ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread - 2/17/22 vs Illinois (7pm on BTN+)

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
6-15 (1-9)

Hopefully this is a game that can get us back on track. Illinois has only a home win against Wisconsin to their credit thus far in conference play.

Purdue is shooting 3-18 - and it took nearly 8 minutes to get Moore into the game - bad coaching. No idea what KG is doing

Leading by one 32-31 at the half. Scored 7 pts in first Q but 25 in second. Good thing we are playing one of the worst teams in the B1G or we would be buried.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Announcers informing us that we're playing to get into the Big Ten tournament.

Final 70-54. Man, is Illinois bad. Just a completely unskilled team. Purdue didn't particularly play great and won going away. Terry had a monster game with 11 pts, 17 reb, 7 ast. She probably would've had another triple double if Layden could throw it into the ocean. Great minutes by Learn as she finished with a career-high 12 pts on 6-9 shooting. Her, Moore and Woltman help offset a horrible shooting night by Layden. We are pressing more and it's helping us with these type of teams. I would have to think Fahey will be replaced soon after this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocRon
Just started watching. 60-50 Purdue with 5 minutes left.
I got tuned in a couple minutes into the 4th Q - internet problems - just as Illinois went on their mini run to cut it to 10. Purdue didn’t look good the whole time I watched. Can’t put my finger on it but they just don’t seem to have the zip, energy, or confidence from a couple weeks ago.

Alot of sloppy, purposeless dribbling and ball movement. Hardin and Layden not looking for their outside shots. But apparently a monster night for JT against her old team. Happy for her as I’m sure she was motivated to do just that.
Hope whatever “slump” is happening goes away soon. They just looked “average” and we’ve seen them play much better- like both games against IU. Hmmmm

Reactions: DocRon and TC4THREE
I think this team has been competing above it's talent-level most of the season. I think it's taken alot out of them and maybe they've hit a wall of sorts here in the second half of the Big Ten schedule. Still, I think they've won just about every game they should win other than at Wisconsin.

Take out that horrid 1st and they played fine. Outscored Illinois 63-43 the final 3 quarters. 20 pt win is pretty good considering your leading scorer goes 2-13 from the field with 5 pts.

But we started 3-18 from the field (Maybe it was a hangover from Wisconsin) and it took KG 8 min to get Moore in there, I don't get that. She is instant offense - we need to start using our bench (Moore, Smith) more when our starters are out of it. Rutgers is beating down Minny pretty good right now, Sunday isn't going to be an easy game, especially if Layden/Hardin continues this shooting slump.

We have also won a few games (GT, FSU and MSU) that we weren't projected to - the season is still considered a success, especially if we can get a couple more wins before the BTT.

Totally agree with your last paragraph - I think their unexpected overachievement this season has me setting a higher bar for them than is maybe realistic. Regardless, they are a fun squad to watch, easy to root for, and bringing the joy back to the program.
They did look a little “disconnected” during the time I watched tonight, just like at Wisconsin. As TC said, maybe they’ve hit a bit of a wall. Temporary I hope. A lot of positivity in this group and coaching staff - they’ll get back on track.

Reactions: TC4THREE
When all is said and done probably looking at a 16-18 win season with a NIT birth, I think all of us preseason would have taken it. I said between 13-15 and here we are, think the over’s going to hit. Still work to be done though, team needs a really good portal player to come aboard for next season, if the get that they should be an upper Big Ten team with a tourney birth included.

Definitely have hit a wall. May be tired. Wisc gsme was horrid finish Abd we played like Illinois in half. Illini are dreadful. NIT probable but need to win a few more to secure it. Should beat Wisc at home and get one in first round of btt.
We have played far better than we are now.

If Learn could stay out of foul trouble I’d like to see her starting place of Woltman. Lots of missed bunnies from Woltman lately.
Our bigs have always missed bunnies - regardless of them being named Learn, Woltman or Kyle.

But you are correct that Learn shows lots of promise. However, don’t forget that Woltman had her best game ever against Penn Statae (18 pts, 11 reb) just 3 games ago.

Reactions: RBryant311
Yes, our front line is a make do situation that KG inherited. A big thing for her to fix. A great big from transfer would help a lot.

When you look at the box score, you wonder how we ever won that game (Hardin 2 for 8, Layden 2 for 13 and Ellis 1 for 13). And we only out-rebounded them by five. Thank God for our bench.

I guess the only answer is that Illinois is an incredibly bad team.

Last edited:
Illinois is off the board bad. The coach is a friend of the AD here, who already had the Lovie snafu. He has not fired her but almost will have to now. Their last game's home attendance was recorded as 976 fans. Illinois could become relevant again with the right coach, just like the whole BT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT