ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings Reopens Recruitment

His OTE coach became assistant at BYU a few days ago…Catchings asked for his release on phone call with Painter…BYU offering big money 💰 to sign recruits…Head coach has fresh NBA ties.. less competition for early playing time and a bigger role…scheduled visit with BYU today… ( also tentatively to visit Florida State and TN, he won’t likely walk into immediate role at TN either)

Coincidence?
he decommitted and recommitted multiple times and wavered throughout the process. When he decommitted this past time it is reported it was a scheduled call (planned before fanning took job at BYU) and kinda the last check in before he arrived on campus. It’s possible fanning who got hired that Same day as an assistant told kanon to stay in touch and would get him a scholly and played more into his indecisiveness. I could see a scenario where he told paint he was getting hit up by byu and wanted to check it out. Based on what was reported it would be hard to imagine him taking the visit to FSU seriously, it would seem that’s just going through the process. We’ll see.

I use my brain, rather than saying what everyone else has already said. duh ! it's easy just to echo what the majority here say. it takes intelligence and a brain to think of other possibilities.

one rumor several months ago was catchings was thinking about playing in a developmental league instead of going to college. then his parents squashed that rumor.

Look at Catchings. he's not a 4. he's a 3 in the NBA. and that's where he wants to be rather than doing an engineering internship.

Look at jacobson's recent performance. he's ready to play at center. if Jacobson's ready to play at center, TKR isn't going to be his back-up. Furst is.

and look at the 3 position at Purdue. when was the last time Painter used a true forward to play the 3 at Purdue.

it's rather clear if Catchings wants to play in the NBA, and really isn't that interested in obtaining a college degree, what course he would pursue.

I've said multiple times, Catchings isn't going to be a one and done if he plays the 4 at Purdue because there wouldn't be enough minutes for him to show case his tlents.

Catchings picked a very odd time to decommit. Before doing so, he talked to Painter on the phone. after that conversation, he decommitted. It's logical to assume that conversation was not about Bruno's pizza.

I'm sorry, I'm not a Purdue engineer. Rather than an in the box thinker, I'm an out of the box thinker. and I'm usually way out in space, but usually 95% right. I examine different pieces of data and draw conclusions. I'm sorry my conclusions are different than yours.

if you don't like my conclusion, do you have one of your own ? I'd sure like to read it, unless it's the same stuff 100 people before you already posted.

I guess you don't like and appreciate the viewpoints of people who are different than you. there is a word to describe that. it's called being narrow mined. Harry chapin wrote a song about that. it's called Flowers are red.
95%!? It’s like the joke that 29% of all percentages are made up!

I think even within your post you aren’t 50% accurate!

The traditional back to basket 4 is a dying post position in college and the nba. I’ve seen some teams where kanon would be the tallest player in starting lineup in the NBA.

VE and RH were traditional 3s at Purdue and played both 3/4 depending on our roster makeup. We have played TKR and Biggie at 4 for same reason. Your narrative that paint won’t adjust playing to align with roster is complete nonsense.

But most teams play a wing at the 3 like Purdue typically does. It’s not a painter thing but standard in both college and the pros.

And your statements on timing of decommitment are in conflict with what was reported from someone with 2nd hand knowledge not message board speculation. It happened during the planned call, not after it. Some of your comments here are just restating talking points which likely will be true and I’m sure you’ll try to take credit, but some of them were nonsense which you will just disregard when it comes out they are not true. Usually you are under 50%.

Why would that be?
I would say that situation NBA wise would be less national TV exposure & tourney exposure than Purdue.

Not doubting you, that choice seems ??? But with teens, could be I guess....
Obviously he wants to go to a program where he is showcased immediately. I could see Catchings playing for a team where he is the star showing off his talent to the NBA but the over all team not being that great. If true he was never going to fit in at Purdue. AJ Storr left Wisconsin after one year. He was one of the most talented transfer's in the Big 10 last season and it didn't work out. Wisconsin program is similar to Purdue in team philosophy.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Does BYU still have strict rules about alcohol and sex for all students/athletes? Didn't they kick one of their best players off the team several years ago for touching a boob or something? They gonna bend their rules or are all these NIL money grabbers going to put on the magic undies and refrain from sin while there?

Does BYU still have strict rules about alcohol and sex for all students/athletes? Didn't they kick one of their best players off the team several years ago for touching a boob or something? They gonna bend their rules or are all these NIL money grabbers going to put on the magic undies and refrain from sin while there?
They already have...."Money is the root of all evil"

Yes, yes and yes it seems that way. It’ll only take a player or two who is non Mormon to break one of the code of conduct rules and then high profile guys won’t go there anymore, regardless of money.

If the players aren’t Mormon, they need to be focused on basketball and only basketball because there’s not a lot of things for them to do outside of basketball there, unless of course, they like the outdoors—which Utah is beautiful.

Why would that be?
I would say that situation NBA wise would be less national TV exposure & tourney exposure than Purdue.

Not doubting you, that choice seems ??? But with teens, could be I guess....
if that would happen, he could always use the stock line "god has different plans for me"

Yes, yes and yes it seems that way. It’ll only take a player or two who is non Mormon to break one of the code of conduct rules and then high profile guys won’t go there anymore, regardless of money.

If the players aren’t Mormon, they need to be focused on basketball and only basketball because there’s not a lot of things for them to do outside of basketball there, unless of course, they like the outdoors—which Utah is beautiful.
I remember stories about Jim McMahon being a big beer drinker, and the university not knowing what to do with the 2X All-American. McMahon would laugh when telling the stories. BYU honored him by retiring his jersey.

in chemistry 116, i reached conclusions based on the data presented. in one experiment my conclusions were totally off base, and the rest of the class had the correct textbook answer. that was until the following week whenit was discovered that that the acid used was the wrong dilution, and my answer was the only correct answer, and the rest of the class just gave the expected answer based on what their cheat sheets and former students told them was the right answer. the majority of the posters here sound exactly like my fellow chemistry 116 classmates. you don't think outside the box. you just repeat what some guy like brian told you. rather than taking eerything at face value, i look for the things that are not said.
I can't get this time back, muted.

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerAndy
I remember stories about Jim McMahon being a big beer drinker, and the university not knowing what to do with the 2X All-American. McMahon would laugh when telling the stories. BYU honored him by retiring his jersey.
Well they kicked one of their best players off their team right before the NCAAT for getting a girl pregnant out of wedlock…but seems like a new coaching staff so they could bend the rules for sure for high profile players.

I remember McMahon talked about sneeking beer into his dormitory. This whole issue is over blown. Do you think for example all Notre Dame athletes are Catholic? That BYU Athletes are all Mormons?

• Love
Reactions: northside100
I remember McMahon talked about sneeking beer into his dormitory. This whole issue is over blown. Do you think for example all Notre Dame athletes are Catholic? That BYU Athletes are all Mormons?
Does Notre Dame make their athletes sign an honor code, and then kick them out if they violate the code?

Reactions: pboiler18
What excuse? It’s a real thing at byu…not sure why you don’t believe it?

Speculation he’s staying at overtime elite and never was interested in college and wavered on it consistently.

Also you couldn’t wait to get here to post on this… you are a leach. Based on what we know now he is the one that needed to go and Purdue could have gotten him to stay even without a guarantee for playing time but was ready to move on with the other 13…
I don't think HE ever wanted to go to Purdue. I think mommy wanted him to. Could be good for Purdue and also good for Catchings to go elsewhere. It also can hurt Purdues ceiling as well. I don't think Purdue fans should have any ill will toward the kid.

I don't think HE ever wanted to go to Purdue. I think mommy wanted him to. Could be good for Purdue and also good for Catchings to go elsewhere. It also can hurt Purdues ceiling as well. I don't think Purdue fans should have any ill will toward the kid.
What was the ceiling? Potential F4 if he got hot? I am not sure he would have lifted us up that much more if he had stayed.

I have thought if we can get to the S16 in Indy and be top 3/have a 3 peat in the B1G, then that’s a successful season for this team this year post Zach. So I guess with him, it was more than likely we do those things, but without him, obviously theyre tougher but those are certainly obtainable.

I believe next year (25-26) is where Purdue can be a serious contender and IF Catchings was at Purdue another year, he easily made us a front runner for the NC. Now that he’s not going to be a part of the team, and if we keep everyone, I still think we can contend for an NC again. A F4 is, for me, expectations next year (if everyone is back) and I think they can do it with those returning pieces.

Just a small correction. Money is not the root of all evil. Nothing wrong with money. It is the love of money that is a root of all kinds of evil.
Take money out of the equation and there's no love (temptation). I kindly disagree......

Last edited:
What was the ceiling? Potential F4 if he got hot? I am not sure he would have lifted us up that much more if he had stayed.

I have thought if we can get to the S16 in Indy and be top 3/have a 3 peat in the B1G, then that’s a successful season for this team this year post Zach. So I guess with him, it was more than likely we do those things, but without him, obviously theyre tougher but those are certainly obtainable.

I believe next year (25-26) is where Purdue can be a serious contender and IF Catchings was at Purdue another year, he easily made us a front runner for the NC. Now that he’s not going to be a part of the team, and if we keep everyone, I still think we can contend for an NC again. A F4 is, for me, expectations next year (if everyone is back) and I think they can do it with those returning pieces.
Hard to say really. But Catchings, even as a freshman, would give something Purdue doesn't have right now at the 3/4 spot, which is a lengthy, athletic 3-level scorer. A big change from a Loyer. Not that Heide couldn't, but as of now he's not shown he has a scorers mentality, though he seems to be a great athlete. Smith and TKR will really need there to be another threat from the perimeter that can take someone off the bounce. Without Edey, there isn't a safety valve anymore(at least nowhere near that level). I do think Purdue will still be good. I think they'll be on the level Marquette was this past season. And the ceiling may not have changed much at all. But I think Purdues ceiling right now is 1st round upset/2nd round(a long with every other team in the B1G).

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
in chemistry 116, i reached conclusions based on the data presented. in one experiment my conclusions were totally off base, and the rest of the class had the correct textbook answer. that was until the following week whenit was discovered that that the acid used was the wrong dilution, and my answer was the only correct answer, and the rest of the class just gave the expected answer based on what their cheat sheets and former students told them was the right answer. the majority of the posters here sound exactly like my fellow chemistry 116 classmates. you don't think outside the box. you just repeat what some guy like brian told you. rather than taking eerything at face value, i look for the things that are not said.
Are those things in the room with you right now?

Hard to say really. But Catchings, even as a freshman, would give something Purdue doesn't have right now at the 3/4 spot, which is a lengthy, athletic 3-level scorer. A big change from a Loyer. Not that Heide couldn't, but as of now he's not shown he has a scorers mentality, though he seems to be a great athlete. Smith and TKR will really need there to be another threat from the perimeter that can take someone off the bounce. Without Edey, there isn't a safety valve anymore(at least nowhere near that level). I do think Purdue will still be good. I think they'll be on the level Marquette was this past season. And the ceiling may not have changed much at all. But I think Purdues ceiling right now is 1st round upset/2nd round(a long with every other team in the B1G).
So maybe a sweet 16, using your evaluation, in exchange for:

A guy not likely to stay a second season
Disruption in the development of Colvin and Heide (at least one if not both)
Likely team chemistry disruption from a player likely to be unhappy at some point in the season

Pass

Likely team chemistry disruption from a player likely to be unhappy at some point in the season

Pass
That’s what I was getting at. Nicely summarized haha.

Could help our ceiling as well. If a player chooses to be here for only personal gratification then Purdue should pass.....correct? CMP wants program players to buy into what he's selling. If you don't believe in CMP or Purdue then go another route.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

Pass
Yeh, I can't believe the hype about this kid that wasn't going to even start on this team in all likelyhood. Make this team better in 1 season?? While sitting Colvin and Heide behind him? I'd bet large against that happening if he had stayed. Not even touching that he's not physically ready to be a difference maker.

Yeh, I can't believe the hype about this kid that wasn't going to even start on this team in all likelyhood. Make this team better in 1 season?? While sitting Colvin and Heide behind him? I'd bet large against that happening if he had stayed. Not even touching that he's not physically ready to be a difference maker.
Look, he was going to be a good, if not a great piece on the team and would have definitely helped to *potentially * get back to the F4 this year (that was going to be/is tough). And yes without him, right now on paper, it doesn’t look like Purdue has someone that can replicate his skill set. But I don’t think a majority of us thought/expected a F4 THIS year. It was the following year and who knows if he had even stayed the second year.

Now, if he had been Cooper Flagg, then I would have expected a F4 with this team. And I 100% would have melted down if Flagg did what catchings did 3 days before practice. 😂

I’m sticking with a 3 peat (ok top 3 finish in B1G) and S16 in Indy as my expectation for this years team. Next years absolutely waaaaay too early expectations? F4 (if everyone is back).

Reactions: Poprudy
Oh he definitely would have started. I'm sorry but the idea that a near five star player who is on NBA first round draft boards next season was going to sit the bench and not make the team better isn't realistic.

But he wasn't going to be SO good that he single handedly brought us to the final four. And he likely doesn't stay a second season. Now maybe if he was get us to final four good you say ok to the negatives he brings, but he wasn't so you don't.

Pass
Maybe a Sweet 16? That's like the absolute highest ceiling for Purdue, Indiana and Illinois. Like peak peak ceiling. A+ season. But with Catchings, 2nd round/sweet 16? Maybe like a round better in the NCAAs, if Catchings lived to any amount of hype. The best things that could have happened for Purdue would be Colvin overtaking Loyer and Catchings having stayed. But as of now, it's Colvin or Heide being able to step up at the 3 spot and become a 3 level scorer and wing defender.

Maybe a Sweet 16? That's like the absolute highest ceiling for Purdue, Indiana and Illinois. Like peak peak ceiling. A+ season. But with Catchings, 2nd round/sweet 16? Maybe like a round better in the NCAAs, if Catchings lived to any amount of hype. The best things that could have happened for Purdue would be Colvin overtaking Loyer and Catchings having stayed. But as of now, it's Colvin or Heide being able to step up at the 3 spot and become a 3 level scorer and wing defender.
I think Berg and Jacobson will have more of an impact than people realize. Unleash the Berg!

Oh he definitely would have started. I'm sorry but the idea that a near five star player who is on NBA first round draft boards next season was going to sit the bench and not make the team better isn't realistic.

But he wasn't going to be SO good that he single handedly brought us to the final four. And he likely doesn't stay a second season. Now maybe if he was get us to final four good you say ok to the negatives he brings, but he wasn't so you don't.
I don't disagree but it also depends as 247 has him 18 spots a way from being a 5 star. You could also say CH has the potential to blow-up in his 3rd year in the system because pre-injury he was higher ranked then KC ever was at 23.

Yes, most of this is personal speculation but CH has made strides and i'm not sure CMP would have started a freshman over a 3rd year player. We have talent at the PF position already. I'm just not sure he starts on this team in November but maybe later in the season.

I think Berg and Jacobson will have more of an impact than people realize. Unleash the Berg!
Iceberg Newfoundland GIF

angry futurama GIF

I think it's unlikely that Berg AND Jacobson have a large impact. Since they play the same spot and role and have to share that with TKR.

Certainly one or the other could, but I think it unlikely both do. Someone will win out and that person will carve out the minutes at the five (IMO behind TKR in sort of an Edey as frosh/soph role).

I don't disagree but it also depends as 247 has him 18 spots a way from being a 5 star. You could also say CH has the potential to blow-up in his 3rd year in the system because pre-injury he was higher ranked then KC ever was at 23.

Yes, most of this is personal speculation but CH has made strides and i'm not sure CMP would have started a freshman over a 3rd year player. We have talent at the PF position already. I'm just not sure he starts on this team in November but maybe later in the season.
I don't know that it's Heide he starts over. I would have predicted a TKR Catchings Heide Smith starting lineup with Loyer and Colvin fighting for the last starting spot, and the other still getting at least 20 minutes a game if not effectively co-starter.

Maybe but those two are more of a Haarms impact than an Edey. Not that Haarms wasn't good, but it's easier to deal with a thin 7-3 and Edey.

Will berg has been at purdue how long he has gone up in practice against edey and painter his self has said berg is ready to play minutes at purdue

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Colvin and Heide have much better chances of becoming "that" guy than KC has THIS year.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Maybe but those two are more of a Haarms impact than an Edey. Not that Haarms wasn't good, but it's easier to deal with a thin 7-3 and Edey.
Agreed, but then Zach wasnt' ZACH as a freshman either. He was big but lumbering and not nearly as strong. He came a long way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT