ADVERTISEMENT

Gillis might be out for Senior Year?

RFSNES

True Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
Rumor is, he will be out of BB for his senior year at New Castle due to a second surgery on his knee. Does anyone know anything of Fact. If so, if he would Grad. mid year and in-role early at Purdue would he have access to the Sports Rehab Dept. Again, just heard a rumor but it was from someone local.

Rumor is, he will be out of BB for his senior year at New Castle due to a second surgery on his knee. Does anyone know anything of Fact. If so, if he would Grad. mid year and in-role early at Purdue would he have access to the Sports Rehab Dept. Again, just heard a rumor but it was from someone local.
It's not a sure thing at this time. As I said when he had his surgery, there was growing fear that he might not play. Hoping for the best for him and his family.

Is there some real advantage to having a basketball player enroll early? I thought as soon as you enroll the clock starts which is okay for football which finishes first semester but not for Bball.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I believe that if enrolled early that this would be a partial redshirt year. That is what happened to Haarms.

Is there some real advantage to having a basketball player enroll early? I thought as soon as you enroll the clock starts which is okay for football which finishes first semester but not for Bball.

Guessing he would redshirt. Similar to what Haarms did when he enrolled mid-year. A little bit different though as Haarms wasn't injured. Who knows if this set back could be career threatening. Wondering if Gillis could earn a hardship waiver if he can't ever play again or if his schollie would always count against the books.

I believe that if enrolled early that this would be a partial redshirt year. That is what happened to Haarms.

IIRC, Matt Haarms' eligibility was already starting because it had been more than a year since the end of his high school semesters. So, it made a lot of sense for him to go ahead and enroll in what was already a "red-shirt" year (at least from an eligibility standpoint).

Hopefully young Mr. Gillis can recover from whatever injury and enjoy productive time on and off the court. Would it be best to enroll (assuming he meets the admission standards) and to start his eligibility (and training, experience, access to facilities) sooner than later.....a lot of factors would go into that, along with a lot of speculation.

Good luck to him. Looking forward to seeing him and his teammates don the Old Gold & Black. But for now, I just hope he can enjoy his senior year in the best way possible....and return to good health. Those days go by too fast.

Hopefully, this isn't like the Kyle Molock situation where a prospect has reoccurring injuries and never plays for his first college choice. Maybe he'll make a full recovery.
This has me concerned about his basketball future. I wish him the best while trying to recover. Hall is a must now in my mind.

This is usually where the posts get ugly...……"CMP can't recruit"...…………."Gillis was only a ??star player"...…."blah, blah, blah"...
Let's just wish this future Boilermaker, really just a young kid, the best recovery possible.

He basically has no meniscus left. His most recent surgery was injecting stem cells hoping for it to grow back.

That means Bone on Bone...serious...older people have knee replacements with this.
If stem cells replacement does not work, his knee will always be a problem..no cushion
This could be a serious situation.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Anyone a doctor here? I think it varies from person to person...brandon Roy made it pretty far with no meniscus and Wade claims all his knee problems were due to a botched surgery at Marquette to remove the meniscus...let’s hope it isn’t something debilitating

Ouch. Will this turn into a similar situation we had with the guard from Ohio a few years back?

Anyone a doctor here? I think it varies from person to person...brandon Roy made it pretty far with no meniscus and Wade claims all his knee problems were due to a botched surgery at Marquette to remove the meniscus...let’s hope it isn’t something debilitating
No I’m not but I have a very close family member in sports medicine who specializes in stem cells. It has an exceptionally high success rate if done properly. I’d love to know who his doctor was.

Wasn't there a previous recruit either in basketball or football who reported to Purdue early to take advantage of Purdue's physical training facilities.

That means Bone on Bone...serious...older people have knee replacements with this.
If stem cells replacement does not work, his knee will always be a problem..no cushion
This could be a serious situation.

And I can't imagine that knee replacement parts were meant for elite basketball players :(

This has me concerned about his basketball future. I wish him the best while trying to recover. Hall is a must now in my mind.
I have to agree. Two knee surgeries, not good at all regardless of medical advances. Without Hall or a late bloomer or surprise flip, the 2019 class could get shaky.

I wish him the best, but Painter will have a decision to make on that knee if it is worth the risk. If it looks like the knee will be a persistent injury, Painter could move on. We just went through it with Taylor. Everybody wanted him to succeed, but he just couldn't stay healthy. Newman, Franklin, and Hall are all top priorities to go with IT and Gillis. If Purdue lands Newman, Franklin, and Hall it's possible Gillis finds himself on the outside looking in. Again, I hope it doesn't end up being a career altering type thing because he seems like he would be a great fit for Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT