ADVERTISEMENT

Cubs on the cheap AGAIN

Really silly to say that Rizzo is currently better than anyone we have when we have Contreras, Schwindel, Happ and Suzuki and Hoerner/Madrigal as young bats that are still improving. You can argue that we should have paid Rizzo for services that he had already rendered. You can not argue that someone that is in such sharp decline is better than anyone we have.
Come on, you are the gullible fan that they love if you buy any of that.

They have failed to even come close on an extension with Contreras, the lone (and sole) remotely quality guy that they have, and, who they will trade in light of it rather than pay him what he is worth as well...they only still have him because they have not had to pay him yet.

Schwindel...really? I mean, I love the guy and the story, but, the notion that he is legitimately better than guys is just not true...the only reason he even plays is because he is on such an awful team, and, relative to said awful team, he is indeed "good"...but, the guy was not even playing...for the Royals!, or, the A's subsequently.

Happ is flat awful, unless he plays against the Reds, and, is a complete bust as a top-10 pick...the guy has no value to anyone but the Cubs...they could not even trade him.

Madrigal? Again, better than guys that the Cubs have (because they won't sign anyone), but, to suggest that he is actually/legitimately good is a stretch for sure...thus why the Sox could not have cared less about moving him...very limited player...again, better than guys that the Cubs have, but, that is because the Cubs are a minor-league team that they are trying to sell (and, in your case, successfully have) as a MLB team.

I would gladly take a broken down and overpaid Rizzo simply for what he did on the field and what he does off of it over any of them aside of Contreras, and, I fully expect him to be gone as soon as they feel like they can get something of value...or, maybe regardless of it even...as, if that were not the case, he would have already been re-signed...but, the Cubs don't believe in paying ANY of their players, so, the odds of that are about slim and none.

Shwindel would have been a good platoon player with Rizzo. Yeah, we’ll see if can keep it up along with Wisdom. Pitchers will adjust. This is the last chance for Happ. A lefty power bat is needed.

Need some pitchers to develop. That was a big reason for the downfall. We caught lightning in a bottle with Arrietta for a couple years to go with Lester. We traded Cease away to try and keep things afloat.
They don't have a single guy that they drafted that is even close to being a solid MLB impact guy, and, they have not developed anyone either.

They drafted a couple this past year that have talent and ability, but, given the poor track record with development, I am not holding my breath (well, other than that they are SO bad at the MLB level, somebody is bound to get there, whether they are actually capable/productive or not).

Shwindel would have been a good platoon player with Rizzo. Yeah, we’ll see if can keep it up along with Wisdom. Pitchers will adjust. This is the last chance for Happ. A lefty power bat is needed.
Happ's chances have come and gone...he is what he is...the world's worst switch hitter in that he can only hit (and, barely at that) from one-side, and, he has some pop...which is the only reason he is even still in the league.

Nice guy...but, he has shown time and again that he just can't produce with any consistency at the MLB level.

Like say, I love Schwindel and what he did as much as anyone, but, the guy was only playing because they had nobody else that could play...literally had nobody else on the roster that played first base...he was outstanding and a blast to watch, but, he would have played the same amount had he sucked like everyone else did/does. I can't see what he did as sustainable, but, in Chicago, he will absolutely have the chance to see, as, again, they have no other options.

Wisdom...tons of pop...again, fun to watch...but, not an every day guy (which is how/why the Cubs got him)...he is a glorified version of Bote.

THE CUBS DON"T CARE ABOUT WINNING...if they did, they would not have guys like Happ, Wisdom, Schwindel and Bote as part of their plan, never mind the focus of it! Again, those guys are all guys that are borderline MLB guys. The Cubs had legitimate MLB guys and traded or failed to re-sign every single one of them!

Happ's chances have come and gone...he is what he is...the world's worst switch hitter in that he can only hit (and, barely at that) from one-side, and, he has some pop...which is the only reason he is even still in the league.

Nice guy...but, he has shown time and again that he just can't produce with any consistency at the MLB level.

Like say, I love Schwindel and what he did as much as anyone, but, the guy was only playing because they had nobody else that could play...literally had nobody else on the roster that played first base...he was outstanding and a blast to watch, but, he would have played the same amount had he sucked like everyone else did/does. I can't see what he did as sustainable, but, in Chicago, he will absolutely have the chance to see, as, again, they have no other options.

Wisdom...tons of pop...again, fun to watch...but, not an every day guy (which is how/why the Cubs got him)...he is a glorified version of Bote.

THE CUBS DON"T CARE ABOUT WINNING...if they did, they would not have guys like Happ, Wisdom, Schwindel and Bote as part of their plan, never mind the focus of it! Again, those guys are all guys that are borderline MLB guys. The Cubs had legitimate MLB guys and traded or failed to re-sign every single one of them!
At least this Cubs regime HAS won. The current Colts regime is 5 years into a complete boondoggle, with no QB, no LT, and no #1 WR…

Schwindel you kidding me? He’s less than 3 years younger than rizzo and failed everywhere but he had a good 56 game run…

hoerner and madrigal have done nil they can’t stay healthy.

happ is the reason the cubs have struggled to score runs can’t make contact.

I’ll give you Willson but they ain’t signing him the signing of the backup was the writing on the wall which is too bad they could build around willson.

suzuki is unproven in the us.
BINGO...

Hoerner is a guy with no position, and, he can't stay healthy anyway...I like him and he has some talent, and, relative to most of the guys on the roster, he has a ton of talent, but, to act like he is some bona fide great player is not remotely accurate.

Madrigal...same story more or less, although he has a position at least (unfortunately, the same one as Hoerner basically).

Happ...already covered it elsewhere...more or less a bum...nice guy, but, can't hit...he has power (from one side of the plate), which is why he sticks, but, he can't hit, and, I will never for the life of me understand why he bats from both sides (notice, I did not say "hits" from both sides...as, he can't hit at all from the right side).

Love Contreras...but, they Cubs have not re-signed him, and, won't...as, they have not re-signed ANY player since the Ricketts' took over...EVERY core player was either traded or left via FA.

Suzuki...he is here simply because he was the cheapest FA option, and, because they can market him back home...it is a gimmick as much as anything else...ala Fukudoume.

At least this Cubs regime HAS won. The current Colts regime is 5 years into a complete boondoggle, with no QB, no LT, and no #1 WR…
Spot on...and, as such, completely ridiculous that said regime is still in place.

To be fair, this Cubs regime (if we include Theo as a part of it) won, but, it was because they were desperately trying to win when they got there...once they won, they stopped though.

They going to give a discount on tickets?
They said hey let us play more night games and we can increase revenue and pay for better team on field. Let us put more advertisements and dump wgn and move games to own network all to increase revenue for payroll. They charge a stupid amount for tickets to see a garbage team.

they are $50m under what is an acceptable payroll ($200m) at about $150m. You think they will “roll over” the savings haha. You might call that overpaying but they could have picked up or kept some short term difference makers that can be good mentors to their youth (ahem rizzo) and some young fielders to long contracts that would extend into the good years such as Corey Seager. Those two guys put us close to $200m.

they biggest mistake aside from letting their core walk was not getting Bryce Harper writing was on the wall then.
PUHLEASE regarding any discount on tickets...they have some of the highest prices in all of MLB...they now sell "the experience" rather than the product, as, the product sucks.

They have lied repeatedly about what they would do with the increased revenue...what they actually did with the increased revenue was buy up Wrigleyville so that they could make even MORE money, and, then bought (or are trying to buy) one of the world's biggest Soccer clubs...they didn't do crap with respect to actually winning games with it.

Just to get our minds off the game tonight and relax. Thought we could bitch about something else. I see the Cubs going on the cheap again, gonna be terrible with a low payroll and expecting fans to pay top dollar for tickets. BOYCOTT Wrigley Field and the Cubs network
Is there a more miserable combination of being a Cub and Boiler fan?

Cubs suck Cardinals rule :)
Cardinals have never had a real good player. They win because of something the owners have on MLB Management. They are always given special treatment:
1. They play 90 home games every year.
2. The same umpiring crew works every one of their games. (It is rumored that the umpires stay in the same hotels, and they fly with the team from game to game.)
3, Cardinals draw more walks per game than any other team.

Just say'in

Cardinals have never had a real good player. They win because of something the owners have on MLB Management. They are always given special treatment:
2. The same umpiring crew works every one of their games. (It is rumored that the umpires stay in the same hotels, and they fly with the team from game to game.)

Just say'in
And Cardinal management is smarter. Remember Lou Brock, Bruce Sutter, Lee Smith and Rick Sutcliffe?

OK. Now that folks have gone ahead and bad-mouthed the best franchise in sports outside of the Bronx -- the Cardinals have more world championships and Hall of Famers than everyone but the Yankees -- excuse me while I whip this out.

Harry Caray was born in St. Louis, grew up idolizing the Cardinals, begged his hometown heroes for a job, served as their voice for the first 25 years of his Hall of Fame career, established Cardinal Nation by being heard over KMOX in 48 states, caught foul pops with his fish net, covered games topless in the Busch Stadium bleachers, stripped to his shoes, socks and boxers, got hit by a car crossing a St. Louis street while intoxicated, got fired by Anheuser-Busch but still endorsed Bud, featured the No. 6 jersey of his all-time favorite player in his Chicago restaurant -- Stan “The Man” Musial -- and now he has a permanent booth bearing his image and name and a statue outside … Wrigley Field.

When a franchise has no tradition to speak of, it has to steal.

harry-caray9jpg.webp

https://www.si.com/.image/c_limit,cs_srgb,q_auto:good,w_435/MTY4MjU5MTQ1MTM5NjkzNDQx/harry-caray9jpg.webp

• Love
Reactions: BSIT
OK. Now that folks have gone ahead and bad-mouthed the best franchise in sports outside of the Bronx -- the Cardinals have more world championships and Hall of Famers than everyone but the Yankees -- excuse me while I whip this out.

Harry Caray was born in St. Louis, grew up idolizing the Cardinals, begged his hometown heroes for a job, served as their voice for the first 25 years of his Hall of Fame career, established Cardinal Nation by being heard over KMOX in 48 states, caught foul pops with his fish net, covered games topless in the Busch Stadium bleachers, stripped to his shoes, socks and boxers, got hit by a car crossing a St. Louis street while intoxicated, got fired by Anheuser-Busch but still endorsed Bud, featured the No. 6 jersey of his all-time favorite player in his Chicago restaurant -- Stan “The Man” Musial -- and now he has a permanent booth bearing his image and name and a statue outside … Wrigley Field.

When a franchise has no tradition to speak of, it has to steal.

harry-caray9jpg.webp

https://www.si.com/.image/c_limit,cs_srgb,q_auto:good,w_435/MTY4MjU5MTQ1MTM5NjkzNDQx/harry-caray9jpg.webp
Dang, you swung from the heels on that one lol. I always liked Caray with Cubs announcing. I’m a Reds fan though and didn’t know about his cardinals history

Reactions: Born Boiler
I'm a brewers, packers and bucks fan. I live a depressing life. the packers are kind of like Purdue. no matter how great their talent is, they will always find a way to choke away a championship.

Dang, you swung from the heels on that one lol. I always liked Caray with Cubs announcing. I’m a Reds fan though and didn’t know about his cardinals history

Harry’s wild Cardinal career was detailed in an 11-page feature in Sports Illustrated’s Oct. 7, 1968 issue, which had a Cardinal foldout for a cover and the No. 1 Purdue over No. 2 Notre Dame game story -- “Leroy on the Loose” -- one of the best games in Purdue history with a story to match. See the SI Vault … https://vault.si.com/vault/1968/10/07/leroy-on-the-loose

Is there a more miserable combination of being a Cub and Boiler fan?
With the absolute greatest of experience, there really is not...and, I passed it along to all 3 of my kids. I got it from Dad, but, have it exponentially more/worse admittedly...my kids all have it...they all are WAY ahead of the game though in that they all got to see and celebrate a Cubs World Championship...I never thought that I would and my Dad barely did. I would so love for Purdue to play for a National Championship while I am alive to see it...and, would so enjoy it with them. I miss watching games with my Dad...we just talked about it today...my kids will absolutely miss watching with me someday, as, it is both memorable, and, an experience.

• Love
Reactions: BSIT
What a whiff.

I thought this would be a lot more fun than it turned out.

Wol, just go get a fish fry and a beer this Friday. And make a toast to all of us that would like to but can't.

Probably.

As I was saying, no QB, no LT….
Traded for Ryan...I had speculated that was what they would likely do...I like him and think he could be a good fit...the issue remains that he is a short-term guy likely though.

Traded for Ryan...I had speculated that was what they would likely do...I like him and think he could be a good fit...the issue remains that he is a short-term guy likely though.

For a 3rd. That's not a bad deal for the Colts and buys a little time to get the long-term solution. AFC is LOADING up on QB's......wow.

Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Wilson
Hebert
Watson
Carr
Jackson
Ryan

Reactions: DAG10
Does Matt the Statue know we don’t have a left tackle ?

What a whiff.

I thought this would be a lot more fun than it turned out.

Wol, just go get a fish fry and a beer this Friday. And make a toast to all of us that would like to but can't.
Not sure what wasn't fun, and, served the purpose at least of taking my mind off of the game for a bit to chat about something else.

Reactions: TX4GB
Not sure what wasn't fun, and, served the purpose at least of taking my mind off of the game for a bit to chat about something else.
okay.

Word on the street is that Donald Trump wants to buy the Chicago Cubs and move them to the Philippines.

He wants to change their name to the Manilla Folders.

Some buzz about willson getting trade inquiries already. With Gomez the writing was on the wall.

Some buzz about willson getting trade inquiries already. With Gomez the writing was on the wall.
Without a doubt they will trade him...again, it is their model...it is what they do...the Cubs have not re-signed a single key FA since Ricketts' took the franchise over.

Contreras is on record...multiple times...as wanting to remain with the Cubs, but, they won't pay him, just like they would not pay anyone else that they had.

They will trade him, it is just a matter of at what point...they want to maximize the return, or, at least convince themselves that they did so.

he’s been red hot and is largely responsible for 2 or 3 of their wins.

Imagine how good they would be if they spent an additional $50m on their roster to at least match the white Sox. Imagine rizzo at first, bryant ar 3rd, and a real DH. Oh wait, that’s right they are rebuilding and will roll that savings into future years… having said that it’s only a matter of time when some of these bandaided players get injured again and they trade Contreras, Villar, and their bullpen.

Just say'in
What, are you crazy? They win because year in and year out they do a better job in the front office than the other NL Central teams.

Can't wait for the big Field of Dreams showdown...that will be a CLASSIC.

Both franchises should be ashamed, but, the Cubs way more so....the Reds have been clowning around for some time, and, don't have near the resources that the Cubs do...the OP has it spot on...the Cubs are a joke.

First time in some time that I did not even buy tix to a game in Wrigley...just no interest...literally, if I buy tix, it will be for the opponent. For years we have gone to games as a family, but, chose not to back in '13 or '14 when they were tanking and still charging ridiculous prices, and, same now...refuse to pay what they are charging to essentially watch a AAA (at best) team play against MLB competition.

Reds...no idea what the plan is there (as there does not seem to be one)...I guess the one thing to take some solace in with them is that they are stockpiling some young talent...they won't pay to retain them apparently when the time comes, but, they at least have that...the Cubs have nothing...cheap as can be, no farm system, no top prospects, no commitment at all to winning...an ownership that only cares about making as much money as possible (and, going about it in all the wrong ways).
The fans support the Cubs whether they win or not. Can’t say the same about the Reds. If I was a Reds fan I’d be furious. No clue what they are doing. As a Braves fan for close to 60 years I suffered through the 70’s and 80’s. Wasted Murph’s career. And then the 90’s. It can happen. Baseball needs some kind of salary cap to level the playing field. The Dodgers payroll is ridiculous.

Reactions: TX4GB and DAG10
The fans support the Cubs whether they win or not. Can’t say the same about the Reds. If I was a Reds fan I’d be furious. No clue what they are doing. As a Braves fan for close to 60 years I suffered through the 70’s and 80’s. Wasted Murph’s career. And then the 90’s. It can happen. Baseball needs some kind of salary cap to level the playing field. The Dodgers payroll is ridiculous.
Fans supporting the Cubs is a little misleading at least...I mean, they have a huge fanbase, but, they as an organization have done a horrible job in the last 20 years or so of maintaining and (more importantly) building that base. They don't have that luxury that they did for so long and that led to such a base with WGN...and, they alienated people further then with their own network. They have priced themselves out of the market for the average fan, never mind family. And, while for so many years nobody really cared that they were not trying to actually win, people do care now. So, they continue to draw fans certainly, as, it is an "event" to go to a game at Wrigley, but, that should not be mistaken for support of the organization.

Reds...a mess admittedly...they don't have the resources that the Cubs do, so, they get a small pass from that sense, but, they such organizationally as well and also are making no genuine effort to win.

Braves...there were dark years as you pointed out, but, they have had incredible and sustained success...still does not excuse them letting Freeman leave, which, is the primest of examples of what is wrong with baseball today.

The lack of any salary cap is making things even worse, and, that won't change unfortunately.

While it happened for/with the Braves, I don't see it happening for/with the Cubs or Reds due to the poor ownership in place for both....they care only about money and making as much of it as possible, with , no commitment to winning.

The lack of any salary cap is making things even worse, and, that won't change unfortunately.
I'd argue the lack of a salary floor is just as bad as no salary cap. Imagine if teams like the Pirate and Orioles actually tried to compete or at least field a respectable team.

You can look at the Astros and the Yankees (and even the Cubs!) as examples of when going all in for a short period of time has worked out in the long term. Eventually these big contracts will catch up to the Dodgers, especially if they keep trading away prospects

Reds problem is Phil Castellini (Bob's son) who is now running the reds. When Bob bought the team I think he was pretty honest in saying & committing to winning. 2012 team should have won the WS, just choked against the Giants (& losing Cueto to injury in the 1st game didn't help). Phil is a a joke and has no interest in winning. He's running the team like a business and is terrible for PR (as we've all seen). I'm also not a big fan of David Bell, so seeing him go also will be a good thing. The team needs to bring in a Barry Larkin or someone along those lines to run the team (GM or manager) & gain some faith back from the fan base.

I'd argue the lack of a salary floor is just as bad as no salary cap. Imagine if teams like the Pirate and Orioles actually tried to compete or at least field a respectable team.

You can look at the Astros and the Yankees (and even the Cubs!) as examples of when going all in for a short period of time has worked out in the long term. Eventually these big contracts will catch up to the Dodgers, especially if they keep trading away prospects
The Dodgers have not traded away prospects largely though...

To your point, yes, a salary floor is needed...specifically for teams like the Orioles and Pirates that you mentioned. As you said, they are not even making any effort to win...in part, because they have no chance to win in their respective divisions.

Yankees ALWAYS have and ALWAYS will be all in...Astros had a plan, and, unlike the Cubs, they continued to keep their window open by adding guys and/or spending money.

The Cubs never added guys to extend their window AND did not re-sign ANYONE (never mind any of the core guys).

Reactions: TX4GB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT