ADVERTISEMENT

Deepest Purdue team in my lifetime?

purduedavie

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
I’m 53, been a diehard since the Lewis/Mitchell/Stephens days, before that I loved IU, in grade school Isiah was my idol lol. Anyway, in my opinion this might be the deepest Purdue team ever, right now I got 10 deep not counting Berg and Waddell who are capable as well. I can talk lineup construction for days, am I wrong in thinking this about the depth of this team? Also, thoughts on a minutes breakdown? Of the 200 per game I’ll take a quick shot at it from highest to lowest. Edey 28, Smith 26, Loyer 24, Renn 20, Colvin 20, Gillis 18, Furst 18, Jones 14, Morton 13, Heide 10, Berg 6, Waddell 3. I have Kidney Stones, not much I can do right now lol

Agreed, but you're talking POTENTIAL, I remember thinking that the team 2 and 3 years ago had to be the deepest and when all was said and done that was NOT the case......
We have some athletes coming but they haven't proven they shine when the lights are on.
We assume others will be stronger and better, but again, doesn't always happen.
We've also been relatively un-harmed by injuries the past few seasons. (you didn't hear me say that)
Should we be the deepest? Appears maybe. ;)

I’m 53, been a diehard since the Lewis/Mitchell/Stephens days, before that I loved IU, in grade school Isiah was my idol lol. Anyway, in my opinion this might be the deepest Purdue team ever, right now I got 10 deep not counting Berg and Waddell who are capable as well. I can talk lineup construction for days, am I wrong in thinking this about the depth of this team? Also, thoughts on a minutes breakdown? Of the 200 per game I’ll take a quick shot at it from highest to lowest. Edey 28, Smith 26, Loyer 24, Renn 20, Colvin 20, Gillis 18, Furst 18, Jones 14, Morton 13, Heide 10, Berg 6, Waddell 3. I have Kidney Stones, not much I can do right now lol
I'm usually not a ranking person but in this case. Have we ever had multiple top 50-67 kids, Returning NPOY, at one point a top 25 kid before injury in Heide and I'm assuming the most minutes played by returning players.

This has to be? Right?

I'd say pretty accurate mins breakdown for early in the season. Conference play, obviously I think will at least trim to 10 and likely 2 or 3 guys getting 30+.

Reactions: jtanoos1
I would agree with the statement that this is a very talented and deep team. If I were the coach, those are the type of minutes I would give out preseason And then cut back to an 8 man rotation towards the end of the year. It will be interesting to see if Painter gives out more minutes to his more talented players like Colvin, Renn, Furst and Heide? Or will he give their minutes to the more experienced players like Gillis and Morton? Some say Painter loves to play his more experienced players. But last year he started Loyer and Smith! It will be exciting to see if Renn or Colvin or Heidi break loose and earn that starting position! I’d love to see Gillis and Morton coming off the bench. This nothing against either player. But if they did come off the bench that would mean players like Renn or Colvin have really elevated their game and are ready to make their presence known! I would love to see Renn at the 4 or even the 3. I’d love to see a big lineup . I’d love to see a big player at the 3 rather than a combo guard. I’d love to see a real small forward at the 3instead of another guard. I’d love to see the mismatches Renn would create at the 3. But, to do that they have to have enough speed and ability to play defense. This could be a breakout year for Renn and Furst. I look forward to the potential excitement. Gillis and Morton are great players. But I sure would love to see Renn unleash his full potential.

I'm usually not a ranking person but in this case. Have we ever had multiple top 50-67 kids, Returning NPOY, at one point a top 25 kid before injury in Heide and I'm assuming the most minutes played by returning players.

This has to be? Right?
Was it '16 when we had Edwards, Edwards, Biggie, Mathias, Haas? 4 of those guys got NBA paychecks and Haas probably has made 7 figures himself by now playing in China.

I'd say pretty accurate mins breakdown for early in the season. Conference play, obviously I think will at least trim to 10 and likely 2 or 3 guys getting 30+.
Maybe Edey occasionally 30, I hope not Braden or Loyer, no reason to burn them out. Edey average 31 per game last year, hope that’s cut 3-5 minutes per.

I would agree with the statement that this is a very talented and deep team. If I were the coach, those are the type of minutes I would give out preseason And then cut back to an 8 man rotation towards the end of the year. It will be interesting to see if Painter gives out more minutes to his more talented players like Colvin, Renn, Furst and Heide? Or will he give their minutes to the more experienced players like Gillis and Morton? Some say Painter loves to play his more experienced players. But last year he started Loyer and Smith! It will be exciting to see if Renn or Colvin or Heidi break loose and earn that starting position! I’d love to see Gillis and Morton coming off the bench. This nothing against either player. But if they did come off the bench that would mean players like Renn or Colvin have really elevated their game and are ready to make their presence known! I would love to see Renn at the 4 or even the 3. I’d love to see a big lineup . I’d love to see a big player at the 3 rather than a combo guard. I’d love to see a real small forward at the 3instead of another guard. I’d love to see the mismatches Renn would create at the 3. But, to do that they have to have enough speed and ability to play defense. This could be a breakout year for Renn and Furst. I look forward to the potential excitement. Gillis and Morton are great players. But I sure would love to see Renn unleash his full potential.
Agree wholeheartedly about Mason and Morton, they can be leaders off the bench. I would like to see the 6-5 Gillis play done 3 as well, it will minutes for Furst and Renn, these two are keys, would love to see both step up and become the top 50 players that they were projected to be.

Agree wholeheartedly about Mason and Morton, they can be leaders off the bench. I would like to see the 6-5 Gillis play done 3 as well, it will minutes for Furst and Renn, these two are keys, would love to see both step up and become the top 50 players that they were projected to be.
I really don’t think Gillis plays the three. Purdue needs a better ball handler than Gillis at that position and Morton, Heide, and Colvin will be competing for those minutes. My gut says Heide emerges as the starter, but it could be any of the three.

I really don’t think Gillis plays the three. Purdue needs a better ball handler than Gillis at that position and Morton, Heide, and Colvin will be competing for those minutes. My gut says Heide emerges as the starter, but it could be any of the three.
I hope Heide starts but have a scary thought that Painter loves Morton and he will give him 30 minutes a night for no reason.

Where does this narrative that guys shouldn't play 30 minutes come from? Purdue has guys that average 30 minutes per game every year. Edwards averaged over 35 and cline over 33 on our Elite 8 team. Its not just Purdue, its pretty typical to have your best players play more than 30 minutes a game. I consider Smith one of our best players. He should be (and will) play more than 30 minutes per game next year.

On a somewhat related note, the Denver Nuggets played 8 guys last night. All 5 starters played more than 36 minutes and their point guard played 44. This is after 6 guys averaged 28.5 plus minutes over 80 plus games throughout a grueling NBA season. Caldwell-Pope is 30 years old and has averages 31.3 minutes in 92 games.

I think Smith and Loyer should be able to handle 30 minutes a game playing twice a week. I believe they'd be the first to tell you they could handle it and Painter would probably be the second.

Where does this narrative that guys shouldn't play 30 minutes come from? Purdue has guys that average 30 minutes per game every year. Edwards averaged over 35 and cline over 33 on our Elite 8 team. Its not just Purdue, its pretty typical to have your best players play more than 30 minutes a game. I consider Smith one of our best players. He should be (and will) play more than 30 minutes per game next year.

On a somewhat related note, the Denver Nuggets played 8 guys last night. All 5 starters played more than 36 minutes and their point guard played 44. This is after 6 guys averaged 28.5 plus minutes over 80 plus games throughout a grueling NBA season. Caldwell-Pope is 30 years old and has averages 31.3 minutes in 92 games.

I think Smith and Loyer should be able to handle 30 minutes a game playing twice a week. I believe they'd be the first to tell you they could handle it and Painter would probably be the second.
Well, as freshmen last year it was too much as they wore down over the season.
So that means it will be too much for them for their whole careers!
Guys dont' mature, get stronger and better.
They just stay the same year after year.
Don't you know that?

Well, as freshmen last year it was too much as they wore down over the season.
So that means it will be too much for them for their whole careers!
Guys dont' mature, get stronger and better.
They just stay the same year after year.
Don't you know that?
People are commenting on next year. Not last year, Smith and Loyer will be 20 years old when the season starts next fall. Probably at or near their prime as far stamina and endurance.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Enjoy him this year, chances are slim to none that happens.
The one way I could imagine it happening is if his brand keeps improving and the NIL money keeps growing. If he was at $900k last year, who’s to say he couldn’t get some national (or perhaps Canadian national) endorsements that put him well above that.

I read where Edey changed his visa from a student visa to a work or similar visa to be be able to better take advantage of the NIL offerings. I said it before. I have to believe there are some big endorsement deals that could be forthcoming to prolong his college career! He could make it cool to stay in school!

I read where Edey changed his visa from a student visa to a work or similar visa to be be able to better take advantage of the NIL offerings. I said it before. I have to believe there are some big endorsement deals that could be forthcoming to prolong his college career! He could make it cool to stay in school!
if it pays more to stay in school, why would he leave. looks like he doesn't have a future in the NBA so was a no brainer.

if it pays more to stay in school, why would he leave. looks like he doesn't have a future in the NBA so was a no brainer.
If he could bring in $2-5 million from endorsements, staying in school could be a more lucrative and better path to follow! I just have to believe there are some Canadian companies that could be tapped for endorsement deals. It was said Edey now has an agent. Put that guy to work to find that money!

If he could bring in $2-5 million from endorsements, staying in school could be a more lucrative and better path to follow! I just have to believe there are some Canadian companies that could be tapped for endorsement deals. It was said Edey now has an agent. Put that guy to work to find that money!
What Edey needs is the guy who put the marketing campaign for Bo Jackson together! Edey can play baseball, hockey and basketball! Maybe ask is golf his next sport? Or have him in a football jersey and ask, what is the next sport the Kraken can dominate? He’d be awesome for Dicks Sporting Goods!

What Edey needs is the guy who put the marketing campaign for Bo Jackson together! Edey can play baseball, hockey and basketball! Maybe ask is golf his next sport? Or have him in a football jersey and ask, what is the next sport the Kraken can dominate? He’d be awesome for Dicks Sporting Goods!
are you talking to yourself?

The one way I could imagine it happening is if his brand keeps improving and the NIL money keeps growing. If he was at $900k last year, who’s to say he couldn’t get some national (or perhaps Canadian national) endorsements that put him well above that.
Like Jackson-Davis I think Edey after this year tries his hand at the pro game. He’ll at the least sit on a bench for some team next season, if not he can make a good living overseas. Enjoy him this year, he won’t be around next year unless something unexpected happens which we definitely don’t want.

People are commenting on next year. Not last year, Smith and Loyer will be 20 years old when the season starts next fall. Probably at or near their prime as far stamina and endurance.
You could be right, personally, I’d rather see them both at 25 minutes a game, Purdue has the depth that they can afford to do that. Also, for sure, against top teams/close games they’ll be times when Smith likely gets 30 minutes a game, Loyer might be in a fight for a starting spot, who knows?

You could be right, personally, I’d rather see them both at 25 minutes a game, Purdue has the depth that they can afford to do that. Also, for sure, against top teams/close games they’ll be times when Smith likely gets 30 minutes a game, Loyer might be in a fight for a starting spot, who knows?
With Smith, I think it depends on Jones. With Kelsey Barlow backing him up, Lewis Jackson was able to stay fresh while applying full court pressure while playing 27 minutes a game. I could see Smith doing the same if Jones can provide strong minutes off the bench.

I don’t think that Loyer’s job will be quite as physically demanding, but his minutes could go down if Colvin is ready.

Reactions: Schnelk
With Smith, I think it depends on Jones. With Kelsey Barlow backing him up, Lewis Jackson was able to stay fresh while applying full court pressure while playing 27 minutes a game. I could see Smith doing the same if Jones can provide strong minutes off the bench.

I don’t think that Loyer’s job will be quite as physically demanding, but his minutes could go down if Colvin is ready.
Yes, Heide as well…Should be a interesting season.

Good point on Jones, I watched him a few times last year, FanDuel had me rooting for unders in SIU games, anyway, he had the ball in his hands often, however, he’s more of a 2 guard, hopefully, he can play PG minutes, if not him it’s Morton I guess.

Good point on Jones, I watched him a few times last year, FanDuel had me rooting for unders in SIU games, anyway, he had the ball in his hands often, however, he’s more of a 2 guard, hopefully, he can play PG minutes, if not him it’s Morton I guess.
Morton has shown that he can’t handle the ball. If something happens to Smith the dream season will be a nightmare.

Move Morton to zero & we then have a deep team. Getting close to 15.......not enough talent to keep him on his needed place

Last edited:
Reactions: bonefish1
Move Morton to zero & we then have a deep team. Getting close to 15.......not enough talent to keep him on his needed place
You know Painter, there’s a good chance early on Morton starts lol. I do agree, in my world he’s a 10 minute a game player.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I hope Heide starts but have a scary thought that Painter loves Morton and he will give him 30 minutes a night for no reason.
Morton needs to be about the 4th player off the bench. Come in for 2 minutes of spaz defense, then sit back down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT