ADVERTISEMENT

Colvin and Heide

He played the 4 at the time so assuming it was some combination of TKR, Gillis, and Furst.
I don't know how their combinations shake out during games but Ike starts at center along with Gregg (6'10", moved into the starting lineup mid-January), Watson and the two guards.

Ike and Gregg both play about 24mpg Watson at 31mpg, so you're right, he likely slides over to the 4 at times, which mean that our 4's would likely guard him at that point.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I don't know how their combinations shake out during games but Ike starts at center along with Gregg (6'10", moved into the starting lineup mid-January), Watson and the two guards.

Ike and Gregg both play about 24mpg Watson at 31mpg, so you're right, he likely slides over to the 4 at times, which mean that our 4's would likely guard him at that point.
But with Gregg in the game, Watson will be at the 3 so like you said, I’m sure they’ll try to use his height differential vs lance to their advantage.

Who will fletch guard in this situation? Hickman?

Reactions: northside100
If the Sweet 16 is the goal, then yes, he's been very successful. But one E8 (so far, and for the record, I think we have a great shot at the NC, in which case, everything changes) in his 20 years at Purdue is not.
Your $1 million contribution to the NIL would change everything. If you didn't welch.

• Haha
Reactions: bonefish1
1. Smith
2. Loyer
3. Heidi
4. TKR
5. Berg
I think starters are;
1. Smith
2. Loyer
3. Heidi / Colvin (trade off)
4. Catchings
5. TKR

I don’t see Berg as a starter next year but a backup to the 5. Perhaps he was a huge off season? Or perhaps he just hast had the stage to show his talent.

Rest assured, if Bone was a Zags fan he would be whining about Few not winning a natty…
I mean, most of us would be pining for a NC at Gonzaga, just like we're all wanting a FF / NC at Purdue.

I agree that minimizing Purdue's success under Painter because he hasn't reached a FF is ridiculous but the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. You can recognize that MP has been extraordinarily successful in building the program while recognizing that his tournament performance has been disappointing.

I think starters are;
1. Smith
2. Loyer
3. Heidi / Colvin (trade off)
4. Catchings
5. TKR

I don’t see Berg as a starter next year but a backup to the 5. Perhaps he was a huge off season? Or perhaps he just hast had the stage to show his talent.
You raise the right questions (IMO). I'd expect Smith, Loyer and Trey to be locks to start. Cam and Myles have the inside track to start at the 3 and I'm not sure it matters who starts.

The 4/5 (whatever slot is open next to Trey) seems wide open. It could be Catchings or Berg but I think Caleb will have the first crack at it and I wouldn't write off either of the two freshmen big men.

I mean, most of us would be pining for a NC at Gonzaga, just like we're all wanting a FF / NC at Purdue.

I agree that minimizing Purdue's success under Painter because he hasn't reached a FF is ridiculous but the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. You can recognize that MP has been extraordinarily successful in building the program while recognizing that his tournament performance has been disappointing.
There’s a huge difference between “pining for an NC/FF” and: throwing a huge internet tantrum, demanding the coach be fired, and rooting for recruits to decommit, when some 18-22 year olds have a bad 40 minutes.

And again, how many programs would say making 5 of the last 7 sweet sixteens is “unsuccessful” or “disappointing” ?

I mean, we’re not Duke or Kansas…

This is where I'm at. And he has plenty of time left to change the narrative on his tournament performance starting now. He's only 53. And based on the way's he been recruiting it appears he's adjusting to be more uptempo and athletic. I think the next 10 to 15 years of Boiler Ball is going to be very special.

I remember North Carolina fans being very critical of Dean Smith. More than 20 years as head coach and multiple FFs, but no National Championships. He finally won it, then another about 10 years later.

There’s a huge difference between “pining for an NC/FF” and: throwing a huge internet tantrum, demanding the coach be fired, and rooting for recruits to decommit, when some 18-22 year olds have a bad 40 minutes.

And again, how many programs would say making 5 of the last 7 sweet sixteens is “unsuccessful” or “disappointing” ?

I'm not defending your buddy Bone ;) If Painter never wins a NC or makes a FF Purdue will still be a success story that many, many, mid tier P5 programs only dream of.

It has been a bit of Catch-22 for Painter. There is no real change of losing to a double-digit seed if you are a low seed. A successful regular season leads to a high seed, which creates the possibility of losing to low seed. However, to consider this season a success, we need a trip to the FF.

Granted, he had somewhat of a good game today offensively. But he was absolutely lost on the defensive end, not knowing who to guard. Multiple times other players had to tell him who to guard. I'll give him credit shooting the ball and three boards. TKR and Loyer were definitely the catalysts today.
There was some switching going on where he was looking to see who was picking up who and never had anyone for a second or so, but he did recover without damage. Sometimes he was involved towards the baseline and then had to rotate towards the top opposite side. In trying to stop penetration, lower fatigue and/or just helping out switching as you know can lead to issues with rotations, defending the wrong players in the wrong spots of the court. There are so many times I see a smaller player on a big inside for a couple of seconds until they can switch back that I'm surprised it hasn't bit Purdue more often than it has. In those situations we don't know if it was just the speed of the game, lack of communication or what ,but do expect that to get better.

Just look at the body language of Myles tho!!! Can’t be good right?!? 😂

GJhOy6vXYAA-QnK

Reactions: BoilerAndy
It has been a bit of Catch-22 for Painter. There is no real change of losing to a double-digit seed if you are a low seed. A successful regular season leads to a high seed, which creates the possibility of losing to low seed. However, to consider this season a success, we need a trip to the FF.
FF or bust is a high bar for determining a successful season but I understand that to many fans that's all that matters at this point.

In terms of measuring NCAAT success this year I agree that the FF is the minimum bar for success.

Rest assured, if Bone was a Zags fan he would be whining about Few not winning a natty…
Don't hurt yourself thumping your chest about another S16 appearance. If Purdue would somehow lose this game to Gonzaga, it would only solidify the widely held opinion of Painters inability to advance in March.

You don't seem to have the ability to understand context.
For example, a S16 appearance by an 11 seed like NC State is very worthy of celebrating. A S16 appearance by a 1-3 seed should be a minimum expectation. And when you lose to a much lower seed in that S16 game, it's even more disappointing.
Not getting past the S16 is what's unsuccessful and disappointing, not getting there.

Don't hurt yourself thumping your chest about another S16 appearance. If Purdue would somehow lose this game to Gonzaga, it would only solidify the widely held opinion of Painters inability to advance in March.
Two questions Bone...

How many teams start the season in D1 expecting to win it all?
How many teams are in the Sweet 16?

Personally, I like PU playing in Detroit because they have ghosts of the past to bury.

I'm not defending your buddy Bone ;) If Painter never wins a NC or makes a FF Purdue will still be a success story that many, many, mid tier P5 programs only dream of.
Is Purdue considered a mid-tier P5 program?
Top 25 program? Top 15?

You don't seem to have the ability to understand context.
For example, a S16 appearance by an 11 seed like NC State is very worthy of celebrating. A S16 appearance by a 1-3 seed should be a minimum expectation. And when you lose to a much lower seed in that S16 game, it's even more disappointing.
Not getting past the S16 is what's unsuccessful and disappointing, not getting there.
So by your reasoning, if we lose Friday, then Northwestern and MSU had better NCAA tournament performances than Purdue because they lost to higher seeds, even though Purdue made it farther ?

Two questions Bone...

How many teams start the season in D1 expecting to win it all?
How many teams are in the Sweet 16?

Personally, I like PU playing in Detroit because they have ghosts of the past to bury.
I would say that there are 8-10 teams a year that put "Final Four" on the chalk board at the first goal at the first practice of the year. (and have a realistic shot of that happening).
I'd say the schools that probably do it every year are UK, KU, UNC, Duke, MSU, maybe a few others.
Does Purdue? I'm not sure.

So by your reasoning, if we lose Friday, then Northwestern and MSU had better NCAA tournament performances than Purdue because they lost to higher seeds, even though Purdue made it farther ?
WTH are you rambling about?
No, that's not my reasoning at all.
I would say that for a team that spent the entire season in the top 4 and beat the Zags already, losing to them in the S16 would be considered a bad tourney by objective people.

I would say that there are 8-10 teams a year that put "Final Four" on the chalk board at the first goal at the first practice of the year. (and have a realistic shot of that happening).
I'd say the schools that probably do it every year are UK, KU, UNC, Duke, MSU, maybe a few others.
Does Purdue? I'm not sure.
Add to that Tenn., UConn, Houston, Gonzaga, and a lot of others that you fail to mention, including Purdue. I'd guess that even IU puts it on the initial goal list.

Add to that Tenn., UConn, Houston, Gonzaga, and a lot of others that you fail to mention, including Purdue. I'd guess that even IU puts it on the initial goal list.
agree on UCon and Zags. Do you think Painter has that as the top priority or does he put winning the B10 as the first goal?

WTH are you rambling about?
No, that's not my reasoning at all.
I would say that for a team that spent the entire season in the top 4 and beat the Zags already, losing to them in the S16 would be considered a bad tourney by objective people.
I’ll spell it out for you, son: the seed is irrelevant to the performance in the tournament.

Making 5 out of the last 7 sweet sixteens is “tourney success” that only one other coach has achieved. None of your internet tantrums will change that, even if we lose Friday.

Almost 0 chance Berg is a starter next year. Honestly wouldn't be shocked if he goes elsewhere for a chance at more PT. He got his experience battling Zach but this will be a different style team next year.
Why would this be a different style team? If it's not broken don't fix it. Purdue is an inside out team with a traditional center. Berg has experience learning from Edey. He'll have another off-season to develop and improve.

I expect this to be the rotation at the beginning of the season before Painter narrows it down

1. Smith - Cox/Harris
2. Loyer - Benter
3. Heidi - Colvin
4. TKR - Catchings
5. Berg - Jacobson/Furst

Why would this be a different style team? If it's not broken don't fix it. Purdue is an inside out team with a traditional center. Berg has experience learning from Edey. He'll have another off-season to develop and improve.

I expect this to be the rotation at the beginning of the season before Painter narrows it down

1. Smith - Cox/Harris
2. Loyer - Benter
3. Heidi - Colvin
4. TKR - Catchings
5. Berg - Jacobson/Furst
Love your lineup. And for those who don't see Berg in the starting five, watch how well he runs the floor and that benefits a faster offense. I see Furst playing a lot more next season if he comes back.

1. Smith - Cox/Harris
2. Loyer - Benter
3. Heidi - Colvin
4. TKR - Catchings
5. Berg - Jacobson/Furst
The difference with Berg is that he reportedly came in being able to shoot from outside. With his size, his dad sent him to Purdue to learn to dominate inside. He won't be Edey inside, but if he can be strong inside and step out and shoot, Painter will let him. Purdue fans will be happy.

1. Smith - Cox/Harris
2. Loyer - Benter
3. Heidi - Colvin
4. TKR - Catchings
5. Berg - Jacobson/Furst
Because it's not 1992, and Berg isn't Edey, and it would be bananas to play through what might be your 10th best player because muh big man?

I think Heide will play a huge role on Friday guarding Watson at the three. That’s a tough matchup for Loyer or Jones.

So we have added Colvin and Heide to the rotation since the last time we played Gonzaga, is there any players that Gonzaga has added, does anyone know how they have improved?

Because it's not 1992, and Berg isn't Edey, and it would be bananas to play through what might be your 10th best player because muh big man?
You need to give playing time for big men to develop which is what Edey received. Purdue's style of play featuring a big man is how the team achieved the success it has.
Painter isn't changing anything, he's bringing in 7'3 center Jacobson next season.
Berg was also injured in the off-season which delayed his development.

I’ll spell it out for you, son: the seed is irrelevant to the performance in the tournament.

Making 5 out of the last 7 sweet sixteens is “tourney success” that only one other coach has achieved. None of your internet tantrums will change that, even if we lose Friday.
Do you think Painter would say that losing in the S16 as a No1 seed is a successful tourney run?
We get it: you don't care about the tourney and any wins there are just gravy. That's OK to feel that way, but that doesn't change the perception nationally of the Purdue program (or Painter in March).

Reactions: BoilerDeac
This is where I'm at. And he has plenty of time left to change the narrative on his tournament performance starting now. He's only 53. And based on the way's he been recruiting it appears he's adjusting to be more uptempo and athletic. I think the next 10 to 15 years of Boiler Ball is going to be very special.
There's not as much time as you think. You never know when you will or will not get back to this place. Every year is different. The time is only, and always has been, now.

You really don't handle your emotions and people who disagree with you very well, do you?

Saying things like "I'll spell it out for you" is pretty childish and petty. Why stoop to that level? It only hurts yourself.

So we have added Colvin and Heide to the rotation since the last time we played Gonzaga, is there any players that Gonzaga has added, does anyone know how they have improved?

As Painter has put it - they've gone a little bigger and shortened the rotation.

They've swapped out Stromer (6' 6") for Ben Gregg (6' 10") in the starting line-up and basically play seven guys (Huff and Stromer off the bench). They're more efficient and shooting better as well.....had a tough stretch mid/late December through mid January, where they lost 4 of 8 and not looking as connected.

Only two losses since (to St. Mary's). I still think they get a break with having a relatively weaker conference compared to some other conference teams as to seeding, etc. However, they are talented, well-coached, and playing well. Watson (among others) will be a problem for Purdue. They could absolutely take down the Boilers potentially.....now, if the Purdue team plays like it did Sunday, Gonzaga will have its work cut out......and then some.

Should be a great game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT