ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Brohn

Sep 2, 2001
I see where some dumb Purdue fans are complaining about our football coach and maybe Purdue should start looking at a new football coach. These people have short memories. Before Coach Brohn came to Purdue, our football team was in the toilet. We were last in the standings and could only win 1 or 2 games/year. I am thankful for Brohn and I will continue my support for him and his staff. I know mistakes have been made over the last 2+ years but we have got to gave him a least 4-5 years to proper evaluate his coaching. Purdue football never in the last 10 years got to recruit the types of players he has signed. Fans have got to remember, it may take another 4 years before he can recruit and develop the OL and DL with great recruits. We are now competitive with other teams and not the "floor mat" we used to be with Hazel

There were many things Hazell did wrong as a head coach. he was clearly in over his head. No coach should ever be compared to Hazell. Period !!!!!

In evaluating Brohm, I suggest you compare him to his contemporaries at similar schools and salary. Is he earning the money he is being paid? I am a firm believer that Purdue should be better than any non-power 5 school. I'm a firm believer that Purdue should be as good as IU, U of I, NW, Rutgers, Maryland, Cincy, Minn, Vandy, Iowa, Cal, Duke, Southern Miss, USF, Boston College, USAF, Army, Navy, USF, Miss , Miss St, GT, TCU, Baylor, K st, ISU, UK, Col, Col St, Boise st and many others. I don't believe Purdue will ever be a consistent Top 10 team. but I do expect them to be a top 25-40 team.

I also don't believe in giving a coach 4-5 years before evaluating his progress. in this day of transfer portals, a smart coach can rebuild fast. NW picked up a 5 star transfer QB. Illinois picked up a 5 star transfer TE. IU picked up a guy from Utah(?). Brohm brought in his share of grad transfers for a quick fix. In evaluating a coach, there are trends and activities both on and off the field that will indicate if a coach will be successful. And you can see those trends developing in the first 2-3 months. I could see those trends in Hazell before he ever coached a game.

Lastly, sometimes a school wants more success than a coach can provide. there are some schools where going 8-4 every year is just not good enough. Look at Nebraska, Michigan, Auburn, LSU, USC, ND, etc.. they expect more for their money. While you may love Brohm if he went 8-4 at Purdue, he'd be fired at many schools if that was the best he could do.

that's why I say, never compare a coach or a team to their previous coach. Compare them against their contemporaries at similar schools and similar salaries. the Minnesota game should be a very good evaluation game. the schools are similar. the talent is about equal. and both coaches arrived at the same time to develop their programs. It will be a good test and also measurement tool.

I see where some dumb Purdue fans are complaining about our football coach and maybe Purdue should start looking at a new football coach. These people have short memories. Before Coach Brohn came to Purdue, our football team was in the toilet. We were last in the standings and could only win 1 or 2 games/year. I am thankful for Brohn and I will continue my support for him and his staff. I know mistakes have been made over the last 2+ years but we have got to gave him a least 4-5 years to proper evaluate his coaching. Purdue football never in the last 10 years got to recruit the types of players he has signed. Fans have got to remember, it may take another 4 years before he can recruit and develop the OL and DL with great recruits. We are now competitive with other teams and not the "floor mat" we used to be with Hazel
He's got his recruits now. Why should, or would, it take another four years to get linemen? Not to downplay your statement, but that sounds like every IU fan with their newest and greatest FB coach. You win with defense, and right now, this team has little to none.

Last edited:
There were many things Hazell did wrong as a head coach. he was clearly in over his head. No coach should ever be compared to Hazell. Period !!!!!

In evaluating Brohm, I suggest you compare him to his contemporaries at similar schools and salary. Is he earning the money he is being paid? I am a firm believer that Purdue should be better than any non-power 5 school. I'm a firm believer that Purdue should be as good as IU, U of I, NW, Rutgers, Maryland, Cincy, Minn, Vandy, Iowa, Cal, Duke, Southern Miss, USF, Boston College, USAF, Army, Navy, USF, Miss , Miss St, GT, TCU, Baylor, K st, ISU, UK, Col, Col St, Boise st and many others. I don't believe Purdue will ever be a consistent Top 10 team. but I do expect them to be a top 25-40 team.

I also don't believe in giving a coach 4-5 years before evaluating his progress. in this day of transfer portals, a smart coach can rebuild fast. NW picked up a 5 star transfer QB. Illinois picked up a 5 star transfer TE. IU picked up a guy from Utah(?). Brohm brought in his share of grad transfers for a quick fix. In evaluating a coach, there are trends and activities both on and off the field that will indicate if a coach will be successful. And you can see those trends developing in the first 2-3 months. I could see those trends in Hazell before he ever coached a game.

Lastly, sometimes a school wants more success than a coach can provide. there are some schools where going 8-4 every year is just not good enough. Look at Nebraska, Michigan, Auburn, LSU, USC, ND, etc.. they expect more for their money. While you may love Brohm if he went 8-4 at Purdue, he'd be fired at many schools if that was the best he could do.

that's why I say, never compare a coach or a team to their previous coach. Compare them against their contemporaries at similar schools and similar salaries. the Minnesota game should be a very good evaluation game. the schools are similar. the talent is about equal. and both coaches arrived at the same time to develop their programs. It will be a good test and also measurement tool.
Wo, I actually like that. I still believe PU should be at worst a 7 win team this year...but don't believe they will.

He's got his recruits now. Why should, or would, it take another four years to get linemen? Not to downplay your statement, but that sounds like every IU fan with their newest and greatest FB coach. You win with defense, and right now, this team has little to none.
His players are freshman and sophomores. What are you talking about.

Reactions: purduepat1969
His players are freshman and sophomores. What are you talking about.
all of the players on this team are Brohm's players regardless of who recruited them. they either bought into his system and his coaching, or they left. And a lot of them did leave.

regardless of what class you want to categorize them as or if they redshirted, the fact is many of those players you call sophomores, are actually in their third year playing for Brohm, practicing for brohm, and developing under his guidance. They may only be listed as sophomores, but they have been around awhile.

this is Brohm's third season as a coach. Think about it. Brohm was at Purdue working with these players for 9 months before his first season started. he also had a Spring practice and Summer camp before his first season started. While technically, you could classify 2017 as his first recruiting class, he did have 9 months prior to their arrival to work with and develop the classes of 2014-2016.

and as I said, many of those players left. But he also developed many of those players into being better players. I give brohm total credit for the development of Blough, Sindelar, bailey and Neal. he didn't recruit any of those players, but they were and are his players, and he developed them. And he stayed at Purdue because he called them HIS players.

I don't buy into the argument that former coach's recruits are not a current coach's players. With the transfer portal, they could have left like Allstott and others left. the ones that stayed wanted to be Brohm's players.

and when you say a coach needs 4 years, when does the clock start? I say the clock starts when he arrives, rather than after the first season ends. he received that first paycheck the first month he was here. Time flies fast. in 3 months, Brohm will be starting his 4th year.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
all of the players on this team are Brohm's players regardless of who recruited them. they either bought into his system and his coaching, or they left. And a lot of them did leave.

regardless of what class you want to categorize them as or if they redshirted, the fact is many of those players you call sophomores, are actually in their third year playing for Brohm, practicing for brohm, and developing under his guidance. They may only be listed as sophomores, but they have been around awhile.

this is Brohm's third season as a coach. Think about it. Brohm was at Purdue working with these players for 9 months before his first season started. he also had a Spring practice and Summer camp before his first season started. While technically, you could classify 2017 as his first recruiting class, he did have 9 months prior to their arrival to work with and develop the classes of 2014-2016.

and as I said, many of those players left. But he also developed many of those players into being better players. I give brohm total credit for the development of Blough, Sindelar, bailey and Neal. he didn't recruit any of those players, but they were and are his players, and he developed them. And he stayed at Purdue because he called them HIS players.

I don't buy into the argument that former coach's recruits are not a current coach's players. With the transfer portal, they could have left like Allstott and others left. the ones that stayed wanted to be Brohm's players.

and when you say a coach needs 4 years, when does the clock start? I say the clock starts when he arrives, rather than after the first season ends. he received that first paycheck the first month he was here. Time flies fast. in 3 months, Brohm will be starting his 4th year.

That first class was thrown together in 90 days. A lot of the players have been recruited over already.

Also, it takes more than a year to develop lineman (yes i know your spiel about high end linemen, even Wisky and Iowa develop most of their linemen). The roster was incredibly bad when he walked in the door. The OL is the prime example, we have 3 Hazell players in the 2 deeps and one of them was a DT. That means most of our OL have no experience and are probably on the field a year early.

When people say the juniors and seniors aren’t Brohm recruits, all they are saying is there would be more talent in those classes if he had been around to recruit those classes. The seniors were guys who’s best option was to play for Hazell, and the juniors weren’t recruited by Brohm and his staff until December of their senior year in high school except for the ones they were recruiting at WKU. Nobody intends to say that Brohm doesn’t like them or hasn’t had time to mold them the best he and his coaches can. But the proof is in the pudding, or in this case the number of freshmen and sophomores playing.

That first class was thrown together in 90 days. A lot of the players have been recruited over already.

Also, it takes more than a year to develop lineman (yes i know your spiel about high end linemen, even Wisky and Iowa develop most of their linemen). The roster was incredibly bad when he walked in the door. The OL is the prime example, we have 3 Hazell players in the 2 deeps and one of them was a DT. That means most of our OL have no experience and are probably on the field a year early.

I will agree and disagree

I disagree that the first class was not just thrown together in 90 days. like Fleck, many of the players Brohm signed in that class were players Brohm was already recruiting for WKU. he and his staff spent a lot of time recruiting those players, and he brought them with him. Many coaches will bring recruits with them as they accept new jobs and brohm was no exception. Hazell was the exception as he brought nobody he recruited with him.

just because a coach is not employed by a university doesn't mean he's not dedicating his time to putting a recruiting class together. he also did more in 90 days than Hazell did in 3 years. it's not like he just started knocking on players' doors after he was hired by Purdue. if you look at the recruit's individual profiles, you will see the vast majority of them had offers from WKU meaning Brohm was previously recruiting them. and brohm flipped a bunch of players like Beach who were committed to other schools. Additionally if you look at the commitment dates for that class, you will find only 4 players of that class committed before Hazell was fired. the players signed with brohm and wanted to play for him. they could have de-commited, but they didn't. and as a new coach, brohm could have voided the commitments. but he didn't. brohm signed them - they're HIS.

I agree with your assessment on the talent level of that first class 2017, and the 3-4 previous classes. those classes talent level wise were terrible - worse than MAC standards. and man y have been recruited over. I got into a lot of trouble on a rival board for criticizing their talents. Those players should have never come to Purdue or for that matter , never been recruited by Purdue coaches. My posts on that rival board basically begged the question why is Purdue wasting their recruiting time and scholarships on players no other BIG 10 team is even interested in? but it was true. I can see giving a 2 star lineman a scholarship/offer on the last week if you have one left to give and you're desperate. but you shouldn't be giving out scholarships to 2 star players as your first recruits. if the only offer a player has is from IU or ball st, you should be able to flip that player in January if you actually want him. like Brohm did with Beach. Beach is a great example of a Brohm recruit. Beach was basically committed elsewhere. brohm needed a center, and convinced him at the last minute/week to come to Purdue instead. Brohm convinced a few others to change their minds as well.

I didn't really follow the recruiting or the behind the scenes coaching responsibilities of any coach before Hazell. But I have with Brohm. and what I like most about brohm is not really his coaching. but rather, his preparation and off season developing. many people have said bobby Cox was not a great game manager, but he got his players prepared to play. and for the most part , the same could be said about all great coaches. the y get their players ready to play, and then they sit back and let the players perform. that's what brohm does. and that's' why I like him.

I disagree that the first class was not just thrown together in 90 days. like Fleck, many of the players Brohm signed in that class were players Brohm was already recruiting for WKU. he and his staff spent a lot of time recruiting those players, and he brought them with him. Many coaches will bring recruits with them as they accept new jobs and brohm was no exception. Hazell was the exception as he brought nobody he recruited with him.

just because a coach is not employed by a university doesn't mean he's not dedicating his time to putting a recruiting class together. he also did more in 90 days than Hazell did in 3 years. it's not like he just started knocking on players' doors after he was hired by Purdue. if you look at the recruit's individual profiles, you will see the vast majority of them had offers from WKU meaning Brohm was previously recruiting them. and brohm flipped a bunch of players like Beach who were committed to other schools. Additionally if you look at the commitment dates for that class, you will find only 4 players of that class committed before Hazell was fired. the players signed with brohm and wanted to play for him. they could have de-commited, but they didn't. and as a new coach, brohm could have voided the commitments. but he didn't. brohm signed them - they're HIS.

I agree with your assessment on the talent level of that first class 2017, and the 3-4 previous classes. those classes talent level wise were terrible - worse than MAC standards. and man y have been recruited over. I got into a lot of trouble on a rival board for criticizing their talents. Those players should have never come to Purdue or for that matter , never been recruited by Purdue coaches. My posts on that rival board basically begged the question why is Purdue wasting their recruiting time and scholarships on players no other BIG 10 team is even interested in? but it was true. I can see giving a 2 star lineman a scholarship/offer on the last week if you have one left to give and you're desperate. but you shouldn't be giving out scholarships to 2 star players as your first recruits. if the only offer a player has is from IU or ball st, you should be able to flip that player in January if you actually want him. like Brohm did with Beach. Beach is a great example of a Brohm recruit. Beach was basically committed elsewhere. brohm needed a center, and convinced him at the last minute/week to come to Purdue instead. Brohm convinced a few others to change their minds as well.

I didn't really follow the recruiting or the behind the scenes coaching responsibilities of any coach before Hazell. But I have with Brohm. and what I like most about brohm is not really his coaching. but rather, his preparation and off season developing. many people have said bobby Cox was not a great game manager, but he got his players prepared to play. and for the most part , the same could be said about all great coaches. the y get their players ready to play, and then they sit back and let the players perform. that's what brohm does. and that's' why I like him.
Yes he brought a lot of WKU non P5 level recruits to Purdue in that first class. That’s kind of the point. It was too deep into the recruiting cycle to turn the heads of many P5 caliber players.

Yes he brought a lot of WKU FCS level recruits to Purdue in that first class. That’s kind of the point. It was too deep into the recruiting cycle to turn the heads of many P5 caliber players.
Yep

Man, I've never seen so many jump ship already. I wouldn't compare IU fans to us.... never! Brohm took this laughing stock to places we haven't seen in a long time. Our recruiting has taken a huge jump and our wins will come. Many didn't think this team could beat OSU last year after the horrible losses early but his team responded fairly well. We may have a starting lineup on both sides full of 4* recruits.

Reactions: TMA62 and Purdue85

Bigs, I seem to recall, in another post you were complaining about the OL Brohm had recruited, that they didn't have other P5 offers.

now, that first class is legit because they were Brohm's WKU recruits.

Don`t you have a yard to mow or flick to watch,give this board a break

Bigs, I seem to recall, in another post you were complaining about the OL Brohm had recruited, that they didn't have other P5 offers.

now, that first class is legit because they were Brohm's WKU recruits.

I didn't say his first class was great. I said they were Brohm's choices. if you give him credit for his great recruits, you must also give him credit for his whiffs,.

I didn't say his first class was great. I said they were Brohm's choices. if you give him credit for his great recruits, you must also give him credit for his whiffs,.

no, you're trying to have it both ways. you claim it wasn't thrown together in 90 days, yet admit it was his WKU recruits.

Bigs, sometimes you're just a bit off the mark. This is one of those times.

no, you're trying to have it both ways. you claim it wasn't thrown together in 90 days, yet admit it was his WKU recruits.

Bigs, sometimes you're just a bit off the mark. This is one of those times.

We can disagree and be civil. if a disagreement is civil I will reply and engage in conversation.

That 2017 class was a really bad class. The 2014, 2015, and 2016 classes weren't much better. Tiller also had a couple of clunker years. Each class did have some good players and many bad ones. I believe we'll all agree on that. But, I differ in that I'm crediting/ blaming Brohm for the class of 2017, and not Hazell.

in 2017, Hazell received commitments from Sipe, Alstott, Branch, Perry, and a couple of other players who later decommitted. Brohm recruited the remainder of that huge class, including jucos, grad transfers, and the players he had recruited for WKU.

Brohm's staff while at WKU spent a lot of time recruiting those players. it's not like he just started recruiting them the minute he signed on as coach at Purdue. and basically, once he signed on at Purdue, all he had to do was contact those players he recruited, and tell them he got a new gig, and would they all like to hop on board. Isn't that also what Fleck did at Minnesota?

In much the same manner, I gave Hazell credit for the class of 2013, because he was responsible for getting Hope's commitments to remain committed. Looking back, Etling had the opportunity to decommit and sign elsewhere like Gregory did, but he elected to remain. So I give credit to Hazell for signing him.

Right or wrong, I give the coach who was coaching on signing day credit /blame for that year's class. and no, I don't believe that class was hastily put together. Brohm and his staff had established relationships and had targets. It was just a matter of convincing them to commit to Purdue.

We can disagree and be civil. if a disagreement is civil I will reply and engage in conversation.

That 2017 class was a really bad class. The 2014, 2015, and 2016 classes weren't much better. Tiller also had a couple of clunker years. Each class did have some good players and many bad ones. I believe we'll all agree on that. But, I differ in that I'm crediting/ blaming Brohm for the class of 2017, and not Hazell.

in 2017, Hazell received commitments from Sipe, Alstott, Branch, Perry, and a couple of other players who later decommitted. Brohm recruited the remainder of that huge class, including jucos, grad transfers, and the players he had recruited for WKU.

Brohm's staff while at WKU spent a lot of time recruiting those players. it's not like he just started recruiting them the minute he signed on as coach at Purdue. and basically, once he signed on at Purdue, all he had to do was contact those players he recruited, and tell them he got a new gig, and would they all like to hop on board. Isn't that also what Fleck did at Minnesota?

In much the same manner, I gave Hazell credit for the class of 2013, because he was responsible for getting Hope's commitments to remain committed. Looking back, Etling had the opportunity to decommit and sign elsewhere like Gregory did, but he elected to remain. So I give credit to Hazell for signing him.

Right or wrong, I give the coach who was coaching on signing day credit /blame for that year's class. and no, I don't believe that class was hastily put together. Brohm and his staff had established relationships and had targets. It was just a matter of convincing them to commit to Purdue.

Bigs, you've displayed a very thin skin. Not sure what you define as "civil". You complain about "personal attacks", then engage in said personal attacks. Which is okay. I don't mind personal attacks. Engage or not, your prerogative.

You didn't address the point. Brohm's first class was made up primarily of WKU recruits, with a few he convinced to come on board after accepting the Purdue gig.

Like to have a linebacker like the first grad transfer from Western Kentucky. I think he was grad assistant the next year.

You can't compare the guys brohm was recruiting at wku to guys he's recruiting at purdue. Completely different level of players.

Minnesota and Purdue were in very different places when Fleck and Brohm came on the scene. In the Gophers previous four seasons they went 8-5, 8-5, 6-7, 9-4. Safe to assume that Kill and Claeys had some good recruits with Minnesota on their radar screen when PJ arrived to finish up the 2017 class. Sure, there was some turmoil that led to Claeys’ firing, but they never hit rock bottom like Purdue.

Reactions: DAG10
Bigs, you've displayed a very thin skin. Not sure what you define as "civil". You complain about "personal attacks", then engage in said personal attacks. Which is okay. I don't mind personal attacks. Engage or not, your prerogative.

You didn't address the point. Brohm's first class was made up primarily of WKU recruits, with a few he convinced to come on board after accepting the Purdue gig.

My original point was in reply to Nat who claimed Brohm only had 90 days to put together that recruiting class for 2017 as a reason that class wasn't that great.. My claim was Brohm was already recruiting players while at WKU, and he basically filled that class with those players he was already recruiting, coupled with adding some JUCO and grad transfers. So he had more than 90 days in creating that class.

I'm a believer that wins are your best recruiting tool. It's much the same with Brohm. more wins = better recruits. As he wins more games, his recruits get better.

Something to think about. If Brohm hadn't gone out and added those jucos and grad transfers to his first class to be a quick fix, and basically recruited high school players, who would have all red shirted, and if as a result Purdue went 4-8 his first year, do you believe Brohm's recruiting success would have been as good as it has been ? if Brohm didn't win that first bowl game, would he have been able to convince Moore to come to Purdue? if he didn't take Purdue to two bowl games would GK still have chosen Purdue over Michigan?

I'm going to make a bold prediction. When Brohm's team goes 8-4 , his recruiting class the following year will be one of his best ever. if he goes 5-7 two years in a row, the strength of his class ill decline. What's it going to take to get George's brother to commit to Purdue? As Al Davis would say: Wins baby !

That Teller guy wasn't very good either!

But his offense was THE BOMB!

pic_bikini_atomicbomb_285x215.jpg

Wole considers any statement which successfully refutes his opinions to be a personal attack.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Freedom of speech is one of the pitfalls in American culture it allows idiots who should not be allowed to open their mouth to speak on a public forum about football coaches and other things they know nothing about. I totally get fanatics, like myself LOL who speak unintelligently what emotion following a loss like Saturday’s loss
The gut reaction leaving that game was “what were these coaches thinking not being more prepared but the reality of it is as many posters reminded me “this team is really really young, youngest in the country and got even younger with all of the injuries but there is lots of talent there and we have the right coaches“

Really need a good game and win against Minnesota to get things going in right direction for team and build up their confidence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT