ADVERTISEMENT

Chet Holmgren

Could be return of the old school like Parrish and McHale. Holmgren is from Minnesota so he could be a McHale type.
Holmgren's game is much more expansive than McHale's. Holmgren is more comparable to KD in his style of play; runs the floor like a wing, shots 3's at a high clip, good passer and ballhandler. Like KD (when he showed up at UT) he needs to bulk up, but I would take this kid in a second. He is 7'0", but is not a center, stretch 4 all day.

Holmgren's game is much more expansive than McHale's. Holmgren is more comparable to KD in his style of play; runs the floor like a wing, shots 3's at a high clip, good passer and ballhandler. Like KD (when he showed up at UT) he needs to bulk up, but I would take this kid in a second. He is 7'0", but is not a center, stretch 4 all day.
That’s great since McHale is an NBA Hall of Farmer! CH does have more of the range and handles of KD.

Been thru this with you before repost any tweet from me to a recruit other than saying congrats . You never have because you can't find any . I don't tweet to any and you know it . But if I did IMO it would be fine . Here is an interaction I had with both Jaden Ivey and Chet Holmgren today ( I tweeted the link to Eric's story and they both hit the like button ) CREEPY ! I was sent the link by a current players Dad who assumed I had missed it . Creepy ! ( I did miss it ) . My twitter account has had over 123,000 views this month alone I promote Purdue and respect others CREEPY ?
Agree here OB52. I'll retweet a story or like something from a recruit that floats across my Twitter feed. I'll occasionally post a gif of a Purdue reference (typically Pete dancing, a waving Purdue flag, or the old cartoon train with the saying 'Choo Choo' under it. Nobody here is jumping in to recruits DM's (which would be hella creepy) or sending gross and questionable things (like Crean did btw). Most kids nowadays view likes and retweets on Twitter just as if you had said 'good game' or 'Boiler Up' after one of their AAU games.

In my very limited opinion, yes Holmgren is a forward that matches perfectly with a traditional center on offense. As always lateral quickness and perimeter defense will play a large role in being the 4 at Purdue, but those long arms will help offset some deficiencies.

If (and a HUGE if) Dickinson picks Purdue, it might actually help with Holmgren because there is no way he will have to play the 5 with Trevion, Dickinson, and Dow on the projected roster. Even without Dickinson, the depth at the 5 looks good.

The 4 also projects to be a need in 2021, especially if Wheeler leaves after his Jr year. It will be interesting to see how hard Purdue's staff goes after Holmgren this summer since 2/3 of 2020 is wrapped up.
I would imagine Holmgren is the keystone to the 2020 class and gets tons of PU attention. That kid looks like Robbie Hummel skills in a more athletic 7 foot body.

That’s great since McHale is an NBA Hall of Farmer! CH does have more of the range and handles of KD.
I still don’t think I have seen any player at any level as good at the footwork of low post play as McHale. Watching it is a master class in the art. And no, not even the big fundamental was as good at footwork.

Happ had McHale's footwork.

He had a good teacher in the beginning... :)

bo-ryan-dancing-1.gif

Reactions: TX4GB
Happ had McHale's footwork.
Happ was good no doubt, one of the best. But go spend some YouTube time on McHale. That dude was slow, lacked agility, couldn’t jump, and wasn’t overpowering. He just did everything perfectly and was unstoppable even in the NBA. We will see if Happ can match that.:)

Last edited:
Happ was good no doubt, one of the best. But go spend some YouTube time in McHale. That dude was slow, lacked agility, couldn’t jump, and wasn’t overpowering. He just did everything perfectly and was unstoppable even in the NBA. We will if Happ can match that.:)

His former college teammate (Mychal Thompson) was one of the very few I saw who could deal with him one-on-one on the block....owned Laimbeer often when they'd get matched up. McHale was also very adept at keeping his arms raised and avoiding strips from smaller "mites" guards.

Different game today, though.

giphy.gif

Reactions: TX4GB
Funny but in another thread, it might have been football even, there was some outrage about 247 having inaccurate listings of teams' depth charts. On Holmgren's page, you can see Purdue's Center depth chart.

Sr
I. Haas
C. Swanigan

Soph
M. Haarms

Fresh
T. Williams
E. Dowuona

Holmgren will be the better player, but also will be a 1 and done. We also have a way better chance with Furst. Holmgren will have every major school involved with his recruitment.
He has offers from over 20 high majors including Kansas and every B1G TEN team . Kentucky did an in home visit . Here is the rub we are a Major School get comfortable with it . We came one crazy play from the final four . Carsen Edwards is a household name . Caleb Swaningan was the star player of College basketball 3 years ago . Isaac being pulled down 2 years ago was the talk of college basketball hell they now have a foul called the Isaac Haas rule by every announcer who has to sit through the many stupid reviews . DYK his dad David a 7 footer who played for Clem Haskins 84-88 was recruited by Gene Keady ? David and Clem are still close Clem and Keady are basically life long friends ? Chet is a B1G Ten guy . Had Beilien stayed at Michigan they would have been a strong contender . IMO it is Minnesota and Purdue at this point . If fans cannot wrap their heads around the fact we have arrived after signing top 50 player Ethan Morton and getting Jaden Ivey away from N.D where his mom and dad both played and his mom now coaches . That is on them . We will never pay the top 20 players or let their parents dictate playing time or call plays . We have the National Coach of the year no one else can claim that . Just a cherry on top of our Sunday Jahaad Proctor a top 10 transfer chose Purdue over Virginia and North Carolina . As for me I am not going back to the days when we hoped players would pick us . They should hope we pick them . Just my opinion .

He has offers from over 20 high majors including Kansas and every B1G TEN team . Kentucky did an in home visit . Here is the rub we are a Major School get comfortable with it . We came one crazy play from the final four . Carsen Edwards is a household name . Caleb Swaningan was the star player of College basketball 3 years ago . Isaac being pulled down 2 years ago was the talk of college basketball hell they now have a foul called the Isaac Haas rule by every announcer who has to sit through the many stupid reviews . DYK his dad David a 7 footer who played for Clem Haskins 84-88 was recruited by Gene Keady ? David and Clem are still close Clem and Keady are basically life long friends ? Chet is a B1G Ten guy . Had Beilien stayed at Michigan they would have been a strong contender . IMO it is Minnesota and Purdue at this point . If fans cannot wrap their heads around the fact we have arrived after signing top 50 player Ethan Morton and getting Jaden Ivey away from N.D where his mom and dad both played and his mom now coaches . That is on them . We will never pay the top 20 players or let their parents dictate playing time or call plays . We have the National Coach of the year no one else can claim that . Just a cherry on top of our Sunday Jahaad Proctor a top 10 transfer chose Purdue over Virginia and North Carolina . As for me I am not going back to the days when we hoped players would pick us . They should hope we pick them . Just my opinion .
While I agree we are an upper echelon program in college basketball, we dont have a great track record winning these recruitments. Maybe that will change now, but that certainly hasn't been our history to this point.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
While I agree we are an upper echelon program in college basketball, we dont have a great track record winning these recruitments. Maybe that will change now, but that certainly hasn't been our history to this point.
It’s still really early in his recruitment and I think what happens on the court with Carsen leaving will matter quite a bit with the 2021 class. Purdue has momentum now. With the talent Purdue has coming in in 2020, I think Purdue will be able to make a strong case, but if a school like Duke offers, it may not matter. I think that landing Hunter Dickinson would make Purdue look a lot more attractive.

It’s still really early in his recruitment and I think what happens on the court with Carsen leaving will matter quite a bit with the 2021 class. Purdue has momentum now. With the talent Purdue has coming in in 2020, I think Purdue will be able to make a strong case, but if a school like Duke offers, it may not matter. I think that landing Hunter Dickinson would make Purdue look a lot more attractive.
If he ends up top 10 like some are predicting, then all of the blue bloods will be involved. I dont like our chances against Duke, UK, Memphis, Kansas, UNC, ect. I hope we get him, but I'll stand by my statement that we have a way better chance of landing Furst.

If he ends up top 10 like some are predicting, then all of the blue bloods will be involved. I dont like our chances against Duke, UK, Memphis, Kansas, UNC, ect. I hope we get him, but I'll stand by my statement that we have a way better chance of landing Furst.
Isn’t it knowledge that Furst wants to be close to home? Feel like I have heard that and that’s why we are in a good spot for him.

Isn’t it knowledge that Furst wants to be close to home? Feel like I have heard that and that’s why we are in a good spot for him.
I've heard that as well. I'm guessing it comes down to the Indiana schools along with OSU and MSU.

His former college teammate (Mychal Thompson) was one of the very few I saw who could deal with him one-on-one on the block....owned Laimbeer often when they'd get matched up. McHale was also very adept at keeping his arms raised and avoiding strips from smaller "mites" guards.

Different game today, though.

giphy.gif
It is more athletic and less physical game now. I think he would be dominant on offense but I don’t know if he would be good defensively.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT