ADVERTISEMENT

Gillis and Jones another year?

Boiledeggs

Gold Member
Mar 31, 2022
I’m pretty sure Gillis can use his Covid year next year, which he would be welcomed back. Correct me if I’m wrong on this.

Can Jones get another year too? Can a guy use a Covid year AND a graduate transfer year?

I’m pretty sure Gillis can use his Covid year next year, which he would be welcomed back. Correct me if I’m wrong on this.

Can Jones get another year too? Can a guy use a Covid year AND a graduate transfer year?

Lance Jones is playing his extra/5th year this season with Purdue - he has no more eligibility left. Mason Gillis is eligible (under the COVID rules) to play one more year, which would be his fifth playing season (he took a redshirt season before his first year).

Would need 2 transfers to keep Gillis. Possible these days, I guess?

Reactions: Boiledeggs
Jones is using his Covid year to play now. The grad transfer thing is for a player who still has a (4th) year of eligibility remaining, who has the freedom to transfer immediately in order to take a grad program at a new school. Usually for someone who redshirted as a freshman and graduated in 4 total years in school. Considering anyone can transfer whenever they basically want these days, the idea of a grad transfer specifically is obsolete.

Or he plays without a scholarship, and he gets a bump in NIL to cover tuition?
See that written about. Have not heard if legal.

I have seen how the freshman have done in the B10 this year. A lot of promise by some, but up and down. Kinda scares me we will be counting on them a lot given how tough the B10 is. So an older Gillis imo would be a welcomed addition. We will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiledeggs
Does this Gillis stuff have any shred of validity? Or is it simply message board dreaming?

I have seen how the freshman have done in the B10 this year. A lot of promise by some, but up and down. Kinda scares me we will be counting on them a lot given how tough the B10 is. So an older Gillis imo would be a welcomed addition. We will see.
It should be legal. Doug McDermott was a walk on his sr year to make room for another player…unless his dad was lying haha

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I’m confused, wouldn’t we still have a 2025 spot open regardless if Furst leaves after this year or graduates next year?
I think that would be correct that it would just take care of the scholarship issue for next yr if Furst leaves and leave us with 0 for 2025 as of now. Obviously another transfer(s) is possible or Catchings could leave after 1 and would free one up for 2025.

I think that would be correct that it would just take care of the scholarship issue for next yr if Furst leaves and leave us with 0 for 2025 as of now. Obviously another transfer(s) is possible or Catchings could leave after 1 and would free one up for 2025.
Have to make room for Edey also.

The latter.
My buddies daughter runs in the same circles as Mason, supposedly he’s mentioned using his Covid year to play another season. Who wouldn’t blame him, he’ll get paid and get another year of schooling for free if that’s what he wants to do. I doubt it happens at Purdue unless 2 guys openly want to leave, that’s possible, one never knows. I don’t think Painter forces a good kid like Furst off the team, he already has to lose 1 guy of scholarship, can’t see it being 2 unless someone on their own wants to go.

I could see two scenarios. Gillis transfers to another college to play basketball. Or Gillis accepts a position as a grad assistant to start a career in coaching.

We have seen this before where players had remaining eligibility but used that eligibility elsewhere. How soon we forgot about Hunter and IT. Many fans thought they would return to fill a backup depth role.

At some point you need to say thanks And give younger players a chance to play. Bringing back players like Edey and Gillis does a disservice to your new recruits.

A possibility is that Furst graduates in 3 years and becomes part of the Purdue athletic staff. If Furst does graduate , I can’t see him wanting to continue playing. Furst is a popular guy and a good guy to have as part of the overall program.

Reactions: purduedavie
I could see two scenarios. Gillis transfers to another college to play basketball. Or Gillis accepts a position as a grad assistant to start a career in coaching.

We have seen this before where players had remaining eligibility but used that eligibility elsewhere. How soon we forgot about Hunter and IT. Many fans thought they would return to fill a backup depth role.

At some point you need to say thanks And give younger players a chance to play. Bringing back players like Edey and Gillis does a disservice to your new recruits.

A possibility is that Furst graduates in 3 years and becomes part of the Purdue athletic staff. If Furst does graduate , I can’t see him wanting to continue playing. Furst is a popular guy and a good guy to have as part of the overall program.
No one has forgotten about IT or Hunter. It woulda been nice to have them as backups last year but they got beat out by freshman and wanted to start somewhere else.

Why does everyone have to be a grad assistant? Haha. What if Gillis wants to go play pro ball overseas? Or Furst wants to continue on with med school?

No one has forgotten about IT or Hunter. It woulda been nice to have them as backups last year but they got beat out by freshman and wanted to start somewhere else.

Why does everyone have to be a grad assistant? Haha. What if Gillis wants to go play pro ball overseas? Or Furst wants to continue on with med school?
I’m just saying if Gillis returns next year, it won’t be as a player. If Gillis wants to play basketball, it will be as a grad transfer somewhere else or in the G leagues or euro ball.

As for Furst, I just see him as a player who is using his scholarship to get an education. And once his education is completed, so will his basketball playing days. If he wants to go to med school next year, he’s not going to stick around to play basketball.

I once knew a player who was great in high school. He received a scholarship to play for Purdue. He completed his engineering degree in 4 years. He didn’t play a game his senior year until senior night. He could have redshirted. He said he had no intention of coming back for a 5th year. So he suited up and played that last game. And went on to become a professional engineer. I believe Furst may be one of those types of players. I believe Furst is one those rare types that is actually a student athlete!

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
My buddies daughter runs in the same circles as Mason, supposedly he’s mentioned using his Covid year to play another season. Who wouldn’t blame him, he’ll get paid and get another year of schooling for free if that’s what he wants to do. I doubt it happens at Purdue unless 2 guys openly want to leave, that’s possible, one never knows. I don’t think Painter forces a good kid like Furst off the team, he already has to lose 1 guy of scholarship, can’t see it being 2 unless someone on their own wants to go.
This is great news, would welcome another year of his tenacity and leadership for sure.

I’m confused, wouldn’t we still have a 2025 spot open regardless if Furst leaves after this year or graduates next year?
Only if someone else also leaves.

If Furst is the only transfer, then we would need another transfer at the end of next season to create a 2025 scholarship. But I’m sure there will be so I doubt painter is worried about it.

This is great news, would welcome another year of his tenacity and leadership for sure.
I’ve been on this site for 20 years, I don’t like posting stuff like that, it’s speculation that I believe to be accurate. In Mason’s case why not play 1 more year somewhere? I would have to think if there’s not room at Purdue (pretty likely) a school like a Louisville, maybe even another Big Ten school would love to have him. Heck, he could also go to say a Loyola, Indiana State type and be the man, not sure what kind of NIL they have, Loyola since they made a Final 4 might have a decent amount. Also, I would think Morton if he wants would get a shot to play somewhere next year, him moving to an Indiana State/Loyola type makes a lot of sense. Covid extra year ends after this year, topics like this won’t be discussed much going forward.

I’ve been on this site for 20 years, I don’t like posting stuff like that, it’s speculation that I believe to be accurate. In Mason’s case why not play 1 more year somewhere? I would have to think if there’s not room at Purdue (pretty likely) a school like a Louisville, maybe even another Big Ten school would love to have him. Heck, he could also go to say a Loyola, Indiana State type and be the man, not sure what kind of NIL they have, Loyola since they made a Final 4 might have a decent amount. Also, I would think Morton if he wants would get a shot to play somewhere next year, him moving to an Indiana State/Loyola type makes a lot of sense. Covid extra year ends after this year, topics like this won’t be discussed much going forward.
I don't see why he would go lower level school when he could easily be a day 1 starter for most P5 schools. I speculated, as fun, seeing him and Furst/Morton etc going to ND. Shrews needs to fill roster spots and those guys are familiar with him and his style. They are veteran leaders and can be instant impact.

If we win it all and I am Mason, I am going to a school in California or Florida. Be near the beach and enjoy beautiful weather while getting another degree

I don't see why he would go lower level school when he could easily be a day 1 starter for most P5 schools. I speculated, as fun, seeing him and Furst/Morton etc going to ND. Shrews needs to fill roster spots and those guys are familiar with him and his style. They are veteran leaders and can be instant impact.

If we win it all and I am Mason, I am going to a school in California or Florida. Be near the beach and enjoy beautiful weather while getting another degree
except USC or UCLA, it would be weird to face him

• Haha
Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Yea, I hear the U has a good paying booster lol

How would it not be legal? I can pay you 80k to put your picture on a bill board, then you take the 80k and pay tuition...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT