ADVERTISEMENT

Chet Holmgren

Roeder

Junior
Jun 21, 2007
With Morton and Ivey on board, it's easier to look ahead to 2021 at some of the forwards and centers in that class. Caleb Furst gets mentioned a ton and rightfully so, but so far my favorite 2021 is Chet Holmgren from Minnesota.

The kid is super skinny, but at 7' he looks to be a stretch 4/5 with tremendous shot blocking ability. His ability to put ball on the floor at his height is freakishly Durantish.

Rivals article below 3 weeks ago said Purdue and Minnesota are recruiting him the hardest. Had some nice things to say about Purdue and it sounds like Coach Brantley has an inside connection. He likely will be offered by every blue blood this summer, but it's nice to have a head start. Recruiting momentum with unselfish guards like Morton and Ivey the class ahead can't hurt either.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...ies-of-chet-holmgren-and-the-schools-involved

With Morton and Ivey on board, it's easier to look ahead to 2021 at some of the forwards and centers in that class. Caleb Furst gets mentioned a ton and rightfully so, but so far my favorite 2021 is Chet Holmgren from Minnesota.

The kid is super skinny, but at 7' he looks to be a stretch 4/5 with tremendous shot blocking ability. His ability to put ball on the floor at his height is freakishly Durantish.

Rivals article below 3 weeks ago said Purdue and Minnesota are recruiting him the hardest. Had some nice things to say about Purdue and it sounds like Coach Brantley has an inside connection. He likely will be offered by every blue blood this summer, but it's nice to have a head start. Recruiting momentum with unselfish guards like Morton and Ivey the class ahead can't hurt either.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...ies-of-chet-holmgren-and-the-schools-involved

Sheesh, 7’ and moves as well as anyone I’ve ever seen at that height. He doesn’t look much above 210 but if he could add weight up to 240, he looks the part of a top 5 pick in the NBA. (Edited since I read the original YouTube video wrong and thought he was 7’5)

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Dah Day

With his ability to shoot AND put the ball on the floor, he could be unstoppable. I love the fact that, as skinny as he is, he doesn't avoid contact. He plays aggressive.

Can you imagine the difficulty Matt has in trying to build a team, rather than a group of players...not recruiting over, projecting out a few years, having back ups still intrested if you don't get your first choices...offering early, regretting some early offers.. No wonder Matt keeps a few spots on his bench to adapt....
Obviously the kid looks good, but he also looks thin when compared to Stix (Jalen Smith) at Maryland! ;)

Reactions: Roeder and ChuckJr
Sheesh, 7’ and moves as well as anyone I’ve ever seen at that height. He doesn’t look much above 210 but if he could add weight up to 240, he looks the part of a top 5 pick in the NBA. (Edited since I read the original YouTube video wrong and thought he was 7’5)
Dude makes JaJaun Johnson when is HS look hefty, but he certainly is very skilled. Wish I had that metabolism.

Purdue has been on him for well over a year . IMO he is the best recruit for Purdue in the 2021 class . I have watched several of his games online . He follows me on twitter and of course I follow him . He loves Matt Haarms and everything Purdue . If he were to commit today IMO he would chose Purdue . Unselfish player to a fault he gets so excited when he gets an assist . Although super thin he plays much stronger than most would expect . Today he tweeted " I am not a center " not sure why . He has been to Purdue more than once . Also of note Brandon Brantley is the lead recruiter Brantley is Purdue's best recruiter since Jack Owens moved on . Brantley landed Newman and Ivey in back to back classes . Side note on recruiting Beilien leaving Michigan has to help Purdue in the recruiting of Dickenson . He was set to visit Michigan that has been postponed . Props to Steve Lutz he landed his first recruit Ethan Morton .

I see Furst and Christie for sure next year and if a scholarship opens up, then Holmgren.
IMO it is not even close Holmgren is far and away the better of the three . I watched Furst play twice this weekend good solid player 6ft and in . Holmgren has consistent range beyond the three and has great not good but great court vision . Holmgren is a true shot blocker and an excellent help defender .He will rise to a top 50 player after we sign a center in 2020 the 4 is where we will be lacking .

Purdue has been on him for well over a year . IMO he is the best recruit for Purdue in the 2021 class . I have watched several of his games online . He follows me on twitter and of course I follow him . He loves Matt Haarms and everything Purdue . If he were to commit today IMO he would chose Purdue . Unselfish player to a fault he gets so excited when he gets an assist . Although super thin he plays much stronger than most would expect . Today he tweeted " I am not a center " not sure why . He has been to Purdue more than once . Also of note Brandon Brantley is the lead recruiter Brantley is Purdue's best recruiter since Jack Owens moved on . Brantley landed Newman and Ivey in back to back classes . Side note on recruiting Beilien leaving Michigan has to help Purdue in the recruiting of Dickenson . He was set to visit Michigan that has been postponed . Props to Steve Lutz he landed his first recruit Ethan Morton .

He follows me on twitter and of course I follow him .
Holy shit that's a creepy way to say that.

PortlyKaleidoscopicIndri-size_restricted.gif

So cringy!

Screams of Tom Crean "I've been thinking about you a lot. A whole lot".

Holy shit that's a creepy way to say that.

PortlyKaleidoscopicIndri-size_restricted.gif

So cringy!

Screams of Tom Crean "I've been thinking about you a lot. A whole lot".
I follow all Purdue recruits that is why I said it the way that I did I was stating the obvious . Now how you perceived it that is on you . I would have serious reservations about anyone who's mind went where yours apparently did . I wish you well .

What are you talking about? Tweeting at minors is creepy no matter if you have good intentions or not. Tweeting at anyone you don't personally know is weird, but when you are an old man and you tweet at minors all the time, it's very weird.
Been thru this with you before repost any tweet from me to a recruit other than saying congrats . You never have because you can't find any . I don't tweet to any and you know it . But if I did IMO it would be fine . Here is an interaction I had with both Jaden Ivey and Chet Holmgren today ( I tweeted the link to Eric's story and they both hit the like button ) CREEPY ! I was sent the link by a current players Dad who assumed I had missed it . Creepy ! ( I did miss it ) . My twitter account has had over 123,000 views this month alone I promote Purdue and respect others CREEPY ?

Adults tweeting at minors they don't personally know is creepy in any situation.

So what about the kids who ask for fan bases to get their follows up or follow them on Instagram? Or when they fish for likes? Like it or not, some kids like that attention. Some folks think midnight madness is stupid and creepy. Yet that is a huge draw to some high school kids whether you like it or not

If you think it is creepy, that’s on you. That is literally the purpose of twitter to reach out to total strangers and follow them to see what they are doing and thinking. Don’t be get off my lawn guy. Besides, it isn’t worse than lying about being in the room with Gillis. And then getting called out by a family member. To me it is far creepier Lying about being in a room with a high school kid than doing exactly what the application Twitter was designed for.

Now, I think it is never appropriate to negative @ a recruit especially if they pick another school. Some people also never shouldn’t do it. But when a kid commits or does well, it is perfectly acceptable to show some Boiler love. It’s is what every other fan base is doing. Most kids want to feel wanted by the fan base and want that hype.

If you don’t want to, then don’t. But I would be careful calling others out for being creepy, especially with your history on the board.

Edit: although Oldboiler doesn’t need me to defend him, the tweet about Ivey was liked by Ivey. I would say I would trust him on how he feels more than you, unless maybe you were in the room when he hit the like button? Maybe it was an accident?

What are you talking about? Tweeting at minors is creepy no matter if you have good intentions or not. Tweeting at anyone you don't personally know is weird, but when you are an old man and you tweet at minors all the time, it's very weird.
Back off on this Iron.

Old Boiler does a lot of good for us, and does keep us informed. ...far more than you. It is not creepy to follow people who put themselves out there to be followed. You don’t know what you are talking about, and don’t understand the situation.

So what about the kids who ask for fan bases to get their follows up or follow them on Instagram? Or when they fish for likes? Like it or not, some kids like that attention. Some folks think midnight madness is stupid and creepy. Yet that is a huge draw to some high school kids whether you like it or not

If you think it is creepy, that’s on you. That is literally the purpose of twitter to reach out to total strangers and follow them to see what they are doing and thinking. Don’t be get off my lawn guy. Besides, it isn’t worse than lying about being in the room with Gillis. And then getting called out by a family member. To me it is far creepier Lying about being in a room with a high school kid than doing exactly what the application Twitter was designed for.

Now, I think it is never appropriate to negative @ a recruit especially if they pick another school. Some people also never shouldn’t do it. But when a kid commits or does well, it is perfectly acceptable to show some Boiler love. It’s is what every other fan base is doing. Most kids want to feel wanted by the fan base and want that hype.

If you don’t want to, then don’t. But I would be careful calling others out for being creepy, especially with your history on the board.

Edit: although Oldboiler doesn’t need me to defend him, the tweet about Ivey was liked by Ivey. I would say I would trust him on how he feels more than you, unless maybe you were in the room when he hit the like button? Maybe it was an accident?
You are correct, I was in the wrong.

Last edited:
Back off on this Iron.

Old Boiler does a lot of good for us, and does keep us informed. ...far more than you. It is not creepy to follow people who put themselves out there to be followed. You don’t know what you are talking about, and don’t understand the situation.
You are correct, I was in the wrong.

Last edited:
I consider Ethan and Jaden as Commits not recruits and Holmgren was a reply not a tweet . But I am splitting hairs . Only one of your examples was a tweet to a recruit if you put their name first in a tweet that will go to them as a message . I will need to address this . Not an excuse but the dementia is really hampering my ability to think straight . Thank you for calling me out on this . I will try and do better in the future .

Back off on this Iron.

Thank you !

Reactions: Boilermaker24

Thank you !

Reactions: Boilermaker24
I consider Ethan and Jaden as Commits not recruits and Holmgren was a reply not a tweet . But I am splitting hairs . Only one of your examples was a tweet to a recruit if you put their name first in a tweet that will go to them as a message . I will need to address this . Not an excuse but the dementia is really hampering my ability to think straight . Thank you for calling me out on this . I will try and do better in the future .
*inserts foot in mouth*

It is not you who needs to be better, it's me. My comments were blanket statements, and obviously they do not apply to everyone.

You have shown nothing but praise and support for our beloved Boilers, and honestly I need to be more like you.

Who knows, your small messages of support may in fact have been the cherry on top for a recruit to pick Purdue.

I apologize for my comments.

Powell and Holmgren would be great if we can’t land Dickinson. Sounds like Holmgren would play forward even if we signed Dickinson.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Could Holmgren lineup next to Dickinson? Both look like good passers. Homgren has a mid game and Dickinson can make that power dribble enough to make space for one another.

Could be return of the old school like Parrish and McHale. Holmgren is from Minnesota so he could be a McHale type.

Powell and Holmgren would be great if we can’t land Dickinson. Sounds like Holmgren would play forward even if we signed Dickinson.
Oh my that would be incredible! 7’ low post center who happens to have 3pt range next to a 7’ stretch four that has the range, handles, and toughness combination. Mix in a fast rising scoring machine in Ivey and 6’5” point with with fantastic court awareness. I could play the wing and we would still kick a$$.

Could Holmgren lineup next to Dickinson? Both look like good passers. Homgren has a mid game and Dickinson can make that power dribble enough to make space for one another.

In my very limited opinion, yes Holmgren is a forward that matches perfectly with a traditional center on offense. As always lateral quickness and perimeter defense will play a large role in being the 4 at Purdue, but those long arms will help offset some deficiencies.

If (and a HUGE if) Dickinson picks Purdue, it might actually help with Holmgren because there is no way he will have to play the 5 with Trevion, Dickinson, and Dow on the projected roster. Even without Dickinson, the depth at the 5 looks good.

The 4 also projects to be a need in 2021, especially if Wheeler leaves after his Jr year. It will be interesting to see how hard Purdue's staff goes after Holmgren this summer since 2/3 of 2020 is wrapped up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT