ADVERTISEMENT

For wolegib, IU fans, and/or angry Boiler fans

Jul 9, 2015
Wolegib, I thought your attempted narrative about PG and Romeo's current and future roles was interesting. Sorry it broke down. Look, as a Purdue grad, I despise as much as anyone Archie's success at grabbing instate talent, out-manuevering us at nearly all measures. Romeo is one such example (though I know we were not high on his radar.) It looks as if Brooks is theres to be had, as well. Not following IU basketball at all, the thing that intrigues me about Romeo is how he gets his points. I recall in his Soph season when he won his State Championship, he scored 27 quiet points (only 1 in the first quarter) yet it was obvious who was the best player out there. "Everything Bailey was...and more athletic" was the saying at the time. A generational talent. How does he compare to Cheaney, and how do IU fans rate Cheaney's NBA career? I rate it above average to solid, yet he never seemed to live up to his (perceived) potential. Will this be the future of Romeo? Is that "good enough"? My interest begins and ends with the fact I am a fan of ALL Indiana High School graduates in their basketball careers. My chatter on IU is officially over. Take it away, boys.

I loved watching Damon play HS and was friends with Damon when he coached his nephew in AAU. But, let's be honest, It doesn't take a whole lot to be more athletic than Damon. Mount, Alford, Damon . . . .incredible Indiana basketball shooters/players. And truly good people, well, maybe not SA, but who knows? Cheany is an interesting comp. I have no comment on him. He truly was an awesome College player.

Reactions: TX4GB
I’m not ready to declare that the state of Indiana belongs to Archie. The recruiting pitch is easy when a coach first starts at a new program. They get to talk about the things they’re going to do. It gets harder to pitch the dream once the final product has been seen on the court. Even if the product is good, the mystery of a new coach helping to turn around the program is appealing to some. I’m not saying he won’t continue to dominate recruiting in the state, I just think it remains to be seen.

I’m not ready to declare that the state of Indiana belongs to Archie. The recruiting pitch is easy when a coach first starts at a new program. They get to talk about the things they’re going to do. It gets harder to pitch the dream once the final product has been seen on the court. Even if the product is good, the mystery of a new coach helping to turn around the program is appealing to some. I’m not saying he won’t continue to dominate recruiting in the state, I just think it remains to be seen.

Obviously, the product often underperforms the expectations. I agree with you about Archie. Remember, early on the same was true of Crean. Whether the process repeats will remain to be seen.

As someone pointed out earlier in anothr thread, the Top 100 has ststes with more players than Indiana. Thus, the prior high concentration may no longer be true over time and thus the requirement for recruiting concentration may be diminished. I know that may be heretical but it also might be true.

Obviously, the product often underperforms the expectations. I agree with you about Archie. Remember, early on the same was true of Crean. Whether the process repeats will remain to be seen.

As someone pointed out earlier in anothr thread, the Top 100 has ststes with more players than Indiana. Thus, the prior high concentration may no longer be true over time and thus the requirement for recruiting concentration may be diminished. I know that may be heretical but it also might be true.
It would be one thing if we were reeling in top 100 from other states consistently. The issue is we aren't consistently getting top 100 talent from anywhere. Indiana is loaded with talent almost every year. We need to find a way to get the elite recruits from the state.

It would be one thing if we were reeling in top 100 from other states consistently. The issue is we aren't consistently getting top 100 talent from anywhere. Indiana is loaded with talent almost every year. We need to find a way to get the elite recruits from the state.
It used to be the elite talent stayed in state, whether it be IU or Purdue. That is the rule anymore.

I loved watching Damon play HS and was friends with Damon when he coached his nephew in AAU. But, let's be honest, It doesn't take a whole lot to be more athletic than Damon. Mount, Alford, Damon . . . .incredible Indiana basketball shooters/players. And truly good people, well, maybe not SA, but who knows? Cheaney is an interesting comp. I have no comment on him. He truly was an awesome College player.
Cheaney was GREAT in college and that is where my interest mostly stops.

Wolegib, I thought your attempted narrative about PG and Romeo's current and future roles was interesting. Sorry it broke down. Look, as a Purdue grad, I despise as much as anyone Archie's success at grabbing instate talent, out-manuevering us at nearly all measures. Romeo is one such example (though I know we were not high on his radar.) It looks as if Brooks is theres to be had, as well. Not following IU basketball at all, the thing that intrigues me about Romeo is how he gets his points. I recall in his Soph season when he won his State Championship, he scored 27 quiet points (only 1 in the first quarter) yet it was obvious who was the best player out there. "Everything Bailey was...and more athletic" was the saying at the time. A generational talent. How does he compare to Cheaney, and how do IU fans rate Cheaney's NBA career? I rate it above average to solid, yet he never seemed to live up to his (perceived) potential. Will this be the future of Romeo? Is that "good enough"? My interest begins and ends with the fact I am a fan of ALL Indiana High School graduates in their basketball careers. My chatter on IU is officially over. Take it away, boys.

Cheaney was a better perimeter shooter (which isn’t saying much, the way Langford has shot from deep thus far). But, in pretty much every other aspect of the offensive side of the floor, Romeo is significantly better. Cheaney was very good at taking the ball to the hole. Romeo is simply better at it. He’s also a better ballhandler.

Cheaney had a good NBA career. Good enough to last more than a decade — and often as a starter. But he was never a star in the pros. And maybe that’s enough to say he didn’t live up to what’s typically expected of a lottery pick.

Cheaney was the NPOY, 3 time AA, and all time Big Ten leading scorer...……...but Romeo is better in every aspect, excuse me...….significantly better. I needed a laugh after the football game. Thanks

Cheaney played at IU for 4 years. Romeo’s played less than half a year.

Romeo is (overall — not in every aspect) a better player now than Cal was as a freshman. I watched every game he played in ‘89-‘90. And I suspect that, 3 years from now, Romeo will be better than Cal was as a senior at IU.

Romeo is (overall — not in every aspect) a better player now than Cal was as a freshman. I watched every game he played in ‘89-‘90. And I suspect that, 3 years from now, Romeo will be better than Cal was as a senior at IU.

There's no way to compare them fairly. But Romeo has some huge shoes to fill before he is even close to Cheaney IMO. Maybe a better comparison, especially given the one and done bullshit, would be Eric Gordon...…..and Gordon was better too, at least thus far......IMO.

Between Archie, Izzo and Holtman, Painter’s going to have a rough go of it moving forward.

He’ll be fine. He’s never not had tough recruiting competition coming from somewhere....no different than any other coach, at any other school, at any other time. And his results have been pretty damn good, no?

CC was about team first. Romeo is about the NBA. CC was a much better defender. And I too watched every one of those games.

Romeo is about the NBA.

Where in the world are you getting that? I’ve never heard the first complaint about Langford’s attitude from anybody who actually sits in the locker room. If anything, they’re pushing him to be more aggressive offensively.

CC was a much better defender.

Mmm, I don’t know about that. FTR, Cheaney averaged less than 1 block and 1 steal over his career. He was an able defender — but nothing spectacular. Reynolds (and to a lesser extent G. Graham) was the lockdown guy on those teams.

Where in the world are you getting that? I’ve never heard the first complaint about Langford’s attitude from anybody who actually sits in the locker room. If anything, they’re pushing him to be more aggressive offensively.
Well, I guess Romeo will be at IU for four years then. Good luck with that. There's two reasons he's at IU....one, Pitino was fired. Second, there's that thing about the $100K gift to his daddy and the shoes IU wears. As for his unselfishness, ask his team mates at NA, and watch him in IU games.

Mmm, I don’t know about that. FTR, Cheaney averaged less than 1 block and 1 steal over his career. He was an able defender — but nothing spectacular. Reynolds (and to a lesser extent G. Graham) was the lockdown guy on those teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT