ADVERTISEMENT

Does Loyer start for next year's team?

Did a list come out that put Fletch as a top 20 returning junior? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm not understanding the reference.
Yeah it was in another thread. Braden was something like #3, Fletch was somewhere in the teens I believe. No TKR.

Loyer is a four year starter
I’ve been saying this since that time Heide made every shot and scored like 18 pts and immediately there was a thread about him replacing Loyer in the starting lineup. People want this guy off the bench so bad and I’m never going to understand it. I can’t believe this is still a conversation. He’s going to start every game of his career and it’s plain to see

He had some embarrassing flop attempts vs TN and UConn.
He had 27 out in Maui and was a huge reason we beat them…had some good steals on defense too. In the NCAAT, he had 14 and hit a huge 3 for us (only 1 of 3 hit all game). He was the third (maybe 4th) option last year in terms of scoring. Not sure what else he needed to do. I expect him to make another jump on offense this year, showing he can do more things than just shoot off a pass…I’d expect he’ll be able to get his shot off quicker too. His team defense has always been good, hope he is able to guard others one on one better, but that’s never an easy task.

I’ve been saying this since that time Heide made every shot and scored like 18 pts and immediately there was a thread about him replacing Loyer in the starting lineup. People want this guy off the bench so bad and I’m never going to understand it. I can’t believe this is still a conversation. He’s going to start every game of his career and it’s plain to see
No, it's not.
On many past Boiler teams it would be a given.
But he has a lot of competition.
He MUST get stronger.
Or he'll get passed by other more athletic players.
There's too much other talent on this team.
If he can't stop other 2's from going off (Main concern here, even the strength part) then his pt will be compromised.
In Braden, Myles and Cam we have plenty of other outside shooters, so that won't keep him getting 30 minutes.
That said, he's better than many here think and i trust our coach when he says Fletch opens up things for the rest of the team.

No, it's not.
He MUST get stronger.
If he can't stop other 2's from going off (Main concern here, even the strength part) then his pt will be compromised.
In Braden, Myles and Cam we have plenty of other outside shooters, so that won't keep him getting 30 minutes.
That said, he's better than many here think and i trust our coach when he says Fletch opens up things for the rest of the team.
And he is getting stronger. For those that don’t think he is, it’s ridiculous. There’s no way he’s just skipping the weight room and not eating. Just cuz he’s not jacked like Heide doesn’t mean he isn’t hitting the weights. And we don’t have (at the moment) a lockdown defender at the 2 position (maybe Harris and cox turn into that), but he is going to start for quite some time.

As has been consistently shown over the last 2 years, Loyer has a hard time on the offensive and defensive side of the ball when he goes up against athletic and stronger guards. He would definitely benefit from additional muscle in the weight room. However, I don't know if that solves the problem or not.

When he squares his shoulders, gets set and fires his shot, he can definitely be deadly from 3. However, last night showed again, when he drives to the basket, shoots off balance shots or floaters, or tries to create that this does not work for him. He is too slow to guard quick guards, and he really help us with rebounding (Smith probably out rebounds him 4 or 5 to 1 and he is 4 inches shorter).

He does have 2 years of experience, but with the more athletic guards, plus Heide and Colvin getting some experience this year, does Loyer even start for next year's team or will he be more of a 6th or 7th man on that team?
Loyer is going to be so much better! He'll be better in all areas! Fast brains and Savvy also wins games. He has both of those traits. In addition, he's a TEAM guy! In addition, experience matters.

And he is getting stronger. For those that don’t think he is, it’s ridiculous. There’s no way he’s just skipping the weight room and not eating. Just cuz he’s not jacked like Heide doesn’t mean he isn’t hitting the weights. And we don’t have (at the moment) a lockdown defender at the 2 position (maybe Harris and cox turn into that), but he is going to start for quite some time.
Imagine Senior Fletcher Loyer, after starting every game over the best 3 year stretch in program history, being relegated to the bench. I mean come on.

No, it's not.
He MUST get stronger.
I agree that it's always dangerous to assume what is 'plain to see'. From where do you see the competition Loyer coming? My understanding is that Heide is likely to play primarily at the four and Colvin primarily at the three with Smith at the point and Loyer at the two.

I agree that it's always dangerous to assume what is 'plain to see'. From where do you see the competition Loyer coming? My understanding is that Heide is likely to play primarily at the four and Colvin primarily at the three with Smith at the point and Loyer at the two.
He MUST get stronger.

Getting stronger does not relate to athleticism and can in fact destroy some of that in players. Loyer is and will be fine and will play major minutes.

I dont think that team (with TKR) rebounds or defends well enough at this point. Though its likely the best offensive lineup. part time useage probably.
I think we'll have another big on the floor with TKR and Colvin OR Heide.
That's where Colvin could take some of his minutes.
But you just need a couple of shooters on the floor for spacing.
Doesn't really matter what position they play.
If Fletch can't slow down high scoring opponents, then the answer is whoever is taking the swingman defender job that Lance owned.
One of the freshmen?
But just part time, I think he starts unless he's off the rails.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I dont think that team (with TKR) rebounds or defends well enough at this point. Though its likely the best offensive lineup. part time useage probably.
I think we'll have another big on the floor with TKR and Colvin OR Heide.
That's where Colvin could take some of his minutes.
But you just need a couple of shooters on the floor for spacing.
Doesn't really matter what position they play.
If Fletch can't slow down high scoring opponents, then the answer is whoever is taking the swingman defender job that Lance owned.
One of the freshmen?
But just part time, I think he starts unless he's off the rails.
We don’t know how this team defends or rebounds yet. It’s been Zach’s team in those two regards for the last 3 years…we don’t know if TKR can be the big rebounding threat or Heide and Colvin may be Greta at rebounding. We just don’t know yet, but I don’t think it’s fair to say they’re not good on defense or rebounding.

When did fletch not slow down a big scoring threat last year that someone else did? Morton one time in the Minny game? Other than that what game was fletch significantly worse on defense than others? Not trying to attack, but seriously asking because I can’t recall games where he was getting abused more than any of the other guys.

Paint isn’t breaking up one of the top backcourts in the country/Purdue history any time soon unless fletch has a Morton like descent and I don’t foresee that happening…

A Tennessee fan had the nerve to say "how many nattys". He was quickly reminded that Smith and Loyer have played two colleges seasons and have more Final Fours than the Volunteers do in their entire history.

A Tennessee fan had the nerve to say "how many nattys". He was quickly reminded that Smith and Loyer have played two colleges seasons and have more Final Fours than the Volunteers do in their entire history.
Don’t forget to also remind them that edey has as many NPOTYs as they do E8s in the history of their program.

Not sure it is the off the bench guy as much as the infatuation with athleticism. Cam is good and I'm excited for him, but he isn't the passer or overall ball handler Fletch is and put him behind Fletch on shooting. Cam is a better defender on the ball, while off the ball is much more debatable and I probably give the edge to Fletch based upon last year. Cam is a better rebounder and appears to take contact better on drives when fouls are not called. I just don't see Cam as a 2 I se him as a 3 or 4 depending on who is the other 3 or 4 mostly. We shall see, but Fletch moves the ball a bit quicker than Myles or Cam and "part of that" is Fletch not looking for his drive as much as maybe Cam and a bit more experience playing faster than Myles.

Paint ain’t sittin Fletch:

I recently re watched both UT games (I mean why not? UT has been our bitch for a while now and they whine a lot) and Fletch had quite a few highlights to say the least and they were easy to forget due to the magnitude of at least the last UT game. But he scored from all over the place and did some great defense.

Fletch isn't sitting the rest of his time here nor should he.

What also has me rather giddy is Smith/Loyer "feel" like seniors to me.. probably because they have played so much already and the thought of them being here two more season is just awesome.

Yeah it was in another thread. Braden was something like #3, Fletch was somewhere in the teens I believe. No TKR.

I thnk the bigger question might be not f Loyer starts, is ths Smth's last year starting, as in does he give it a shot at the NBA after this year?

I know it all depends on the year and if he thinks the NBA wll give him a shot a few inches short of ideal, but I can see a world where Braden goes pro. Wth a more lkely balanced scoring attack coming with Edey gone, Braden will get more of the scorng load and could put up some eye opening numbers. Us Boiler fans already know the talent is there.

I hope not, love Braden, but he might decde to gve it a shot. we wll see.

Oh, and yeah Loyer starts, kind of an obvious. Painter loves hm and Loyer has rewarded that love with some great 2 guard play.

I thnk the bigger question might be not f Loyer starts, is ths Smth's last year starting, as in does he give it a shot at the NBA after this year?

I know it all depends on the year and if he thinks the NBA wll give him a shot a few inches short of ideal, but I can see a world where Braden goes pro. Wth a more lkely balanced scoring attack coming with Edey gone, Braden will get more of the scorng load and could put up some eye opening numbers. Us Boiler fans already know the talent is there.

Oh, and yeah Loyer starts, kind of an obvious. Painter loves hm and Loyer has rewarded that love with some great 2 guard play.
At times Braden's game reminds me of Jason Williams, aka "White Chocolate." If he can put up assist numbers this year close to what he did last year, not only can he leave for the NBA, but Purdue will be very, very good once again.

At times Braden's game reminds me of Jason Williams, aka "White Chocolate." If he can put up assist numbers this year close to what he did last year, not only can he leave for the NBA, but Purdue will be very, very good once again.
Painter has compared Smith to Payton Pritchard in the past.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

Guys his size just don't get drafted early very often. He could / should be in for a huge NIL payday as a senior but the odds of him leaving early for the NBA are statistically insignificant.

Last edited:

I love Braden “Bearden” Smith and will be the first to tell you he’s the best PG Purdue has had, but unfortunately, with his height, he has things working against him. Not to say he CANT get drafted, but he would have to put up some reaaaalllllly good numbers like 25 ppg on 50% 3Pt shooting with 13 apg…which would be absurd. So I’m pretty confident he’s back next year (which is great from a fan standpoint).

With that said, I would LOVE to be wrong and see him drafted. But he’d have to weigh if it’s worth to go if it’s 2nd round or come back for some good NIL $$$$ and a chance at a NC/break some stat records.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT