ADVERTISEMENT

Desantis is GOP’s best shot of taking party away from Trump

I think you overestimate Trump’s “control” over the Republican Party. If he runs head to head with just DeSantis it will be a blowout victory for DeSantis. If the Republicans have 15 candidates again, Trump will win. That doesn’t mean that a majority of Republicans like Trump.
When a fool says that Sen. John McCain is not a hero because he got captured and still wins the republicans party nomination, he has control. Are you kidding me? That was win I was convinced a new cult was formed. His control is still in play now during these state Governor, senate and Congress races. Candidates that support the 2020 election lie gets his support whether they are good candidates or not. Most not.

Ahh. A former anti-Trumper who sold her soul to kiss his ass and get his endorsement. No wonder you like her.
Actually I have repeatedly said I didn't vote for Trump in the primary and won't again if he runs again but carryon. BTW how is Biden doing while the dems are focusing on Trump yet again?

Reactions: tearsforfears
When a fool says that Sen. John McCain is not a hero because he got captured and still wins the republicans party nomination, he has control. Are you kidding me? That was win I was convinced a new cult was formed. His control is still in play now during these state Governor, senate and Congress races. Candidates that support the 2020 election lie gets his support whether they are good candidates or not. Most not.
Believe it or not, what really upset me more was Trump disparaging comments about General Powell right after he died. Classless

Reactions: purduepat1969
Actually I have repeatedly said I didn't vote for Trump in the primary and won't again if he runs again but carryon. BTW how is Biden doing while the dems are focusing on Trump yet again?
So? Again, it’s obvious why you don’t like Cheney. It’s fine.

He won’t answer that.

So? Again, it’s obvious why you don’t like Cheney. It’s fine.
I thought I made it clear. She is chasing down the Dem rabbit hole for political points based on her and her family's dislike of Trump. This is occurring while Rome is burning down. If she were truly representing her state she would be fighting the Biden's administration's war on domestic energy. Trump energy policy good for Wyoming; Biden bad

I thought I made it clear. She is chasing down the Dem rabbit hole for political points based on her and her family's dislike of Trump. This is occurring while Rome is burning down. If she were truly representing her state she would be fighting the Biden's administration's war on domestic energy. Trump energy policy good for Wyoming; Biden bad
Is there any evidence that she supports Biden's energy policies?

Is there any evidence she has pushed for Biden policy changes during the 1/6 committee? She is tone deaf to her constituents
Would voting against them be considered evidence? There's nothing she can do about executive orders.

But also:

and

and this one

So to answer your question, yes, there is lots of evidence that she has pushed for Biden to change his policies.

So, why would Wyoming voters have a problem with her on energy, specifically?

I think you overestimate Trump’s “control” over the Republican Party. If he runs head to head with just DeSantis it will be a blowout victory for DeSantis. If the Republicans have 15 candidates again, Trump will win. That doesn’t mean that a majority of Republicans like Trump.
I'm not sure there are many candidates that will do what's necessary to take on trump. How can they differentiate themselves from him without criticizing him? And if they do that, they become the target of his attacks and his followers will ignore them.....or follow Trump's lead and go after them. That's why I don't think there's going to be a big field......and if there is it won't last long. This isn't 2016.

It's DeSantis or no one........and he's going to have to walk a very thin line in the next two years. He's a very deft politician, he can do it. Hell, he's doing it now. Look at all the support he's getting on this board.

But at some point, the sh!t is going to hit the fan. When it's just Ron and Don, they will have go after each other. DeSantis will still try to thread the needle with Trump's supporters, but trump won't go along with that. He will go full scorched earth and DeSantis will have no choice but to respond. He wants to gently sway the trumpers to his side, like he's been doing, but trump is not going to let that happen without a fight.

It comes down to how many trumpers have grown tired of him. The Joe Sixpack crowd will remain loyal but the others, again, as is plain to see on this board, are ready for something else.

At some point those two will have to get it on.......and it will get ugly. We all know trump. How's he going to react when DeSantis tries to take his voters away?

Would voting against them be considered evidence? There's nothing she can do about executive orders.

But also:

and

and this one

So to answer your question, yes, there is lots of evidence that she has pushed for Biden to change his policies.

So, why would Wyoming voters have a problem with her on energy, specifically?
Why would Wyoming support her only being one only 2 Republicans on the 1/6 committee that is going after a very popular pro domestic energy President who is out of office but beat Biden huge in 2020? You tell me

She is.

Lol. Why isn't you just can't possibly separate the 1/6 Cheney from the congresswoman Cheney? She voted with trump over 90% of the time. She is against the green new deal. You don't even know what you're talking about. But you have to find it a reason to hate her for what she's doing with the committee so you make stuff up.

Edit. Didn't your post droid.

She is.

Lol. Why isn't you just can't possibly separate the 1/6 Cheney from the congresswoman Cheney? She voted with trump over 90% of the time. She is against the green new deal. You don't even know what you're talking about. But you have to find it a reason to hate her for what she's doing with the committee so you make stuff up.

How many times you been to Wyoming?

Haha it’s funny that you’re mad Cheney is a constitutionalist while you claim to support the constitution. But I digress….

Oh and to answer your question about Biden. Am I happy with things? Of course not. But I’ll never be happy because Washington is fundamentally broken. Neither side is interested in working with the other. But I’m also not ignorant; we would be having many of these economic issues today no matter who was in charge. You guys carry on about Biden’s policies getting us where we are today but, as you know, he actually hasn’t gotten much passed. We can always argue about the stimulus being too much but hindsight is also 20/20. He has minimal control over fuel prices, and he’s passed literally next to nothing to cause them to spike.

I would like a fresh start across the board. Term limits down the line and more moderate candidates. I want separation of church and state as well; religion has absolutely no business in government, contrary to what Lauren Boebert says. Too many folks have been around for too long in DC and they need to go, and we need to weed out the extremists.

So am I happy? No. But I’m also a realist. We are coming out of a global pandemic that caused chaos in nearly every facet of every profession and industry. It’s a global economy and there seem to be a lot of folks that don’t understand we aren’t an isolationist nation, no matter how much they might believe otherwise. So it means that something happening half a world away can certainly impact us.

It is going to take years in some cases for things to settle. There is no magic wand. What we need are folks in Washington on both sides of the aisle who actually care about this country more than their own self-serving interests.

Most of us on here are probably more aligned than we think, but the extremist examples always get the most attention. And for some of us, the extremist examples should get the attention. I truly believe it’s a scary time for many groups of people. As a gay man, I’m worried about my rights being taken away. Rights you take for granted. So when you sit there and nod approvingly when a whacko like ecouch calls me a groomer or someone else calls Bob a pedo, yeah, I’m going to take offense and you’re going to get pushback. I don’t doubt at the end of the day we all want what’s best for this country, and I certainly don’t expect us all to agree on everything that entails, but stuff like that is inexcusable and it’s disappointing to see on a Purdue message board.

Anyway, long answer. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for. Agree to disagree and all that.

Why would Wyoming support her only being one only 2 Republicans on the 1/6 committee that is going after a very popular pro domestic energy President who is out of office but beat Biden huge in 2020? You tell me
So you agree her lack of support in Wyoming is due to her serving on the 1/6 committee, not due to her views on energy and the energy policies she supports? You and I both understand that Cheney serving on the 1/6 committee is independent of her policy positions on energy, right? Do the Wyoming voters just not understand this distinction? I suppose I could believe that may be true.

And, apparently, you also think her lack of support is because the Wyoming's Republican voters are susceptible enough to lies that they believe Trump actually won in 2020? I suppose I could believe that, too.

Last edited:
She is.

That is why I’ve been saying all along that the Republican is Chump’s party. You go against him on any way, he and the cult supporters will make it hard for them. Folks are in a fantasy world if they think DeSantis will just cruise to the nomination. Once he goes against Chump while traveling and spreading his message, he is through.

Lol. Wtf does that have to do with anything? Are you saying the info in the links is wrong? I guess you can't comment on Afghanistan since you haven't been there.......and any links you post are wrong for the same reason.
Bob, knowing the state of Wyoming has everything to do with it. I’ve been going there over 50 years and know a little about politics of the state. She shouldn’t expect to get re-elected by joining a kangaroo court that has a predetermined outcome over the objections from GOP leadership’s recommended members to be on the committee. This coupled with going after the President who was very popular in Wyoming and who’s policies were very beneficial to the state has everything to do with it.

Bob, knowing the state of Wyoming has everything to do with it. I’ve been going there over 50 years and know a little about politics of the state. She shouldn’t expect to get re-elected by joining a kangaroo court that has a predetermined outcome over the objections from GOP leadership’s recommended members to be on the committee. This coupled with going after the President who was very popular in Wyoming and who’s policies were very beneficial to the state has everything to do with it.
She voted with Trump over 90% of the time, so most of this post is straight up nonsense.

So you agree her lack of support in Wyoming is due to her serving on the 1/6 committee, not due to her views on energy and the energy policies she supports? You and I both understand that Cheney serving on the 1/6 committee is independent of her policy positions on energy, right? Do the Wyoming voters just not understand this distinction? I suppose I could believe that may be true.

And, apparently, you also think her lack of support is because the Wyoming's Republican voters are susceptible enough to lies that they believe Trump actually won in 2020? I suppose I could believe that, too.
So you’re saying Wyoming voters are dumb?

So you’re saying Wyoming voters are dumb?
It sounds like you're saying that, if your argument is that they think her serving on the 1/6 committee is evidence that she supports an energy policy with which they disagree. The two are completely independent.

My position, in contrast, is that they don't support her because her serving on the 1/6 committee is evidence that she doesn't support Trump. If that's true, then they are, in fact, correct in their assessment of her support for Trump.

I don't think their lack of support for her has anything to do with energy, but you keep going there to try to avoid saying that it's only (or at least largely) because of her going against Trump. If you're right, though, and they don't support her because they think she's "anti-energy" (whatever that means), then they are clearly misinformed about her energy policy positions or are unable to make the distinction between her serving on the 1/6 committee and her energy policy.

Last edited:
Then say that's what it's about instead of BSing about energy policy. JFC man.

It's about loyalty to trump and the party.......not the issues. That's what all of us are saying lol. You just argued your way backwards into the truth.

You want to start over, argue it's policy again?

Reactions: Droid12345
She voted with Trump over 90% of the time, so most of this post is straight up nonsense.
I'm not sure I'm following how this is nonsense. Right or wrong (I believe rightfully so), she's been going after Trump due to the Jan 6th fiasco. That's what the OP has been saying. Nobody in WY thinks the Jan 6th investigation is worth the paper it's being written on, just like most conservatives in Indiana. Whether she has integrity for calling out Trump matters not to the voters of Wyoming when most were supportive of Trump's policies. If she was a native of Wyoming, which she's not, she might be untouchable. But they have other candidates that can take her on and win...

• Love
Reactions: BSIT
I'm not sure I'm following how this is nonsense. Right or wrong (I believe rightfully so), she's been going after Trump due to the Jan 6th fiasco. That's what the OP has been saying. Nobody in WY thinks the Jan 6th investigation is worth the paper it's being written on, just like most conservatives in Indiana. Whether she has integrity for calling out Trump matters not to the voters of Wyoming when most were supportive of Trump's policies. If she was a native of Wyoming, which she's not, she might be untouchable. But they have other candidates that can take her on and win...
Go back and read what he’s written and get back to me. At best, he’s talking out of both sides of his mouth.

Then say that's what it's about instead of BSing about energy policy. JFC man.

It's about loyalty to trump and the party.......not the issues. That's what all of us are saying lol. You just argued your way backwards into the truth.

You want to start over, argue it's policy again?
Bob
You need to reread what I posted earlier on this thread. I said she would be safe if she hadn’t joined the 1/6 committee. Aligning with the party that is anti Trump that is hoping this will be the 3rd times the charm is political suicide especially when Trump and his policies were/are very popular in Wyoming. I’m attaching my earlier post which I 100% stand by:

If she wasn’t on the 1/6 committee, I’m certain her seat would have been safe but she represents Wyoming and her constituents are turning on her. With energy and natural resources being a huge contributor to their economy, I’m certain the perception she is supporting the anti energy party instead of the President who was pro energy has as much as anything with her demise. Wyoming is rural and driving hours one way isn’t unheard of coupled with income inequality being a big issue there, she is facing the perfect storm of defeat

Haha it’s funny that you’re mad Cheney is a constitutionalist while you claim to support the constitution. But I digress….

Oh and to answer your question about Biden. Am I happy with things? Of course not. But I’ll never be happy because Washington is fundamentally broken. Neither side is interested in working with the other. But I’m also not ignorant; we would be having many of these economic issues today no matter who was in charge. You guys carry on about Biden’s policies getting us where we are today but, as you know, he actually hasn’t gotten much passed. We can always argue about the stimulus being too much but hindsight is also 20/20. He has minimal control over fuel prices, and he’s passed literally next to nothing to cause them to spike.

I would like a fresh start across the board. Term limits down the line and more moderate candidates. I want separation of church and state as well; religion has absolutely no business in government, contrary to what Lauren Boebert says. Too many folks have been around for too long in DC and they need to go, and we need to weed out the extremists.

So am I happy? No. But I’m also a realist. We are coming out of a global pandemic that caused chaos in nearly every facet of every profession and industry. It’s a global economy and there seem to be a lot of folks that don’t understand we aren’t an isolationist nation, no matter how much they might believe otherwise. So it means that something happening half a world away can certainly impact us.

It is going to take years in some cases for things to settle. There is no magic wand. What we need are folks in Washington on both sides of the aisle who actually care about this country more than their own self-serving interests.

Most of us on here are probably more aligned than we think, but the extremist examples always get the most attention. And for some of us, the extremist examples should get the attention. I truly believe it’s a scary time for many groups of people. As a gay man, I’m worried about my rights being taken away. Rights you take for granted. So when you sit there and nod approvingly when a whacko like ecouch calls me a groomer or someone else calls Bob a pedo, yeah, I’m going to take offense and you’re going to get pushback. I don’t doubt at the end of the day we all want what’s best for this country, and I certainly don’t expect us all to agree on everything that entails, but stuff like that is inexcusable and it’s disappointing to see on a Purdue message board.

Anyway, long answer. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for. Agree to disagree and all that.
Great post.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a discussion board were discussion threads focused on particular topics. Posters could debate their evidence based positions and maybe everyone on the board would have a clearer understanding of the topic.

Instead of just saying Joe Biden sucks because there is high inflation, wouldn't it be nice to come on a board and have people discuss why there is global inflation and debate which of Biden's policies have contributed to the inflation and what policies or actions could he take now to combat it?

Posters could share ideas based on articles or studies. Others could challenge those views and counter with their own evidence based ideas.

Wouldn't that be something on a website that is primarily visited by alumni from one of the greatest universities in the world?

Did you not comprehend any word I just said? Trump would have never received the nomination in 2016 had the GOP chosen 1 person to run against him. He has strong support, but not close to the majority of the party.

The Dems learned from this and had everyone drop out except Biden when Bernie had early success.

Reactions: Chris P Bacon
I'm not sure there are many candidates that will do what's necessary to take on trump. How can they differentiate themselves from him without criticizing him? And if they do that, they become the target of his attacks and his followers will ignore them.....or follow Trump's lead and go after them. That's why I don't think there's going to be a big field......and if there is it won't last long. This isn't 2016.

It's DeSantis or no one........and he's going to have to walk a very thin line in the next two years. He's a very deft politician, he can do it. Hell, he's doing it now. Look at all the support he's getting on this board.

But at some point, the sh!t is going to hit the fan. When it's just Ron and Don, they will have go after each other. DeSantis will still try to thread the needle with Trump's supporters, but trump won't go along with that. He will go full scorched earth and DeSantis will have no choice but to respond. He wants to gently sway the trumpers to his side, like he's been doing, but trump is not going to let that happen without a fight.

It comes down to how many trumpers have grown tired of him. The Joe Sixpack crowd will remain loyal but the others, again, as is plain to see on this board, are ready for something else.

At some point those two will have to get it on.......and it will get ugly. We all know trump. How's he going to react when DeSantis tries to take his voters away?
He doesn’t need the Trumpers to win the nomination. The Trumpers will vote Republican assuming Trump doesn’t run independent which is probably a very real threat that would keep the presidency in the hands of the puppeteers running the White House now.

Did you not comprehend any word I just said? Trump would have never received the nomination in 2016 had the GOP chosen 1 person to run against him. He has strong support, but not close to the majority of the party.

The Dems learned from this and had everyone drop out except Biden when Bernie had early success.
Jeb Bush was supposed to be the guy but it was too soon after his brother was out of office. Additionally a buttoned down Republican has a hard time combating a bombastic Trump. Cruz, Rubio, and Desantis may be the exception

He doesn’t need the Trumpers to win the nomination. The Trumpers will vote Republican assuming Trump doesn’t run independent which is probably a very real threat that would keep the presidency in the hands of the puppeteers running the White House now.
"He doesn't need the trumpers to win the nomination."

Not sure how that works.

Reactions: BNIBoiler
Instead of just saying Joe Biden sucks because there is high inflation, wouldn't it be nice to come on a board and have people discuss why there is global inflation and debate which of Biden's policies have contributed to the inflation and what policies or actions could he take now to combat it?

Posters could share ideas based on articles or studies. Others could challenge those views and counter with their own evidence based ideas.
This has been tried and is impossible to do with liberals, especially on this site. Many times they have been backed in a corner and either go and hide, scream racist or just deflect constantly because they have no answers.

Reactions: bonefish1
Great post.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a discussion board were discussion threads focused on particular topics. Posters could debate their evidence based positions and maybe everyone on the board would have a clearer understanding of the topic.

Wouldn't that be something on a website that is primarily visited by alumni from one of the greatest universities in the world?
I'll start.
There is Global inflation because we now have an energy supply demand crisis.
Biden, immediately after taking office, wrote executive orders that crippled the US fossil fuel industry.
In doing so he increased the cost of ALL goods in the US, he made Europe dependent on Russian NG and Oil.
The needless Government spending for the Green Energy Revolution has also deflated the Dollar.

Biden's open border policy has resulted inclose to 2 million ILLEGAL immigrants entering this Country.
They human traffic and traffic of Opium from China is a crisis. Opiod over doses have killed many young people in this country needlessly. Communites are forced to support these Illegals with free medical care, food, housing, transportation and education.

The defund the Police movement, initiated by the BLM agenda and suppported by the Democrats, has lead to a signiicant increase in crime.
The Democrats are just now realizing this and changing course.

Abortion was never considered by the writers of the Constitution. The initial SCOTUS decision was controversial and debated by even the liberal RBG. It was overturned and given to the States to determine.

The 1-6 hearings are a one sided joke. There is no cross examination of winesses allowed, a given right in our Judicial System and no witnesses have been called upon that have expressed willingness to testify, under oath to the contridictions of testimony presented thus far.
Nancy Pelosi should testify and explain why she refused Trump's offer of 15,000 National Guardsman to protect the WH in case the Protestors got out of hand. Trump is being accussed of planning an insurrction and yet was willing to protect the WH with National Troops. Trooops Pelosi would have command of.

Reactions: Chris P Bacon

Good post. I think a lot of us are probably more moderate than we might portray on this board.
Because Trumpers make up like 20%-30% of the party. If DeSantis and Trump run against each other DeSantis gets 70%-80% of the vote. You are wrong if you think the majority of Republicans are Trumpers.

Trump could have easily won in 2020 if he had smoothed his edges, swallowed some pride and make a few consiliatory speeches that would have brought more moderates to his side.
But, I don't think that's possible. What made him great was also his downfall. Similar to Bobby Knight, he wasn't going to change his personality. He had an "I don't give a f*ck" attitude and that just rubbed too many people the wrong way.

Because Trumpers make up like 20%-30% of the party. If DeSantis and Trump run against each other DeSantis gets 70%-80% of the vote. You are wrong if you think the majority of Republicans are Trumpers.
I guess it depends on your definition of trumpers. If you're talking about the hardcore, "no way in hell I'm going to vote for anybody but trump" type your percentages are probably in the ballpark. But you're assuming everybody but them moves to DeSantis. Still 2+ years away, lots can happen. I don't see how anybody moves toward voting for trump that isn't already there, especially considering the possible litigation problems and the effect of the 1/6 investigation.

DeSantis is trending up and trump down. Wouldn't surprise me at all that DeSantis wins given what we know now......but winning by 40 or 50 % is a stretch for me.

I guess it depends on your definition of trumpers. If you're talking about the hardcore, "no way in hell I'm going to vote for anybody but trump" type your percentages are probably in the ballpark. But you're assuming everybody but them moves to DeSantis. Still 2+ years away, lots can happen. I don't see how anybody moves toward voting for trump that isn't already there, especially considering the possible litigation problems and the effect of the 1/6 investigation.

DeSantis is trending up and trump down. Wouldn't surprise me at all that DeSantis wins given what we know now......but winning by 40 or 50 % is a stretch for me.
My definition of Trumpers would be as you defined above.

I'll start.
There is Global inflation because we now have an energy supply demand crisis.
Biden, immediately after taking office, wrote executive orders that crippled the US fossil fuel industry.
In doing so he increased the cost of ALL goods in the US, he made Europe dependent on Russian NG and Oil.
The needless Government spending for the Green Energy Revolution has also deflated the Dollar.

Biden's open border policy has resulted inclose to 2 million ILLEGAL immigrants entering this Country.
They human traffic and traffic of Opium from China is a crisis. Opiod over doses have killed many young people in this country needlessly. Communites are forced to support these Illegals with free medical care, food, housing, transportation and education.

The defund the Police movement, initiated by the BLM agenda and suppported by the Democrats, has lead to a signiicant increase in crime.
The Democrats are just now realizing this and changing course.

Abortion was never considered by the writers of the Constitution. The initial SCOTUS decision was controversial and debated by even the liberal RBG. It was overturned and given to the States to determine.

The 1-6 hearings are a one sided joke. There is no cross examination of winesses allowed, a given right in our Judicial System and no witnesses have been called upon that have expressed willingness to testify, under oath to the contridictions of testimony presented thus far.
Nancy Pelosi should testify and explain why she refused Trump's offer of 15,000 National Guardsman to protect the WH in case the Protestors got out of hand. Trump is being accussed of planning an insurrction and yet was willing to protect the WH with National Troops. Trooops Pelosi would have command of.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. These assertions and half truths blame "the boogie man" and are not supported by anything. There isn't any research or support behind any of the assertions and there aren't any solutions even contemplated.

In the equivalence of one page, we have a poster believing they have made a serious effort to explain the cause of rising worldwide gas prices, worldwide inflation, crime, immigration, drugs, constitutional intent, and the responsibility for the insurrection.

How can you have a serious debate with someone who thinks complex issues like these are so simple?

This is exactly what I'm talking about. These assertions and half truths blame "the boogie man" and are not supported by anything.
Just like the Jan 6th "committee" then.

And then the rest of your post is just more hypocrisy we've come to expect from leftists. You don't really want a discussion on topics because you simply are not interested in hearing anything but sides that agree with you. That is why many have stopped even trying. Your response is just more evidence of it.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. These assertions and half truths blame "the boogie man" and are not supported by anything. There isn't any research or support behind any of the assertions and there aren't any solutions even contemplated.

In the equivalence of one page, we have a poster believing they have made a serious effort to explain the cause of rising worldwide gas prices, worldwide inflation, crime, immigration, drugs, constitutional intent, and the responsibility for the insurrection.

How can you have a serious debate with someone who thinks complex issues like these are so simple?
I thought you wanted a discussion on the issues?
Why hasn’t Nancy been called to testify, under oath, why she refused the NG? There are. numerous persons they can call on that verify Trump offered them. Have one of them testify, they already have gone public with that info.
Extreme Government spending and high energy costs don’t result in inflation??
Why did Europe push for the Russian pipe line when the US oil production slowed? Why did oil production slow after Biden enforced his executive orders?
Isn’t this the discussion you were looking for?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT