ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings to BYU

There were plenty of bread crumbs to follow from the moment he decomitted! His OTE coach was hired I believe the day before he asked to be released from his NLI. So coach hired by BYU as assistant coach … catchings phone call… de commit… arranges visit to BYU for the following week… BYU has been paying large money 💰 bags to recruits and offering high rated players.. new BYU head coach has recent NBA experience…

More coming out on this now. He apparently tried to change his mind and come back, which he had already done a couple times. Painter was done with him.
oh-sure.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Schnelk
I read on the Rivals main page about a week ago that the #1 recruit in the country had just taken an official visit to BYU.

Reactions: Schnelk
Did not see that coming. Apparently he has a prior relationship with the assistant coach.

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

In all seriousness, hope it works out for him how he thinks it should…I don’t think it’s going to be what he thinks it’ll be….they have a lot of transfers who have already played at the college level and some upper class man at byu…but hey good luck to him. At least it wasn’t OTE.

Reactions: Akerphin
I mean it was from a serious reporter. Maybe he just has completely fabricated everything he has reported on this. Yeah...
In general I am skeptical of sensational “reporting” that retroactively helps the program save face, if it’s “reported” by someone who exclusively covers one program for a fan subscription site.

Fan subscription sites lead to all news being spun to in a way that lets the subscribers feel positive. It happens with every single fanbase, which is why those fans then think all the national media guys “hate their program”. No, they don’t. They’re just telling you the truth/an honest opinion, which the people who cater their “coverage” to a specific program are financially incentivized to do the opposite.

In general I am skeptical of sensational “reporting” that retroactively helps the program save face, if it’s “reported” by someone who exclusively covers one program for a fan subscription site.

Fan subscription sites lead to all news being spun to in a way that lets the subscribers feel positive. It happens with every single fanbase, which is why those fans then think all the national media guys “hate their program”. No, they don’t. They’re just telling you the truth/an honest opinion, which the people who cater their “coverage” to a specific program are financially incentivized to do the opposite.
Be skeptical if you want. This reporting has been going on for months and has been consistent, so I don't know if I'd characterize it as sensational. It was out that he decommitted at one point and that wasn't from the fan site. He didn't just now start saying all of this, plus it tracks with the way Catchings behaved on the court at OTE. Seems likely to be true to me, but you're welcome to your own opinion.

Be skeptical if you want. This reporting has been going on for months and has been consistent, so I don't know if I'd characterize it as sensational. It was out that he decommitted at one point and that wasn't from the fan site. He didn't just now start saying all of this, plus it tracks with the way Catchings behaved on the court at OTE. Seems likely to be true to me, but you're welcome to your own opinion.
We all like Brian. Having said that, Brian also asserted that Catchings was a guy who might be ready his third season so he sometimes engages in homerism.

That being said, it's well known that Catchings has gone back and forth between committing, decommitting, recommitting, and decommitting again. So pretty easy to believe he changed his mind again after and that Painter knew that this kid was never going to be happy for more than a little bit of time and said I'm out.

So I tend to believe this reporting because it tracks well with prior history with this kid, and with how Painter operates.

In all seriousness, hope it works out for him how he thinks it should…I don’t think it’s going to be what he thinks it’ll be….they have a lot of transfers who have already played at the college level and some upper class man at byu…but hey good luck to him. At least it wasn’t OTE.
I think kid is very clear on where he wants to be (NBA) and very confused on how to get there. Ultimately, he was and is going to have to work for it whether here or BYU or anywhere. He seems to want the easy button and I suspect BYU/his OTE now BYU coach sold him on it but reality is he's going to a place willing to spend big bucks to amass talent and there's no reason why he's immune to someone more talented to compete with and possibly getting less time to shine.

We all like Brian. Having said that, Brian also asserted that Catchings was a guy who might be ready his third season so he sometimes engages in homerism.

That being said, it's well known that Catchings has gone back and forth between committing, decommitting, recommitting, and decommitting again. So pretty easy to believe he changed his mind again after and that Painter knew that this kid was never going to be happy for more than a little bit of time and said I'm out.

So I tend to believe this reporting because it tracks well with prior history with this kid, and with how Painter operates.
I took it more so from Brian that catchings would be at his best form by year 3 and make the most impact then. He still called him a really talented players just that he probably would reach his highest potential by year 3. We probably wouldn’t have ever seen that, as he for sure would have been gone after 2 year but more than likely after 1.

Sucks that we won’t get to see him suit up and hopefully he is able to do well at BYU. Still think Purdue was the best possible place for him, but maybe a change of scenery and not having a ton of distractions in Provo, Utah will help him along his journey.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

No ill will toward him, but how is he going to learn not to go through life breaking commitments if it always works out the way he wants -- and the other party gets screwed?

No ill will toward him, but how is he going to learn not to go through life breaking commitments if it always works out the way he wants -- and the other party gets screwed?
I mean if a job offers to double your pay, is more fulfilling, has a better healthcare plan, etc you gonna turn it down because you made a commitment?

Not every commitment is the same. Marriage, children, being honest are all very important. But there's no moral element to seeking a better employment opportunity which is what this is to him.

I mean if a job offers to double your pay, is more fulfilling, has a better healthcare plan, etc you gonna turn it down because you made a commitment?

Not every commitment is the same. Marriage, children, being honest are all very important. But there's no moral element to seeking a better employment opportunity which is what this is to him.
Not based on what we are hearing. I haven't seen anyone report that he went to Matt Painter for double the money, or he'd walk.

There were plenty of bread crumbs to follow from the moment he decomitted! His OTE coach was hired I believe the day before he asked to be released from his NLI. So coach hired by BYU as assistant coach … catchings phone call… de commit… arranges visit to BYU for the following week… BYU has been paying large money 💰 bags to recruits and offering high rated players.. new BYU head coach has recent NBA experience…
In the era where we buy basketball teams...show me the money. Plus he's going to be a 🌟 star. For the love of the game .
My mom's for sale , trying to get her an NIL....name image likeness like Madea.

No I wouldn’t turn it down. But did they offer him 2x the money and how do you know it’s better? What if they promised him he would start and play 30+…when in reality he will only start some games and play 20 mins on a team that finishes in the 6-12 range in the big 12?

There’s not a ton to do in Provo if you’re not Mormon…I mean there’s a bunch of outdoor activities and it’s beautiful, but if you’re not into that…the way of life there…it’s just different than the rest of the US. Hopefully, he won’t go insane and can focus on bball.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Hopefully there is a Taco Bell in Provo. He reads like the type of recruit that would need a late night drive thru grub.

Last edited:
Not based on what we are hearing. I haven't seen anyone report that he went to Matt Painter for double the money, or he'd walk.
I listed more than money, the point is you don't stay at a job when there's a job you prefer more, for whatever reason. They'll find someone else and you'll not be at a place you aren't fired up to be.

No I wouldn’t turn it down. But did they offer him 2x the money and how do you know it’s better? What if they promised him he would start and play 30+…when in reality he will only start some games and play 20 mins on a team that finishes in the 6-12 range in the big 12?

There’s not a ton to do in Provo if you’re not Mormon…I mean there’s a bunch of outdoor activities and it’s beautiful, but if you’re not into that…the way of life there…it’s just different than the rest of the US. Hopefully, he won’t go insane and can focus on bball.
Well no one sees the future so better is always a prospective choice you make with limited information. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

At least it wasn't (insert B10 team here).

I listed more than money, the point is you don't stay at a job when there's a job you prefer more, for whatever reason. They'll find someone else and you'll not be at a place you aren't fired up to be.
I understand your point, but it doesn't describe this scenario. He wasn't at a job. He never showed up. He announced he wasn't coming immediately before he was scheduled to show up, so you can't say he didn't want to stay at a job where he didn't want to be.

In your scenario, if he was offered a "better job" the week he was to show up at Purdue (where he had been committed for several months), then that seems to be tampering, plain and simple. So aside from possible rules violations, the kid and the school have integrity issues.

Not all true points.

The fulfillment part isn't necessarily true. Money can make people make irrational, quick and potentially long term negative outcomes. I'm not saying this is one but playing under a coach, who is proven and a program that is sustainable, tells me enough.

If money fulfills your need, then sure, but I've had many opportunities to make more money and have decided it wasn't best for me. I'm not going to die with a bag of money but what's left behind is enough for my family.

Reactions: rgarlitz and SKYDOG
I understand your point, but it doesn't describe this scenario. He wasn't at a job. He never showed up. He announced he wasn't coming immediately before he was scheduled to show up, so you can't say he didn't want to stay at a job where he didn't want to be.

In your scenario, if he was offered a "better job" the week he was to show up at Purdue (where he had been committed for several months), then that seems to be tampering, plain and simple. So aside from possible rules violations, the kid and the school have integrity issues.
He called before he took "the job," laid out what he wanted and his future boss said no, so they parted ways.

I'm sorry but I don't see an integrity issue. Maturity issue perhaps sure. Not understanding what's best for him maybe.

But he didn't just leave, he talked to the coach beforehand.

Tampering isn't really a thing anymore. Not at the college level. Injecting morals into something like this doesn't make much sense to me.

Reactions: wallyboiler79
Not all true points.

The fulfillment part isn't necessarily true. Money can make people make irrational, quick and potentially long term negative outcomes. I'm not saying this is one but playing under a coach, who is proven and a program that is sustainable, tells me enough.

If money fulfills your need, then sure, but I've had many opportunities to make more money and have decided it wasn't best for me. I'm not going to die with a bag of money but what's left behind is enough for my family.
Great...for you. You made a choice that works for you. That doesn't put you on a higher moral plane because you made that choice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT