ADVERTISEMENT

Colvin and Heide

If are right, then the incoming recruits will not be as good as many believe, me included at least not right away. Maybe on the other hand Loyer improves a lot.
Could be both? I do expect Fletcher to get stronger and he already has a good understanding of offensive and defensive play. The freshmen will get minutes, but are still freshmen. It does seem like a good group.

Is that a counter to your argument you were making since you think Morton got too much playing time?
I’ve never been impressed with Morton. Even when he was coming out of high school.
So yes, any time was too much time when you could be giving those minutes to younger, better players to get them experience.

Yes, I'm comparing their player development. Shirley you aren't deflecting again. They are both taking the exact same approach. You say Izzo is right, when he sits a 5-star when his team is struggling. Painter is wrong when he sits a 4-star on a Top 3 team. Logic is not a strength for you.
Remind me again how many FFs Izzo has been to?

Could be both? I do expect Fletcher to get stronger and he already has a good understanding of offensive and defensive play. The freshmen will get minutes, but are still freshmen. It does seem like a good group.
I’m not sure Fletch will get much stronger. He has a slight build and doesn’t seem to have put much mass in the last 18+ months in the program.
Reminds me of Eric Hunter who despite 4 years in the program, was still skinny as a Sr.

Colvins shot is also way ahead of where Jaden’s was at this point in his career (Myles is still young for his class). Myles hasn’t shown the burst Jaden has/had but he may be a better leaper…I think he has more bounce already…and I believe he can be just as good, if not better. Has a ways to go obviously, but very excited for his growth for next year.

Something about Colvin's shot that looks more comfortable than Jaden's

I’m not sure Fletch will get much stronger. He has a slight build and doesn’t seem to have put much mass in the last 18+ months in the program.
Reminds me of Eric Hunter who despite 4 years in the program, was still skinny as a Sr.
yeah, may never see the strength physically in him. Do think he gets stronger finishing and a bit stronger overall, but it might not be noticeable in his body.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Colvin and Heide were magnificent today in their respective roles and as first-year players.....definitely demonstrated that the stage is not too big nor the spotlight too bright.....they will be needed in Detroit, as will Mason Gillis, who also seemed to break out a little.

All hands on deck effort needed for Friday.

JMHO

It is his shot that makes me believe he will be a better than Jaden while at Purdue

I would love for him to be a potent two-way player - has the tools. To your point on his shot - love his stroke, and he will be able to get his shots with that release and quickness. Been trying to watch him off the ball - he definitely appears more dialed in on both ends. Glad to see it pay off with some tangible results in a big win.

He also has that "microwave" ability in him as well, IMO.

I was very impressed with Colvin today! He has such a bright future.

Meanwhile, Heide is really using his athleticism effectively now.
There are some things that should stand out. Both have contributed recently in a positive manner. Cam has for a month plus now. Both are the most athletic players on Purdue's team and both are freshmen. It should be obvious that in spite of some tough times this season him returning should be obvious to those concerned earlier. Together they bring some athletic ability above and beyond many college players and lastly I don't think they were hurt at all the way Matt handled them with playing time

you don't have to get bulkier to get stronger. Agree he may not bulk up, but he will get stronger if he does the work.

you don't have to get bulkier to get stronger. Agree he may not bulk up, but he will get stronger if he does the work.
I agree, but an issue he has is his weight being light and gets bounced around as a result. Its like a lineman that presses 350 pounds but weighs 220 pounds. You only have to move 220 pounds to move him above friction and cleats and could do so being able to push 275 pounds, I think you both have points although Bone never really specified "weight" as much as strength

It is his shot that makes me believe he will be a better than Jaden while at Purdue
Granted, he had somewhat of a good game today offensively. But he was absolutely lost on the defensive end, not knowing who to guard. Multiple times other players had to tell him who to guard. I'll give him credit shooting the ball and three boards. TKR and Loyer were definitely the catalysts today.

Granted, he had somewhat of a good game today offensively. But he was absolutely lost on the defensive end, not knowing who to guard. Multiple times other players had to tell him who to guard. I'll give him credit shooting the ball and three boards. TKR and Loyer were definitely the catalysts today.

Dude what game do you watch? You are the ONLY ONE that will not admit Myles is good.

Yes. Making 5 out of 7 sweet sixteens is “success.”
If the Sweet 16 is the goal, then yes, he's been very successful. But one E8 (so far, and for the record, I think we have a great shot at the NC, in which case, everything changes) in his 20 years at Purdue is not.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
If the Sweet 16 is the goal, then yes, he's been very successful. But one E8 (so far, and for the record, I think we have a great shot at the NC, in which case, everything changes) in his 20 years at Purdue is not.
Making 5 out of the last 7 sweet sixteens is successful. Period.

Only idiots who would rather have Marcus Carr than Braden Smith would say otherwise.

Reactions: TC4THREE and pushal
I think Painter is using Morton now as less a Swiss Army Knife and more a highly specialized tool he can use against a specific type of player.

Morton would absolutely be effective against a guy like Gohlke. Not super quick, mostly a jump shooter, not prone to drive.

Where Painter was using him unsuccessfully in the past was against quicker players but of course back then we know Colvin was worse. I still think Heide was the best choice.

So I think we won't see much of Morton except at the end of a blowout or against a specific type of player who needs cooled down.
Agree, Morton will only be used for specific defensive assignments at this point. There's no need to get him minutes, he has plenty of experience and I'd assume Painter is confident that he'll be ready when / if he is needed.

I expect there will be a point where they need to throw bodies at an opponent's scorer and Ethan will play a role.

I think Heide will play a huge role on Friday guarding Watson at the three. That’s a tough matchup for Loyer or Jones.
Watson is a tough matchup. Assume it will be a committee approach with Jones on him to start and Heide and others taking turns. I don't recall who guarded him in the first matchup but I assume Few will be looking to exploit that matchup.

Agree, Morton will only be used for specific defensive assignments at this point. There's no need to get him minutes, he has plenty of experience and I'd assume Painter is confident that he'll be ready when / if he is needed.

I expect there will be a point where they need to throw bodies at an opponent's scorer and Ethan will play a role.
I was surprised he didn't get any play in the 1st game when the lefty guard was going off in the first half.
I told my wife then, the changing of the guard has occurred.

Reactions: northside100
Watson is a tough matchup. Assume it will be a committee approach with Jones on him to start and Heide and others taking turns. I don't recall who guarded him in the first matchup but I assume Few will be looking to exploit that matchup.
He played the 4 at the time so assuming it was some combination of TKR, Gillis, and Furst.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT