ADVERTISEMENT

Colvin and Heide

It shows they think it was what's best to beat Grambling.
Right. Grambling was a team that lives by getting inside the arc, and Painter went with more athletic defenders on the perimeter.

If we were playing Oakland and needed someone to stay in Gohlke's shorts on the perimeter without fear of getting blown by, I wouldn't have been surprised if Morton was the guy Painter called on. That's Morton's defensive strength--just ask that guy from Minnesota.

Wow, I guess he is getting better.
You wouldn't have any idea. Your gem from earlier in the thread:

"Can you give me an example of Colvin's "skills". He might have had an assist or two, but no points, no rebounds, no steals."

Guy had 3 assists and 3 rebounds, but somehow you missed all of them. #Clueless

Reactions: pushal
Agreed. The dunks (even the missed ones), aggressive blocks, and fearless three-point shots are all characteristic of a highly energetic and athletic player. It's just a matter of time before he puts it all together. And he's beginning to do these things within the flow of the offense.

Remember how raw Ivey was as a freshman? That kind of intensity and athleticism just can't be taught.
Ivey was so much better as a frosh. Averaged 11+ per game, 3.5 RPG, and 3 assists for the year. Also named to the B10 Freshman team of the year and averaged 14 ppg the last six games of the season. Comparing Myles to Jaden, is like saying Pabst is better than Modelo.

Right. Grambling was a team that lives by getting inside the arc, and Painter went with more athletic defenders on the perimeter.

If we were playing Oakland and needed someone to stay in Gohlke's shorts on the perimeter without fear of getting blown by, I wouldn't have been surprised if Morton was the guy Painter called on. That's Morton's defensive strength--just ask that guy from Minnesota.
I think Painter is using Morton now as less a Swiss Army Knife and more a highly specialized tool he can use against a specific type of player.

Morton would absolutely be effective against a guy like Gohlke. Not super quick, mostly a jump shooter, not prone to drive.

Where Painter was using him unsuccessfully in the past was against quicker players but of course back then we know Colvin was worse. I still think Heide was the best choice.

So I think we won't see much of Morton except at the end of a blowout or against a specific type of player who needs cooled down.

I think Painter is using Morton now as less a Swiss Army Knife and more a highly specialized tool he can use against a specific type of player.

Morton would absolutely be effective against a guy like Gohlke. Not super quick, mostly a jump shooter, not prone to drive.

Where Painter was using him unsuccessfully in the past was against quicker players but of course back then we know Colvin was worse. I still think Heide was the best choice.

So I think we won't see much of Morton except at the end of a blowout or against a specific type of player who needs cooled down.
Yep. Grambling St. was not a good matchup for him, but I could definitely see him being a good option to guard Dalton Knecht or Baylor Scheierman. That said, the primary reason why Morton isn’t playing is Heide, who is arguably a better defender and is a much greater scoring threat. Now that Colvin is figuring it out as well, the minutes just aren’t there.

Painter acknowledged in his press conference how much it kills him not to play guys who used to be starters, but that he has to do what is best for the team. Morton and Furst seem like great young men who will be successful in life and will make a positive impact in whatever they do, but there are a limited number of minutes and those minutes need to go to a limited number of players for Purdue to be at its best.

I would agree about the final 15 minutes but the first 25 or so minutes was very indicative IMO. I like Morton and Furst but it's pretty clear the coaching staff now thinks a 3 man rotation at the 4/5 (Edey/TKR/Gillis) and the upside of Heide and Colvin over Morton is best for the team's chances to go deep in the tourney.

How do you feeling about the coaching staff thinking “Colvin over Morton is best for this team’s chances to go deep in the tourney”.

You argued for most of the year that Morton should get minutes over Colvin. I’d guess you no longer feel that way since it’s March and we need dynamic guard play off the bench.

I hope he is a better college player than Jaden. I’m unsure he has more potential than Booker at MSU and yet we saw Izzo have him on the bench for a while. Any chance that Matt was thinking similar to Izzo which is different than a lot of fans or did both make the same mistake?

He will be a better college player than Jaden because Painter is probably developing him a little differently. Why Colvin's defense is so much better and why he is getting assists.

Guys get better in practice. Game time helps but is nowhere near as important as practice. Colvin is playing better despite not playing much. How did that happen if he needed game time to get better?
Did you play competitive sports? Yes, practice is important, but nothing replaces game experience. I guess it’s just a philosophy on how you think a guy learns best.
The counter argument of MCs defense is Morton’s inability to develop any offense after 4 years.

He will be a better college player than Jaden because Painter is probably developing him a little differently. Why Colvin's defense is so much better and why he is getting assists.
I think that Jaden was so talented that he had a longer leash than other players. He would do his own thing and the team D, in particular, suffered as a result.

I think that there is something to the idea that Painter is demanding more buy in from Colvin, but Painter is in a much stronger position to do so because of the depth of the current team. A good example is Heide, who brings a lot of the same strengths as Colvin. Painter did not have a Cam Heide when Ivey was a freshman.

If Colvin doesn’t get frustrated and leave the program early, I think that he has a great chance to be Purdue’s next star 2 guard (think ETwaun, Carsen, Jaden).

How do you feeling about the coaching staff thinking “Colvin over Morton is best for this team’s chances to go deep in the tourney”.

You argued for most of the year that Morton should get minutes over Colvin. I’d guess you no longer feel that way since it’s March and we need dynamic guard play off the bench.
I wasn't even here most of the year. I've only been back for a couple of months.

But since you ask, when Colvin was not dialed in defensively and really a terrible off the ball defender and when he didn't do well following the offensive gameplan, Morton was the better choice.

I forget who said it but in one of the interviews, they said Colvin has been spending a ton of time watching tape with PJ lately. That shows a maturity that he didn't show early in the year.

I'd have loved for him to have come in dialed in and have taken Morton's minutes early in the year because no one has ever disputed that Colvin, when playing well on both ends, doesn't offer higher upside than Ethan. But anyone who thinks that was the case early in the year really wasn't paying attention.

Did you play competitive sports? Yes, practice is important, but nothing replaces game experience. I guess it’s just a philosophy on how you think a guy learns best.
The counter argument of MCs defense is Morton’s inability to develop any offense after 4 years.
I did. I've also heard many coaches say exactly what I said over the years. I do think it's a mistake to not play players at all as you need to get them comfortable with the speed of games. But Painter didn't do that. Colvin has seen meaningful minutes in a bunch of big games throughout the season.

Sure, he sat for a few games. But I've also heard coaches say the biggest motivator they have is the bench. It appears that using that motivator worked because Colvin is spending more time watching film and seems much more dialed in than he was earlier in the year.

I did. I've also heard many coaches say exactly what I said over the years. I do think it's a mistake to not play players at all as you need to get them comfortable with the speed of games. But Painter didn't do that. Colvin has seen meaningful minutes in a bunch of big games throughout the season.

Sure, he sat for a few games. But I've also heard coaches say the biggest motivator they have is the bench. It appears that using that motivator worked because Colvin is spending more time watching film and seems much more dialed in than he was earlier in the year.
I’d still say that a lot of those minutes Morton was getting should have gone to Colvin.
The ceiling is so much higher and you already know what you’re getting from Morton regardless of how much time he gets.

I think that Jaden was so talented that he had a longer leash than other players. He would do his own thing and the team D, in particular, suffered as a result.

I think that there is something to the idea that Painter is demanding more buy in from Colvin, but Painter is in a much stronger position to do so because of the depth of the current team. A good example is Heide, who brings a lot of the same strengths as Colvin. Painter did not have a Cam Heide when Ivey was a freshman.

If Colvin doesn’t get frustrated and leave the program early, I think that he has a great chance to be Purdue’s next star 2 guard (think ETwaun, Carsen, Jaden).

I don’t see why Myles is frustrated anymore and would leave? He won a B1G conference outright, Maui invitational, played on a team ranked top 3 all year, started to get meaningful minutes down the stretch in the BTT and NCAAT. He is going to be a BIG part of the action for next year and I’m sure he and his camp know that…I’d be quite surprised if he transfers.

Reactions: pushal
I’d still say that a lot of those minutes Morton was getting should have gone to Colvin.
The ceiling is so much higher and you already know what you’re getting from Morton regardless of how much time he gets.

I agree but I am assuming painter didn’t want to put Myles in a situation where he would be exposed/not succeed. I know he needs to fail at times to learn, but you also don’t want a player to become super frustrated every time he is in the game and become timid/second guess himself and then he’s not ready to play when he’s needed.

Just trying to offer a different perspective…not trying to say anyone is wrong…but I guess we really just need the coaching staff on here to answer it for us 😂

You wouldn't have any idea. Your gem from earlier in the thread:

"Can you give me an example of Colvin's "skills". He might have had an assist or two, but no points, no rebounds, no steals."

Guy had 3 assists and 3 rebounds, but somehow you missed all of them. #Clueless
Amazing how he missed multiple people giving MC's real stats but managed to mockingly quote the one post with the wrong stats (besides his own). Super intellectually honest guy. No hardon for MC whatsoever.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Early in the year, I was good with a guy who was a slight net positive defensively and a big net negative offensively over a guy that was a big net negative defensively and a slight net positive offensively. We had plenty of scorers and have had a top 5 offensive team in college basketball all season.

I'm ecstatic that Colvin has improved enough defensively that he can see the floor in big games.

Is that a counter to your argument you were making since you think Morton got too much playing time?

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I don’t see why Myles is frustrated anymore and would leave? He won a B1G conference outright, Maui invitational, played on a team ranked top 3 all year, started to get meaningful minutes down the stretch in the BTT and NCAAT. He is going to be a BIG part of the action for next year and I’m sure he and his camp know that…I’d be quite surprised if he transfers.
I agree with you, but I also think that we have been a little spoiled at Purdue. At most programs around the country I could easily see a player with Colvin’s talent leaving because he wants to make sure he gets the starting role and big minutes. (Credit Painter for creating an environment where most of the student athletes want to stay). At Purdue next year, he will be one of several very talented guards. I believe that he will stay and compete for the minutes, but I really don’t know how he views the situation.

Anyone that suggests anything or indicates so.ething may be more or less effective or basically does anything that isnt praising the status quo get mocked here. The cultists are very serious about not breaking those rules. Then when something IS changed and it works, they act like they knew it all along.
there's some nutcases on the other side of this too. ;)

Last edited:
Shirley you’re not comparing Painter and Izzo, particularly when it comes to March.
Yes, I'm comparing their player development. Shirley you aren't deflecting again. They are both taking the exact same approach. You say Izzo is right, when he sits a 5-star when his team is struggling. Painter is wrong when he sits a 4-star on a Top 3 team. Logic is not a strength for you.

I don't think he was ready, but there is something to timing things for peak performance. Ideally a coach would hold back a team a bit, but not enough to lose until it was time after struggling against things to turn them loose a bit IF that option can play out. I said months ago that I didn't want him to peak until March so that he is a lift to the team, less scouting on him and somewhat unknown to prepare for. Now, Matt held him back to have him meet Matt's expectations (and the other players), but assuming Purdue was capable of winning through the season I'm sure Matt would like that peak in March and not December or January. It keeps players hungry and with a long season it adds a bit of freshness to the team. You can see Cam the first off the bench, whereas he never got the minutes as early most of the season.

The last thing you want IMO is to shoot your wad being the best you can be too early without anything to add later in the season. That said...again I think Myles has played as a result of better practice and more trust, but notice his minutes didn't gradually increase like Cam. He wasn't playing and then all of a sudden getting minutes in the first half and second more than all the minutes the previous month or so.
Agree with this.
I think Fletchers struggles with physical play factors in as well. Myles extra length and hops surely helps him on D make up some of the lack of experience. He's a better finisher in the paint too who will create more points when a drive is available.
Fletch had more impactful games early. If that continued I'm not sure we'd have seen Myles as early yesterday.
I think that's a dogfight for pt next year. And maybe both of them bring it to the fight and start.
But I think we'll need Cams rebounding with our new smaller front line. Hoping we can play a 3 that can help in the paint finally.

Reactions: tjreese
I agree with you, but I also think that we have been a little spoiled at Purdue. At most programs around the country I could easily see a player with Colvin’s talent leaving because he wants to make sure he gets the starting role and big minutes. (Credit Painter for creating an environment where most of the student athletes want to stay). At Purdue next year, he will be one of several very talented guards. I believe that he will stay and compete for the minutes, but I really don’t know how he views the situation.
well, it doesn't hurt that he's a legacy and dad was an all time great and legend at Purdue.

Yep. Grambling St. was not a good matchup for him, but I could definitely see him being a good option to guard Dalton Knecht or Baylor Scheierman. That said, the primary reason why Morton isn’t playing is Heide, who is arguably a better defender and is a much greater scoring threat. Now that Colvin is figuring it out as well, the minutes just aren’t there.

Painter acknowledged in his press conference how much it kills him not to play guys who used to be starters, but that he has to do what is best for the team. Morton and Furst seem like great young men who will be successful in life and will make a positive impact in whatever they do, but there are a limited number of minutes and those minutes need to go to a limited number of players for Purdue to be at its best.

Yes. Morton kept the spot warm until Cam and Myles learned what it took to take the minutes. Now that they are putting in the effort on D, the Team gets rewarded with their Xtra Offense vs Ethan.
That's a pretty ****ing BIG late season addition.
To an already loaded lineup.
And almost certainly what Matt intended the whole time.
The man is not a stupid coach.

Colvins shot is also way ahead of where Jaden’s was at this point in his career (Myles is still young for his class). Myles hasn’t shown the burst Jaden has/had but he may be a better leaper…I think he has more bounce already…and I believe he can be just as good, if not better. Has a ways to go obviously, but very excited for his growth for next year.

We will see for next year, but I think he stays to play a major role for us next year.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Why did Izzo wait so long to start 5-STAR Booker on a team that was struggling for wins?

Because like Painter, he's a horrible coach, right? Oh, wait. You like Izzo.

Cam has been the best option to put on an offensive player the last few weeks or month+. His main error has been fouling 3 pt shooters. He is a good 2 through 4 defender and adds transition, rebounding and can drive and shoot. So far he has not had mental mistakes I recall

Agree with this.
I think Fletchers struggles with physical play factors in as well. Myles extra length and hops surely helps him on D make up some of the lack of experience. He's a better finisher in the paint too who will create more points when a drive is available.
Fletch had more impactful games early. If that continued I'm not sure we'd have seen Myles as early yesterday.
I think that's a dogfight for pt next year. And maybe both of them bring it to the fight and start.
But I think we'll need Cams rebounding with our new smaller front line. Hoping we can play a 3 that can help in the paint finally.
Some of the minutes will do with the freshman guards as far as Fletcher who probably splits minutes at the 3 and maybe the two. He is still going to get major minutes next year IMO

Some of the minutes will do with the freshman guards as far as Fletcher who probably splits minutes at the 3 and maybe the two. He is still going to get major minutes next year IMO
If are right, then the incoming recruits will not be as good as many believe, me included at least not right away. Maybe on the other hand Loyer improves a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT