ADVERTISEMENT

Gillis

BoilerDaddy

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
Just posting this to acknowledge how well Mason Gillis is shooting the ball. I am starting to think that he is one of the purest shooters that Painter has ever had. He is 10/15 from two, 14/25 from three, and 20/20 from the line. I know that those aren’t huge sample sizes yet, but they are becoming large enough for me to wonder where Gillis ranks among the top shooting power forwards in the country. I’m loving seeing his development.

Just posting this to acknowledge how well Mason Gillis is shooting the ball. I am starting to think that he is one of the purest shooters that Painter has ever had. He is 10/15 from two, 14/25 from three, and 20/20 from the line. I know that those aren’t huge sample sizes yet, but they are becoming large enough for me to wonder where Gillis ranks among the top shooting power forwards in the country. I’m loving seeing his development.
He needs to shoot more.

Kind of makes one wonder why he was on the bench so much during the second half against Wisconsin...

Easy to see what Painter/Purdue saw in him (and, no surprise that Holtmann was really high on him as well).

Guy just plays the right way...understands what that is, and, does it to a tee.

As for shooting...he has worked at it, and, is a good shooter...plus, he takes good shots (at least more often than not).

With the Michigan game postponed, this would be a great time to add a set or two in for Gillis...if not already in.

Teams aren't keying on him to shoot, so it would add another dimension.
I don't think they need need to add any sets. The normal motion offense that they run get him open as long as the ball moves and the players move. He just gets sagged off of a lot when the ball goes down low.

With the Michigan game postponed, this would be a great time to add a set or two in for Gillis...if not already in.

Teams aren't keying on him to shoot, so it would add another dimension.
I feel like we did run something for him against Wisconsin were he was trailing behind Sasha as he came off that high ball screen. Believe it was to get him in position to feed the post but it left him with an open look.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
As an IU guy, I really wanted Archie to recruit him hard. He is a pretty darn good basketball player, but you should have seen him play baseball...

Reactions: Purdue85 and TX4GB
Why?
Gillis is a lot more productive than both IT and EH. Provides more defensively and rebounding, you don't lose much in terms of ball handling but that's what Ivey's for.
I can't come up with any reasons not to run this, outside of us not being able to stop a team with more than 2 guards on their roster.

Silver lining: I guess we'd guarantee ourselves a rebound on the 10% of opponent possessions that don't end in a bucket.

I can't come up with any reasons not to run this, outside of us not being able to stop a team with more than 2 guards on their roster.

Silver lining: I guess we'd guarantee ourselves a rebound on the 10% of opponent possessions that don't end in a bucket.
Play a zone?

Play a zone?

no-michael-scott.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Roeder and TX4GB
As an IU guy, I really wanted Archie to recruit him hard. He is a pretty darn good basketball player, but you should have seen him play baseball...
I think his best sport would probably be football. I don't know if he ever played but he would make either a great tight end or defensive end imo.

I think his best sport would probably be football. I don't know if he ever played but he would make either a great tight end or defensive end imo.
From a purely financial perspective between BB and FB for his future, at his size and athleticism, he could definitely get a look by the NFL as a pass catching TE.
He should ask Brohm if he can catch some balls in the Mollenkopf center just for laughs.

Why?
Gillis is a lot more productive than both IT and EH. Provides more defensively and rebounding, you don't lose much in terms of ball handling but that's what Ivey's for.
Gillis is starting regardless. You are substituting Furst for Thompson. IT has the best +- per minute on the team. You give up a lot of lateral quickness, ball handling, and shooting by substituting Furst for IT.

I know you won’t agree, so you can have the last word.

Gillis is starting regardless. You are substituting Furst for Thompson. IT has the best +- per minute on the team. You give up a lot of lateral quickness, ball handling, and shooting by substituting Furst for IT.

I know you won’t agree, so you can have the last word.
You're right, i don't agree. The primary ball handler going forward should be Ivey. If you don't want to start Furst, start Morton. He gives you more on D and in rebounding then IT, can create off the dribble more, is a better ball handler, good passer.

Speaking of football, I think that Jaden would make a phenomenal WR. That said, he has no reason not to cash in in the NBA.

I’ve also wondered if Trevion could be a stud tight end. He would be a huge target with great hands and a rugged body.

You're right, i don't agree. The primary ball handler going forward should be Ivey. If you don't want to start Furst, start Morton. He gives you more on D and in rebounding then IT, can create off the dribble more, is a better ball handler, good passer.
I think it’s possible that at some point Morton plays some point guard, but I don’t see him taking IT’s minutes.

Speaking of football, I think that Jaden would make a phenomenal WR. That said, he has no reason not to cash in in the NBA.

I’ve also wondered if Trevion could be a stud tight end. He would be a huge target with great hands and a rugged body.
Jaden is gonna make a ton of $ playing in the NBA.

I think it’s possible that at some point Morton plays some point guard, but I don’t see him taking IT’s minutes.
You might be an IT relative? I'm not sure what you're seeing in him that most of the rest of us aren't.
If you're being completely objective, he really should be playing D2. He can hit the wide open 3 pter with some consistency, but other than that, he doesn't provide any positives.
I get that some people here don't like to hear anything but positives about a player and get upset when you type anything negative, but that's what this board is for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT