ADVERTISEMENT

foul, foul, foul

lkfletcher14

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2018
With our chances of making the tourney being very iffy, we can't afford to let one of these close games slip away. This time our free throw shooting nearly cost us one of these close games. Near the end we let a seven point lead slip away but we came back and had a three point lead with about ten seconds left. I'm yelling foul, foul. Unfortunately Coach Painter didn't agree and sure enough they pop a three and we're in overtime. We're in overtime and we have the same situation and I'm convinced that it's going to happen again. Fortunately, someone (don't remember) had the sense to foul and we slinked out with a win. There have been a few other times over recent years when Painter decided not to foul with a three point lead and only seconds left and it has cost us or nearly cost us. Does he not have his head in the moment. Most former coaches (now commentators) have said they would foul in such situations. Coach drives me nuts sometimes. Thank God for Happ's free throw shooting. By the way, for those of you who had assumed in their predictions that Rutgers would be an automatic win, are you having second thoughts?

With our chances of making the tourney being very iffy, we can't afford to let one of these close games slip away. This time our free throw shooting nearly cost us one of these close games. Near the end we let a seven point lead slip away but we came back and had a three point lead with about ten seconds left. I'm yelling foul, foul. Unfortunately Coach Painter didn't agree and sure enough they pop a three and we're in overtime. We're in overtime and we have the same situation and I'm convinced that it's going to happen again. Fortunately, someone (don't remember) had the sense to foul and we slinked out with a win. There have been a few other times over recent years when Painter decided not to foul with a three point lead and only seconds left and it has cost us or nearly cost us. Does he not have his head in the moment. Most former coaches (now commentators) have said they would foul in such situations. Coach drives me nuts sometimes. Thank God for Happ's free throw shooting. By the way, for those of you who had assumed in their predictions that Rutgers would be an automatic win, are you having second thoughts?

Many coaches and commentators also say don’t foul. Seems to be a pretty split view.

Way too much time left to foul in that situation. The rule is usually under 10 seconds and there were 17 left when he shot the basket.
Purdue is #18 in the NET rankings right now. Solidly in the tourney as of today.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Foul and have Tre and Haarms in for the prospective intentional miss on the 2nd foul shot.

Reactions: Schnelk
Foul trice with 20 seconds left? Terrible idea. Foul Happ when he doesn’t have ball= 2 shots and possession. Even worse call. Painter played it right, they just hit two really tough shots to tie it

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Agree that it's completely a matter of how much time is left. Trice tied the game with 14 seconds on the clock according to the gamecast. To me that's too early and leaves too many possessions left, especially considering the way we were missing free throws ourselves.

Nojel fouled Trice in OT with 9 seconds left. Even that too me is too early.

Agree that it's completely a matter of how much time is left. Trice tied the game with 14 seconds on the clock according to the gamecast. To me that's too early and leaves too many possessions left, especially considering the way we were missing free throws ourselves.

Nojel fouled Trice in OT with 9 seconds left. Even that too me is too early.
I am not sure that Eastern's foul was intentional but glad it worked out - and Edwards made an incredible leap to get the rebound of the intentional miss.

Remember the Maryland game in December? Carsen fouled. They made the first, missed the second. Ball went out of bounds. Maryland had BOB down 2, and a shot for the win that Nojel blocked. If that goes down, are you happy Painter chose to foul?

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports...-three-goes-wrong-for-oregon-in-loss-to-ucla/

I'm not big on the foul on purpose but it depends on your personnel and the other team as well. I still think you just play good d and take away the 3 as much as possible

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT