ADVERTISEMENT

Colvin and Heide

Not sure minute distribution in a game we won by 28 in a 1-16 matchup is indicative of much.
I would agree about the final 15 minutes but the first 25 or so minutes was very indicative IMO. I like Morton and Furst but it's pretty clear the coaching staff now thinks a 3 man rotation at the 4/5 (Edey/TKR/Gillis) and the upside of Heide and Colvin over Morton is best for the team's chances to go deep in the tourney.

Love the way that Heide played yesterday. One could make a case for starting him at this point, though I think that second man off the bench after Gillis is a good role for him. Wouldn’t shock me if he was a top 2 or 3 scorer on the team next season.

Earlier in the season, when Colvin was in the game the whole defense seemed out of sync. I don’t feel that way anymore which I’m sure is why he earned a spot in the rotation. I’ll given him credit for figuring it out. His talent is hard to miss.

Love the way that Heide played yesterday. One could make a case for starting him at this point, though I think that second man off the bench after Gillis is a good role for him. Wouldn’t shock me if he was a top 2 or 3 scorer on the team next season.

Earlier in the season, when Colvin was in the game the whole defense seemed out of sync. I don’t feel that way anymore which I’m sure is why he earned a spot in the rotation. I’ll given him credit for figuring it out. His talent is hard to miss.
I think Heide starts.(next year)
His size and rebounding are going to be needed without Zach in the middle.
I think it's 50/50 on Myles vs Fletch.
Whichever doesn't might be up for 6th man of the year. (Atta boy Mason)

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerAndy
Colvin playing the same defense he did earlier in this year.

It just took a couple big ten L’s with Morton rotations for him to finally change. Sadly those extra rotation minutes that should have went to Colvin would have helped the team now.

As much as Painter wanted to make Morton the defensive shutdown defender off the bench. Nothing screams shutdown defender when he enters the game. The collection of refs in the league were never going to give him that type of respect as such so it was just an awful move on his part to even be play Morton meaningful minutes as a key reserve at all this past year.

Morton should have been helping Cam and Colvin in practice to get better. Painter using games and film session to help each as well.
That first line is just, wow.
Colvin has improved significantly on defense. Regardless of whether or not Painter should have played him more or not, which is a fair argument as it is with Heide, saying he's playing the same defense as before is crazy wrong.

Other than fouling some behind the arc, Cam is who I like on D at this time. He can defend different types of players as needed

A team consists of 14 players. The fan favorite seems to be Martin but it looked like Edey was happiest when Barrett hit his 3. We have IMO 12 guys who can start for a division I team, and yet 2 (Waddell and Berg) only get garbage time. We have 2 players who started last year (Morton and Furst), and have had their minutes severely cut. Yet Furst made a nice assist and Morton had two blocks when they came in. I am very proud of all the players (and coaches) on this team and how they contribute the best they can.
Even two years ago they were starting. I remember Morton playing 20+ minutes in the 2nd round game against Texas in 2022. Show how much talent we have.

I thought Heide played well today. Colvin...one missed dunk led to an opposing dunk and two easy points. I simply don't understand why some think he's so valuable and so good when he's playing. Can you give me an example of Colvin's "skills". He might have had an assist or two, but no points, no rebounds, no steals. So happy for the win, and sending them on.
Colvin had two rebounds which is more than he had all year.

Even two years ago they were starting. I remember Morton playing 20+ minutes in the 2nd round game against Texas in 2022. Show how much talent we have.
I thought Jenkins was a good pickupfor us last year. I figured he was a good influence for Smith and Loyer and wouldprovide instant offense, coming in for a few minutes off the bench. I don't like putting down any Purdue player, but early on I was disappointed that Jones was starting. I was hoping Heide will take on the tough guy approach like Gillis and play PF and Colvin would play SF. This shows everyone how little I know about BB. TKR had his best game of the year. I loved his dunk. And Jones has been a delight. Great D, and a real love for the game that is infectious for his teammates. And one guy who has been overlooked is Loyer. He always seems to shoot well and play well in big games, and he made two important plays on the defensive boards.

Oh, and I see I did not mention Edey, but he did okay.

Reactions: Schnelk
You crack me up.
What I do remember is a coach with a plan.
That he stuck to.
He demanded the new guys play D to see the floor.
And never wavered
So they sat.
Until it sunk it that playing hard was the only way they were going to see the floor.
And they started to play smarter.
And started to sniff the floor.
Culminating in both of them coming off the bench at the end of season tournament much earlier than they have all season.
Why it's ALMOST like the coach had a plan the whole time.
hehe indeed.
CMP playing chess!

Loving their minutes! They bring a combination of athleticism and skill others can’t, and just give Purdue an added layer + element.

Remember when those calling for them to play more minutes were getting mocked on this board… hehe
Anyone that suggests anything or indicates so.ething may be more or less effective or basically does anything that isnt praising the status quo get mocked here. The cultists are very serious about not breaking those rules. Then when something IS changed and it works, they act like they knew it all along.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
That first line is just, wow.
Colvin has improved significantly on defense. Regardless of whether or not Painter should have played him more or not, which is a fair argument as it is with Heide, saying he's playing the same defense as before is crazy wrong.
But why would Painter give Morton all that time during the regular season and then decide not to play him in the tourney? That time could have gone to Colvin to get him more experience so he’s ready in March.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
But why would Painter give Morton all that time during the regular season and then decide not to play him in the tourney? That time could have gone to Colvin to get him more experience so he’s ready in March.
Probably because Colvin has improved his defense significantly.

Painter just isn't a coach that throws his players out there to figure it out. He rewards you with playing time when you've earned it.

Now, does that mean you might miss out a tiny bit on a player who might do better in games than practice? Sure, it's a trade off.

I have no problem criticizing Painter as everyone knows, but I mean not playing a frosh who was playing defense as bad as he was to start the season is a call the vast majority of coaches would make.

Now playing Morton as much time as he did? That's a bit less defensible. Morton does well defensively against a certain type of player and I think it's fair to say if nothing else, he won us one game this season by shutting down a player. But overall, yeah, I'd have played Heide a lot more than Morton. Similar defense, way better offense.

That’s the thing. Do people on here really think this was Painter’s plan all along? To “save” Heide and Colvin until March?

The Painter cultists never fail to make me chuckle.

Anyone that suggests anything or indicates so.ething may be more or less effective or basically does anything that isnt praising the status quo get mocked here. The cultists are very serious about not breaking those rules. Then when something IS changed and it works, they act like they knew it all along.
Not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that Myles has always been ready to play? You do realize that Cam is also getting more minutes than early in the year. Not sure I understand what you wish to express

Because Colvin struggled defensively and struggled with the offensive game plan. Is this really that hard to understand?

That’s the thing. Do people on here really think this was Painter’s plan all along? To “save” Heide and Colvin until March?

I don't think he was ready, but there is something to timing things for peak performance. Ideally a coach would hold back a team a bit, but not enough to lose until it was time after struggling against things to turn them loose a bit IF that option can play out. I said months ago that I didn't want him to peak until March so that he is a lift to the team, less scouting on him and somewhat unknown to prepare for. Now, Matt held him back to have him meet Matt's expectations (and the other players), but assuming Purdue was capable of winning through the season I'm sure Matt would like that peak in March and not December or January. It keeps players hungry and with a long season it adds a bit of freshness to the team. You can see Cam the first off the bench, whereas he never got the minutes as early most of the season.

The last thing you want IMO is to shoot your wad being the best you can be too early without anything to add later in the season. That said...again I think Myles has played as a result of better practice and more trust, but notice his minutes didn't gradually increase like Cam. He wasn't playing and then all of a sudden getting minutes in the first half and second more than all the minutes the previous month or so.

Colvin playing the same defense he did earlier in this year.

It just took a couple big ten L’s with Morton rotations for him to finally change. Sadly those extra rotation minutes that should have went to Colvin would have helped the team now.

As much as Painter wanted to make Morton the defensive shutdown defender off the bench. Nothing screams shutdown defender when he enters the game. The collection of refs in the league were never going to give him that type of respect as such so it was just an awful move on his part to even be play Morton meaningful minutes as a key reserve at all this past year.

Morton should have been helping Cam and Colvin in practice to get better. Painter using games and film session to help each as well.

He is moving better off ball and getting to different defensive positions as the rest of the team moves defensively as a unit. He’s not ball watching like he was before. Seems like painter wanted to bring him along and get better in this department…as he didn’t have to play defense as much at HC and in the AAU circuit. But he’s come a long way and looked good last night and also looked comfortable. Hope he continues to give good minutes!

I mean cultists and criticize everything Painter does, potato potato.

I mean Heide and Colvin weren't even treated the same way. One got a lot more playing time in season than the other.

Now why is that? You know why. Defense. Heide was better at defense than Colvin.

Heide's offense has actually gotten better and Colvin's defense has gotten better and both are playing more now.

Morton hasn't improved at anything, got passed by, and now he's end of the bench now. None of this is surprising.

Would I have played Heide more than Morton? Yep. Think Painter was wrong there. Would I have played first half of the season Colvin? Only in games where we were comfortably ahead, and I'd be clear to him he plays more when his defense improves.

His defense has significantly improved which is 100 percent a credit to him, to his work ethic and to his maturity.

I mean cultists and criticize everything Painter does, potato potato.

I mean Heide and Colvin weren't even treated the same way. One got a lot more playing time in season than the other.

Now why is that? You know why. Defense. Heide was better at defense than Colvin.

Heide's offense has actually gotten better and Colvin's defense has gotten better and both are playing more now.

Morton hasn't improved at anything, got passed by, and now he's end of the bench now. None of this is surprising.

Would I have played Heide more than Morton? Yep. Think Painter was wrong there. Would I have played first half of the season Colvin? Only in games where we were comfortably ahead, and I'd be clear to him he plays more when his defense improves.

His defense has significantly improved which is 100 percent a credit to him, to his work ethic and to his maturity.
Colvin offense is better too. I would submit it was good yesterday despite the ill advised quick three and missed dunk. He participated in the offense, passed the ball. Passed to the post. Three assists. Now not just a shot hunter playing poor defense. If you want to play early with Zach in the game you have to feed the post sometimes. That’s a skill to learn with all those little people hanging all over Zach.

Colvin offense is better too. I would submit it was good yesterday despite the ill advised quick three and missed dunk. He participated in the offense, passed the ball. Passed to the post. Three assists. Now not just a shot hunter playing poor defense. If you want to play early with Zach in the game you have to feed the post sometimes. That’s a skill to learn with all those little people hanging all over Zach.
Agreed. The dunks (even the missed ones), aggressive blocks, and fearless three-point shots are all characteristic of a highly energetic and athletic player. It's just a matter of time before he puts it all together. And he's beginning to do these things within the flow of the offense.

Remember how raw Ivey was as a freshman? That kind of intensity and athleticism just can't be taught.

Because Colvin struggled defensively and struggled with the offensive game plan. Is this really that hard to understand?
It is knowing that you should be getting a player with a high ceiling a lot of playing time, let him work through his mistakes, learn in game situations so that he’s suddenly not thrust into a major role during the tourney.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
Agreed. The dunks (even the missed ones), aggressive blocks, and fearless three-point shots are all characteristic of a highly energetic and athletic player. It's just a matter of time before he puts it all together. And he's beginning to do these things within the flow of the offense.

Remember how raw Ivey was as a freshman? That kind of intensity and athleticism just can't be taught.
I hope he is a better college player than Jaden. I’m unsure he has more potential than Booker at MSU and yet we saw Izzo have him on the bench for a while. Any chance that Matt was thinking similar to Izzo which is different than a lot of fans or did both make the same mistake?

Reactions: Old Gold n Black
I would agree about the final 15 minutes but the first 25 or so minutes was very indicative IMO. I like Morton and Furst but it's pretty clear the coaching staff now thinks a 3 man rotation at the 4/5 (Edey/TKR/Gillis) and the upside of Heide and Colvin over Morton is best for the team's chances to go deep in the tourney.
It shows they think it was what's best to beat Grambling.

It is knowing that you should be getting a player with a high ceiling a lot of playing time, let him work through his mistakes, learn in game situations so that he’s suddenly not thrust into a major role during the tourney.
Painter’s philosophy is that it is better to make him earn it and one could argue that he has gotten the results he wanted by doing so.

I think of it as the Jaden Ivey / Trevion Williams effect. Both great players but neither were really detail or defense guys and part of that was because they never have to be. It's hard to get guys to really buy into doing the little things if they're getting playing time regardless. Others can disagree but I know that Matt believes that getting guys to do thing the right way is worth more than the added game experience.

Why did Izzo wait so long to start 5-STAR Booker on a team that was struggling for wins?

Because like Painter, he's a horrible coach, right? Oh, wait. You like Izzo.

I think of it as the Jaden Ivey / Trevion Williams effect. Both great players but neither were really detail or defense guys and part of that was because they never have to be. It's hard to get guys to really buy into doing the little things if they're getting playing time regardless. Others can disagree but I know that Matt believes that getting guys to do thing the right way is worth more than the added game experience.
Easier to do when you have more competition, which is where Purdue is now

Reactions: northside100

No one is defending Painter. Was the OP intended to be a criticism of Painter? That wasn't obvious. What is obvious is that people are providing explanations about Colvin's playing time. You may not like it, but it is the way it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT