ADVERTISEMENT

Greetings Boilermakers

Feb 8, 2020
I come in peace. I will be coming to town this weekend with my son for the football game and was just looking to get some recommendations for a good spot to grab lunch. I bought a parking pass for the Northwestern garage. Hoping that’s a decent spot to park? I’d like to walk around campus for a bit before the game and check everything out. I’m trying to get my son to as many of these campuses as I can and I’ve been waiting for a long time to get to yours! Any tips or information would be appreciated. Also, I completely understand if you tell me to go f&$k myself…. Lol

The Northwestern garage is perfect, so good in fact that you'll be there for a while after the game because of all of the foot traffic. As far as food, Bruno's is a staple for pizza, The Tap is a cool place to hang out with bar food(not sure how old your son is), or you could go to AJs for a burger. Enjoy!

I come in peace. I will be coming to town this weekend with my son for the football game and was just looking to get some recommendations for a good spot to grab lunch. I bought a parking pass for the Northwestern garage. Hoping that’s a decent spot to park? I’d like to walk around campus for a bit before the game and check everything out. I’m trying to get my son to as many of these campuses as I can and I’ve been waiting for a long time to get to yours! Any tips or information would be appreciated. Also, I completely understand if you tell me to go f&$k myself…. Lol
The Northwestern lot should be great for what you want to do. Just cross the street and you'll be able to stroll through campus. It's been 20 years since I graduated so I cannot give you the best recommendation on restaurants. Normally when I attend games we tailgate.

Reactions: Balent86
The Northwestern garage is perfect, so good in fact that you'll be there for a while after the game because of all of the foot traffic. As far as food, Bruno's is a staple for pizza, The Tap is a cool place to hang out with bar food(not sure how old your son is), or you could go to AJs for a burger. Enjoy!
I thought Bruno's was no longer open for dine-in?

Reactions: pboiler18
Triple XXX Family Restaurant is an iconic place at Purdue. And if your son is under 18, don't worry. The name of the restaurant has no correlation to the adult film industry. It's basically diner food with many menu items named after former Purdue athletes and breakfast served all day long. Basically where Salisbury, Littleton, and State streets all meet on the south side of campus just across the river from Lafayette.

Northwestern parking garage is a convenient location for sure. You are right across from the heart of campus. Couple things I would check out or walk by one campus would be:

1. Engineering fountain area (Then walk toward the bell tower)
2. Bell tower area
3. Clapping circle
4. Loab Fountain area
5. Memorial Union (this has a big renovation going on right now)
6. Carey Quad (This Is close to the stadium so fun to walk through on the way there) Then Mackey is right next to football stadium.
7. By the Purdue arch & Neil Armstrong building they offer train rides on the "Boilermaker Special" which Is a fun way to see campus and ride the train which is a unique Purdue experience. They will post times you can do that here. (https://www.facebook.com/ReamerClub/)

Places to eat, not sure what you are wanting:
1. Purdue has some great sushi places (large Asian population on campus) so if you like Sushi lots of options Strings Ramen, Maru Sushi
2. Places right by where you are parking: Another Broken Egg (Good brunch place) Big Woods (standard burger joint) AJ Burgers (Chicago style burger place) The Tap, Triple X.
3. If you like Curry Indian food - Basil Thai is great
4. if you want fancy - 8eleven Bistro is awesome and in the union
5. If you want coffee with food - Gray House is best coffee on campus, Fuel is close to were you are parking.

6. If you want to do the river walk downtown Lafayette has a bunch of good options like: East End, Ripple, Red Seven, Black Sparrow, Bru Burger.

One fun way to explore campus is to find some spin scooters and take those all around campus. These are all over campus. Just download the app and you pay per minute to use them.

Hope you enjoy, any other questions let me know.

That's a pretty decent write up that should be posted on Purdue Sports somewhere.

I would add these restaurants as well:
• Arnies pizza (Lafayette)
• The Pickle (Lafayette)
• Sgt. Preston's (Lafayette)
• John Purdue room @ Marriott Hall (Purdue)
• Wiley / Ford food court (Purdue)
• The All American Dining room @Cary (Purdue)
• Famous Frank's @ Cary (Purdue)

Places to see (Purdue)
• 3rd st. & Martin Jischke Dr. - outdoor plaza
• CoRec student sports facility
• Slayer Hill (bring a disc and play golf)
• Neil Armstong building / walk steps

Reactions: BigTimeAt69
Go to triple x for a burger and don’t let anyone send you to pizza king or arni’s especially if you’re italian

Very much appreciated everyone! After dealing with UM fans the last few weeks this has brought back my faith in humanity lol

one more, my son is 17 FYI. Is it safe to wear a green sweatshirt??? We are not the loud, obnoxious type. Just like to rep our team. I’m all for good natured jawing but just want to make sure this old man isn’t going to have to show his son a side of him he’s never seen before… haha

p.s. I hope your team takes it easy on us. Nobody and I mean NOBODY wants UM or OSU winning this thing so if you’d kindly let us slide by Saturday, that would be great!
Thanks again everyone, looking forward to seeing your campus!

Reactions: Purdue85
Very much appreciated everyone! After dealing with UM fans the last few weeks this has brought back my faith in humanity lol

one more, my son is 17 FYI. Is it safe to wear a green sweatshirt??? We are not the loud, obnoxious type. Just like to rep our team. I’m all for good natured jawing but just want to make sure this old man isn’t going to have to show his son a side of him he’s never seen before… haha

p.s. I hope your team takes it easy on us. Nobody and I mean NOBODY wants UM or OSU winning this thing so if you’d kindly let us slide by Saturday, that would be great!
Oh, heck yes.

I'd be very surprised if Purdue fans don't greet you with open arms.

Enjoy your visit!

Triple XXX Family Restaurant is an iconic place at Purdue. And if your son is under 18, don't worry. The name of the restaurant has no correlation to the adult film industry. It's basically diner food with many menu items named after former Purdue athletes and breakfast served all day long. Basically where Salisbury, Littleton, and State streets all meet on the south side of campus just across the river from Lafayette.
Triple XXX Family Restaurant has been featured on Guy Fieri's Triple D (Diner's, Drive-In's and Dives).
Close to campus ~ 12 minute walk southeast of parking structure & close to Purdue Union. There are variety of off the menu items named after some Boilermaker greats from the past. I'd recommend the Duane Purvis All American. I'll be honest, I never aim to have peanut butter on a Cheeseburger at home EVER. That said, it is pretty darn good. What I'm getting at is don't order a Cheeseburger...go off the grid and enjoy living a little with your son. They serve root beer in frosty mugs too! You'll always have that memory of a unique lunch item. This restaurant has been tabbed by USA today in the top 50 category for best burgers in USA. I may not go that far, but it is pretty good. Stroll back thru the Union and work your way back to the stadium about 20 minutes of walking to work off that lunch. En route, stop by "the landing spot" Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering for a statue pic and remember back to July 20th, 1969 "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind".

Unless your name is Drew Brees or your son is a 5* rated qb, Brunos is only open for special reserved events or corporate meetups. Otherwise, unfortunately its carryout only

You'll be totally fine decked out in green. You may have a student or two make a comment here and there but nothing serious at all. Purdue fans are very respectful.

Was at the Oregon State game and OSU fans kept coming up to us telling us they're shocked how good they were treated

Triple XXX Family Restaurant has been featured on Guy Fieri's Triple D (Diner's, Drive-In's and Dives).
Close to campus ~ 12 minute walk southeast of parking structure & close to Purdue Union. There are variety of off the menu items named after some Boilermaker greats from the past. I'd recommend the Duane Purvis All American. I'll be honest, I never aim to have peanut butter on a Cheeseburger at home EVER. That said, it is pretty darn good. What I'm getting at is don't order a Cheeseburger...go off the grid and enjoy living a little with your son. They serve root beer in frosty mugs too! You'll always have that memory of a unique lunch item. This restaurant has been tabbed by USA today in the top 50 category for best burgers in USA. I may not go that far, but it is pretty good. Stroll back thru the Union and work your way back to the stadium about 20 minutes of walking to work off that lunch. En route, stop by "the landing spot" Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering for a statue pic and remember back to July 20th, 1969 "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind".
I go the other way.. if everyone is telling you to order the purvis, that tells me that you should at least try to non purvis.. because any really good burger need only cheese and grilled onion (or just cheese). And low and behold the cheeseburger with onions is outstanding at triple x!

this guy and his kid should have that before the game .. drink a little (forgot if the kid is of age or not).. then order some cheese sticks from mad mushroom and go hide with them before the rest of the begging mfers try to grab half of them without kicking in $5…

Order the Bernie Burger. Or the Leroy Loin. Fries, possible milk shake, root beer for sure. Breakfast is incredible. Triple XXX. Walk up the hill thru the village, then thru the Union. Go back to the car, have a drink, head to the stadium. Go to the bathroom in Mackey Arena. Take a peak in, legend. The boilers might be in their practicing. The stadium will be packed, the new scoreboard is incredible. Enjoy, hopefully it will be a great game. Nice you are bringing your son to a great event. Enjoy.

The only thing you need from XXX is biscuits and gravy at 3am after you close down Harry's. Otherwise you're doing it wrong.
The burgers are good dude that’s just a fact. When me and that obnoxious sob fieri agree on something you know it’s true…

god that guy saying nothing is just loud

After taking a little time to cool down, I just wanted to say thanks again. Beautiful campus, great people, other than the obvious, we had a great time. There is NOTHING better than college football on a fall Saturday. Good luck the rest of the way!

oh dang, I think you guys just completed another pass on 3rd down…… 🥴🤬😤🙄

After taking a little time to cool down, I just wanted to say thanks again. Beautiful campus, great people, other than the obvious, we had a great time. There is NOTHING better than college football on a fall Saturday. Good luck the rest of the way!

The 24-36 hour cool-down is a wise policy sir.

Come back 10 minutes after our first hoops loss and see that proof of that.

Respect the fact you came back and posted. Glad you were able to enjoy your time (minus the games results).

Thanks.Glad that you had a good time,for the most part.

Reactions: Tommaker
Thanks.Glad that you had a good time,for the most part.
There is NOTHING better than college football on a fall Saturday.

In heaven, every day is football Saturday in the fall, and your team never loses. That's paradise. :)

There is NOTHING better than college football on a fall Saturday.

In heaven, every day is football Saturday in the fall, and your team never loses. That's paradise. :)

Was curious where you ended up eating and seeing?

Reactions: cgtboiler
Was curious where you ended up eating and seeing?
We ended up eating at XXX. The PB burger was pretty damn tasty! After we ate we just kind of walked around. Ended up over by the field where the band was practicing and got a few pictures of the Drum. My son got a kick out of all the little food delivery robots roaming around. There were about 10 of em lined up waiting to cross the street.
We were able to catch the players getting off the bus which was pretty cool. We sat in section 103, row 60 so we had a great view of your WR’s running around uncovered for 4 quarters ($&($;);(,)((;!!!!!!!) 🤬🤬
Parking structure was perfect except being stuck trying to get out for a bit. We both just kind of sat there in silence, stewing, so it was good to wind down before I got back on the road.
All in all it was a great trip. My son doesn’t show much emotion in general except when we are watching football so it’s nice to see the love of MSU grow inside of him.
You could almost feel this loss coming. The bend don’t break defense is bound to break at some point and that’s exactly what it did. We can’t pressure the QB to save our lives and no DB can cover a good WR for 5 seconds. I wish we had ran the ball a bit more but hey, it is what it is. Credit to you guys though. You probably have the best two wins in college football this year! Crazy that you guys aren’t ranked…..
I would have been beside myself to go to a bowl game when the season started so I’m going to enjoy the rest of the year no matter what happens.
Who knows, maybe we will see you again!

We ended up eating at XXX. The PB burger was pretty damn tasty! After we ate we just kind of walked around. Ended up over by the field where the band was practicing and got a few pictures of the Drum. My son got a kick out of all the little food delivery robots roaming around. There were about 10 of em lined up waiting to cross the street.
We were able to catch the players getting off the bus which was pretty cool. We sat in section 103, row 60 so we had a great view of your WR’s running around uncovered for 4 quarters ($&($;);(,)((;!!!!!!!) 🤬🤬
Parking structure was perfect except being stuck trying to get out for a bit. We both just kind of sat there in silence, stewing, so it was good to wind down before I got back on the road.
All in all it was a great trip. My son doesn’t show much emotion in general except when we are watching football so it’s nice to see the love of MSU grow inside of him.
You could almost feel this loss coming. The bend don’t break defense is bound to break at some point and that’s exactly what it did. We can’t pressure the QB to save our lives and no DB can cover a good WR for 5 seconds. I wish we had ran the ball a bit more but hey, it is what it is.
I would have been beside myself to go to a bowl game when the season started so I’m going to enjoy the rest of the year no matter what happens.
Good report.Thanks.

You could almost feel this loss coming. The bend don’t break defense is bound to break at some point and that’s exactly what it did. We can’t pressure the QB to save our lives and no DB can cover a good WR for 5 seconds. I wish we had ran the ball a bit more but hey, it is what it is. Credit to you guys though. You probably have the best two wins in college football this year! Crazy that you guys aren’t ranked…..
Thanks for coming to WL and thanks for posting. Good luck the rest of the way!

Glad you had a good time, safe trip and some good experiences (minus outcome). For Purdue it is mind numbing that we can play lights out against high ranked teams, then get the heck kicked out of us by WI. Weather and MN are our kryptonite as we seemingly cannot beat the row your boat guy.
Good luck the rest of the way. Beat the piss out of tO$U if possible.

Hey - look at it this way: your team is good enough to have the opposing fans storm the field when they beat you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT