ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Brees is the greatest of all time

Born Boiler

Junior
Dec 6, 2006
Most touchdown passes in NFL history -- Drew Brees.
Most passing yards in NFL history -- Drew Brees.
Most pass completions in NFL history -- Drew Brees.
Most pass attempts in NFL history -- Drew Brees.
Highest completion percentage in NFL history -- Drew Brees (season and career).
Most 300-yard games in NFL history -- Drew Brees.
Most 5,000-yard seasons in NFL history -- Drew Brees (5; no other beyond once).

Greatest quarterback in NFL history -- Marcia, Marcia, Marcia??? BULL.

Brees has done more with less. In less time.
Brady is given stars; Brees has to make them.
All the all-time numbers in one less season; two years younger.
Rings? Require superior teammates and coaching.
Brady is more gifted. Not physically. Not mentally. Just in getting credit.
Brady alone? One on one? Brees owns Brady. 5-2. Ouch. Tom … Thumb?
Brees beats Brady. Like a big bass drum. Wonder where he learned that …

Tell us something that us Boiler fans don’t know (tic)

Greatest passer, sure. Cant really argue with what TB has done in the postseason, which is what really matters.

I'd also add that the game changing made it possible for Brees to be this good. If receivers could still have their head taken off over the middle and if most teams were still in two backs, one TE, two receiver sets, I think Brees' career would have looked a lot like San Diego.

Desmond Howard was all but irrelevant in the NFL. Anyone think he still would be today?

I'd also add that the game changing made it possible for Brees to be this good. If receivers could still have their head taken off over the middle and if most teams were still in two backs, one TE, two receiver sets, I think Brees' career would have looked a lot like San Diego.

Desmond Howard was all but irrelevant in the NFL. Anyone think he still would be today?
That benefitted Brady as well. Winning 3 SBs where Edelman is your best WR (Gronk not a WR)?

That benefitted Brady as well. Winning 3 SBs where Edelman is your best WR (Gronk not a WR)?

Oh exactly. I wasn't saying it means Brady is better. I do think he's more prototypical from before the rules changed though.

If you put everyone in the same rules, I still have Joe Montana. And I always hated the 49ers, but it's hard to dispute..

By the way, the worst fans possible. I went to high school out there in the years after the last montana super bowl.

Excellent point, but was not Howard the MVP of a Super Bowl?

I miss the big hits over the middle. If you were a QB constantly leading your receivers into safeties you didn't last long. But a few times a game, to have that receiver who was willing to give it up for a crucial catch. That's just football. Knowing what has been learning about CTE (repetitive hits vs. a few big hits) since the restrictions went in place, I would prefer loosening of the restrictions on big hits and get back to the game policing itself a bit more.

Reactions: Lifetimeboiler
I miss the big hits over the middle. If you were a QB constantly leading your receivers into safeties you didn't last long. But a few times a game, to have that receiver who was willing to give it up for a crucial catch. That's just football. Knowing what has been learning about CTE (repetitive hits vs. a few big hits) since the restrictions went in place, I would prefer loosening of the restrictions on big hits and get back to the game policing itself a bit more.
The difference between now and then is that players are bigger, stronger, and faster. Plus, too many players are "launching" themselves helmet first at the ball carrier instead of really wrapping up and tackling. I'm betting the guys who are paralyzed are probably gonna disagree with you.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
The difference between now and then is that players are bigger, stronger, and faster. Plus, too many players are "launching" themselves helmet first at the ball carrier instead of really wrapping up and tackling. I'm betting the guys who are paralyzed are probably gonna disagree with you.
I don't think we are talking about launching with the helmet hits here, just good old-fashioned clean, hard hits.
Like I said, the QB's who put their receivers in extremely vulnerable positions didn't last long. You would quickly lose the trust of your receivers. But the more restrictive the rules became, the less those type of throws were frowned upon and self-policed by teams. The result was not too many actual rock-em-sock-em hits, but definitely fewer passes across the middle. It also created a niche for guys who could avoid the big hits, which is a skill in and of itself.
We're at the point now where nearly any hard hit on a receiver draws a flag. I've seen defenders literally stand their ground as a receiver flies into them and get penalized. That happened in one of the Purdue home games a couple years ago.
You can talk about paralysis, but those events are extremely rare and frankly more common in gymnastics and cheerleading. The driver for rule changes in football has been concussions/CTE, which as the medical community has become smarter, has come to find that continuous sub-concussive hits, i.e. playing football, is just as damaging over the long term as the concussions. Football is inherently dangerous and to the extent that rule changes have changed the game and provided legal cover for the NFL and NCAA, they haven't really moved the needle on CTE.
Agree that players are bigger and faster, and some adjustment in the rules, especially at the amateur level, was probably wise. But there needs to be some incentive for guys to protect themselves and their teammates.

It's why Rondale Moore will have a great career now, but there is a high chance he would have had a short, injury riddled career in the 90s...

Ronnie Lott, Chuck Cecil.. Though, unlike Cecil, I believe Lott would have been just as good adjusting to new rules.

I'm as homer as they come and I lover Drew as much as any Boilermaker, but you're wrong. Brady and his SB wins makes him unarguably, the GOAT.

Great QB, undoubted first ballot HoFer, and arguably top 5. But he's not the greatest of all-time. Not even close in my opinion.

Think it's between Manning, Brady, and Montana, throw Marino in there based on pure skill and talent level.

Brady and Montana win the postseason battle but the skill-level between Manning and the rest is a wide-gap in my opinion.

Manning has 5 MVP's. Nobody has more than 3 (at any position) and that alone should end the conversation.

Most First team All-Pro for the QB position, as many as Brees, Brady, and Montana combined.

Manning wasn't blessed with the longevity of Brees or Brady, but in their prime there's nobody better to do it than Manning.

Great QB, undoubted first ballot HoFer, and arguably top 5. But he's not the greatest of all-time. Not even close in my opinion.

Think it's between Manning, Brady, and Montana, throw Marino in there based on pure skill and talent level.

Brady and Montana win the postseason battle but the skill-level between Manning and the rest is a wide-gap in my opinion.

Manning has 5 MVP's. Nobody has more than 3 (at any position) and that alone should end the conversation.

Most First team All-Pro for the QB position, as many as Brees, Brady, and Montana combined.

Manning wasn't blessed with the longevity of Brees or Brady, but in their prime there's nobody better to do it than Manning.
Marino has no business in the best at the position argument. If talent is going to put anyone in the conversation it would be Rodgers.

Marino has no business in the best at the position argument. If talent is going to put anyone in the conversation it would be Rodgers.

Wait what?

Marino was a once in a generation talent. You old enough to remember Marino? He played on some terrible, terrible teams. But from a pure talent standpoint there aren't much, if any, better than Marino.

Wait what?

Marino was a once in a generation talent. You old enough to remember Marino? He played on some terrible, terrible teams. But from a pure talent standpoint there aren't much, if any, better than Marino.
I remember him. Like i said, i think Rodgers is more talented.

Manning would $&@/ the bed in the playoffs too many times for me to consider him the greatest. Drew has had some very poor luck in the playoffs but overall has played well in them.

Brady should be considered the GOAT at this point though.

The only people that argue otherwise tend to be butt hurt colts fans. Lots of those on this board.

Not a Colts fan, Saints fan, nor do I hate the Patriots or Tom Brady.

Tom Brady earned everything he got, but also appears to be a product of the system he played in for 20 years.

Nobody will get very far by trying to talk down Drew Brees accomplishments by using Patriots Super Bowl wins as a barometer.

Reactions: buffboiler
Not a Colts fan, Saints fan, nor do I hate the Patriots or Tom Brady.

Tom Brady earned everything he got, but also appears to be a product of the system he played in for 20 years.

Nobody will get very far by trying to talk down Drew Brees accomplishments by using Patriots Super Bowl wins as a barometer.

They wont? The goal is to win the superbowl, right?

Also, for a system QB, Brady has done well so far under Arians (who runs a completely different system).

The only people that argue otherwise tend to be butt hurt colts fans. Lots of those on this board.

Parrots echo the virtues of Brady -- nothing done on his own. Titles depend on teammates, particularly those playing on the other side of the ball.

Brees has spent most of his career surviving makeshift lines, having to teach rookies, routinely relying on third-rate receivers and compensating for defenses that pad all others’ numbers.

But, you say, titles mean most? Then Bart Starr over Tommy.

Pretty boy also kept his dimple safe with decades in the NFL’s weakest division. Less than three months in the NFC South, he’s already been beaten down, sacked and swept. Blowouts. Both by Drew Brees and his “underdogs.” Reality bites.

Bottom line, Brees overcame all, set and owns all the all-time records AND Brady.

Parrots echo the virtues of Brady -- nothing done on his own. Titles depend on teammates, particularly those playing on the other side of the ball.

Brees has spent most of his career surviving makeshift lines, having to teach rookies, routinely relying on third-rate receivers and compensating for defenses that pad all others’ numbers.

But, you say, titles mean most? Then Bart Starr over Tommy.

Pretty boy also kept his dimple safe with decades in the NFL’s weakest division. Less than three months in the NFC South, he’s already been beaten down, sacked and swept. Blowouts. Both by Drew Brees and his “underdogs.” Reality bites.

Bottom line, Brees overcame all, set and owns all the all-time records AND Brady.
Who were Brady's elite receivers on his superbowl winning teams? Ill wait.

If you want to bemoan the team for brees, ill listen, but diminishing what brady is capable of as a passer is lazy.

MVP??? MVP is the absolute dumbest claim to fame in the history of any game. It doesn’t mean crap. Subjective popularity contests. Opinions. Votes.

Drew’s numbers are reality -- all-time NFL records -- and he takes a backseat to absolutely no one. Accomplishments on the 100-yard field, not in the auxiliary press boxes and wide-load armchairs.

5,000-yard seasons. Brees has five. The rest of NFL history has produced just seven other such seasons with nobody else doing it more than once. That’s reality.

It’s Brees, Brees, Brees, Brees and Brees … then everyone else … once.

Most Voted Player? Hell no. Best ever. In fact and forever in the books.

Reactions: joe for prez
Who were Brady's elite receivers on his superbowl winning teams? Ill wait.

If you want to bemoan the team for brees, ill listen, but diminishing what brady is capable of as a passer is lazy.

List one passing category where Brady beats Brees. One

Hence my comment about greatest passer. Being a QB is about more than slingin it. Otherwise Phillip Rivers would be held in higher esteem.

Being Brady means hiding behind superior teammates.

No hiding him now.

38-3. 5-2.

Where's the GOAT in those numbers? Did he get slung out?

Being Brady means hiding behind superior teammates.

No hiding him now.

38-3. 5-2.

Where's the GOAT in those numbers? Did he get slung out?
Superior teammates? Julian Edelman? Danny Amendola? Wes Welker? Youre funny.

Matt Light. Rosevelt Colvin. Rob Ninkovich.

Brady's even had superior Boilers around him.
2 of those players are defenders. I said if you want to bemoan the Saints D, i would listen.

Are you going to ignore the pro bowl OL brees has had in his time?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT