ADVERTISEMENT

Guard Play...and Edey Today.

seminolesboilers

Sophomore
Oct 8, 2011
Purdue is practically unbeatable (no one is unbeatable, but practically so) if our guard play is as good as it was today. I think Smith and Loyer have matured a lot from last season in that they recognize to use Edey to set a wide/big screen to free them for good looks. Also...Edey had 5 assists today! His decision making was outstanding and quick to get the ball to the open shooter when the defense collapsed on him. Edey can not be handled one-on-one...too big and too talented. So...defenses are forced to use help defense freeing at least one shooter on the floor if Purdue has correct spacing. Great, exciting game today!

Last edited:
Purdue is practically unbeatable (no one is unbeatable, but practically so) if our guard play is as good as it was today. I think Smith and Loyer have matured a lot from last season in that they recognize to use Edey to set a wide/big screen to free them for good looks. Also...Edey had 5 assists today! His decision making was outstanding and quick to get the ball to the open shooter when the defense collapsed on him. Edey can not be handled one-on-one...too big and too talented. So...defenses are forced to use help defense freeing at least one shooter on the floor. Great, exciting game today!
Agree. That was the first game this season where I felt that Smith and Loyer were both on their A game. I was glad to see it happen in a big game against great talent. I feel like great guard play is what is going to carry this team if they are going to make an NCAA run.

BTW, the other guard, Jones, was struggling with his shot, but didn’t let it keep him from hitting the big 3 at the end. He’s an important part of this as well.

This is not to take away from Edey, but if the guard play is great, Edey can be counted on to do his part.

Purdue is practically unbeatable (no one is unbeatable, but practically so) if our guard play is as good as it was today. I think Smith and Loyer have matured a lot from last season in that they recognize to use Edey to set a wide/big screen to free them for good looks. Also...Edey had 5 assists today! His decision making was outstanding and quick to get the ball to the open shooter when the defense collapsed on him. Edey can not be handled one-on-one...too big and too talented. So...defenses are forced to use help defense freeing at least one shooter on the floor. Great, exciting game today!

Glad you got to watch and enjoyed the game. Fun.

It is remarkable how the guards have improved year over year. And I feel Smith has gotten better from the start of the year to now.
You can almost count on Loyer coming back from a poor game and being a beast the following game. When the Light Switch is on he is brilliant.

Purdue is practically unbeatable (no one is unbeatable, but practically so) if our guard play is as good as it was today. I think Smith and Loyer have matured a lot from last season in that they recognize to use Edey to set a wide/big screen to free them for good looks. Also...Edey had 5 assists today! His decision making was outstanding and quick to get the ball to the open shooter when the defense collapsed on him. Edey can not be handled one-on-one...too big and too talented. So...defenses are forced to use help defense freeing at least one shooter on the floor if Purdue spacing is correct. Great, exciting game today!
Following the first 3 games we were assured (supported by "data") that Smith and Loyer have not improved from their freshman year.

Following the first 3 games we were assured (supported by "data") that Smith and Loyer have not improved from their freshman year.

Both guards were great yesterday. But Loyer's performance in the first 30 minutes won the game yesterday....as the extra topping on Purdue's Sunday. But hope he works on getting consistent. Hate to think of that game with Loyer disappearing for a sub 8 pt game like he also has been capable of. Other than a layup he disappeared in the final 8 minutes.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Both guards were great yesterday. But Loyer's performance in the first 30 minutes won the game yesterday....as the extra topping on Purdue's Sunday. But hope he works on getting consistent. Hate to think of that game with Loyer disappearing for a sub 8 pt game like he also has been capable of. Other than a layup he disappeared in the final 8 minutes.
He also had a couple of assists to Jones during that time. Defensively they were keying on Loyer, leaving Jones open. Basically, Loyer was playing the decoy.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Purdue is practically unbeatable (no one is unbeatable, but practically so) if our guard play is as good as it was today. I think Smith and Loyer have matured a lot from last season in that they recognize to use Edey to set a wide/big screen to free them for good looks. Also...Edey had 5 assists today! His decision making was outstanding and quick to get the ball to the open shooter when the defense collapsed on him. Edey can not be handled one-on-one...too big and too talented. So...defenses are forced to use help defense freeing at least one shooter on the floor if Purdue has correct spacing. Great, exciting game today!
Still think Painter needs to be fired?....

Sorry we're #1?.....
Whether Purdue has success in March it should be apparent that Purdue's (less modern?) offense and defense is capable of beating the best should the players be at their best...like all good teams.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I want Purdue to be #1 at the end of March Madness….that’s the only #1 that means anything. I would prefer Purdue not to have a target on its back going into the tournament. Being critical of Purdue stems from being disappointed/frustrated in not winning a national championship in men’s basketball during my lifetime… and the sands in the hourglass are getting fewer and fewer.

Last edited:
I want Purdue to be #1 at the end of March Madness….that’s the only #1 that means anything. I would prefer Purdue not to have a target on its back going into the tournament. Being critical of Purdue stems from being disappointed/frustrated in not winning a national championship in men’s basketball during my lifetime… and the sands in the hourglass are getting fewer and fewer.
All the more reason to enjoy the moment. You have no control over any of this. Why have angst over a basketball team having great success in the early season, when you should be celebrating? What may happen tomorrow shouldn't affect your enjoyment for what is happening today.

All the more reason to enjoy the moment. You have no control over any of this. Why have angst over a basketball team having great success in the early season, when you should be celebrating? What may happen tomorrow shouldn't affect your enjoyment for what is happening today.
Any disappointment I have in March is for the players and coaches since I have input nothing into it. That said it is obvious that many at least in this forum don't feel that way. You remind me of a song from years ago... ;)

Purdue is elite. That said, for sure, on any given night, there are at least 20 teams nationally that can beat us. No doubt. Thus, no guarantees.....just enjoy each game. Love this team. Going to be a FUN year no matter when our last game is.

I think it’s pretty much impossible for Purdue not to have a target on its back for what the team has already done.

But To not have somewhat of a target on its back, Purdue will need to not win the B1G and finish in the 4-6 range and lose the first game in the BTT. Still would probably get at worst a 3 seed. But if this happens, I’m pretty sure that means the team would not be playing great down the stretch.

Also, Mid majors in the tournament will be wanting to playing Purdue because of the past and think they’ll have a shot at an upset. Only way to get passed that is to give them a beat down and do it early in the game and not let up. It’d be great if we win our first tourney game vs a mid major by 40-50.

Reactions: Boiling Point
Go bother the seminoles board with your standards lol

In what world does our recruiting and player rankings show you to expect a national championship?....I don't think you live in reality....Zach is a #489 ranked player, braden in the high 200s....Lance Jones was a #200 some rated transfer....your expectations are high because of painter's development and system...we are way overachieving based on our ranking....if we get a championship that should be a surprise not an expectation....just realize what we have accomplished thus far, no 1 ranking, by far the best team, is incredible....don't lose grip on reality....

In what world does our recruiting and player rankings show you to expect a national championship?....I don't think you live in reality....Zach is a #489 ranked player, braden in the high 200s....Lance Jones was a #200 some rated transfer....your expectations are high because of painter's development and system...we are way overachieving based on our ranking....if we get a championship that should be a surprise not an expectation....just realize what we have accomplished thus far, no 1 ranking, by far the best team, is incredible....don't lose grip on reality....

LOL at player rankings. As you point out, many are a load of garbage.

Reactions: seminolesboilers
Also, Mid majors in the tournament will be wanting to playing Purdue because of the past and think they’ll have a shot at an upset. Only way to get passed that is to give them a beat down and do it early in the game and not let up. It’d be great if we win our first tourney game vs a mid major by 40-50.
I think there’s some hard truth to this. No matter who the opponent is, Purdue needs to go full Cobra Kai “No Mercy” and don’t let that thought creep into either team’s head.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT