ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings Reopens Recruitment

I think it’s more about the position than the playing time. I believe he wants to play the 3 rather than the 4. And in his conversation with Painter, painter told him he plans to stick with using guards at the three and he was going to have to share the 4 with Tkr and Jacobson will start at the 5.

The timing of this seems to coincide with Jacobson’s recent success at the under 19 games. With Jacobson’s increased playing time, tkr remains at the 4. And Catchings loses out.

I personally would have liked Catchings to start at the three. But that doesn’t look like painter’s plan.

And thus Catchings says, I’m outta here.

Would it have been so bad if painter changed his offense to have a real forward? I guess if he did, Myles and Harris would be upset and leave
Where do you come up with this stuff? You have no clue nor do the rest of us why he left. He previously decommitted and his family nipped it in the bud. I think it’s sad and am disappointed he’s not coming but not terribly surprised. I am pretty sure he knows he could play 2-4. If he was wanting guarantees, Painter was most likely brutally honest and told him no that he’d have to earn his time and take advantage of the opportunity and he didn’t like what he heard. I am afraid that this might not be a great decision for him this close to practices starting and team’s not necessarily being willing to make guarantees with their rosters being constructed already.

Where do you come up with this stuff? You have no clue nor do the rest of us why he left. He previously decommitted and his family nipped it in the bud. I think it’s sad and am disappointed he’s not coming but not terribly surprised. I am pretty sure he knows he could play 2-4. If he was wanting guarantees, Painter was most likely brutally honest and told him no that he’d have to earn his time and take advantage of the opportunity and he didn’t like what he heard. I am afraid that this might not be a great decision for him this close to practices starting and team’s not necessarily being willing to make guarantees with their rosters being constructed already.
Agreed. Unfortunately, there will be a few coaches willing to lie and say they have a guaranteed starting position for him, just to get him to play on their team. What happens after that…

It was all about the money from what I’ve heard. He’s already got a team in mind but going to make it look like he doest’t

Yea, I think that too. $$$$

I don't buy the coach conversation didn't go well. Like these two just finally talked......lol
😎

If you know where, you may be related.....

Last edited:
I use my brain, rather than saying what everyone else has already said. duh ! it's easy just to echo what the majority here say. it takes intelligence and a brain to think of other possibilities.

one rumor several months ago was catchings was thinking about playing in a developmental league instead of going to college. then his parents squashed that rumor.

Look at Catchings. he's not a 4. he's a 3 in the NBA. and that's where he wants to be rather than doing an engineering internship.

Look at jacobson's recent performance. he's ready to play at center. if Jacobson's ready to play at center, TKR isn't going to be his back-up. Furst is.

and look at the 3 position at Purdue. when was the last time Painter used a true forward to play the 3 at Purdue.

it's rather clear if Catchings wants to play in the NBA, and really isn't that interested in obtaining a college degree, what course he would pursue.

I've said multiple times, Catchings isn't going to be a one and done if he plays the 4 at Purdue because there wouldn't be enough minutes for him to show case his tlents.

Catchings picked a very odd time to decommit. Before doing so, he talked to Painter on the phone. after that conversation, he decommitted. It's logical to assume that conversation was not about Bruno's pizza.

I'm sorry, I'm not a Purdue engineer. Rather than an in the box thinker, I'm an out of the box thinker. and I'm usually way out in space, but usually 95% right. I examine different pieces of data and draw conclusions. I'm sorry my conclusions are different than yours.

if you don't like my conclusion, do you have one of your own ? I'd sure like to read it, unless it's the same stuff 100 people before you already posted.

I guess you don't like and appreciate the viewpoints of people who are different than you. there is a word to describe that. it's called being narrow mined. Harry chapin wrote a song about that. it's called Flowers are red.

I use my brain, rather than saying what everyone else has already said. duh ! it's easy just to echo what the majority here say. it takes intelligence and a brain to think of other possibilities.

one rumor several months ago was catchings was thinking about playing in a developmental league instead of going to college. then his parents squashed that rumor.

Look at Catchings. he's not a 4. he's a 3 in the NBA. and that's where he wants to be rather than doing an engineering internship.

Look at jacobson's recent performance. he's ready to play at center. if Jacobson's ready to play at center, TKR isn't going to be his back-up. Furst is.

and look at the 3 position at Purdue. when was the last time Painter used a true forward to play the 3 at Purdue.

it's rather clear if Catchings wants to play in the NBA, and really isn't that interested in obtaining a college degree, what course he would pursue.

I've said multiple times, Catchings isn't going to be a one and done if he plays the 4 at Purdue because there wouldn't be enough minutes for him to show case his tlents.

Catchings picked a very odd time to decommit. Before doing so, he talked to Painter on the phone. after that conversation, he decommitted. It's logical to assume that conversation was not about Bruno's pizza.

I'm sorry, I'm not a Purdue engineer. Rather than an in the box thinker, I'm an out of the box thinker. and I'm usually way out in space, but usually 95% right. I examine different pieces of data and draw conclusions. I'm sorry my conclusions are different than yours.

if you don't like my conclusion, do you have one of your own ? I'd sure like to read it, unless it's the same stuff 100 people before you already posted.

I guess you don't like and appreciate the viewpoints of people who are different than you. there is a word to describe that. it's called being narrow mined. Harry chapin wrote a song about that. it's called Flowers are red.
in chemistry 116, i reached conclusions based on the data presented. in one experiment my conclusions were totally off base, and the rest of the class had the correct textbook answer. that was until the following week whenit was discovered that that the acid used was the wrong dilution, and my answer was the only correct answer, and the rest of the class just gave the expected answer based on what their cheat sheets and former students told them was the right answer. the majority of the posters here sound exactly like my fellow chemistry 116 classmates. you don't think outside the box. you just repeat what some guy like brian told you. rather than taking eerything at face value, i look for the things that are not said.

• Haha
Reactions: Heads up BOILER

WOW! 95%huh?🤔 that’s batshit crazy talk right there! It is good I guess that you have such a high opinion of yourself but it also explains why you get so hurt at any criticism you always feel is aimed towards you.
I don’t disagree that Catchings would have played the 3 as well as the 4. I think it would be his best position.
I’m not 100% sure the starting role was his to just walk into. There’s a plethora of really talented options, he’d need to prove himself the best fit. He’d get plenty of time even if he didn’t start.
I completely disagree that Jacobsen is the starting 5. He’s playing well and is a good rim protector but I don’t believe he’s ready to be the starting 5 in the B1G currently. Hes gonna be great before it’s all said and done but not “the guy” immediately.
I’d wager that TKR is the starter at the 5 and likely remains so most of the year unless Berg shows out and can’t be left sitting on the bench. TKR is a natural 5 and feels comfortable at the 5 per his own statement.
I read all of your posts, and can assure you that historically you are not correct 95% of the time when comparing how your takes compare with what actually eventually happens. You often end up editing your takes in responses trying to make them look better. I appreciate everyone’s right to an opinion but don’t feel so sure that yours are always right 🤷🏼‍♂️! Your deductive reasoning leads to some pretty crazy comments/conclusions on this page. Oh well, it is what it is.

Two or three Purdue obsessed Indinia fans are melting down over this. It’s the only activity on their board, as was the case all season long. The DMs are flying, including quite a few alleging that Woodson has been tampering with Catchings for months trying to get him to Methington and his rent-a-team, where it’s hoops, checks and positively no academic pressure whatsoever.

Two or three Purdue obsessed Indinia fans are melting down over this. It’s the only activity on their board, as was the case all season long. The DMs are flying, including quite a few alleging that Woodson has been tampering with Catchings for months trying to get him to Methington and his rent-a-team, where it’s hoops, checks and positively no academic pressure whatsoever.
He goes to Bloomington, that team is blown up for the following year. Catchings won’t start on that team and if he does, transfers on that team that were promised playing time are going to be really upset and guys like Galloway who have been loyal won’t get to play much at all. Maybe he won’t care, but it’ll mess up that locker room. I don’t think he’s going there though.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Out of spite...Catchings best move would be to IU. That would really hurt us...he would probably bring his A-game in the two matchups. I agree Catchings needs 2-years of college ball to develop his body. Too thin right now for the NBA...

He goes to Bloomington, that team is blown up for the following year. Catchings won’t start on that team and if he does, transfers on that team that were promised playing time are going to be really upset and guys like Galloway who have been loyal won’t get to play much at all. Maybe he won’t care, but it’ll mess up that locker room. I don’t think he’s going there though.
It’s a rent-a-team where the players are already running the locker room, so he wouldn’t be any more welcome there than he would’ve been in WL. He would’ve probably enjoyed the academic lite approach that comes with turning the team over every year, as well as the total focus on basketball and not having to be in class much or even a part of the general student population. There’s is a mercenary culture in a declining fan base.

BYU!
His OTE coach joined the coaching staff there and they’re throwing lots of money 💰 around getting players and he likely can have a big featured role there. The timing of his coach going there and this decommit are interesting (coincidence?). sleepers had a short episode on it yesterday. It makes sense but at this point just speculation.

BYU!
His OTE coach joined the coaching staff there and they’re throwing lots of money 💰 around getting players and he likely can have a big featured role there. The timing of his coach going there and this decommit are interesting (coincidence?). sleepers had a short episode on it yesterday. It makes sense but at this point just speculation.
If he goes to byu…we have a chance to play him In San Diego haha

Ga Tech has scholarships open. Kansas St may have one. Initially thought it would be MSU, Izzo filled roster earlier this week. Would not be surprised if he goes G-league.

Ga Tech has scholarships open. Kansas St may have one. Initially thought it would be MSU, Izzo filled roster earlier this week. Would not be surprised if he goes G-league.
I think he may stay in OTE too and get more $$$ there. Guys had reported they were making 650-1M and doesn’t really have to deal with school

I think it’s more about the position than the playing time. I believe he wants to play the 3 rather than the 4. And in his conversation with Painter, painter told him he plans to stick with using guards at the three and he was going to have to share the 4 with Tkr and Jacobson will start at the 5.

The timing of this seems to coincide with Jacobson’s recent success at the under 19 games. With Jacobson’s increased playing time, tkr remains at the 4. And Catchings loses out.

I personally would have liked Catchings to start at the three. But that doesn’t look like painter’s plan.

Would it have been so bad if painter changed his offense to have a real forward? I guess if he did, Myles and Harris would be upset and leave
Is this you being brave again? lol. Laying a line of B.S. on the board with absolutely no foundation in truth is is not showing courage. In fact, it's cowardly. You anonymously and publicly blame Painter with no knowledge of his plans, Catching's motives, or what was said between them.

You’re making that up, you shouldn’t do that to an 18 year old kid, starting rumors. Listen to the facts. Nothing to do with pain not changing his offense. Also the experts are saying he was not going to start, not because of paint but because he wasn’t ready. Some may speculate here that was the reason he left, but listen to the G&B podcast from yesterday and you can probably stop guessing (or making crap up like in your case).

There is speculation he’s not going to another college he will stay at overtime elite

Out of spite...Catchings best move would be to IU. That would really hurt us...he would probably bring his A-game in the two matchups. I agree Catchings needs 2-years of college ball to develop his body. Too thin right now for the NBA...
He would likely by third on depth chart behind Mgbako

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Stings a little right? But that puts Purdue even on scholarships. Not the one that needed to go though. Will be interesting to see where he ends up(won't be Indiana). Notre Dame?
Speculation he’s staying at overtime elite and never was interested in college and wavered on it consistently.

Also you couldn’t wait to get here to post on this… you are a leach. Based on what we know now he is the one that needed to go and Purdue could have gotten him to stay even without a guarantee for playing time but was ready to move on with the other 13…

Well darn. Not completely surprising given the rumors a few months ago. Wonder why. Lack of NIL money? Playing time? It stings but it’s not the end of the world still gonna be good and got good players in the program.
I don't follow this recruiting issue stuff closely. But a relative who is a Purdue Grad does and here is what he told me regarding Catching: First Catching has some immaturity/anger issues. This is in no way a shot at him. He is 18 but has had instances of getting techs in High School Basketball. Just trying to lay out some 18 year old's are more mature than other's. The way he decommitted is an example of this right before camp started. Catching went to Overtime Elite because he had issues with school and it was felt OT Elite tutoring approach was a better fit.

Catching's parents liked how Painter and the staff handled/recruited him. To avoid the cess pool of College Basketball recruiting Catching's parents encouraged him to commit to Purdue early on which he did. His parents and family sound first class and wanted Catching to go to Purdue because they thought this was what was best for him. IN the end Catching disagreed which he is 18 and an adult. Last Summer Catching actually decommitted from Purdue without telling his family. His family called Painter back and the family and Kanon patched things up with Painter. Thus he was back as a Boiler.

Recently Catching and Colvin discussed sharing a house on Purdue Campus which shows how close he was at going forward with plans to play at Purdue. Playing for Overtime Elite seems to have also been a factor. Catching has played very well and thinks he is a one and done which doesn't mesh with Painter's philosophy. Living and playing with the talent on Overtime Elite Catching saw what he was missing out on and wants to be catered to like alot of these high level player's are in today's college basketball landscape.

In the decommitment phone call Catching asked Painter for $ & Playing Time guarantees which Painter wouldn't provide. According to the host on "Sleeper Media" Purdue's NIL is setup more as a Team NIL which provides NIL money out as a team payout rather than giving an individual player a bag of cash.

As mentioned the fact Painter had too many player's for scholarships shows how much he doubted Catching would ever play at Purdue. Also can't blame Catching as it looks like his family was trying to do best for him but he disagreed after getting a taste of the Basket Ball world and Catching wants to do his own thing.

In the end this was just a bad fit for Purdue/Catching . It doesn't sound like Catching would have been happy playing for Purdue and this could have lead to issues in the locker room. I always like John Calipari's comment on team chemistry. Calipari said "you can have a nice big bowl of ice cream and one piece of poop in the bowl and the entire bowl of ice cream is ruined." LOL in hindsight it would have been better if Catching had just decommitted last summer as he originally wanted to do.

Speculation he’s staying at overtime elite and never was interested in college and wavered on it consistently.

Also you couldn’t wait to get here to post on this… you are a leach. Based on what we know now he is the one that needed to go and Purdue could have gotten him to stay even without a guarantee for playing time but was ready to move on with the other 13…
His OTE coach became assistant at BYU a few days ago…Catchings asked for his release on phone call with Painter…BYU offering big money 💰 to sign recruits…Head coach has fresh NBA ties.. less competition for early playing time and a bigger role…scheduled visit with BYU today… ( also tentatively to visit Florida State and TN, he won’t likely walk into immediate role at TN either)

Coincidence?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I may still get to root for Catchings…he was last seen leaving West Lafayette doing the Tomahawk Chop!
I have seen your posts very critical in Painter's handling of Catching. IF you read my above post and it sounds close to the truth. Painter bent over backwards for Catching. He allegedly decommitted last summer and the family and Painter got back together and patched things up. Painter over offered scholarships not convinced Catching was coming. If Catching had enrolled one of the other player's was going to lose his scholarship. Painter was willing to throw a player over board and deal with the fallout later to bring in Catching's. So Painter went to the wall and at end of day Painter is not going to change his entire team philosophy at the expense for one player. Especially if he is THAT good was only going to play at Purdue for one year.

Talk about hype you and some other's act like Catching is the next Kevin Durant. Pleaseeeee... I am sure he is a very good player but he was not even ranked in the top 10. Biggie was ranked around #11 when he played at Purdue. Biggie decommitted from Michigan State and Michigan State survived. I wish the kid well and hope he made the right decision for himself. It sucks losing a talent like that but it also looks like their could have been team issues.

I come away impressed with Myles Colvin. Colvin was highly recruited showing flashes and got bench minutes last year. Colvin will be a key piece next year and he showed a maturity that Catching seems to lack about his situation.

Never even got to campus but I’m glad you may be able to root for a team that has 43 total wins in the last 3 seasons.
I don't get what this seminole's issue is... As I posted from what I heard Catching's committed early because his family liked the Purdue program and thought it was best for him. I agree and I think the family is right. But as we all know you can't tell a teenager what is best for him. He is an adult and didn't want to play at Purdue. Matt also looks like he did bend over backwards to get this kid to come to Purdue. Matt is rightly not going to change his entire team philosophy to get what could only be a one and done kid. I hope he goes to BYU which has a decent program as I am curious how it works out there with Catching's.

I don't get what this seminole's issue is... As I posted from what I heard Catching's committed early because his family liked the Purdue program and thought it was best for him. I agree and I think the family is right. But as we all know you can't tell a teenager what is best for him. He is an adult and didn't want to play at Purdue. Matt also looks like he did bend over backwards to get this kid to come to Purdue. Matt is rightly not going to change his entire team philosophy to get what could only be a one and done kid. I hope he goes to BYU which has a decent program as I am curious how it works out there with Catching's.
Not sure tbh. I think (speculating) Catchings had some ppl chirping in his ear about how much he could actually make and probably that Purdue wouldn’t “showcase” his talents. So wouldn’t be surprised if he goes back to OTE…and get paid more money now that he isn’t going th college route and not have to deal with the school part too (don’t blame him there). Although OTE is a trash league and his development wouldn’t happen like it needs to so, agree with you on him at least somewhere he can excel.

If I were a betting man I’d put pretty good odds on a Catchings commitment to BYU soon after his Tuesday visit

Why would that be?
I would say that situation NBA wise would be less national TV exposure & tourney exposure than Purdue.

Not doubting you, that choice seems ??? But with teens, could be I guess....

Why would that be?
I would say that situation NBA wise would be less national TV exposure & tourney exposure than Purdue.

Not doubting you, that choice seems ??? But with teen, could be I guess....
His OTE coach just got hired there and byu has been spending that Mormon church money left and right in the transfer portal

Reactions: oldboiler52
Why would that be?

Not doubting you, that choice seems ??? But with teens, could be I guess....
He has already scheduled a visit for Tuesday I believe. His coach from OTE started as assistant coach there I believe the day before Catchings asked for his release. Their new head coach, Kevin Young just came from the NBA & so is touting his connections. They’re handling out big money 💰 evidently in filling their roster. He’d have a much greater chance at a starting and featured role with their roster makeup. They even just had the #1 recruit in 2025 class take an official visit rumored to be because of 💰💰💰

I know you like to think of yourself as an outside the box thinker and that’s cool, but your statement about being 95% right is absurdly inaccurate. You make interesting points at times, but your takes are way off far more often than you’re right.

He has already scheduled a visit for Tuesday I believe. His coach from OTE started as assistant coach there I believe the day before Catchings asked for his release. Their new head coach, Kevin Young just came from the NBA & so is touting his connections. They’re handling out big money 💰 evidently in filling their roster. He’d have a much greater chance at a starting and featured role with their roster makeup. They even just had the #1 recruit in 2025 class take an official visit rumored to be because of 💰💰💰

Fits my $$ theory too. The added NBA connections make it a strong possibility. Had no idea about byu. Thanks for the info.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT