ADVERTISEMENT

Ethan Morton...

Big 3 pointer made yesterday when they frankly, needed it.

Yes...about mid-way through the second half with Purdue clinging to a three-point lead. After that shot put the Boilers up six, Indiana got no closer than four the rest of the way.

It looks like CMP is gradually working him into more of the game....and I think he's starting to catch up more. Ethan Morton will continue to have his opportunities and moments....CMP's patience and long-term planning helps, IMO.

On a related point, Jaden Ivey is clearly getting more of the critical playing time as well - that indicates to me more of a level of trust on CMP's part. In this day and age I realize it's hard not to look at things instantaneously along with a what-have-you-done-lately lens.....Purdue is still in a building mode IMO, but each game you can see more of the puzzle.....I like where it appears to be headed. However, I still expect a roller coaster ride the rest of the season.....the depth of the conference is definitely a part of that. I don't expect the re-match with Indiana to be any picnic for the Boilers....last scheduled game of the regular season right now.

All that aside, it was really good to see some young men step up in a variety of ways, and it looked like they were having fun as well....also, don't forget about Big Tre taking Jaden Ivey under his wing a little after a turnover.....really nice to see that.....part of the chemistry "experiments."

In hindsight, he should have been redshirted. I know its hard to RS a 4* guy. Next year and beyond he is gonna be one of the better PG in Purdue history, maybe eventually the best. I can see it. Hopefully, some others here see it also. We need guys that are happy distributing and not looking for a shot every time they touch the ball.

Reactions: bonefish1
In hindsight, he should have been redshirted. I know its hard to RS a 4* guy. Next year and beyond he is gonna be one of the better PG in Purdue history, maybe eventually the best. I can see it. Hopefully, some others here see it also. We need guys that are happy distributing and not looking for a shot every time they touch the ball.
Why would you redshirt someone in a year where no one’s eligibility is counted against them? He essentially is a redshirt (as is every player in college basketball).

Everybody gets a redshirt this year,so why not play him?

Yes...about mid-way through the second half with Purdue clinging to a three-point lead. After that shot put the Boilers up six, Indiana got no closer than four the rest of the way.

It looks like CMP is gradually working him into more of the game....and I think he's starting to catch up more. Ethan Morton will continue to have his opportunities and moments....CMP's patience and long-term planning helps, IMO.

On a related point, Jaden Ivey is clearly getting more of the critical playing time as well - that indicates to me more of a level of trust on CMP's part. In this day and age I realize it's hard not to look at things instantaneously along with a what-have-you-done-lately lens.....Purdue is still in a building mode IMO, but each game you can see more of the puzzle.....I like where it appears to be headed. However, I still expect a roller coaster ride the rest of the season.....the depth of the conference is definitely a part of that. I don't expect the re-match with Indiana to be any picnic for the Boilers....last scheduled game of the regular season right now.

All that aside, it was really good to see some young men step up in a variety of ways, and it looked like they were having fun as well....also, don't forget about Big Tre taking Jaden Ivey under his wing a little after a turnover.....really nice to see that.....part of the chemistry "experiments."
I "liked" your post so not being critical but the problem in basketball is that there are only so many minutes. I love all our guys. I think they all bring something positive to the table. Unfortunately, it's a zero sum game. If you give one guy more minutes somebody else is going to get less. Morton's minutes really haven't increased that much lately. He only played 7 minutes against IU. I think Morton is doing fine. He hasn't done anything that stands out, good or bad IMO, but if you give him more minutes you're taking minutes from someone else.

I know Painter has played Morton a few minutes at the 4 but I think Gillis and Wheeler are playing pretty well. So that leaves you with 120 minutes available at the 1,2 and 3. Sasha, Hunter and Newman are eating up about 90 of those minutes. Unless you believe Morton should be getting part of those minutes that only leaves about 30 minutes for Ivey, Morton and Thompson. I know where I'd like to see those minutes go but as we all know that really doesn't matter.;)

I think you forgot that no one is redshirting this year. Whoops

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I "liked" your post so not being critical but the problem in basketball is that there are only so many minutes. I love all our guys. I think they all bring something positive to the table. Unfortunately, it's a zero sum game. If you give one guy more minutes somebody else is going to get less. Morton's minutes really haven't increased that much lately. He only played 7 minutes against IU. I think Morton is doing fine. He hasn't done anything that stands out, good or bad IMO, but if you give him more minutes you're taking minutes from someone else.

I know Painter has played Morton a few minutes at the 4 but I think Gillis and Wheeler are playing pretty well. So that leaves you with 120 minutes available at the 1,2 and 3. Sasha, Hunter and Newman are eating up about 90 of those minutes. Unless you believe Morton should be getting part of those minutes that only leaves about 30 minutes for Ivey, Morton and Thompson. I know where I'd like to see those minutes go but as we all know that really doesn't matter.;)

Totally understand and agree about the minutes dilemma....and that's among many things that CMP has to balance and manage. I'm not necessarily thinking you'll see that much of an up-tick in total minutes.....gradual and obviously game-to-game and circumstances dependent, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ethan Morton gets more opportunities with selective minutes with the game on the line. They're still learning their respective roles undoubtedly.

We shall see.....another opportunity today, and big games coming up Tuesday and Friday as well.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan

I hope you're right, but he's never going to be able to guard real pg's, (too big and not quick enough) so not sure how he starts and plays major minutes unless he's running the show from the #3 spot. (could work with 2 shooting guards if say Ivey can stick with pg's on D)

Reactions: jtanoos1
Trust CMP, without burning a year Morton gets PT, recovers from mono, and gets to transition to the college game without having to be "the guy." He seems like the type (how would I know) that has worked really hard to get where he is. I'm guessing that will continue and now he has CMP to develop him further. He has great talent around him with more coming next year. I think he will be fine and am hopeful he becomes one of the next great 'Boilers we enjoy watching for the next few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT