ADVERTISEMENT

Did Purdue deserve to move up 5 spots?

Summy1

Junior
Jun 17, 2015
Purdue is #15 in the latest AP poll. Yes they just beat Maryland at home but I think they have yet to prove they can beat a big team on the road. Don't get me wrong I am happy but just surprised. What you think?

To me, it is hard to believe how close our Boilers are to being a top ten team, with the ups and downs they've had this season. What a year. This year's NCAA is wide open.

Reactions: purdue4sure
Purdue is #15 in the latest AP poll. Yes they just beat Maryland at home but I think they have yet to prove they can beat a big team on the road. Don't get me wrong I am happy but just surprised. What you think?
What I think is this is a wake up call to those who think good teams are never supposed to struggle, have weaknesses, or lose road games to good teams.. And to those who overreact when said things happen.
We could be damn near top 10 by next week just by winning 2 games we are supposed to win.

To me, it is hard to believe how close our Boilers are to being a top ten team, with the ups and downs they've had this season. What a year. This year's NCAA is wide open.
That is what I'm saying, and yes this years ncaa tournament will be fun.

Look at the poll and tell me who below Purdue deserves to be above Purdue. Also way too many teams ahead of Purdue lost last week. Purdue is ranked correctly

My first thought was Iowa, who rocked us twice. I haven't paid as close attention to the B1G overall this year outside of Purdue. How have they lost 4 of 5? Their one win in the last 5 games by 4 points over Minnesota. Wow.

My first thought was Iowa, who rocked us twice. I haven't paid as close attention to the B1G overall this year outside of Purdue. How have they lost 4 of 5? Their one win in the last 5 games by 4 points over Minnesota. Wow.
Iowa beat us when they were playing lights out. Now they are just going through a lull but will come back to life tomorrow evening in a BIG way over a probably over-ranked team. We are ranked correctly or just a tad under where are talent level is. Beating Neb. tomorrow will help our RPI some and also prove that we can win in hostile territories. Keep in mind, we took care of a VERY good Wisky team on the road 61-55 and a very good Pitt team 72-59.

Last edited:

We beat Pitt on the road, Duke couldn't. We beat Wisky on the road, and multiple others couldn't do it. Not surprised...and you clearly need to get happier and just enjoy it! ;)

I have to agree with those who have said the regular season title is now not much more than a way to arrive at seeding for BIG tournament. A true home & home regular season schedule as it used to be makes the regular season more meaningful but will never happen with season ending tournaments. How important is the regular season ... the regular season champion doesn't get the automatic NCAA bid.

but I think they have yet to prove they can beat a big team on the road.

LMAO ! ! !

First . . it was they haven't beaten anyone ! Then, they couldn't beat anyone who was ranked ! Then it was . . .they can't beat a top 10 team ! They can't come back when trailing by double digits ! & NOW . . . when will they beat a big team on the road ! Ha ha ha Ye have little faith my friends !

They are young, . . as I have been saying . . . & they are getting better. Remember when I said wait until we find a shooter, play complete games and get better at the press ???? ONE to go ! We just found our tournament shooter !

Oh ! . . And I forgot about our soft non-conference schedule ! As of now, Lunardi has the following teams in the tournament: Vanderbilt, Florida, Butler, New Mexico State, Pittsburgh & Dayton (our exhibition win)

I said they turned the corner on the season when they learned how to win a close game against a really good team (Mich. St) and now we are just going to get better. . . and better . . . and better !

FEAR DA BEARDS BABY ! ! ! Boiler up & HAMMER down !

I don't think what you point out is wrong in general (jumping so many spots) - but there's (major) lingering questions for a lot of other teams other than Purdue that are ranked too.

It's like earlier in the season - was Purdue really a top 10 team? Probably not. But teams around them kept losing, while Purdue was winning. Kinda makes you a default top 10 team.

Overall, teams this year have been wildly inconsistent. Could be a very entertaining tournament.

Weighing in on the regular season conference title...

Yes, unbalanced conference schedules changes the dynamic. That's one reason (along with early season stumbles) why Indiana is still outside the top 10 (and around 25 rpi) despite the fact that they could conceivable win the B1G by 2 games.

But... YES, I'd still rather Purdue win the regular season conference title than not win it.

I wasn't really expecting Purdue to win it going into the season, but I'm nevertheless bummed at how we played our way out of it. Purdue could've gotten to 12-4 simply by showing up @ Illinois and protecting a late 6-point lead @ Michigan. Had those two things happened we'd be right in the thick of it going into the last week.

Purdue fans should stop complaining about Indiana's conference schedule. We had our chances.

I'm kind of in that group that thinks that we played ourselves out of it. We also have to face the fact that Indiana won it and I don't think it was a gift either. Like it or not, that is a good team in Bloomington.

Tonight and then Wisconsin are two huge opportunities to sort of separate ourselves from the pellaton in the BIG.

There is just a lot of volatility in the polls due to so many teams with similar records/resumes, which is unusual at this point in the season. Last year at this time the #1 team was undefeated and the #15 team had 8 losses. This year the #1 team has 4 losses and #15 has 7.

Think about it this way.. A team like Virginia, who is currently at 22-6 and #4 could lose their last 3 games and end up near the back end of the top 25.

Reminds me of auto racing when the lead car in a pack gets passed by one car and next thing you know there are like 8 other cars passing by in the draft.

Should make for an interesting and undoubtedly contentious selection Sunday and an even more interesting tournament!

I'm kind of in that group that thinks that we played ourselves out of it. We also have to face the fact that Indiana won it and I don't think it was a gift either. Like it or not, that is a good team in Bloomington.

Tonight and then Wisconsin are two huge opportunities to sort of separate ourselves from the pellaton in the BIG.
Should be a good game @PBA tonight, to be sure, Neb. is over-matched but this is a road game so we all know we can erase about 10 points of what would otherwise be a blow-out. That's why I'm predicting 69-60 Boiler victory.

Just a general comment. I've seen a few comments intimating that we just played Iowa at the wrong time (when they were hot). That may or may not be true, but if you say that, please include our win over Wisky (when they were not hot) as balance. IMO, these two games offset.

Reactions: Summy1
Just a general comment. I've seen a few comments intimating that we just played Iowa at the wrong time (when they were hot). That may or may not be true, but if you say that, please include our win over Wisky (when they were not hot) as balance. IMO, these two games offset.
But Purdue played Wisky when they were starting their smoking hot streak, after we beat them they went on a tear and our game was close but it was a good road victory. I think Wisky WAS hot when we played them or at least the kindling was getting the logs red.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/3868...rc:cse.google.0YW6300000,cvo_crid:57704167400

Was hoping you had jumped off a bridge in your short absence but no...you're back to try to suck all the life out of this board just like you did the football one.

Reactions: PUBV
Was hoping you had jumped off a bridge in your short absence but no...you're back to try to suck all the life out of this board just like you did the football one.

What's he matter pboiler18, you get mad that people actually want a new coach besides your buddy Hazell?

So now there is a thread essentially complaining that we moved up in the rankings?

That aside short answer:yes

Long answer: yessssssssssssss

BBG, who is complaining? I wrote this thread simply asking others their thoughts on the subject. In my opinion I was just surprised because Purdue has gone .500 since Feb. 6th. Am I happy that Purdue is ranked so high, of course.

BBG, who is complaining? I wrote this thread simply asking others their thoughts on the subject. In my opinion I was just surprised because Purdue has gone .500 since Feb. 6th. Am I happy that Purdue is ranked so high, of course.
Fair enough, threads like this are usually meant to be a negative on this site. So I retract what I posted earlier if that was not your intent.

Reactions: Summy1
Fair enough, threads like this are usually meant to be a negative on this site. So I retract what I posted earlier if that was not your intent.
It's an interesting "style" some use to start threads. Take a positive like a big home win over a top 10 opponent, spin ever so slightly negative then ask what do y'all think? Does the poster tend to find affirmation in the negative responses? Personally, I think if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, probably is a duck.
And I do think the jump was warranted based on our win and the results from other teams around us

Weighing in on the regular season conference title...

Yes, unbalanced conference schedules changes the dynamic. That's one reason (along with early season stumbles) why Indiana is still outside the top 10 (and around 25 rpi) despite the fact that they could conceivable win the B1G by 2 games.

But... YES, I'd still rather Purdue win the regular season conference title than not win it.

I wasn't really expecting Purdue to win it going into the season, but I'm nevertheless bummed at how we played our way out of it. Purdue could've gotten to 12-4 simply by showing up @ Illinois and protecting a late 6-point lead @ Michigan. Had those two things happened we'd be right in the thick of it going into the last week.

Purdue fans should stop complaining about Indiana's conference schedule. We had our chances.

I agree with this but to me it's the Iowa home game that stands out with Michigan. The Illinois game was bad but it was a miracle game for those two seniors. Those things happen to everyone at least once a year

Reactions: rgarlitz
Iowa beat us when they were playing lights out. Now they are just going through a lull but will come back to life tomorrow evening in a BIG way over a probably over-ranked team. We are ranked correctly or just a tad under where are talent level is. Beating Neb. tomorrow will help our RPI some and also prove that we can win in hostile territories. Keep in mind, we took care of a VERY good Wisky team on the road 61-55 and a very good Pitt team 72-59.

Hahahaha...over-ranked huh? Sure...light up the victory cigar.

Hahahaha...over-ranked huh? Sure...light up the victory cigar.
I said "Probably", so yea, they had to hang on to a thread to get the win, but,,,,they got it so ....on the score prediction i'm eating my crow, no doubt, but as far as being over-ranked,,,, umm, not sure but they are probably right-ranked or a bit-over-ranked as you compare them to teams that are right above and right below.,,, can't really see IU beating those teams during the RTTFF

I said "Probably", so yea, they had to hang on to a thread to get the win, but,,,,they got it so ....on the score prediction i'm eating my crow, no doubt, but as far as being over-ranked,,,, umm, not sure but they are probably right-ranked or a bit-over-ranked as you compare them to teams that are right above and right below.,,, can't really see IU beating those teams during the RTTFF

Sure...and you never thought IU would beat Purdue either, did you?

Sure...and you never thought IU would beat Purdue either, did you?
I just mentioned that in my post just now which is a response to Plaxico80...I am more than willing to mention my prediction failures, no doubt, and I was off on that, (although Purdue almost won if it weren't for a bad goal-tending call). So anyway, you can check out that post i mentioned to see my reasoning for those picks and to get my most anticipated pick of the season. Please check it out and thanks for replying to my post.

I just mentioned that in my post just now which is a response to Plaxico80...I am more than willing to mention my prediction failures, no doubt, and I was off on that, (although Purdue almost won if it weren't for a bad goal-tending call). So anyway, you can check out that post i mentioned to see my reasoning for those picks and to get my most anticipated pick of the season. Please check it out and thanks for replying to my post.

Actually, thank you for almost acknowledging that Indiana won.

Reactions: honey_badger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT