ADVERTISEMENT

67 1/2 yrs on this planet and......

PaBoiler78

All-American
Jan 18, 2002
watching football for a long time, I have never seen a team at any level been so consistently bad at short yardage situations for the year w/o making any tweaks. First (however bad the line is) get the QB under center for cryin outloud. 2nd, bring a TE or another large body in the backfield as a lead blocker, 3rd, try the trendy bush push or even a wildcat (not my fave) but does give an extra blocker. The qb in the pistol or shotgun it gives the D time to penetrate to disrupt or make a play

watching football for a long time, I have never seen a team at any level been so consistently bad at short yardage situations for the year w/o making any tweaks. First (however bad the line is) get the QB under center for cryin outloud. 2nd, bring a TE or another large body in the backfield as a lead blocker, 3rd, try the trendy bush push or even a wildcat (not my fave) but does give an extra blocker. The qb in the pistol or shotgun it gives the D time to penetrate to disrupt or make a play
Their starting guards aren’t p5 players.

Then as Wolegib has said 20,000,000,000 times, stop placing so much emphasis on recruiting skill position players and DBs and start making recruiting offensive linemen your #1 priority!

I’ll ask again, do you want some flashy air power offense, or do you want to be dull and 9-2 like Iowa? What do you want? Wins? Or highlight reel pass plays?

My preference is wins !

Absolutely. Has failed time and time again. I just don't get it. Our OC has to fired immediately. HC will get another year

Then as Wolegib has said 20,000,000,000 times, stop placing so much emphasis on recruiting skill position players and DBs and start making recruiting offensive linemen your #1 priority!

I’ll ask again, do you want some flashy air power offense, or do you want to be dull and 9-2 like Iowa? What do you want? Wins? Or highlight reel pass plays?

My preference is wins !

Correct me if I'm wrong but the last two years didn't we have a 9 win then 8 wins with a 'flashy air power offense?'

Regardless, the OP is spot on. Abysmal play calling in short yardage the entire season. Is the simple QB sneak lined up from UNDER CENTER literally not in the book? Especially when less than one yard is needed?! Sheesh

Correct me if I'm wrong but the last two years didn't we have a 9 win then 8 wins with a 'flashy air power offense?'

Regardless, the OP is spot on. Abysmal play calling in short yardage the entire season. Is the simple QB sneak lined up from UNDER CENTER literally not in the book? Especially when less than one yard is needed?! Sheesh
2 years out of the last 10! And last year’s record was not really something to brag about. We didn’t even make the top 25! But go ahead. - love your mediocrity and flashy offense. It would be a lot flashier if our 4 star recruits were linemen rather than QBs and receivers

We have ran the ball very well this year. Especially lately. The inability to do so in short yardage is baffling to me as well. I completely agree with a lead blocker. Crazy to not change things up at all in those situations.

2 years out of the last 10! And last year’s record was not really something to brag about. We didn’t even make the top 25! But go ahead. - love your mediocrity and flashy offense. It would be a lot flashier if our 4 star recruits were linemen rather than QBs and receivers
I mean we did go to 4 bowls in the last 6 years with those O-line recruits.

And returned 5 guys with at least 3 games of starting experience. And ran off a guy with 3 years of experience who’s starting at RT for an 11-1 team.

We had the talent to go to a bowl. We had the talent to win today missing our QB and a top 3 defensive player. The coaches screwed this kids today…and really all year.

The roster might get better, but the coaching won’t! Next year, Walters will blame you the fans much earlier for his failures instead of taking responsibility

He just needs bigger, faster and stronger guys to play 40 yards off the LOS. Bigger and stronger guys to be out of position! Bigger and stronger guys to not get lined up correctly!

Reactions: WarrenCoBoiler
This is the worst oline we've had in awhile though. I will agree the lack of QB under center or creative play calling plays a role in our short yardage issues. For example have we have used our very good TE leaking out? Or used play action? Hard to do from shotgun.

It's a mix of problems.

And returned 5 guys with at least 3 games of starting experience. And ran off a guy with 3 years of experience who’s starting at RT for an 11-1 team.

We had the talent to go to a bowl. We had the talent to win today missing our QB and a top 3 defensive player. The coaches screwed this kids today…and really all year.

The roster might get better, but the coaching won’t! Next year, Walters will blame you the fans much earlier for his failures instead of taking responsibility

He just needs bigger, faster and stronger guys to play 40 yards off the LOS. Bigger and stronger guys to be out of position! Bigger and stronger guys to not get lined up correctly!
So in your world, it's impossible for a first year head coach to ever get any better than he is in his first head coaching season? Lol

You're so consistently over the top.

Reactions: Schnelk and z_one
Complaining about your line when we just rushed for 300 yards+ (5.6 yards per carry) when the other team knew we were one dimensional. Come on man!!

The idea that we don't even have an option to go under center for a QB sneak or some kind of fullback lead is beyond me. On a couple of occasions, we needed 6 inches and we're lining up with the QB in the shot gun 6 yards off the ball!

Complaining about your line when we just rushed for 300 yards+ (5.6 yards per carry) when the other team knew we were one dimensional. Come on man!!

The idea that we don't even have an option to go under center for a QB sneak or some kind of fullback lead is beyond me. On a couple of occasions, we needed 6 inches and we're lining up with the QB in the shot gun 6 yards off the ball!
So you’re saying it’s bad scheme and coaching? No way! Not us!

My preference is wins !
For those of you who took freshman composition, this is what's called a false choice for lots of reasons. Iowa may have some crazy good linemen, but Purdue has routinely outscored them and outgained them.
Also, Iowa may be 9-2 but only because of their defense.

My preference is wins !
Despite the racist baggage of Iowa football?

My preference is wins !

Don’t disagree with your point about linemen, but pass blocking not run blocking guys.

I do reject part of the premise of your next statement. Iowa’s found a way to win recently, but in Purdue’s history the recipe for winning seasons has been through the air. The two are tightly correlated, not mutually exclusive. It works well given the league we play in, level of recruiting talent and competition around us, and the historical momentum we sometimes successfully leverage when calling attention to our cradle of QB and strong representation among the top of conference passing and receiving all-time greats.

So in your world, it's impossible for a first year head coach to ever get any better than he is in his first head coaching season? Lol

You're so consistently over the top.
The B1G is not the conference to be learning on the job. Especially in 2024. He hired a young, inexperienced staff and it might doom his Purdue career.

The B1G is not the conference to be learning on the job. Especially in 2024. He hired a young, inexperienced staff and it might doom his Purdue career.
Or he might learn and get better.
Win next week and it's a four win team which is already better than any season Hazell had, and is as good as the worst season of Brohm.

It's not remotely crazy to think he could learn enough to win 1-2 more next season.

Then parlay that into a better record the following season.

This was always a 6-7 win ceiling team this season. Get to 4 and it's not a sign that "he can never get better."

Now, if he doesn't win more games next year, then it's easy enough to fire him. But he ain't getting fired after his first season. It's not happening. So folks can either gripe and grind their teeth and shout angry words on the internet or they can see what he does next season.

If y'all are right and he is "the worst," then he'll be fired by end of next season (and the next coach will get the benefit of his good recruiting season). If he does improve well then you have a young, cheap coach who might be here awhile.

It's a low risk, high reward situation. There's always going to be other good coaches looking to coach in this conference, yes, even at Purdue.

It was always going to one step back this season from last. The whole point of the low salary and low buyout is you give him a couple of years and either he improves or not and it's easy to move on.

There are very few hotshot young coaches who blow up their first season. It requires patience which I realize folks no longer seem to have for anything.

Reactions: z_one
So scheme around your weakness.
I don’t know how you scheme around guards that can’t hold up at the point of attack and tackles who, after the injuries, are actually much worse than the guards. Ben Farrell is not a p5 player. Kaltenberger is a guard.

They need to go out and get two guys with Ben Scott’s resume preferably at RT and LG. Try to keep Hartwig. Mbow will return. One more year in the weight room may finally be enough for Moussa to hold up in the run game. Now you at least have a staring OL. If you can get Liston and preciado up to speed and find one more so so tackle, now you have the bare minimum for a good season if there are no injuries.

I don’t know how you scheme around guards that can’t hold up at the point of attack and tackles who, after the injuries, are actually much worse than the guards. Ben Farrell is not a p5 player. Kaltenberger is a guard.

They need to go out and get two guys with Ben Scott’s resume preferably at RT and LG. Try to keep Hartwig. Mbow will return. One more year in the weight room may finally be enough for Moussa to hold up in the run game. Now you at least have a staring OL. If you can get Liston and preciado up to speed and find one more so so tackle, now you have the bare minimum for a good season if there are no injuries.
you mentioned Liston, where is he and what about guys like Roberts and Carpenter who've been around for 2 seasons at least.

you mentioned Liston, where is he and what about guys like Roberts and Carpenter who've been around for 2 seasons at least.
I was told by a poster who always knows not to expect anything from carpenter. This same person told me well in advance on players like dontay Hunter and Faucheux. Liston is supposed to have talent.

Play calling will be Walters undoing unless he improves.When your talent is average you have to offset it with deception.

Play calling will be Walters undoing unless he improves.When your talent is average you have to offset it with deception.
But that’s the thing.. I’ve seen problems up front undo joe tiller.

When Purdue achieved its highest ranking of my fandom, prior to playing Wisconsin in 2004 (undefeated, ranked 5th in the nation)… they had one guy who was probably in that Ben Farrell talent range.

Kelly butler left early for the pros after 2003 and Purdue’s starter was David Owen. Farrell might be generous. Owen was like.. if someone who left our program for the Mac and never even played there.. just stayed here and started.

Against Wisconsin, Erasmus James hit Orton early and often. At one point he lifted Owen up off the ground and planted him right in Orton’s lap leading to a hip pointer that would cause Orton to miss or be affected in 5-6 games. The offense, by the way, looked as bad or worse as it did Saturday when Purdue turned to brandon kirsch at northwestern. And kirsch was no true freshman. He had started games in 2002.

And that was one guy. Everyone else was pretty good. That wasn’t Gus Hartwig being surrounded by four guys who are either hurt (Moussa) or just aren’t big ten players.

Funny how much less creative Joe tiller and Jim Cheney looked as Owen got exposed and Orton went out.

Purdue passed for 210 yards on 20-42 passing for 1 TD and 1 INT in a 13-10 loss to a 3-4 northwestern team after being ranked 5th mere weeks before.

But some of you guys loved Jeff brohm so that means Walters is supposed to have 4 linemen who aren’t up to the task and a true freshman QB and beat a better northwestern team. Just because you’re not bright enough to understand the roster and what it means.

Last edited:
But that’s the thing.. I’ve seen problems up front undo joe tiller.

When Purdue achieved its highest ranking of my fandom, prior to playing Wisconsin… they had one guy who was probably in that Ben Farrell talent range.

Kelly butler left early for the pros and Purdue’s starter was David Owen. Farrell might be generous. Owen was like.. if someone who left our program for the Mac and never even played there.. stayed and just started.

Against Wisconsin, Erasmus James hit Orton early and often. At one point he lifted Owen up off the ground and planted him right in Orton’s lap leading to a hip pointer that would cause Orton to miss or be affected in 5-6 games. The offense, by the way, looked as bad or worse as it did Saturday when Purdue turned to brandon kirsch at northwestern. And kirsch was no true freshman. He had started games in 2002.

And that was one guy. Everyone else was pretty good. That wasn’t Gus Hartwig being surrounded by four guys who are either hurt (Moussa) or just aren’t big ten players.
I don’t think people would disagree the line is bad…

But then why did we win 8 games last year with 5 of the same guys who started games still in the program?

And what does that have to do with poor scheming and situational play calling on the defensive side of the ball?

I don’t think people would disagree the line is bad…

But then why did we win 8 games last year with 5 of the same guys who started games still in the program?

And what does that have to do with poor scheming and situational play calling on the defensive side of the ball?
Aidan Oconnell. Card is closer to Jack plummer. Also, no receiver like Jones. A bunch of guys who were also a bunch of guys last year.

We

We watched a coach do it in 2018,2019 and 2020.....

Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT