ADVERTISEMENT

Crossroads Classic Officially Dead After This Coming Season

Would be great for Indy, Purdue and Butler to start a tradition of playing on the Sat. before Christmas at historic Hinkle Fieldhouse. Call it the Hinkle-Keady Classic.

Purdue students would be gone for the holidays, but we have a lot of fans in Indy who would turn out. Split the tickets. Easy for the players then to get home for a few days.

Would be great for Indy, Purdue and Butler to start a tradition of playing on the Sat. before Christmas at historic Hinkle Fieldhouse. Call it the Hinkle-Keady Classic.

Purdue students would be gone for the holidays, but we have a lot of fans in Indy who would turn out. Split the tickets. Easy for the players then to get home for a few days.

I don’t get why we’d agree to play at their place every year…

Maybe a rotating event with a couple regional neighbors (Purdue/Butler and Xavier/West Virginia? Purdue/Butler and Missouri/Kansas State? Which would be fun with Painter, Zo and Bruce Weber all present, but might not be to Butler's liking). Rotate the site between Cincinnati and Indy or St. Louis and Indy.

Reactions: West James
My take on this one day tournament is that the schedule makes it sort of bad basketball. This has been on the first weekend following finals at Purdue. I don't care about the other participating schools. The Boilers have always been sluggish those first couple days after finals and their play suffers. Move the games to some time before finals or at least two weeks after and then we will see better play. I think that will bring back viewership and keep it alive.

Seems we need some kind of replacement, no?

Before the Crossroads, we used to have the Wooden Tradition in Indy every year. I'm not sure I would want to resurrect something like the Wooden.

Yes, we could almost certainly get better opponents now than we did back in the day (Southern Illinois; Davidson). But I don't think we're as desperate for visibility in the Indy market like we used to be. Circa 2006, we were trying to establish Matt Painter. In 2021, pretty much everybody who's anybody recognizes Painter as one of the best coaches in college basketball. Indy was once an IU town. But with Purdue's recent success and the large number of white-collar Purdue grads moving to the Indy burbs (plus Butler elevating themselves as a big-boy program), that's territory we're already fighting for without having to schedule a game there. And I'm not sure playing in front of a half-full Banker's Life did much for us in that regard anyway.

Give me more home-and-homes with other quality power conference opponents. Mackey is the best atmosphere in college basketball. It should see several quality non-conference games each year.

Because it is historic Hinkle, a very special place in hoops legends. We would split the tickets anyway.

And, good tune up for going on the road in the btn.

and the House that Mount built isn’t?
I’d be interested in playing them every year while rotating between Hinkle and Mackey. I’m not much interested in playing Butler inside Hinkle every year. We rarely get a fair game when we play in Indy.

I'm glad it's gone. Our fans never showed up as much as Hoosier fans, and so it's always a hostile crowd. Plus I just don't like the Fieldhouse for college games.

But I don't think we need to get another annual event going. Painter has established himself and has good enough relationships with other coaches to where we can probably continually schedule good Home-and-Homes with quality opponents year-in and year-out for the foreseeable future.

and the House that Mount built isn’t?
I’d be interested in playing them every year while rotating between Hinkle and Mackey. I’m not much interested in playing Butler inside Hinkle every year. We rarely get a fair game when we play in Indy.
Students would be gone in WL.

Pretty much everything we do should be to prepare for March. A tough road game does that, while allowing some Indy Purdue fans to come out .

Reactions: purduepat1969

Pretty much everything we do should be to prepare for March. A tough road game does that, while allowing some Indy Purdue fans to come out .
I’m not suggesting that whatever replaces this be on that same exact day

Reactions: Inspector100
1. Will I miss it? If we replace it with a home game against Coppin State, hell yes I'll miss it. If we do something fun and interesting with it instead then no. I wouldn't mind scheduling a neutral court series against Kentucky if they would play one of the games in Indy with another somewhere in Kentucky.

2. If IU wants to play on a national stage more often, they should try making the NCAA tournament.

I wouldn't mind seeing a home/away against ND. I know they want everything to be at their place, so how about we play the first game in Fort Wayne then the winner gets the home game to start the series.

Reactions: purduepat1969

I don't disagree, but the Crossroads is such a weird event that I wonder if it even really preps the team the same way a true road game would. We've beefed games at the CC to Butler/ND teams that were way inferior to ours.

Give me home-and-aways with solid P6 teams any day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT