ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Brees is the greatest of all time

Greatest passer, sure. Cant really argue with what TB has done in the postseason, which is what really matters.
Unless Brady was playing all 22 positions post season shouldn't reflect what QB is the better one.

Oh exactly. I wasn't saying it means Brady is better. I do think he's more prototypical from before the rules changed though.

If you put everyone in the same rules, I still have Joe Montana. And I always hated the 49ers, but it's hard to dispute..

By the way, the worst fans possible. I went to high school out there in the years after the last montana super bowl.
if everyone played by same set of rules Marino would own every record in the book. Montana was the ultimate system QB.

NFL Career Passing Yards Per Game

1.) Drew Brees -- 281.0

2.) Andrew Luck -- 275.2
3.) Matthew Stafford -- 274.9
4.) Matt Ryan -- 272.4
5.) Peyton Manning -- 270.5
5.) Jameis Winston -- 270.5
7.) Jared Goff -- 263.9
8.) Tom Brady -- 261.8
9.) Kurt Warner -- 260.8
10.) Aaron Rodgers -- 260.3
11.) Philip Rivers -- 260.2
12.) Ben Roethlisberger -- 258.8

Notables:
16.) Dan Marino -- 253.6
20.) Brett Favre -- 237.9
21.) Dan Fouts -- 237.8
23.) Russell Wilson -- 237.3
38.) Jim Everett -- 220.5.
39.) John Elway -- 220.0
40.) Tony Romo -- 219.1
44.) Joe Montana -- 211.2
50.) Brian Griese -- 209.0
51.) Kyle Orton -- 207.3
56.) Phil Simms -- 204.0
58.) Boomer Esiason -- 202.8
60.) Troy Aikman -- 199.6
62.) Joe Namath -- 197.6
64.) Steve Young -- 196.0
71.) Fran Tarkenton -- 191.1
72.) Johnny Unitas -- 190.7

NFL Career Passing Yards Per Game

1.) Drew Brees -- 281.0

2.) Andrew Luck -- 275.2
3.) Matthew Stafford -- 274.9
4.) Matt Ryan -- 272.4
5.) Peyton Manning -- 270.5
5.) Jameis Winston -- 270.5
7.) Jared Goff -- 263.9
8.) Tom Brady -- 261.8
9.) Kurt Warner -- 260.8
10.) Aaron Rodgers -- 260.3
11.) Philip Rivers -- 260.2
12.) Ben Roethlisberger -- 258.8

Notables:
16.) Dan Marino -- 253.6
20.) Brett Favre -- 237.9
21.) Dan Fouts -- 237.8
23.) Russell Wilson -- 237.3
38.) Jim Everett -- 220.5.
39.) John Elway -- 220.0
40.) Tony Romo -- 219.1
44.) Joe Montana -- 211.2
50.) Brian Griese -- 209.0
51.) Kyle Orton -- 207.3
56.) Phil Simms -- 204.0
58.) Boomer Esiason -- 202.8
60.) Troy Aikman -- 199.6
62.) Joe Namath -- 197.6
64.) Steve Young -- 196.0
71.) Fran Tarkenton -- 191.1
72.) Johnny Unitas -- 190.7

Dan Marino would run circles around 80% of the people on this list. But he's at #16???? Really?? And this is a list you'd base part of your GOAT status on?

Dan Marino would run circles around 80% of the people on this list. But he's at #16???? Really?? And this is a list you'd base part of your GOAT status on?

Career passing yards per game, and Marino is 16th in NFL history. Reality. And he never ran rings around anybody.

Ouch. Thats hurtful

I still remember that SOB beating the bears (when i was still a fan) with two pins in his throwing hand to stabilize broken bones

I'm sorry you lost time in your life to rooting for that team and their dreadful owners

I’m a bengals fan now. Not sure which is worse

Always the Bears. You have to watch walmart grandchildren of a great man (george halas) stand there with that stupid smirk on their face while your team performs worse than failing restaurants in towns that time forgot about.

Anyone you like is worse than steve deberg

Steve DeBerg passed for more yards in his NFL career than Tony Romo, Phil Simms, Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Kurt Warner, Terry Bradshaw and Joe Namath, but they all got the TV gigs while Stevie just got to you.

Always the Bears. You have to watch walmart grandchildren of a great man (george halas) stand there with that stupid smirk on their face while your team performs worse than failing restaurants in towns that time forgot about.

No one will forget the ’85 Bears. If not the best team ever, then the best characters.

I once sat in the middle of Kevin Butler’s Traffic Jam after a game with Dan Hampton and Richard Dent when they saw my friend wearing a No. 29 jersey, waved us over and asked “Is that the number of your favorite Bear? Ours, too. Sit down and have a drink with us.”

Thank you, Dennis Gentry.

Career passing yards per game, and Marino is 16th in NFL history. Reality. And he never ran rings around anybody.
Were you even alive to watch Marino play? If not, please don't comment. He had one of the quickest releases of all time. He played on a "shit" Dolphins team that had no running game and still put up huge numbers. So don't be a dumbass...

Last edited:
Reactions: joe for prez
No one will forget the ’85 Bears. If not the best team ever, then the best characters.

I once sat in the middle of Kevin Butler’s Traffic Jam after a game with Dan Hampton and Richard Dent when they saw my friend wearing a No. 29 jersey, waved us over and asked “Is that the number of your favorite Bear? Ours, too. Sit down and have a drink with us.”

Thank you, Dennis Gentry.

Ed mccaskey was still alive and they let him finks do his thing. When Michael took over it was welcome to this shit

Were you even alive to watch Marino play? If not, please don't comment. He had one of the quickest releases of all time. He played on a "shit" Dolphins team that had no running game and still put up huge numbers. So don't be a dumbass...

A dumbass? No, you’re owning that category.

Anyone old enough to read can see the fact that Dan Marino averaged 253.6 passing yards per game as a pro and that's now only 16th best in NFL history. That's reality. No opinions, voting or bullshit poll.

Fifteen others have built better averages playing in the same league, on the same size fields, within the same 60 minutes and under the same damned rules. People have to throw and catch.

His receivers didn't get knocked out or wear greased oven mitts, either.

Marino had one 5,000-yard season. Brees has had five. Brees has run rings around him. Others have, too.

As noted above, I saw Marino play in person in his own stadium. Where were you? Sitting on your double-wide?

Anyone old enough to read can see the fact that Dan Marino averaged 253.6 passing yards per game as a pro and that's now only 16th best in NFL history. That's reality. No opinions, voting or bullshit poll.

Fifteen others have built better averages playing in the same league, on the same size fields, within the same 60 minutes and under the same damned rules. People have to throw and catch.

Marino had one 5,000-yard season. Brees has had five. Brees has run rings around him. Others have, too.

As noted above, I saw Marino play in person in his own stadium. Where were you? Sitting on your double-wide?
Marino had 5,000 yard season 20 years before anyone else. Why, because the rules were different and it was nearly impossible then with the physical play allowed. Put him on the Patriots or saints or any other modern team and he would have 6-7000 yards a season.
Ed can debate best QB all day but no one compared to Marino as a thrower

Reactions: purduepat1969

You have zero idea what you're talking about. You're looking at stats and don't seem to understand the difference in the game from that era to this one. All you have to do is look further down the list to figure that one out (Montana at 44, Elway at 39, Favre at 20). I feel bad for you that you're that black and white and can't actually analyze what statistics are telling you.

You have zero idea what you're talking about. You're looking at stats and don't seem to understand the difference in the game from that era to this one. All you have to do is look further down the list to figure that one out (Montana at 44, Elway at 39, Favre at 20). I feel bad for you that you're that black and white and can't actually analyze what statistics are telling you.

You really, really can't face facts. The numbers are real and growing. Your opinions help grow weeds over buried dinosaurs.

I grew up watching Y.A. Tittle, Charley Johnson, Jim Hart, Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Sonny Jurgenson, Don Meredith, Roman Gabriel, Fran Tarkenton and on. All were greats among greats, but the game was slower, meat grinders, and their numbers gradually slid way down the lists and got left in the huddle. Literally.

Athletes keep getting faster, bigger, stronger and, above all, more precise. And Brees has long established himself as the most accurate in history.

Everyone’s entitled to favorites. I just lost Bob Gibson, Lou Brock and Larry Wilson inside a month, and I’ve seen none better. But numbers are numbers, and while Gibson’s 1.12 ERA stands, Brock’s all-time base marks got passed, even if it was someone taking advantage of balk rules that Brock brought about. It happens.

Memories stand, too, like Wilson making interceptions with two broken hands and creating the safety blitz. But, through six decades, I’ve never seen anyone anywhere accomplish more than Brees, topping and still adding to all the all-time lists 14 years after he was supposed to retire with a torn shoulder. Too short. Too weak. Now it’s just too damned bad for the NFL record books.

Great arms? Hell, this ain’t body building. Or even wrist-wrestling.

Was it two years ago where there was the misssed PI call that should have helped NO win. Even the NFL said it should have been called.

Yes, Nat. 2018 NFCC in New Orleans against the Rams. The play that led to the one-year experimental challenge rule for interference.....they still can't get it right.

By the way, they probably could have also called a personal foul for a hit to the head for defenseless player, IMO.

Incidental contact - nothing to see here folks.

5faf590f64745682336725.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85

A legit Purdue Pat, among a few I know, contacted me with info on the statement above, citing it as being from someone talking only out of his … wide load.

Those so-called “shit” Dolphin teams for Marino? One losing season in 17 years. Goldilocks never had to go it alone. Talent was there holding his hand.

Marino in his second year made the Super Bowl, where he gagged with a 66.9 passer rating and got his butt handed to him by Keena Turner and the 49ers, 38-16.

Merely as a point of comparison, Brees had a 114.5 passer rating in leading the Saints to their Super Bowl win. Super Drew was nearly 50 points better than Marino while beating Manning and the Colts.

In his 18 playoff games, including the one I attended in Miami, Marino had an official NFL passer rating of 77.1. Pure passer? Pure crap. Brees rates at 99.6 for his 16 playoff games.

Brees is 8 points better than Marino in NFL career completion percentage. He’s 28 yards better in career passing yards per game. He’s had five 5,000-yard seasons to Marino’s and six others’ one apiece. He’s light years better in the biggest games.

So, Factless Pat, as you so eloquently stated, you have zero idea of what you’re talking about, so don’t be such a dumbass.

A legit Purdue Pat, among a few I know, contacted me with info on the statement above, citing it as being from someone talking only out of his … wide load.

Those so-called “shit” Dolphin teams for Marino? One losing season in 17 years. Goldilocks never had to go it alone. Talent was there holding his hand.

Marino in his second year made the Super Bowl, where he gagged with a 66.9 passer rating and got his butt handed to him by Keena Turner and the 49ers, 38-16.

Merely as a point of comparison, Brees had a 114.5 passer rating in leading the Saints to their Super Bowl win. Super Drew was nearly 50 points better than Marino while beating Manning and the Colts.

In his 18 playoff games, including the one I attended in Miami, Marino had an official NFL passer rating of 77.1. Pure passer? Pure crap. Brees rates at 99.6 for his 16 playoff games.

Brees is 8 points better than Marino in NFL career completion percentage. He’s 28 yards better in career passing yards per game. He’s had five 5,000-yard seasons to Marino’s and six others’ one apiece. He’s light years better in the biggest games.

So, Factless Pat, as you so eloquently stated, you have zero idea of what you’re talking about, so don’t be such a dumbass.
Comparing stats now v stats 25 years ago is foolish. The game has changed. Marino played in a veritcal offense. Brees has played in an offense that is more horizontal. Especially the last 3 years as his arm strength has diminished. It isnt a coincidence that completion percentages have gone up for almost all players.

Marino had some talent at the skilled positions. He had the Marks brothers as well as some great TEs.

He's trolling. He's just seeing how long he can keep the fish biting by claiming that the only stat that matters is yards per game. He doesn't believe that, he's just egging you on because people keep responding.

He's trolling. He's just seeing how long he can keep the fish biting by claiming that the only stat that matters is yards per game. He doesn't believe that, he's just egging you on because people keep responding.
He's pretty much done that in another thread as well talking about how O'Connell leads the B1G in yards and pass attempt. Well duh...

So, someone who continually proves you wrong by listing numerous facts that counter your baseless opinions is trolling? Then I’ll proudly take that title.

Try working on your reading skills. You miss the boat, then jump on the Titanic.

Comparing stats now v stats 25 years ago is foolish. The game has changed. Marino played in a veritcal offense. Brees has played in an offense that is more horizontal. Especially the last 3 years as his arm strength has diminished. It isnt a coincidence that completion percentages have gone up for almost all players.

A “vertical offense” that produced fewer yards and far fewer points? Now that is foolish. And that weakling can throw touchdown passes with five broken ribs. Oh, yeah ... and a punctured lung.

Last edited:
A “vertical offense” that produced fewer yards and far fewer points? Now that is foolish. And that weakling can throw touchdown passes with five broken ribs. Oh, yeah ... and a punctured lung.
@nat100 , sorry that you got involved in this one...he's relentless if nothing else...

Almost spit out the coffee I wasn’t drinking hearing some of the stuff said about Dan Marino. Best pure passer of all-time and I’m not sure it’s close. Put someone with his natural ability in today’s game in a modern offense and he’d put up Earth shattering stats. Born Boiler would be a HUGE fan. Too bad he probably never saw him play.

Almost spit out the coffee I wasn’t drinking hearing some of the stuff said about Dan Marino. Best pure passer of all-time and I’m not sure it’s close. Put someone with his natural ability in today’s game in a modern offense and he’d put up Earth shattering stats. Born Boiler would be a HUGE fan. Too bad he probably never saw him play.

Don't read well, do you?

Apparently about as well as your ability to evaluate QB talent...

As stated above, I grew up watching Y.A. Tittle, Charley Johnson, Jim Hart, Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Sonny Jurgenson, Don Meredith, Roman Gabriel, Fran Tarkenton and on. I'd been watching NFL football for over 20 years before Dan Marino took a pro snap. I saw him in person at his home field in the playoffs. And, as detailed at length above, he not only takes a backseat to Drew Brees in all career categories, but he fully stunk in the playoffs, where Brees again dominates Marino AND Brady in actual individual performance. Teammates are the only difference.

As stated above, I grew up watching Y.A. Tittle, Charley Johnson, Jim Hart, Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Sonny Jurgenson, Don Meredith, Roman Gabriel, Fran Tarkenton and on. I'd been watching NFL football for over 20 years before Dan Marino took a pro snap. I saw him in person at his home field in the playoffs. And, as detailed at length above, he not only takes a backseat to Drew Brees in all career categories, but he fully stunk in the playoffs, where Brees again dominates Marino AND Brady in actual individual performance. Teammates are the only difference.

Dan Marino is more talented than Drew Brees AND Tom Brady by a wide margin. He doesn’t have the career stats of Brees (because he played in a different era) nor the postseason accomplishments of Brady, but from a pure talent standpoint, there aren’t many, if any, better than Marino. Elway, Manning, Rodgers all in that category. You clearly just started watching football this millennium.

Dan Marino is more talented than Drew Brees AND Tom Brady by a wide margin. He doesn’t have the career stats of Brees (because he played in a different era) nor the postseason accomplishments of Brady, but from a pure talent standpoint, there aren’t many, if any, better than Marino. Elway, Manning, Rodgers all in that category. You clearly just started watching football this millennium.

Put numbers where your wide mouth is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT