ADVERTISEMENT

67 1/2 yrs on this planet and......

If you’re trying to give this coach a pass for OL injuries….why doesn’t Brohm get a pass when his 2 best players went down on the same play…one an All American?

Cherry picking facts again?
The injuries are worse now than that year. That year was Bailey moore and sindelar. This year is Mbow, Moussa, Hartwig, Klare, Wilson. Many players affected for large portions of the season by injury.

You want me to have sympathy for 2019 but when this team has a true freshman at QB your sorry ass wants results or else

Reactions: z_one
I don’t think people would disagree the line is bad…

But then why did we win 8 games last year with 5 of the same guys who started games still in the program?

And what does that have to do with poor scheming and situational play calling on the defensive side of the ball?
Play calling. Plain and simple. Our play calling from the goal line has been absolutely terrible. Also play calling with Card has been garbage all but the Minnesota game. Our OC needs fired on Saturday. The shotgun formation at the half hard line is hard to watch over and over.

Reactions: pboiler18
Or he might learn and get better.
Win next week and it's a four win team which is already better than any season Hazell had, and is as good as the worst season of Brohm.

It's not remotely crazy to think he could learn enough to win 1-2 more next season.

Then parlay that into a better record the following season.

This was always a 6-7 win ceiling team this season. Get to 4 and it's not a sign that "he can never get better."

Now, if he doesn't win more games next year, then it's easy enough to fire him. But he ain't getting fired after his first season. It's not happening. So folks can either gripe and grind their teeth and shout angry words on the internet or they can see what he does next season.

If y'all are right and he is "the worst," then he'll be fired by end of next season (and the next coach will get the benefit of his good recruiting season). If he does improve well then you have a young, cheap coach who might be here awhile.

It's a low risk, high reward situation. There's always going to be other good coaches looking to coach in this conference, yes, even at Purdue.

It was always going to one step back this season from last. The whole point of the low salary and low buyout is you give him a couple of years and either he improves or not and it's easy to move on.

There are very few hotshot young coaches who blow up their first season. It requires patience which I realize folks no longer seem to have for anything.
I agree with most of what you say and hope Walters grows into the job. I do not agree with the ceiling being a 6-7 win team. Maybe at the start of the year that was the thinking. But looking at the season now, who outside of Michigan and Ohio St wasn’t beatable? Iowa has the most wins other than those two and they are a 9 win team and were very beatable. Most of the teams we played this year have between 5-7 wins.

I would make the argument that 10 wins was the ceiling after seeing this year play out.

The injuries are worse now than that year. That year was Bailey moore and sindelar. This year is Mbow, Moussa, Hartwig, Klare, Wilson. Many players affected for large portions of the season by injury.

You want me to have sympathy for 2019 but when this team has a true freshman at QB your sorry ass wants results or else
Didn’t Hartwig only miss 2 games? And pretty sure Klare was only a starter due to Miller being hurt last year and he is back and playing well since the 4th game.

We have been most hurt by injuries on the oline this year but our line is playing pretty well.

Also didn’t we also lose our starting rb before the season and a DT that was projected to the NFL the year before but never returned from a knee injury?

Pretty sure you are very much underselling the 2019 injuries and overselling this years.

Didn’t Hartwig only miss 2 games? And pretty sure Klare was only a starter due to Miller being hurt last year and he is back and playing well since the 4th game.

We have been most hurt by injuries on the oline this year but our line is playing pretty well.

Also didn’t we also lose our starting rb before the season and a DT that was projected to the NFL the year before but never returned from a knee injury?

Pretty sure you are very much underselling the 2019 injuries and overselling this years.
This staff being poor in game doesn’t fit his narrative.

I think it was Bippus in another thread…why give this coach a Cadillac when he can’t drive the Chevy?

The argument wasn’t that this team was high end talented…it’s that outside of OSU and Michigan, most of the games were winnable. To not go at least 6-4 in the rest of the games was an issue.

I agree with most of what you say and hope Walters grows into the job. I do not agree with the ceiling being a 6-7 win team. Maybe at the start of the year that was the thinking. But looking at the season now, who outside of Michigan and Ohio St wasn’t beatable? Iowa has the most wins other than those two and they are a 9 win team and were very beatable. Most of the teams we played this year have between 5-7 wins.

I would make the argument that 10 wins was the ceiling after seeing this year play out.
Yeah no. I don't remotely agree with that.

We had a true Freshman at QB for half a game…and it should have been a lot more than a half! Even then, we still had a chance to win and poor play calling and decision making kept us from doing so!

You haven’t seen me on here criticizing the players. I think they’ve done OK for the positions they have been out in by this staff. When you couple the poor scheming on each side of the ball…it’s not their faults they are 3-9. They’ve been let down by a staff that’s been bad and is in over their heads.

Will you come back and admit you’re wrong if we don’t make a bowl again next year?

Reactions: Beorik

You think our OL is playing well? Wow. Last game they literally had Austin Johnson out there. Austin Johnson makes David Owen from 04 look like Kelly butler

We had a true Freshman at QB for half a game…and it should have been a lot more than a half! Even then, we still had a chance to win and poor play calling and decision making kept us from doing so!

You haven’t seen me on here criticizing the players. I think they’ve done OK for the positions they have been out in by this staff. When you couple the poor scheming on each side of the ball…it’s not their faults they are 3-9. They’ve been let down by a staff that’s been bad and is in over their heads.

Will you come back and admit you’re wrong if we don’t make a bowl again next year?
Agree. Seems to be a ton of criticism for the line and I think this has been the best oline play we have seen in years.

Syracuse and Wisconsin to start. Those games weren't even close with a clear talent gap. Nebraska as well.
Smh talent gap. Just do not agree. I will say for whatever reason we just never beat Wisconsin. They were very beatable this year though.

Agree. Seems to be a ton of criticism for the line and I think this has been the best oline play we have seen in years.
No it isn't. Years? Come on. They have played better relative to well most of the entire season the last couple of games for sure.

Of course, I'm sure that has nothing to with coaching right pboiler?

I blame the talent level of some of the players. The players I think we both would agree have made everyone proud on and off the field.

And I really don’t even get what you take such objection to. I haven’t said Walters is good. I have said we won’t know until next year. If it looks like this next year then I’ll be the first one to say you were right.

Even if you say “well I know I’m right” do you think Purdue is firing any coach after one year? No. So we are going to have to find out.

Smh talent gap. Just do not agree. I will say for whatever reason we just never beat Wisconsin. They were very beatable this year though.
Clearly they weren't lol they bulldozed us.

No it isn't. Years? Come on. They have played better relative to well most of the entire season the last couple of games for sure.

Of course, I'm sure that has nothing to with coaching right pboiler?
When was the last time we were able to run this well? Don’t we have 2 running backs over 5 ypc? That has a lot to do with the oline, and the rbs. And yes this coaching staff has done very well running the football other than short yardage.

You act like I am rooting against this staff. I like Walters and hope he succeeds. We are not only winning 3 games due to lke of talent though. We lost Ohio St and Mich because we don’t have the talent to compete. All the other games were a combination of talent yes, but mostly poor play and execution which at least in part is on the coaches.

I blame the talent level of some of the players. The players I think we both would agree have made everyone proud on and off the field.

And I really don’t even get what you take such objection to. I haven’t said Walters is good. I have said we won’t know until next year. If it looks like this next year then I’ll be the first one to say you were right.

Even if you say “well I know I’m right” do you think Purdue is firing any coach after one year? No. So we are going to have to find out.
And that's the difference...some of us simply say, it's been one season and you don't know yet where it's going, could get better, could get worse.

Others have declared the staff hopelessly horrible and impossible to improve.

Folks wanna compare him to Hazell when dude already has more wins than he had his first two seasons and clearly is a better recruiter and more well liked by the players than Hazell was. Does that mean he's going to be successful here? Nope. Does it mean he's destined to fail? Nope.

Patience is a virtue few around here have. I still remember when people were all ready to send Brohm out on a rail after the COVID season so it's not surprising.

Clearly they weren't lol they bulldozed us.
So any team that beats us isn’t beatable? They have 7 wins. They were beatable. Unfortunately we never seem to play well against them. I may not live to see another win against Wisconsin :(

When was the last time we were able to run this well? Don’t we have 2 running backs over 5 ypc? That has a lot to do with the oline, and the rbs. And yes this coaching staff has done very well running the football other than short yardage.

You act like I am rooting against this staff. I like Walters and hope he succeeds. We are not only winning 3 games due to lke of talent though. We lost Ohio St and Mich because we don’t have the talent to compete. All the other games were a combination of talent yes, but mostly poor play and execution which at least in part is on the coaches.
It's been a couple of games of running well. We didn't dominate all season. Could be a combination of our play and our opponents play against the run. I didn't name you, I named pboiler so I'm not acting like anything in regards to you.

Regardless, no one said it was 100 percent talent, it's never 100 percent anything. Everyone has acknowledged issues with play calling, but you don't get beat like we did in those three games if there isn't a significant talent gap.

So any team that beats us isn’t beatable? They have 7 wins. They were beatable. Unfortunately we never seem to play well against them. I may not live to see another win against Wisconsin :(
Did I list NWestern? Or Fresno State? Or Iowa?

The returning players who performed above a pff 70 rating on more than nominal snaps last year was 4. That’s LOWER THAN HAZELLS returnees from his last year.

Wisconsin has way more talent. They’ve had crippling injuries after they played us. Had we played them with Cade freaking Yacamelli as their every down running back the outcome would have been different.

Syracuse runs a 3-3-5. Same as last year when they beat brohm. Beat Purdue and then had debilitating injuries on the defensive line. That happens with the 3-3-5. You need a stable of elite interior DL. They aren’t getting that at Syracuse.

Nebraska has always outrecruited Purdue. Scott frost was a moron.

It's been a couple of games of running well. We didn't dominate all season. Could be a combination of our play and our opponents play against the run. I didn't name you, I named pboiler so I'm not acting like anything in regards to you.

Regardless, no one said it was 100 percent talent, it's never 100 percent anything. Everyone has acknowledged issues with play calling, but you don't get beat like we did in those three games if there isn't a significant talent gap.
My bad I didn’t notice you were talking to someone else. Didn’t mean to insert myself.

I feel the choice at qb killed us this year more than any talent gap. I would have to look but I think both our rbs are averaging over 5 ypc for the season.

The returning players who performed above a pff 70 rating on more than nominal snaps last year was 4. That’s LOWER THAN HAZELLS returnees from his last year.

Wisconsin has way more talent. They’ve had crippling injuries after they played us. Had we played them with Cade freaking Yacamelli as their every down running back the outcome would have been different.

Syracuse runs a 3-3-5. Same as last year when they beat brohm. Beat Purdue and then had debilitating injuries on the defensive line. That happens with the 3-3-5. You need a stable of elite interior DL. They aren’t getting that at Syracuse.

Nebraska has always outrecruited Purdue. Scott frost was a moron.
I am done arguing about this. Ppf only tells the story of players who played last year and how they played. It does not tell the story of talent. And I will tell you I have never gone to look at it in my life but the talent that Brohm left or attempted to leave the next coach is pretty good.

Theinamann
Scorton
Jenkins
Brothers
Karlaftis
Kane
Allen
Hartwig
Mock
Tracy
Burks
Klare
Miller
Yaseen
Sheffield

I am sure I am forgetting others but that is enough talent to build around and I don’t care what their ppf says.

Imo the biggest gap was cb. Brohm had 3 seniors and not much behind them proven. Walters had the advantage if like 200 cbs in the portal to go get a couple and didn’t.

And that's the difference...some of us simply say, it's been one season and you don't know yet where it's going, could get better, could get worse.

Others have declared the staff hopelessly horrible and impossible to improve.

Folks wanna compare him to Hazell when dude already has more wins than he had his first two seasons and clearly is a better recruiter and more well liked by the players than Hazell was. Does that mean he's going to be successful here? Nope. Does it mean he's destined to fail? Nope.

Patience is a virtue few around here have. I still remember when people were all ready to send Brohm out on a rail after the COVID season so it's not surprising.
I should go onto The depot and find the 2021 Illinois thread. Jeff brohm wasn’t NEARLY as popular as he is now

I am done arguing about this. Ppf only tells the story of players who played last year and how they played. It does not tell the story of talent. And I will tell you I have never gone to look at it in my life but the talent that Brohm left or attempted to leave the next coach is pretty good.

Theinamann
Scorton
Jenkins
Brothers
Karlaftis
Kane
Allen
Hartwig
Mock
Tracy
Burks
Klare
Miller
Yaseen
Sheffield

I am sure I am forgetting others but that is enough talent to build around and I don’t care what their ppf says.

Imo the biggest gap was cb. Brohm had 3 seniors and not much behind them proven. Walters had the advantage if like 200 cbs in the portal to go get a couple and didn’t.
Do you want to dive into all those players?

Talent is how they’ve played.

What are you talking about? Recruiting talent? You’re talking about stars?

Take Scourton. He was a sparingly used backup freshman last year.

Last year he was a 62.2. This year 80.8! That’s WHY I BELIEVE IN WALTERS.

Brohm got karlaftis who was an amazing talent and posted a very nice 87.2 as a Junior.

Thienemann is at a 88.0 as a true freshman!

I credit Walters for that. If it was that easy, why didn’t the amazing talent that was George karlaftis do that as a true freshman? He was a 74.1. And he’s probably the best Pure talent along with Rondale Moore and selwyn Lymon that I’ve seen at Purdue

Brohm got karlaftis who was an amazing talent and posted a very nice 87.2 as a Junior.

I credit Walters for that. If it was that easy, why didn’t the amazing talent that was George karlaftis do that as a true freshman? He was a 74.1. And he’s probably the best Pure talent along with Rondale Moore and selwyn Lymon that I’ve seen at Purdue
BC, what's up w/ Strickland ? was a 4 star recruit although from the state of Indiana

BC, what's up w/ Strickland ? was a 4 star recruit although from the state of Indiana
A source pm’d me last year and told me word was he didn’t have burst for DE and would have to gain weight to become a 3 technique. This was after the mono.

He was a Freshman! Of course he’s going to get better. This is a dumb example.

Of course you won’t give Brohm the credit for finding him and getting him here.

Better by 18 per pff? Please tell me all the players you think got that much better as true sophomores?

Agree with you on Walters on the defensive side. By all accounts the defensive guys love playing in his system. Essentially it showcases what they're all about, similar to what Brohm does on the offensive side. Stud OLBs and DBs should get every chance to show what they have in Walters D.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020

I’m waiting. Please tell me the freshmen you think improved the most freshman to sophomore year under brohm and we will look it up.

I’ll give you one. Trice

Cory trice saw more the 15 snaps for the first time as a redshirt freshman in 2019

2019 69.9
2020 65.0
2021 63.9
2022 75.4

But hey, brohm is an offensive coach right? And he recruited TE and WR as good as any position. Maybe Payne Durham

2019 61.9

Great! We have a guy whose pff as a freshman is 0.3 from scourton’s! This must mean he went to 80 in year two right?

2020 48.8
2021 72.9
2020 67.6

What happened?

What about linebacker? Where I think the best true (not nickel) full time linebacker he got out of high school and developed was Jaylan Alexander… and that really is not saying much.

2018 51.4
2019 55.3
2020 62.4
2021 65.6

What happened? Wasn’t Alexander supposed to surge to 70.0 as a sophomore?

The thing is, when you actually look, there aren’t many players Walters got from brohm who are playing worse than last year. And most of them are much better. I’ve never gotten much push back that players under 60 get you beat. So let’s look at the players he got back over 60

Last year vs this year
Allen 67.8 > 58.3
Jenkins 67.5 > 72.0
Omonode 66.0 > 77.0
Brevard 66.0 > 62.2
Sydnor 65.2 > 65.3
Scourton 62.2 > 80.8
Stevens 61.8 > 64.0

By the way, wanna see the defenders that returned to Purdue in 2017 for Brohm’s first year?

Now offense
Downing 75.3 > 64.6
Mockobee 72.0 > 67.1
Hartwig 71.9 > 69.8
Mbow 71.0 > 70.3
Tracy 63.5 > 87.0
Johnson 63.4 > 54.8
Sowinski 62.5 > 62.1
Rice 61.2 > 59.8

Those are all the returning players Walters got over 60.0 on pff last year in more than nominal snaps. 15 guys!!

@Beorik if you are looking for positive signs for a defensive head coach, here is one…

Tyrone Tracy’s 87.0 has been bested by a Purdue offensive 3 times since pff began handing out grades during the hope era. They are these

Aidan Oconnell 2021 - 90.6
Rondale Moore 2018 - 88.8
David bell 2021 - 87.5

That’s it. That’s the whole list in 12 years.

I’m waiting. Please tell me the freshmen you think improved the most freshman to sophomore year under brohm and we will look it up.

I’ll give you one. Trice

Cory trice saw more the 15 snaps for the first time as a redshirt freshman in 2019

2019 69.9
2020 65.0
2021 63.9
2022 75.4

But hey, brohm is an offensive coach right? And he recruited TE and WR as good as any position. Maybe Payne Durham

2019 61.9

Great! We have a guy whose pff as a freshman is 0.3 from scourton’s! This must mean he went to 80 in year two right?

2020 48.8
2021 72.9
2020 67.6

What happened?

What about linebacker? Where I think the best true (not nickel) full time linebacker he got out of high school and developed was Jaylan Alexander… and that really is not saying much.

2018 51.4
2019 55.3
2020 62.4
2021 65.6

What happened? Wasn’t Alexander supposed to surge to 70.0 as a sophomore?

The thing is, when you actually look, there aren’t many players Walters got from brohm who are playing worse than last year. And most of them are much better. I’ve never gotten much push back that players under 60 get you beat. So let’s look at the players he got back over 60

Last year vs this year
Allen 67.8 > 58.3
Jenkins 67.5 > 72.0
Omonode 66.0 > 77.0
Brevard 66.0 > 62.2
Sydnor 65.2 > 65.3
Scourton 62.2 > 80.8
Stevens 61.8 > 64.0

By the way, wanna see the defenders that returned to Purdue in 2017 for Brohm’s first year?

Now offense
Downing 75.3 > 64.6
Mockobee 72.0 > 67.1
Hartwig 71.9 > 69.8
Mbow 71.0 > 70.3
Tracy 63.5 > 87.0
Johnson 63.4 > 54.8
Sowinski 62.5 > 62.1
Rice 61.2 > 59.8

Those are all the returning players Walters got over 60.0 on pff last year in more than nominal snaps. 15 guys!!

@Beorik if you are looking for positive signs for a defensive head coach, here is one…

Tyrone Tracy’s 87.0 has been bested by a Purdue offensive 3 times since pff began handing out grades during the hope era. They are these

Aidan Oconnell 2021 - 90.6
Rondale Moore 2018 - 88.8
David bell 2021 - 87.5

That’s it. That’s the whole list in 12 years.
Instead of a mystical ranking…why not look at on field production ?

Basically the whole offense that returns is less productive. Is that not on the staff?

Would you not expect returning players to make a jump?

All of the guys whose PFF rankings you posted had better production from year to year generally. You’re telling into the abyss here.

Here’s the only thing that matters 3-8

Here’s my one question for you…do you see this defensive scheme ever working? Even if we sign 4 classes where we are ranked now I don’t see us having 3 corners who can win M2M for 3 downs.

On offense, I didn’t see us attracting the WR talent or the RB talent for us to be better than we are today at that position.

These 2 factors will keep us from bowls. Plain and simple. A good coach would adjust to a system that works for the talent they have, not play a system they’ll never have the talent for!

Instead of a mystical ranking…why not look at on field production ?

Basically the whole offense that returns is less productive. Is that not on the staff?

Would you not expect returning players to make a jump?

All of the guys whose PFF rankings you posted had better production from year to year generally. You’re telling into the abyss here.

Here’s the only thing that matters 3-8

Here’s my one question for you…do you see this defensive scheme ever working? Even if we sign 4 classes where we are ranked now I don’t see us having 3 corners who can win M2M for 3 downs.

On offense, I didn’t see us attracting the WR talent or the RB talent for us to be better than we are today at that position.

These 2 factors will keep us from bowls. Plain and simple. A good coach would adjust to a system that works for the talent they have, not play a system they’ll never have the talent for!
Lol writes off a credible source for his opinion.

I told you, Oconnell gone. No bailout receiver. No linemen in the pipeline to take the place of Miller, Holstege and finau.

Lol writes off a credible source for his opinion.

I told you, Oconnell gone. No bailout receiver. No linemen in the pipeline to take the place of Miller, Holstege and finau.
Miller could’ve taken the place of Miller had they not taken away his starting job and moved Mbow there.

Was his job to have recruited linemen in the program who were on their way to playing
Doesn’t always happen that way. He’d have had a chance in the portal like Walters did. And even if he had failed I’m sure he wouldn’t have run off a starter and schemed to our weakness!

Doesn’t always happen that way. He’d have had a chance in the portal like Walters did. And even if he had failed I’m sure he wouldn’t have run off a starter and schemed to our weakness!
It does if you’re claiming he left Walters with the tools to win right away. You think that what was behind Holstege is normal, because your love of Brohm’s informs you that Dale Williams wasn’t a joke who is now an analyst in Louisville.

Walters staff is getting out of Nichols what brohm got out of Mbow and Hartwig, but there just wasn’t enough there to survive the attrition

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT