ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Brohn

Wole considers any statement which successfully refutes his opinions to be a personal attack.
I stood up for the guy to post his opinions, but when you post long drawn out comments, you leave alot of territory to be disputed, I know that's his style, but others are gonna say something about his comments and you gotta listen to their opinions if you want yours heard. Nothing wrong with someone setting us straight when we are wrong, in fact we should welcome it, best to have good info when possible. Hopefully Wolbig understands most people aren't attacking him, just enlightening him .

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85
I stood up for the guy to post his opinions, but when you post long drawn out comments, you leave alot of territory to be disputed, I know that's his style, but others are gonna say something about his comments and you gotta listen to their opinions if you want yours heard. Nothing wrong with someone setting us straight when we are wrong, in fact we should welcome it, best to have good info when possible. Hopefully Wolbig understands most people aren't attacking him, just enlightening him .
His problem is he thinks he knows everything about what ails Purdue football and basketball. So it's not enlightening to him.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I will agree and disagree

I disagree that the first class was not just thrown together in 90 days. like Fleck, many of the players Brohm signed in that class were players Brohm was already recruiting for WKU. he and his staff spent a lot of time recruiting those players, and he brought them with him. Many coaches will bring recruits with them as they accept new jobs and brohm was no exception. Hazell was the exception as he brought nobody he recruited with him.

just because a coach is not employed by a university doesn't mean he's not dedicating his time to putting a recruiting class together. he also did more in 90 days than Hazell did in 3 years. it's not like he just started knocking on players' doors after he was hired by Purdue. if you look at the recruit's individual profiles, you will see the vast majority of them had offers from WKU meaning Brohm was previously recruiting them. and brohm flipped a bunch of players like Beach who were committed to other schools. Additionally if you look at the commitment dates for that class, you will find only 4 players of that class committed before Hazell was fired. the players signed with brohm and wanted to play for him. they could have de-commited, but they didn't. and as a new coach, brohm could have voided the commitments. but he didn't. brohm signed them - they're HIS.

I agree with your assessment on the talent level of that first class 2017, and the 3-4 previous classes. those classes talent level wise were terrible - worse than MAC standards. and man y have been recruited over. I got into a lot of trouble on a rival board for criticizing their talents. Those players should have never come to Purdue or for that matter , never been recruited by Purdue coaches. My posts on that rival board basically begged the question why is Purdue wasting their recruiting time and scholarships on players no other BIG 10 team is even interested in? but it was true. I can see giving a 2 star lineman a scholarship/offer on the last week if you have one left to give and you're desperate. but you shouldn't be giving out scholarships to 2 star players as your first recruits. if the only offer a player has is from IU or ball st, you should be able to flip that player in January if you actually want him. like Brohm did with Beach. Beach is a great example of a Brohm recruit. Beach was basically committed elsewhere. brohm needed a center, and convinced him at the last minute/week to come to Purdue instead. Brohm convinced a few others to change their minds as well.

I didn't really follow the recruiting or the behind the scenes coaching responsibilities of any coach before Hazell. But I have with Brohm. and what I like most about brohm is not really his coaching. but rather, his preparation and off season developing. many people have said bobby Cox was not a great game manager, but he got his players prepared to play. and for the most part , the same could be said about all great coaches. the y get their players ready to play, and then they sit back and let the players perform. that's what brohm does. and that's' why I like him.
I appreciate your thoughtful commentary although not completely in agreement. A perspective to keep in mind is that the recruiting base just didn't exist. Hazell completely destroyed what ever goodwill Purdue had with head coaches of the more premier high school football programs. Brohm had to come with the the shelves bare of talent and no recruiting base to build upon. He started from scratch in establishing a recruiting base and, in most cases, begin recruiting over the inadequate talent already on the team. It was a big rebuild that takes time. Maybe after next year some of your commentary will be more appropriate. Norm

Reactions: IndyGlen
There were many things Hazell did wrong as a head coach. he was clearly in over his head. No coach should ever be compared to Hazell. Period !!!!!

In evaluating Brohm, I suggest you compare him to his contemporaries at similar schools and salary. Is he earning the money he is being paid? I am a firm believer that Purdue should be better than any non-power 5 school. I'm a firm believer that Purdue should be as good as IU, U of I, NW, Rutgers, Maryland, Cincy, Minn, Vandy, Iowa, Cal, Duke, Southern Miss, USF, Boston College, USAF, Army, Navy, USF, Miss , Miss St, GT, TCU, Baylor, K st, ISU, UK, Col, Col St, Boise st and many others. I don't believe Purdue will ever be a consistent Top 10 team. but I do expect them to be a top 25-40 team.

I also don't believe in giving a coach 4-5 years before evaluating his progress. in this day of transfer portals, a smart coach can rebuild fast. NW picked up a 5 star transfer QB. Illinois picked up a 5 star transfer TE. IU picked up a guy from Utah(?). Brohm brought in his share of grad transfers for a quick fix. In evaluating a coach, there are trends and activities both on and off the field that will indicate if a coach will be successful. And you can see those trends developing in the first 2-3 months. I could see those trends in Hazell before he ever coached a game.

Lastly, sometimes a school wants more success than a coach can provide. there are some schools where going 8-4 every year is just not good enough. Look at Nebraska, Michigan, Auburn, LSU, USC, ND, etc.. they expect more for their money. While you may love Brohm if he went 8-4 at Purdue, he'd be fired at many schools if that was the best he could do.

that's why I say, never compare a coach or a team to their previous coach. Compare them against their contemporaries at similar schools and similar salaries. the Minnesota game should be a very good evaluation game. the schools are similar. the talent is about equal. and both coaches arrived at the same time to develop their programs. It will be a good test and also measurement tool.
No coach should ever be compared to his predecessor? Every coach in college football is compared to his predecessor. It's part of the deal of being a football coach and part of college football fandom. And it doesn't matter whether it's Brohm replacing Hazell, Tiller replacing Colletto, Hope replacing Tiller, Day replacing Urban Meyer, Frank Solich replacing Tom Osborne, Ray Perkins replacing Bear Bryant. Some comparisons are just much harder than others and some are much easier. Some people replace legends and some replace historically-awful coaches.

Saying Purdue should be "as good as IU, Rutgers, Vandy, Duke" is ludicrous. You mentioned some of the absolute worst football schools in NCAA history. You mentioned a bunch of non-Power 5 schools. Talk about setting a low bar. Many of the schools you listed aren't close to being peer schools to Purdue in football.

Saying Purdue can't be a consistent Top 10 team is also ludicrous without some clarification about "over what period". Purdue can and will again start being ranked (I believe under Brohm), and I believe he will have some teams ranked in the Top 10. Is that sustainable over 3 years, 5 years, 10, years, 20 years.....? The answer is "it depends". It depends on Purdue's willingness to invest in the program. It depends on having leadership that actually cares to maintain and grow a consistently winning program. It depends on the Purdue fanbase actually supporting the team and not jumping off the bandwagon after 1 bad game or a couple of bad games out of three.

It's a good thing you're not the AD at Purdue. Without giving a coach like Brohm, who came to Purdue with a .750 winning percentage, a 4 or 5 year deal to start, you don't get him to come here at all. You end up being able to hire more coaches like Hazell. And the cycle of losing continues. No good to excellent coach will want to work at a place that doesn't show commitment to them. What you're describing is a lack of commitment to winning.

I'm sorry, wolegib, but a lot of what you said in your original post is nonsense, IMHO, and it's a damn good thing you're not the AD, the President, or on the BOT at Purdue. Your way of thinking would relegate Purdue football to being among the very worst programs in the BIG and in the country, perhaps permanently.

Brohm is trying to help Purdue football rebrand and rebuild after some very dark years and has immediately showed some positive returns. He'll be the first to admit that we are not where he sees us getting, yet. But he and his staff will do everything in their power to make Purdue football significantly better. He's the right fit for our school. Rebuilds like this one take some time, and it's a minor miracle that he's led Purdue to two straight bowl games in his first two seasons, finishing second in the BIG West last season.

The biggest problem with this while Brohn regime is marketing. I didn’t even know we had a coach Brohn! How are you supposed to recruit with that lack of visability??

Reactions: FirstDownB
Wo, I actually like that. I still believe PU should be at worst a 7 win team this year...but don't believe they will.
Winning 7 with the schedule that remains, and, the issues that there seemingly are in conjunction with the injuries that have happened...would be very impressive...especially on the heels of having blown a game and then just having nothing to offer on either side of the ball against the only genuine quality opponent to date.

I agree that would be good. It just hasn’t been my experience with Bigelow historically. And that’s OK too. Nobody here has do things the way anyone else does them.

Wole considers any statement which successfully refutes his opinions to be a personal attack.

that's not totally true. However, if my name is included in a post by somebody else, and your post has nothing to do with the posted topic, I will probably respond.

Who's eyes was this post intended for ? to be ongoing with the subject ? to me ? or about me to others?

I'm not thin skinned. I'm just calling it like I see it. And it's people like you that don't like my replies to your obviously off topic posts trying to bait and trigger a response from me.

tell me and the others here , what was the purpose of your post other than to get a response from me ? and now you have one.

My original posts were related to the topic, not any one individual . Your posts are directly related to me and have nothing to do with the topic. . I don't consider them a personal attack. However, you are going out of your way to talk about me, so wha t would you call it ? So who's hijacking this thread ? me or you?

No coach should ever be compared to his predecessor? Every coach in college football is compared to his predecessor. It's part of the deal of being a football coach and part of college football fandom. And it doesn't matter whether it's Brohm replacing Hazell, Tiller replacing Colletto, Hope replacing Tiller, Day replacing Urban Meyer, Frank Solich replacing Tom Osborne, Ray Perkins replacing Bear Bryant. Some comparisons are just much harder than others and some are much easier. Some people replace legends and some replace historically-awful coaches.

Saying Purdue should be "as good as IU, Rutgers, Vandy, Duke" is ludicrous. You mentioned some of the absolute worst football schools in NCAA history. You mentioned a bunch of non-Power 5 schools. Talk about setting a low bar. Many of the schools you listed aren't close to being peer schools to Purdue in football.

Saying Purdue can't be a consistent Top 10 team is also ludicrous without some clarification about "over what period". Purdue can and will again start being ranked (I believe under Brohm), and I believe he will have some teams ranked in the Top 10. Is that sustainable over 3 years, 5 years, 10, years, 20 years.....? The answer is "it depends". It depends on Purdue's willingness to invest in the program. It depends on having leadership that actually cares to maintain and grow a consistently winning program. It depends on the Purdue fanbase actually supporting the team and not jumping off the bandwagon after 1 bad game or a couple of bad games out of three.

It's a good thing you're not the AD at Purdue. Without giving a coach like Brohm, who came to Purdue with a .750 winning percentage, a 4 or 5 year deal to start, you don't get him to come here at all. You end up being able to hire more coaches like Hazell. And the cycle of losing continues. No good to excellent coach will want to work at a place that doesn't show commitment to them. What you're describing is a lack of commitment to winning.

I'm sorry, wolegib, but a lot of what you said in your original post is nonsense, IMHO, and it's a damn good thing you're not the AD, the President, or on the BOT at Purdue. Your way of thinking would relegate Purdue football to being among the very worst programs in the BIG and in the country, perhaps permanently.

Brohm is trying to help Purdue football rebrand and rebuild after some very dark years and has immediately showed some positive returns. He'll be the first to admit that we are not where he sees us getting, yet. But he and his staff will do everything in their power to make Purdue football significantly better. He's the right fit for our school. Rebuilds like this one take some time, and it's a minor miracle that he's led Purdue to two straight bowl games in his first two seasons, finishing second in the BIG West last season.

That's probably one of your best posts ever. You offer a differing opinion. You provide backing of your points. You stay on topic and you don't throw insults at the opposing poster. You stay on topic and attack the post, not the individual.

I don't share your optimism for Purdue football. I included certain schools for a reason and yes, some were not power 5 schools. I don't ever expect Purdue to ever be able to compete with OSU, Mich, or Alabama. however, I do expect Purdue to be as good as the other teams I mentioned. and unfortunately, in many cases, we're not. Purdue should be better than UK and Cincy in football. Purdue should be better than Minn and IU. To be blunt, with what Purdue spends on athletics, we should be better than a lot of schools. The same applies to all Purdue sports.

And while many always compare Purdue's present to it's past, I believe that comparison is flawed for many reasons. To be successful, you have to win games. In my opinion, to measure the ability of your team's success, you must compare your team to your opponent to gauge your chance of winning. Additionally, if you have improved your team 10 fold, but your opponent has improved his team 20 fold, have you really improved your team? Yes, you are better than your past, but you have not improved your standing in the world. If you significantly improve your team, but your record remains the same or less, have you really improved your team? Was last year's team better than the previous year's team? How do you measure improvement? I use the W/L record. Ultimately, isn't that what team sports are supposed to be about ? Winning? Lombardi's packers teams were very boring, but they had one thing in common - championships. Wooden's team were similar. Shouldn't that be the goal?

When you give a coach a sizable raise for his accomplishments, should you not expect greater results? or are you satisfied with the accomplishments he achieved? if you pay a coach top dollar, are you paying for the present and the rebuild with hopes the future will be better? and that's where I disagree with most. if I pay top dollar, I want top dollar return. I don't want to spend Lexus money for a Camry. My expectations become higher. By the salary standards of his day, Hope was a rather cheap hire. and he produced mediocre results. Purdue got what it paid for. neither Hazell or Brohm were a cheap hire. From a business perspective, Hazell was a very bad investment, and we unloaded it before losing any more money. on the other hand, Brohm is a very expensive growth stock. We expect his future return will pay significant dividends, so we keep him.

An analogy: As an investor, I invest in a lot of small and mid-cap funds. I've been burned several times by market fluxes and downturns in the market. We've had some very bad years. To cover for potential losses, I have diversified my holdings to include a lot of low risk and low gain funds. I'm no longer expecting a high return, but I'm also not losing any money.

Applying that analogy to Brohm. he's a growth stock. He has displayed a great gain over the previous years. Has he reached a plateau? or will he continue to improve? That's an unknown. As long as he creates a .500 or better record, I will continue to praise him. however, if he doesn't continue to grow to a higher plateau, he may become too expensive for my taste. in the 80's and 90's, Fidelity Magellan was a tremendous mutual fund and provided a great return for investors. however, they also charged a very high fee which reduced your overall profit/return. Like all funds, Fidelity Magellan suffered a couple of losing seasons. and because their fees remained high, people turned away and looked for other funds with a better overall return. I look at Brohm the same way. I expect higher returns than what he's currently generating. How many years am I willing to accept the returns he's providing? I'm not sure.

I've said many times I like a lot of the things Brohm has done at Purdue. I also am on record as hating Hazell 2 months after he was hired. But as an alumni who is constantly asked to make contributions, I'd like to know that I'm receiving a decent return for those contributions. Otherwise My contributions will be directed to the music and cancer research. And I went on record when Hazell was hired, that going .500 should not be the focus or goal and nor should it be the norm or thought of as acceptable. I chose Purdue for my academic education because I thought it was better than the norm. and I expect that to hold true for its athletics programs. I don't expect Purdue to reach OSU athletic standards. But we should be equal to UW, Illinois, IU, Northwestern and Iowa. and no way should Cincy ever be better than Purdue.

Those are my opinions on Brohm.

Reactions: npb
That's probably one of your best posts ever. You offer a differing opinion. You provide backing of your points. You stay on topic and you don't throw insults at the opposing poster. You stay on topic and attack the post, not the individual.

I don't share your optimism for Purdue football. I included certain schools for a reason and yes, some were not power 5 schools. I don't ever expect Purdue to ever be able to compete with OSU, Mich, or Alabama. however, I do expect Purdue to be as good as the other teams I mentioned. and unfortunately, in many cases, we're not. Purdue should be better than UK and Cincy in football. Purdue should be better than Minn and IU. To be blunt, with what Purdue spends on athletics, we should be better than a lot of schools. The same applies to all Purdue sports.

And while many always compare Purdue's present to it's past, I believe that comparison is flawed for many reasons. To be successful, you have to win games. In my opinion, to measure the ability of your team's success, you must compare your team to your opponent to gauge your chance of winning. Additionally, if you have improved your team 10 fold, but your opponent has improved his team 20 fold, have you really improved your team? Yes, you are better than your past, but you have not improved your standing in the world. If you significantly improve your team, but your record remains the same or less, have you really improved your team? Was last year's team better than the previous year's team? How do you measure improvement? I use the W/L record. Ultimately, isn't that what team sports are supposed to be about ? Winning? Lombardi's packers teams were very boring, but they had one thing in common - championships. Wooden's team were similar. Shouldn't that be the goal?

When you give a coach a sizable raise for his accomplishments, should you not expect greater results? or are you satisfied with the accomplishments he achieved? if you pay a coach top dollar, are you paying for the present and the rebuild with hopes the future will be better? and that's where I disagree with most. if I pay top dollar, I want top dollar return. I don't want to spend Lexus money for a Camry. My expectations become higher. By the salary standards of his day, Hope was a rather cheap hire. and he produced mediocre results. Purdue got what it paid for. neither Hazell or Brohm were a cheap hire. From a business perspective, Hazell was a very bad investment, and we unloaded it before losing any more money. on the other hand, Brohm is a very expensive growth stock. We expect his future return will pay significant dividends, so we keep him.

An analogy: As an investor, I invest in a lot of small and mid-cap funds. I've been burned several times by market fluxes and downturns in the market. We've had some very bad years. To cover for potential losses, I have diversified my holdings to include a lot of low risk and low gain funds. I'm no longer expecting a high return, but I'm also not losing any money.

Applying that analogy to Brohm. he's a growth stock. He has displayed a great gain over the previous years. Has he reached a plateau? or will he continue to improve? That's an unknown. As long as he creates a .500 or better record, I will continue to praise him. however, if he doesn't continue to grow to a higher plateau, he may become too expensive for my taste. in the 80's and 90's, Fidelity Magellan was a tremendous mutual fund and provided a great return for investors. however, they also charged a very high fee which reduced your overall profit/return. Like all funds, Fidelity Magellan suffered a couple of losing seasons. and because their fees remained high, people turned away and looked for other funds with a better overall return. I look at Brohm the same way. I expect higher returns than what he's currently generating. How many years am I willing to accept the returns he's providing? I'm not sure.

I've said many times I like a lot of the things Brohm has done at Purdue. I also am on record as hating Hazell 2 months after he was hired. But as an alumni who is constantly asked to make contributions, I'd like to know that I'm receiving a decent return for those contributions. Otherwise My contributions will be directed to the music and cancer research. And I went on record when Hazell was hired, that going .500 should not be the focus or goal and nor should it be the norm or thought of as acceptable. I chose Purdue for my academic education because I thought it was better than the norm. and I expect that to hold true for its athletics programs. I don't expect Purdue to reach OSU athletic standards. But we should be equal to UW, Illinois, IU, Northwestern and Iowa. and no way should Cincy ever be better than Purdue.

Those are my opinions on Brohm.
Brohm is not an "expensive growth stock". He's paid what the market bears. We overpaid for Hazell. Tiller was a value play. Over time, performance flagged. Danny Hope was a below average coach for below average pay. Yet, taken in the context of the environments they operated in, Tiller and Hope both performed pretty damn well considering the poor level of support given by the Administration, the BoT, and the AD at the time. Tiller was a miracle worker considering what he had to deal with. Assistants leaving regularly because the school didn't pay. Facilities that were sub-par. Below average support staff. Again, that demonstrated a lack of commitment to winning. Hell, Painter had to threaten to leave for Mizzou in order to get a raise for himself and his staff.

Once again, you throw a list out there without any proper frame of reference. Comparing Wisky and Iowa with IU and Illinois is an absolute joke. Wisky and Iowa both have made commitments to winning in football since Hayden Fry and Barry Alvarez. They've shown consistency in their programs. Purdue's lack of a winning commitment has not allowed that kind of consistency. In order to get to where those programs are, it takes buy in from the Administration, the BoT, the AD, and fanbase, as I said before.

Illinois and IU are beneath us. Brohm has beaten Illinois twice in two tries, IU twice in two tries, and Iowa twice in two tries. We are finally getting competitive with NW and Wisky, and I think this season Brohm will break through and beat one or both of those. I also think Brohm will find a way to beat Minnesota at home.

Reactions: phila
The only thing this thread is missing now is Tacos. So I will do my part.

https://www.purdueexponent.org/sports/article_46e4a603-c950-5745-b171-e6b72de01387.html

Who came up with Tacos anyway? I've heard it used for home constantly but have no idea how it began other than it being a typo.
True story. Someone (BBG?) on the Basketball Free Board posted a comment from their phone, and "Travis" was corrected to "Tacos". Everyone got such a kick out of it, it just snowballed.

that's not totally true. However, if my name is included in a post by somebody else, and your post has nothing to do with the posted topic, I will probably respond.

Who's eyes was this post intended for ? to be ongoing with the subject ? to me ? or about me to others?

I'm not thin skinned. I'm just calling it like I see it. And it's people like you that don't like my replies to your obviously off topic posts trying to bait and trigger a response from me.

tell me and the others here , what was the purpose of your post other than to get a response from me ? and now you have one.

My original posts were related to the topic, not any one individual . Your posts are directly related to me and have nothing to do with the topic. . I don't consider them a personal attack. However, you are going out of your way to talk about me, so wha t would you call it ? So who's hijacking this thread ? me or you?

I’ll respond point by point in bold text:

"Wolegib, post:
that's not totally true.
Your reply’s claiming you have been attacked would support my opinion.

However, if my name is included in a post by somebody else, and your post has nothing to do with the posted topic, I will probably respond.
I replied to a post talking about you claiming you were personally attacked. My statement is therefore relevant to the post. Reply all you want. I never said you couldn’t.

Who's eyes was this post intended for ?
My post was intended for anyone who wishes to read it, including you if you are interested.

to be ongoing with the subject ?
To respond to a statement within the post I replied to.

to me ?
Yes.

or about me to others?
Yes.

Come on Bigelow. I love your replies. They are quite funny.

Just stating an opinion of mine about you. I would be just fine if you didn’t reply too. Your choice.

My original posts were related to the topic, not any one individual .
If you say so. I only read your short posts.

Your posts are directly related to me and have nothing to do with the topic.
With the thread topic...yes that’s true. The vast majority of my posts have absolutely nothing to do with you.

I don't consider them a personal attack. However, you are going out of your way to talk about me, so wha t would you call it ?
I would call it a personal attack, to an anonymous handle. Is that still personal?

So who's hijacking this thread ? me or you?”
Well...I never said anything about hijacking threads so not really sure what you mean...oh you mean I did. Since your here and I’m hear, I think it’s our hijacking (to paraphrase Spicolli).

all of the players on this team are Brohm's players regardless of who recruited them. they either bought into his system and his coaching, or they left. And a lot of them did leave.

regardless of what class you want to categorize them as or if they redshirted, the fact is many of those players you call sophomores, are actually in their third year playing for Brohm, practicing for brohm, and developing under his guidance. They may only be listed as sophomores, but they have been around awhile.

this is Brohm's third season as a coach. Think about it. Brohm was at Purdue working with these players for 9 months before his first season started. he also had a Spring practice and Summer camp before his first season started. While technically, you could classify 2017 as his first recruiting class, he did have 9 months prior to their arrival to work with and develop the classes of 2014-2016.

and as I said, many of those players left. But he also developed many of those players into being better players. I give brohm total credit for the development of Blough, Sindelar, bailey and Neal. he didn't recruit any of those players, but they were and are his players, and he developed them. And he stayed at Purdue because he called them HIS players.

I don't buy into the argument that former coach's recruits are not a current coach's players. With the transfer portal, they could have left like Allstott and others left. the ones that stayed wanted to be Brohm's players.

and when you say a coach needs 4 years, when does the clock start? I say the clock starts when he arrives, rather than after the first season ends. he received that first paycheck the first month he was here. Time flies fast. in 3 months, Brohm will be starting his 4th year.

Goodness sakes. I should really put you on ignore. But sometimes it's interesting just to see how goofy you get...

Reactions: Purdue85

SD, I have a question for you and others. As you know, I questioned the hiring of Brohm and questioned more when they gave him the raise and extension, so here's what I'm asking, "If Brohm took PU to two bowls with the players he inherited (are they his or Hazell's players), wouldn't you expect to see this team at a minimum of one more win this year for a total of seven? I expected no less than eight this season, but now doubt a bowl game is coming. The offensive line is horrible, the defense is suspect at best, and there is going to be a lot of QB's with happy feet.

SD, I have a question for you and others. As you know, I questioned the hiring of Brohm and questioned more when they gave him the raise and extension, so here's what I'm asking, "If Brohm took PU to two bowls with the players he inherited (are they his or Hazell's players), wouldn't you expect to see this team at a minimum of one more win this year for a total of seven? I expected no less than eight this season, but now doubt a bowl game is coming. The offensive line is horrible, the defense is suspect at best, and there is going to be a lot of QB's with happy feet.
You’ve got to be kidding. Did you even read what you wrote? He took Hazell’s players, mixed in some of his own, and took Purdue to two straight bowl games, whipped OSU, whipped Mizzou on the road, and beat ranked Iowa and ranked BC. This, after the absolute dumpster Hazell left him. D-Haze was 9-33 (3-24 in the BIG) over 4 seasons. In two seasons, Brohm has won as many BIG games as Hazell won in total in 4! We are getting 50K fans a game (60K last week) have a high-powered offense that’s fun to watch, and our recruiting is as good as it’s been in over 15 years.

So if Brohm isn’t doing a good job and shouldn’t be paid what he’s making, who the hell should be coaching at Purdue? And secondly, how the hell do you know that Purdue can’t go 6-3 in BIG play? He was 4-5 in 2017, 5-4 last year (2nd in West).

You’ve got to be kidding. Did you even read what you wrote? He took Hazell’s players, mixed in some of his own, and took Purdue to two straight bowl games, whipped OSU, whipped Mizzou on the road, and beat ranked Iowa and ranked BC. This, after the absolute dumpster Hazell left him. D-Haze was 9-33 (3-24 in the BIG) over 4 seasons. In two seasons, Brohm has won as many BIG games as Hazell won in total in 4! We are getting 50K fans a game (60K last week) have a high-powered offense that’s fun to watch, and our recruiting is as good as it’s been in over 15 years.

So if Brohm isn’t doing a good job and shouldn’t be paid what he’s making, who the hell should be coaching at Purdue? And secondly, how the hell do you know that Purdue can’t go 6-3 in BIG play? He was 4-5 in 2017, 5-4 last year (2nd in West).
I've said since the end of last year that eight wins should be what is expected this year. Seven is better than the past two years, but are they Hazell's kids that he won with, or his?

I'll say it again, this year will tell if he's worth it or not.

I've said since the end of last year that eight wins should be what is expected this year. Seven is better than the past two years, but are they Hazell's kids that he won with, or his?

I'll say it again, this year will tell if he's worth it or not.
Sounds like your mind is already made up. And you never answered the question. Who should Purdue have hired instead?

Sounds like your mind is already made up. And you never answered the question. Who should Purdue have hired instead?

Who is a problem. I wanted Les Miles, because he had a pipeline of D5 recruits that he'd been in contact with and I believe that he'd have swayed some of those to follow him. I've said it before, PU football isn't a destination, though it's been good but not great. PU would have been his last stop...at his age, he's set for life I'd assume, and was looking for a major program to finish up at.

Who is a problem. I wanted Les Miles, because he had a pipeline of D5 recruits that he'd been in contact with and I believe that he'd have swayed some of those to follow him. I've said it before, PU football isn't a destination, though it's been good but not great. PU would have been his last stop...at his age, he's set for life I'd assume, and was looking for a major program to finish up at.
It shows that you haven't really thought this through. Les Miles was interviewed by Berghoff and Bobinski. He came across as a pompous a-hole, demanding MORE (like $1M+) than what Brohm was offered and he asked for a bunch of other perks. He acted like they should have been honored to even interview him for the job.

Can you really justify paying HIM that kind of money, knowing he was planning a ground and pound kind of offense? Basically, you are advocating for Fred Akers, part deaux. And we know how that went.

It shows that you haven't really thought this through. Les Miles was interviewed by Berghoff and Bobinski. He came across as a pompous a-hole, demanding MORE (like $1M+) than what Brohm was offered and he asked for a bunch of other perks. He acted like they should have been honored to even interview him for the job.

Can you really justify paying HIM that kind of money, knowing he was planning a ground and pound kind of offense? Basically, you are advocating for Fred Akers, part deaux. And we know how that went.
Gotta hand it to ya' , tonight, in your head-to-head, Brohm related showdown with Twin, here.
Real heavy on the facts, recall, insight.....
Very impressive, SD. 1st-rate.

Now if we could just get you to..................

You know...........

Gotta hand it to ya' , tonight, in your head-to-head, Brohm related showdown with Twin, here.
Real heavy on the facts, recall, insight.....
Very impressive, SD. 1st-rate.

Now if we could just get you to..................

You know...........
It’s no different than on the other board, except that you just don’t agree with what I say there.....

Reactions: glidresquirrel
Coach will get this turned around. We are developing a pipeline of young talent and still need a year or two to mature that talent into productive wins.

Right about now is when we need one of PA BOILER images to distract people.

Reactions: pb1941

See, I don't mind a ground and pound game. Love watching the line open holes, love watching backs that are quick and have offensive moves that stifle the defense. Doesn't mean I want Akers 2, but I've always liked watching Les coached teams.

As for what Les asked for, he might have been worth it. Just sayin'

And if no bowl this year, which is likely based on results, is Brohm worth what he's being paid?

See, I don't mind a ground and pound game. Love watching the line open holes, love watching backs that are quick and have offensive moves that stifle the defense. Doesn't mean I want Akers 2, but I've always liked watching Les coached teams.

As for what Les asked for, he might have been worth it. Just sayin'

And if no bowl this year, which is likely based on results, is Brohm worth what he's being paid?
You're about the only person I've seen on here that thinks Miles is a better fit for Purdue than Brohm and would be worth what he asked Bobinski for. I don't know why you get so fixated on salaries in general. Brohm is paid what the market bears.

Considering the improvement Purdue has seen with Brohm over his predecessor, the substantial increase in attendance, the bowl games, the much better recruiting, the much more fun offense, beating OSU, ranked Iowa, ranked Boston College, Mizzou at Mizzou, yes he's worth what he's being paid.

Coach Braun just isn't cutting it.
Braun-Series-3-ProSkin-3040s.jpg

Winning 7 with the schedule that remains, and, the issues that there seemingly are in conjunction with the injuries that have happened...would be very impressive...especially on the heels of having blown a game and then just having nothing to offer on either side of the ball against the only genuine quality opponent to date.
Can we stop already with banging the team over the loss against TCU and the way they performed? I mean seriously, a rebuilt offense of line missing their best player, our best RB out, too 2 defensive players missing ( One being an all big 10 and most importantly run stuffing defensive tackle which totally changes the way the other team approaches the game) And oh by the way let’s not forget to mention our quarterback who lead the nation in passing. Sure there’s no excuses, but and it’s a ‘big but’ CJB is rebuilding a depth chart that never existed for the past 10 years. So when you have those injuries and you are in “rebuilding mode“ those things are going to happen when you have that many important players missing

You're about the only person I've seen on here that thinks Miles is a better fit for Purdue than Brohm and would be worth what he asked Bobinski for. I don't know why you get so fixated on salaries in general. Brohm is paid what the market bears.

Considering the improvement Purdue has seen with Brohm over his predecessor, the substantial increase in attendance, the bowl games, the much better recruiting, the much more fun offense, beating OSU, ranked Iowa, ranked Boston College, Mizzou at Mizzou, yes he's worth what he's being paid.
Again, I have no clue how Miles would have done at PU. But he was a very proven commodity, with top experience. Brohm was not.

First, you or I could have and would have been an improvement or Haze.

Now question this....and I know PU isn't a destination...had Bo offered what he's paying Brohm now at first, could he have gotten someone better?

I'm not against Brohm and I have nothing personally against the guy, I just believe there were better choices. And I like close games...in baseball I'm a defense/pitcher guy first...1-0/2-1 games are great. In FB, I'll take a great defense first, because it wins games. So Les would have been one of my first choices.

And are you going to be happy with a 6-6 minor league bow game every year, or every other year? And how long will you give him, this year..one more or two?

Again, I have no clue how Miles would have done at PU. But he was a very proven commodity, with top experience. Brohm was not.

First, you or I could have and would have been an improvement or Haze.

Now question this....and I know PU isn't a destination...had Bo offered what he's paying Brohm now at first, could he have gotten someone better?

I'm not against Brohm and I have nothing personally against the guy, I just believe there were better choices. And I like close games...in baseball I'm a defense/pitcher guy first...1-0/2-1 games are great. In FB, I'll take a great defense first, because it wins games. So Les would have been one of my first choices.

And are you going to be happy with a 6-6 minor league bow game every year, or every other year? And how long will you give him, this year..one more or two?
Before you said that Purdue overpaid for Brohm to get him. No, he was paid what the market bears.

Second, Brohm was 30-10 with two straight league titles and 3 bowl wins in 3 years before he came to Purdue. He had a good track record and he’s made Purdue competitive again.

I’m glad you’re not the AD, because Miles was not the right choice for Purdue. He’s damn near retirement age. How do build for long-term success when the guy’s got one foot out the door before he starts, uses an archaic offensive system, and isn’t the right fit for our school? Again, he’d be Fred Akers, part deaux.

No one, including Brohm himself, is satisfied with .500 play year after year. He’s looking to build a long-term winner, and I think he will.

Reactions: NG.q15
Can we stop already with banging the team over the loss against TCU and the way they performed? I mean seriously, a rebuilt offense of line missing their best player, our best RB out, too 2 defensive players missing ( One being an all big 10 and most importantly run stuffing defensive tackle which totally changes the way the other team approaches the game) And oh by the way let’s not forget to mention our quarterback who lead the nation in passing. Sure there’s no excuses, but and it’s a ‘big but’ CJB is rebuilding a depth chart that never existed for the past 10 years. So when you have those injuries and you are in “rebuilding mode“ those things are going to happen when you have that many important players missing
Hey, if they had showed up at all and performed...I would be the last person "banging" them...but, that was a complete debacle...on both sides of the ball, save a nice outing by Karlaftis, and definitely by the coaching staff.

I already mentioned elsewhere...the OL being rebuilt is a matter that should have been addressed and should not be an excuse...it is not like it snuck up on them (or at least it should not have)...and, given just how bad it is, you have to be able to adjust accordingly...and the staff has not, especially in the TCU game in which it was shorthanded due to injury at OL and QB and still tried to run the exact same offense, which absolutely warrants "banging".

Coaching flat out cost them a win in the Nevada game, thus warranted making note of and some concern...playing as poorly as they did in every phase of the game against TCU warranted "banging".

I am as big a fan of Brohm as there could be and appreciative certainly of what he has done and is trying to do...but on the heels of Auburn, a really bad showing against Nevada as a staff, then having absolutely nothing to offer against a good, but not great, TCU team was disappointing. Not having any solutions on the OL three years in and not having any depth at the RB position should raise questions...having a QB that has been on campus and in/with the program for a year and a half roll out there and not be able to do anything at all should raise some questions as well, especially knowing that there is nobody better as an option and the future of the program may rest with him.

Maybe I am wrong, I just expected more...maybe because he and his staff delivered more...but the Nevada loss, the completely asinine play call that cost them their starting QB in the Vandy game and then just the complete dud last week are indeed disappointing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT