just a nominal extra "fee," I can take care of those annoying commercials/ads for you.....

giphy.gif

No, but it's good for Peacock. It's a little bit of a Catch-22. I liken it to what someone told me years ago about doing a giveaway at a sporting event. Do you do your best giveaway for the worst game on the schedule or the best game? You do it for the best game because that's going to get the promotion item to the most people.

(NOT directed at you, C-B, definitely directed at NBC, Peacock & the B1G... thanks for the lob though! 👍)

LfmS.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT