ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Rutgers: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. It's the #2-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (18-2; 7-2) visiting Jersey Mike's Arena (RAC) in Piscataway, New Jersey to take on the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (10-8; 2-5). Tip is scheduled for approximately 1:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on FOX.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Rutgers - Mawot Mag, Aundre Hyatt, Clifford Omoruyi, Derek Simpson, and Austin Williams

Rutgers is coming off a 66-63 loss at Illinois, and Purdue defeated Michigan 99-67 earlier this week. Rutgers still hangs its hat on defense and has a balanced attack on offense. Their leading scorer is Aundre Hyatt with 12.2 points per game on the wing. Hyatt is also the Scarlet Knights' best shooter with 36 made threes on the season, the next highest (Griffiths) has only 16. Hyatt has reached double figures in his last four games, including a high of 17 against Nebraska. Clifford Omoruyi is a strong center in the middle, who has given Purdue fits on both ends of the floor. He was third-team all-conference last season and averages 10.8 points and 9.3 rebounds per game. Mawot Mag is another scorer from the perimeter who also adds another 4.5 rebounds as well. Mag recently put up 24 in a conference game against Iowa. Derek Simpson plays the point for Rutgers. He is a 6'3 sophomore leading the team in assists with 3.1 per game while adding 9.5 points a contest.

Rutgers is currently ranked 97th overall according to KenPom. They are much better on defense where they rank 12th in efficiency - offensively, they are toward the bottom at 254th. Rutgers slows it down more than Purdue - they rank 141st in tempo.

Look for another physical battle here today. Cliff Omoruyi has the talent and physical ability to match up with Zach Edey better than most bigs, and I expect Rutgers will play off that but also try to swarm Edey as well like they have in the past. The opportunities will be there IF the Boilers can anticipate, make the extra pass, and knock down some shots. Look for Rutgers to try and force some turnovers to help out there offense - this is definitely one of those games where Purdue will need to take care of the ball and be patient.

On defense, if Purdue can stay disciplined and seal off the glass, Rutgers will have some trouble scoring if they don't get a lot in transition. It will be an interesting test for Braden Smith - he had an excellent game at home against Michigan - can he carry that over to the road?

Rutgers has won 5 of the last 7 meetings (after Purdue took the first eight) and the last three at the RAC - Purdue's last win there was in 2018. Can the Boilers turn that around today and get another key road conference win? They'll need it to stay within a game (in the loss column) of Wisconsin at the top of the conference standings.

We shall see, starting in a couple of hours or so.....

Boiler Up, my friends....

i
i

REVENGE WEEK starts with Rutgers then NW. Always tough to play at Rutgers and they’re a good defensive team, but a bad offensive one this year. Let’s hope their offensive woes continue and we get out of there with a W.

Reactions: tjreese and Schnelk
This is a different Purdue team than the one who has lost three straight at the RAC and I think they’ll make that clear today.

up.gif
like the positive attitude *

* hedging my bets as a curmudgeon Boiler still recovering from a dose of Boilerepherine. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Schnelk
I "should be" a Purdue victory (finally) this year for our Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors, but this has been a tough place to play. I would think they are highly motivated to exorcise yet another demon on the way the March. #BoilerUp

Purdue 78
Rutgers 72

Hopefully we get them in Piscataway this year! If not, it's not getting any easier. Steve Pikiell is really loaded with the recruiting class next year (as are we) so I think this will be a battle for the foreseeable future. Who would have thought a few years ago that Rutgers would be more on our radar than Michigan, IU, Ohio State and Iowa!?

I think we make it out. Damn ucon-looks pretty skippy
UConn is good. I hope we get to see them after a deep run in the tourney. Would love to see Edey vs Clingan and see how we matchup the rest of the way against a program like that.

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. It's the #2-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (18-2; 7-2) visiting Jersey Mike's Arena (RAC) in Piscataway, New Jersey to take on the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (10-8; 2-5). Tip is scheduled for approximately 1:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on FOX.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Rutgers - Mawot Mag, Aundre Hyatt, Clifford Omoruyi, Derek Simpson, and Austin Williams

Rutgers is coming off a 66-63 loss at Illinois, and Purdue defeated Michigan 99-67 earlier this week. Rutgers still hangs its hat on defense and has a balanced attack on offense. Their leading scorer is Aundre Hyatt with 12.2 points per game on the wing. Hyatt is also the Scarlet Knights' best shooter with 36 made threes on the season, the next highest (Griffiths) has only 16. Hyatt has reached double figures in his last four games, including a high of 17 against Nebraska. Clifford Omoruyi is a strong center in the middle, who has given Purdue fits on both ends of the floor. He was third-team all-conference last season and averages 10.8 points and 9.3 rebounds per game. Mawot Mag is another scorer from the perimeter who also adds another 4.5 rebounds as well. Mag recently put up 24 in a conference game against Iowa. Derek Simpson plays the point for Rutgers. He is a 6'3 sophomore leading the team in assists with 3.1 per game while adding 9.5 points a contest.

Rutgers is currently ranked 97th overall according to KenPom. They are much better on defense where they rank 12th in efficiency - offensively, they are toward the bottom at 254th. Rutgers slows it down more than Purdue - they rank 141st in tempo.

Look for another physical battle here today. Cliff Omoruyi has the talent and physical ability to match up with Zach Edey better than most bigs, and I expect Rutgers will play off that but also try to swarm Edey as well like they have in the past. The opportunities will be there IF the Boilers can anticipate, make the extra pass, and knock down some shots. Look for Rutgers to try and force some turnovers to help out there offense - this is definitely one of those games where Purdue will need to take care of the ball and be patient.

On defense, if Purdue can stay disciplined and seal off the glass, Rutgers will have some trouble scoring if they don't get a lot in transition. It will be an interesting test for Braden Smith - he had an excellent game at home against Michigan - can he carry that over to the road?

Rutgers has won 5 of the last 7 meetings (after Purdue took the first eight) and the last three at the RAC - Purdue's last win there was in 2018. Can the Boilers turn that around today and get another key road conference win? They'll need it to stay within a game (in the loss column) of Wisconsin at the top of the conference standings.

We shall see, starting in a couple of hours or so.....

Boiler Up, my friends....

i
i
Should be a good one. I also expect Purdue to really push it and try to score before their defense gets set WHEN ABLE. Purdue probably favors more possessions, but smart possessions in the game. If Purdue has a couple that are shooting well to make them play more honest on doubles, digs and scrapes...as always, that helps Purdue.

Just win baby...no room for errors in the league right now. BTW, was down at Butler yesterday against Villanova and I must say I think the Big East refs are worse and that their calls are close to what we see in the tourney, with the holding, slapping and refs generally watching the game and not calling it. We see that on the bigs in the BIG, but generally they blow the whistle on the perimeter game.

Should be a good one. I also expect Purdue to really push it and try to score before their defense gets set WHEN ABLE. Purdue probably favors more possessions, but smart possessions in the game. If Purdue has a couple that are shooting well to make them play more honest on doubles, digs and scrapes...as always, that helps Purdue.

Just win baby...no room for errors in the league right now. BTW, was down at Butler yesterday against Villanova and I must say I think the Big East refs are worse and that their calls are close to what we see in the tourney, with the holding, slapping and refs generally watching the game and not calling it. We see that on the bigs in the BIG, but generally they blow the whistle on the perimeter game.
That Butler game and some others in recent days show you that games are not over until the final buzzer. Georgia came back from double-digits in the final 4 minutes to force OT. Wyoming came back from 11 down with 1:11 to play, sent it to OT and then won against a supposedly good Colorado State team. Play it til the end.

Reactions: tjreese
The confidence in this thread is surprising. Why aren’t people predicting gloom and doom? It’s the Boiler way. And it’s Rutgers. We don’t win there.

Only half kidding.

The confidence in this thread is surprising. Why aren’t people predicting gloom and doom? It’s the Boiler way. And it’s Rutgers. We don’t win there.

Only half kidding.
We will today. It will just be a typical grind it out game though.

Reactions: tjreese
That Butler game and some others in recent days show you that games are not over until the final buzzer. Georgia came back from double-digits in the final 4 minutes to force OT. Wyoming came back from 11 down with 1:11 to play, sent it to OT and then won against a supposedly good Colorado State team. Play it til the end.
Over the years I've seen Purdue win those games. And sadly, I've seen them lose some.

Reactions: tjreese and Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT