ADVERTISEMENT

Colvin

I’m very surprised so many smart people on this board are more concerned about Colvin next year than this year. Have you forgotten we are trying to win a Natty THIS year? Have you also forgotten how desperately we need athletic, quick guards in the tourney? It’s been our Achilles heal. Right now our only guard getting consistent minutes off the bench is Morton. Our ONLY guard. We don’t need to kill teams by 30 in January (as much as I love it). What we need is to get Colvin as much experience as we can so he helps us get over the hump and kill teams this March. I really truly hope I’m wrong, but if Morton is the only guard Painter trusts off the bench when he shortens the rotation we are in for another world of hurt. You all know it too.

Strength is the number one issue for Loyer in my opinion. Needs to find the weight room , pretty obvious he hasn’t found it. Everyone should have his role , Loyer is a great offensive player - defense not good. Colvin great offensive player - defense not good. Colvin is the better athlete, Loyer better ballhandler
Loyer is also a much better passer and help defender.

I’m very surprised so many smart people on this board are more concerned about Colvin next year than this year. Have you forgotten we are trying to win a Natty THIS year? Have you also forgotten how desperately we need athletic, quick guards in the tourney? It’s been our Achilles heal. Right now our only guard getting consistent minutes off the bench is Morton. Our ONLY guard. We don’t need to kill teams by 30 in January (as much as I love it). What we need is to get Colvin as much experience as we can so he helps us get over the hump and kill teams this March. I really truly hope I’m wrong, but if Morton is the only guard Painter trusts off the bench when he shortens the rotation we are in for another world of hurt. You all know it too.
Still time to get him more minutes, I think tonight was a big game for him, we’ll see what happens.

I don't see the point of this. No, Colvin is not going to transfer. Not as long as his father is Rosie. There are only so many minutes. 200 in fact.

Painter had to answer this type of question in the postgame presser. The reporter (don't know who) brought up Colvin, and then asked Painter why he took him out after 9 minutes. He answered that he wanted to get the rest of the team some time because they help the team win every day in practice. You could read into it that Myles doesn't practice well. We don't really know that though so don't read this as me saying that. Painter finished the question with "Does that make sense?"

The last 10 minutes of this game were more about less minutes for Edey and Smith than it was more minutes for Colvin.

Last edited:
He said 100% Colvin is starting next year. My counter is if that's the case then neither Catchings or heide are starting. No way you can say 100% he is starting.
I think Catchings may start at the 4. I think it's possible that Harris takes Jones spot and Colvin and Heide back up those 2. Either that or decent mins at the 2, but Harris will play significant mins.

Unless Furst gets better hands there is no way he's starting over anyone... Berg might start over him... but I think Catchings is bigger than you think and a 4 not a 3..
Furst still looks like he's playing too fast. If he would slow down just a hair, he'd have more control. Love his hustle and he still has a lot of upside

That’s what we thought this year. 6 new players coming in looking for minutes. Loyer Smith Renn Furst already in rotation , add in Catchings and Heide will Painter give Colvin a chance

My buddies daughter sort of runs in the same circles with Gilles, supposedly he would love to play his Covid year, interesting scenario, so do you tell him he’s done here if he wants to play?
I suspect Matt helps him find a great fit somewhere. Notre Dame would not surprise me.

Yea, holy overreactions Batman lol. Kids a true Frosh playing for a top 5 team, heaven forbid he has to buy his time. Colvin likely is a starter next year, can’t believe people are bitching about this in a 32 point blowout, only 5 guys can play.
Not overreacting and not “bitching.”

I think it’s fair to ask the question when the team is up by 20+ points fairly late in the 2nd half, and Morton checks in for the second time while Colvin stayed on the bench at that time.

Was nice to see Colvin get some run shortly after that.

Reactions: rjmpu82
THANK YOU. This. All of this.

The time is NOW, and keeping a guy like Colvin—who can clearly help elevate this team’s ceiling in a way someone like Morton cannot—buried on the bench, just makes no sense.

Like you said, when you play the big boys come tourney time, the Morton’s of the world will not get you over the hump.

Have we not learned anything from the past? Hello?

And I don’t mean to rag on Morton, he has a lot of really important intangibles, he defends, and plays his ass off, but he can’t be getting twice as many minutes as Colvin.

Last edited:
If everyone on this board agreed 100% with your opinion on Colvin, it would not gain him a single minute of playing time and it would not have any impact on the outcome of Purdue's season.

My 2 cents is I get both sides of this.....

I also want Colvin to see more time this season. He is combustible on offense and could be Purdue's version of Dillingham off the bench. Purdue will need ALL weapons firing to make a run in March. Also, how can he improve defensively if he isn't learning during games? Michigan is terrible, but I thought he looked ok last night on that end.

On the other hand, Purdue is the number 1 offensive team in the country WITHOUT Colvin playing. They need improvement defensively and not turning the ball over. I don't know his TO numbers, but one area Morton has been very steady is handling pressure. Morton can actually dribble and the team needs a third ball handler in addition to Jones and Smith.

The only way to learn and get better is to play. It is not rocket science. It's a 30-point blow out. He should have gotten 15+ minutes this game and should be getting more of Morton's minutes.
We know what Morton will give in his 15 minutes. May a couple of points and a rebound max per game. Colvin is ceiling is much much higher and getting him minutes could help us finally beat a double seated team for once...
Ask any hall of fame coaches where the vast majority of improvement occurs. Hint; it’s not games.

If everyone on this board agreed 100% with your opinion on Colvin, it would not gain him a single minute of playing time and it would not have any impact on the outcome of Purdue's season.
I think we can all agree you maybe the least knowledgeable poster on here if you don't think getting Colvin playing better won't help us in March. You must being living under a rock the last few years.

He gone . Why stick around when you can’t see the floor in a first half blowout. Some team is going to get a really good player and we will keep losing in the tournament cause em we lack athleticism
lol Quit posting this in multiple threads. He’s not gone. His dad and him have a plan. DD played at Purdue, sister plays at Purdue and Myles does too. He will be a big contributor next year and will be a key one this year.

We are 10,000 miles from this being a Newman situation. He's a starter next year 100%
So smith Loyer Colvin catchings and TKR? Heide off the bench? Or are you sitting the kid who is shooting over 50% from 3 in conference and 43% on the year at high volume next year?

Reactions: Dryfly88
Strength is the number one issue for Loyer in my opinion. Needs to find the weight room , pretty obvious he hasn’t found it. Everyone should have his role , Loyer is a great offensive player - defense not good. Colvin great offensive player - defense not good. Colvin is the better athlete, Loyer better ballhandler
So you’re sitting the guy shooting 43% from 3 at high volume and 50% in conference?

Yes, Colvin is what you described and going to be great…I’ve said he has the most NBA potential in this group right now. But he’s not 10-15 min ready…yet. I do agree I think we need to give him 1-3 mins in first half and early second half so he can continue to get the feel of the speed and physicality of the game.

However, fletch is rollin on offense and there’s no way you get him off the stretch he’s in by playing him less mins.

The only way to learn and get better is to play. It is not rocket science. It's a 30-point blow out. He should have gotten 15+ minutes this game and should be getting more of Morton's minutes.
We know what Morton will give in his 15 minutes. May a couple of points and a rebound max per game. Colvin is ceiling is much much higher and getting him minutes could help us finally beat a double seated team for once...
For sure but who runs point with smith and Morton on the bench? Keep Lance in during a 30 pt blowout?

Sounds awfully definitive.
We need Mason to either be a walk on or since we are already over 1 on scholarships, would need 2 ppl to transfer for Mason to be back. Who would those two be?

And not sure about Catchings starting either…I think the talent is there but not sure painter will start him, at least not right away

The time is NOW, and keeping a guy like Colvin—who can clearly help elevate this team’s ceiling in a way someone like Morton cannot—buried on the bench, just makes no sense.

Like you said, when you play the big boys come tourney time, the Morton’s of the world will not get you other the hump.

And I don’t mean to rag on Morton, he has a lot of really important intangibles, he defends, and plays his ass off, but he can’t be getting twice as many minutes as Colvin.
Who plays point when Braden sits then? I am
not a big fan of Morton at all, but he has been the one running the 1 when smith goes out (which is minimal). Lance can, but I think that takes away from his slashing abilities and getting open looks. Myles is not at the level to run the team and that’s not his role. So, unfortunately that falls on Morton…

Did anyone notice Colvin appeared to say "give me the f****** ball" after he hit his first three?? My daughter brought it to my attention.
Yup and I loved it. Him and Lance aren’t scared of the moment and want the ball. They aren’t shy of shooting it and I love both of their DGAF attitude when it comes to shooting. They miss the last 7? They have amnesia and are confident that 8th one is going to go in.

We have been missing that type of mentality since Carsen left. With that said, let’s hope he starts to see a bit more mins down the stretch here.

Like you said, when you play the big boys come tourney time, the Morton’s of the world will not get you other the hump.

What I have seen this year, when we play the "big boys" I don't believe Colvin can play and Morton has showed he can help in spot minutes playing defense. I believe that is what Matt believes also. Colvin has shown he has a beautiful shot, but nothing else, except, he continually gets lost on defense and is a liability with ball in his hand.

I have to think that part of Painter's success is that kids buy in to his program. They are told up front that they will have to earn their playing time - no promises. TKR and Heide redshirted and others have slowly learned their roles through watching. The program seems to have gotten its riches by investing over the long haul without get rich quick schemes or buying junk bonds. I see Colvin simply maturing in the "process".

Only Painter knows why Colvin didn’t get in earlier and get more minutes. Probably a ton of factors.

What I did like, dude came in at the 34 minute market and knocked down 3 3s. He was ice cold sitting there for that long and just shot buckets. Kid can score and that mentality will pay off.

Next year’s starters are Smith Loyer Heide Catchings and Renn ? Pretty small lineup just don’t see it. Furst ,Renn , Catchings , Heide and Smith would be more like it
at this point, i like berg over furst. berg just seems to have a knack for getting rebounds and getting a score. furst seems to be having a with confidence

lol Quit posting this in multiple threads. He’s not gone. His dad and him have a plan. DD played at Purdue, sister plays at Purdue and Myles does too. He will be a big contributor next year and will be a key one this year.
Can you just elaborate on the bolded part? I really am curious what "key" role you think he is going to play this year? He is obviously not in the rotation (not even close) so what key role is he going to play this year?

Can you just elaborate on the bolded part? I really am curious what "key" role you think he is going to play this year? He is obviously not in the rotation (not even close) so what key role is he going to play this year?
Sorry should have said COULD be. I can edit if you’d like. Was typing too fast to this guys doom and gloom about Colvin 😂

he could be key if he gets more mins…but what’s more mins? In the rotation for 5-7 a night? He has the spot up shooting down, but I’m guessing he needs to put everything else together.

That dog won’t hunt ! Loyer is terrible on defense and Smith is only ok. If it’s about defense Morton should be playing over Loyer. And we all know Morton can’t start because of no offense. So come up with another reason Colvin doesn’t play
or you could learn hoops.

Newman treatment? Are you implying that Painter misused Newman? I've checked out his Western Kentucky play. He's playing a lot more against much lower competition, but isn't exactly tearing it up. 25 minutes a game, 10.5 ppg and shooting 30% from the 3. Pretty much Newman's Freshman year stats at PU.
Don't confuse the Newman boys with stupid things like facts.

Playing time distribution has always been a challenge for Coach.

Would be nice to see Smith, Loyer, Jones, and Edey play closer to

30 minutes a game so we can build more confidence and bench depth

during the season and for March.
agreed

When Colvin did not get in during the first half I thought, what Is going on, why can’t Colvin get in?? It has to be what Painter sees or does not see from Colvin in practice. I get that despite the nice three point shooting in garbage time last night Colvin has a long way to go on defense and the rest of his game. Last night there were no blow bys on Colvin but he seemed to be running around looking for someone to guard. Maybe he is not locked in on team defensive principles, switching etc?? I get that Colvin has not shown much more than a shooting touch . His defense is lacking and the rest of his game I hear about from high school really has not shown itself. It is not likely that his athleticism is going to save or upgrade Purdue for the tournament. But, his shooting could provide a boost here and there. It would be nice to see him get in with Edey on the court when the attention on Edey provides open looks. Also, take solace that Purdue got that athletic boost from Jones well beyond what anyone could have hoped for. Heide will get more time because of his defense and size. His year with the team last year gives him an advantage over Colvin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT