ADVERTISEMENT

Dowuona finally plays in a game and.....

Looks like they are still considering enrolling him at Purdue for the upcoming semester, similar to what was done for Haarms.

http://www.jconline.com/story/sport...ball-recruiting-carmody-sets-visit/379204001/
That would be awesome! I could see Painter red shirting him in the same fashion as Haarms. But he would learn so much in practice trying to defend against Haas. I may not be Haas greatest fan, but he is an offensive force in the paint and would provide a lot better competition than what Dow would see in high school.

He's only just got past FL's clearing house. Can he clear the NCAA?

He's not past FL, just a temporary lift according the article. Sounds like it's basically an issue of how many years of HS ball he played as if I read it write (quick skim) he was basically a 9th grader twice so this would be his 5th year of high school then.

He's not past FL, just a temporary lift according the article. Sounds like it's basically an issue of how many years of HS ball he played as if I read it write (quick skim) he was basically a 9th grader twice so this would be his 5th year of high school then.
Which could take away his redshirt year ... probably not a huge deal, but like Haarms, might as well get him on campus.

Looks like they are still considering enrolling him at Purdue for the upcoming semester, similar to what was done for Haarms.

http://www.jconline.com/story/sport...ball-recruiting-carmody-sets-visit/379204001/
The thing that I remember that was written about him that generated the most interest in me was that he once went two weeks without eating or eating very little for two weeks in his country...and obviously he came here to make a living playing ball. I love an athlete that is hungry...figuratively, but has also known the literal side as a source of motivation when the going gets tough...

Yes, get him on campus............

It seems like even the coaching staff is unsure of the path forward at this point.

I would love to get him on campus early and not only play against Haas but learn from the other seniors as well.

Perhaps being from a different country, he doesn’t have as many social reasons to finish out his senior year (eg prom, etc. although this is purely speculation)

I would suggest fans temper their short term expectations on this kid . He has the potential to be a force on the boards and posses a good if not great shot blocking ability . But his overall skill set is far from refined . IMO he is going to take time to contribute . Give him a year in the system then lookout . He has all the right tools and abilities just needs coached up . I am 100 % positive on him but his coaching has been lacking . Maybe coaches have spent so much time teaching him basketball basic's they have missed on the skill set . IMO he is the most athletic center we have had since JJ give him some time .

I would suggest fans temper their short term expectations on this kid . He has the potential to be a force on the boards and posses a good if not great shot blocking ability . But his overall skill set is far from refined . IMO he is going to take time to contribute . Give him a year in the system then lookout . He has all the right tools and abilities just needs coached up . I am 100 % positive on him but his coaching has been lacking . Maybe coaches have spent so much time teaching him basketball basic's they have missed on the skill set . IMO he is the most athletic center we have had since JJ give him some time .
my guess as well...except I'm sure he is the most athletic center since JJ. Next year ask him to be quick in defending and live on his D, and any garbage buckets. Haas was one of the most gifted, offensive skilled players at the 5 Purdue has had for some time. Others got there, but he came to Purdue with a soft shot around that bucket and now he has finally added a tude with some force. ;)

I haven’t seen him play in person, but I’d say your assessment is probably accurate based solely off the level of play in south Florida. I live about 40 miles north of Miami and it would be an understatement to say basketball is an afterthought down here. These players only go against D1 talent during AAU season.

Before someone jumps on me, I’m not knocking his talent in any way. I’m just giving an idea of the level of competition he faces down here for those that aren’t familiar with the area.

I still don't see the issue of red shirting a half year this year verses an entire year next year. Once he arrives, looking at our big man depth, I doubt he ever redshirt! So why not start the train rolling now?

I still don't see the issue of red shirting a half year this year verses an entire year next year. Once he arrives, looking at our big man depth, I doubt he ever redshirt! So why not start the train rolling now?

I'd be surprised if he doesn't redshirt. He's much less polished than Haarms, Taylor and Tre Williams, all of whom can and will play the five.

but why not redshirt this year? or do you believe his development will require more than 1 semester.

I'm not sold on Taylor returning. if we win it all, he could graduate and call it a career.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen him play in person, but I’d say your assessment is probably accurate based solely off the level of play in south Florida. I live about 40 miles north of Miami and it would be an understatement to say basketball is an afterthought down here. These players only go against D1 talent during AAU season.

Before someone jumps on me, I’m not knocking his talent in any way. I’m just giving an idea of the level of competition he faces down here for those that aren’t familiar with the area.
I spent a lot of time at cocoa beach over the years...usually July. I would check out some parks and the YMCA where I was told you could find a game. What I found were so pretty good athletes that knew next to nothing about the game. Now I know it was the YMCA, but I don't think they know the game down there as well either

Played down there in my early 20’s at Ft. Lauderdale Beach. There were some decent players but my Indiana upbring served me well. I will say there was one guy that played in flip flops that drove me crazy. Supper smoth and could get to the rim at will.

Reactions: tjreese
I spent a lot of time at cocoa beach over the years...usually July. I would check out some parks and the YMCA where I was told you could find a game. What I found were so pretty good athletes that knew next to nothing about the game. Now I know it was the YMCA, but I don't think they know the game down there as well either

Exactly. There are definitely some talented athletes (especially the muck city guys) but not very many basketball players. It can be difficult to even find courts and when you do, they don’t really know how to play the game. I haven’t played regularly in years and can still hold my own down here, whereas I’d be too embarrassed to step on the court in Indy.

Reactions: tjreese
Exactly. There are definitely some talented athletes (especially the muck city guys) but not very many basketball players. It can be difficult to even find courts and when you do, they don’t really know how to play the game. I haven’t played regularly in years and can still hold my own down here, whereas I’d be too embarrassed to step on the court in Indy.
I quit playing at 45, but probably effectively at 42. I thought at 40 I would play until 50, but two quick twitch muscle tears...one in each leg for two years hindered me (or was it arthritus in a knee? :0 ) and found myself with too many youngsters that pounded the ball and did nothing with it to find the game enjoyable. BTW, since you are an IU fan...one of those tears came on a pass cutting baseline under the rim from Kreigh Smith that played for IU in the late 80s. Jim Thomas (sixth man on the 81 team came over a fw times, but I missed playing those days. Today, it would be embarassing to do anything on the court. Could probably play horse "IF" I shot for a few hours before since those muscles haven't been used in 20 years :)

I'd be surprised if he doesn't redshirt. He's much less polished than Haarms, Taylor and Tre Williams, all of whom can and will play the five.
I watched him play against a team that most of Indiana's lowest level teams would beat they lost to them . Kid is going to be good but it is the little things that he lacks such as getting position , holding Position, bumping the cutter, easy step in and out of the lane, trying to alter shots rather than blocking them, using both hands, blocking out , setting screens and so much more . If he guarded a B1G Ten center next year he wouldn't last 5 minutes . With all that being said this kid is going to be a really good player IMO . It is just a huge jump from who he plays now to where he is going . If Jacquil works with him one on one he could school him up quicker much like AJ did with Isaac . Kid has ALL the tools .

Reactions: Dakota Girl

But its warm right? Describe it! Snow and ice here today in Indiana.

I would anticipate a slow start to his college career based on the lack of experience in general. I also anticipate splash plays that display the tremendous size/athleticism combination. Blocked shots and put back dunks will be sufficient for year one.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I watched him play against a team that most of Indiana's lowest level teams would beat they lost to them . Kid is going to be good but it is the little things that he lacks such as getting position , holding Position, bumping the cutter, easy step in and out of the lane, trying to alter shots rather than blocking them, using both hands, blocking out , setting screens and so much more . If he guarded a B1G Ten center next year he wouldn't last 5 minutes . With all that being said this kid is going to be a really good player IMO . It is just a huge jump from who he plays now to where he is going . If Jacquil works with him one on one he could school him up quicker much like AJ did with Isaac . Kid has ALL the tools .
Who would you compare him to? does he have a jumper at all

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT