ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings Reopens Recruitment

Colvin is a guard, Heide can play guard, Harris is a 4 star recruit guard, plus several others.

We have a minimum of four high level guards. No one is predicting final four this season. But the idea that the only talented guard on the team is Smith is silliness.
And I've said that Purdues best scenario is Colvin passing Loyer.

When you no longer have a 7-3, 300 lb NPOY to offset things, you have to change. You can drive and dish, but your dish has to be more precise because now you're throwing it to Furst and TKR more often and not Edey. When you're shooting, you can't just throw it up(which he did less last season than as a freshman) and know Edey has a good shot at getting it or getting an offensive rebound. It's the same for Painter as his system will have to change. It'll just be completely different and being blind to how that is is dismissing how good Edey was and how much gravity he had on the court.
CMP is not changing his system.....never has...never will. Players adapt to their particular roles. Smith was a precise passer anyways and won't need to change that passing. Smith isn't going to develop any sloppy habits based on who is on the court. You're selling Smith, Loyer, CMP and this team short because you lack basketball knowledge. CMP just puts a good/great product on the court every year and IU fans hate they can't say the same.

We get it! You'll change your narrative/agenda to make it seem reasonable but we know your just digging.

Last edited:
And I've said that Purdues best scenario is Colvin passing Loyer.
This board has been dreaming of that for a long time. But unless a big miraculously earns the starting 5 spot, the reality is that both Loyer and Colvin both are almost certainly starting.

When you no longer have a 7-3, 300 lb NPOY to offset things, you have to change. You can drive and dish, but your dish has to be more precise because now you're throwing it to Furst and TKR more often and not Edey. When you're shooting, you can't just throw it up(which he did less last season than as a freshman) and know Edey has a good shot at getting it or getting an offensive rebound. It's the same for Painter as his system will have to change. It'll just be completely different and being blind to how that is is dismissing how good Edey was and how much gravity he had on the court.
A lot this is semantics. I view "system" as an all-encompassing way that Painter runs the program. That will not change. Certainly CMP will change the offensive approach, as he has every year based on where the scoring and rebounding will come from. Myles was asked about this in his interview after practice yesterday. He said the offensive approach will evolve over the next several months as they practice together. We all have our opinions about what that will look like in November and beyond. Therefore, reading other's opinions is interesting.

A lot this is semantics. I view "system" as an all-encompassing way that Painter runs the program. That will not change. Certainly CMP will change the offensive approach, as he has every year based on where the scoring and rebounding will come from. Myles was asked about this in his interview after practice yesterday. He said the offensive approach will evolve over the next several months as they practice together. We all have our opinions about what that will look like in November and beyond. Therefore, reading other's opinions is interesting.
I'd say system as in, Purdue won't be feeding the post at the same rate and Smith likely becomes the #1 option, unless TKR makes some massive strides. That's a much bigger shift than people think. And it isn't a bad thing. Just a coach adjusting to the roster he has and its strengths. And I've said it before, I think this Purdue team will be on the same level as this past year's Marquette team was. Just Braden Smith instead of Tyler Kolek. Will Smith be an All-American? I don't know but I won't be surprised to see Purdue sitting around the 10-20 area most of the year.

Reactions: wallyboiler79
I'd say system as in, Purdue won't be feeding the post at the same rate and Smith likely becomes the #1 option, unless TKR makes some massive strides. That's a much bigger shift than people think. And it isn't a bad thing. Just a coach adjusting to the roster he has and its strengths. And I've said it before, I think this Purdue team will be on the same level as this past year's Marquette team was. Just Braden Smith instead of Tyler Kolek. Will Smith be an All-American? I don't know but I won't be surprised to see Purdue sitting around the 10-20 area most of the year.
Marquette is a great comparison, I think it'll take some time to gel like it did for Marquette this past season. They gradually had a steady climb as the year went on guided by a similar player at PG

Reactions: TopicTalk
On the Euro trip last summer when Edey was playing for Team Canada. TKR was Purdue's leading scorer by a fair amount. I think he's most likely to lead Purdue in scoring this season.

On the Euro trip last summer when Edey was playing for Team Canada. TKR was Purdue's leading scorer by a fair amount. I think he's most likely to lead Purdue in scoring this season.
I feel like there will be plenty of games of multiple, different, double digit scores. This team will be very fluid with plenty of scoring opportunities.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
OK. So he'll have to pass to players besides Edey (which he did last year). And he'll have to be more selective with his shooting (you already acknowledged he improved in that area, and BTW Painter wanted him to shoot more -- 43% 3 pt shooting). Not really a change in style. I expected you to say something like he will have to strictly play half-court offense and zone defense. Or that he will become a pass-first point guard and not take his own shots. THAT would be a change in style.

But why get so sensitive when someone simply asks you to elaborate on a brief comment that you make?

OK. So he'll have to pass to players besides Edey (which he did last year). And he'll have to be more selective with his shooting (you already acknowledged he improved in that area, and BTW Painter wanted him to shoot more -- 43% 3 pt shooting). Not really a change in style. I expected you to say something like he will have to strictly play half-court offense and zone defense. Or that he will become a pass-first point guard and not take his own shots. THAT would be a change in style.

But why get so sensitive when someone simply asks you to elaborate on a brief comment that you make?
I'm not getting sensitive. His play style will still have to change. Just naturally, TKR won't have the gravity and reach of Edey. Obviously. I mean how many people even have that in basketball, right? So Smiths style will have to change on the fact he won't have Edey to lean on. It's that way for the whole team but I feel Smith-Edey was far and ahead the #1 combo for Purdue without it really being close. I think Smith will still average 15-16 ppg but it'll be a different life without the big man. To me, it seems Purdue fans are really dismissing how good(and large) Edey was. Losing a player like that hurts. And Purdue won't be able to play that same style and won't have the same kind of safety valve this season. It doesn't take an expert to know throwing it into TKR on the block is way different than Edey. Playing off TKR is going to be way different than Edey. And that's where Smiths game will have to change. From his drives and dish, to his floaters and lob passes. His game will have to be more precise. And it'll be interesting to see as Purdue will have a roster that should be able to contend as the fastest paced team in the country.

I'm not getting sensitive. His play style will still have to change. Just naturally, TKR won't have the gravity and reach of Edey. Obviously. I mean how many people even have that in basketball, right? So Smiths style will have to change on the fact he won't have Edey to lean on. It's that way for the whole team but I feel Smith-Edey was far and ahead the #1 combo for Purdue without it really being close. I think Smith will still average 15-16 ppg but it'll be a different life without the big man. To me, it seems Purdue fans are really dismissing how good(and large) Edey was. Losing a player like that hurts. And Purdue won't be able to play that same style and won't have the same kind of safety valve this season. It doesn't take an expert to know throwing it into TKR on the block is way different than Edey. Playing off TKR is going to be way different than Edey. And that's where Smiths game will have to change. From his drives and dish, to his floaters and lob passes. His game will have to be more precise. And it'll be interesting to see as Purdue will have a roster that should be able to contend as the fastest paced team in the country.

Purdue fans are not dismissing anything! When Edey was a junior IU fans said he was big and slow and could not play a half a game and with their young guards would be doomed from the start, but Purdue ran away with the BT and BTT and IU who was picked to win the BT, failed! Then the next year IU fans made the same claims about Edey having no skills just big with small PG Smith, Purdue was doomed again. but not only ran away with the BT but made it to the final NCAA game! So now that Edey has graduated IU fans all the sudden thinks Edey is great and Purdue is doomed again without himi! Purdue performs and competes, have a history of being the team to beat in the BT for over a century. We know we will miss Edey, but we also know the cupboard is filled with a lot of KNOW talent and a coach who has stocked this team with athletes and shooters. Your problem is you have to repeat the same old IU narrative! YOU shouldn't be surprised to see Purdue 3-peat, lead the country in 3% shooting, and making a deep run in the tournament. And then YOU can tell us how we are doomed again!

Purdue fans are not dismissing anything! When Edey was a junior IU fans said he was big and slow and could not play a half a game and with their young guards would be doomed from the start, but Purdue ran away with the BT and BTT and IU who was picked to win the BT, failed! Then the next year IU fans made the same claims about Edey having no skills just big with small PG Smith, Purdue was doomed again. but not only ran away with the BT but made it to the final NCAA game! So now that Edey has graduated IU fans all the sudden thinks Edey is great and Purdue is doomed again without himi! Purdue performs and competes, have a history of being the team to beat in the BT for over a century. We know we will miss Edey, but we also know the cupboard is filled with a lot of KNOW talent and a coach who has stocked this team with athletes and shooters. Your problem is you have to repeat the same old IU narrative! YOU shouldn't be surprised to see Purdue 3-peat, lead the country in 3% shooting, and making a deep run in the tournament. And then YOU can tell us how we are doomed again!
I'm not sure what "IU fans" has to do with me. I'm one person. I really had zero thought about Edey going into his junior year. Figured Michigan State and Purdue would be the best of the B1G last year(was way off on MSU). I haven't even said Purdue is doomed. Just that they'll look different from the last two seasons. I don't understand why Purdue fans are getting sensitive about someone saying you'll be good.

Still not convinced this lineup is big/physical enough. I like Heide as a small ball 4 but starting and dealing with bigger dudes for long stretches? Ehhh...
Big and physical isn't always the best team. Fast and skilled has won a lot of games.

You define playing style as who he throws the ball to. His #1 target graduated, so he will have to work with other players. Making such an obvious statement does not mean he will have to "change his style".

It seems to bother you that we are not all wringing our hands over the loss of Edey. Your statement that "it seems Purdue fans are really dismissing how good(and large) Edey was" is just silly. You guys were borderline respectable (FINALLY!) TJD's senior year, and when he left, you returned to sucking. He was one of IU's all-time great players. You don't understand why we aren't worried the same will happen without Edey. Purdue was good before Edey (didn't suck), and they will be good after (won't suck).

I remember when Purdue lost Russel Cross to the NBA after his junior year. The conventional wisdom was, without their most dominant player, Purdue would finish in the lower half of the B10. When Glenn Robinson (like Edey, one of the greatest players of all time) left for the NBA, people said the same thing. If you had been around during those times, you would have been saying the same thing you are saying now. But both times, Purdue came back and won the B10. I won't predict that the same will happen after Edey, but I won't be surprised if it does. Purdue will be fine. But thanks for all of your concern for us.

You define playing style as who he throws the ball to. His #1 target graduated, so he will have to work with other players. Making such an obvious statement does not mean he will have to "change his style".

It seems to bother you that we are not all wringing our hands over the loss of Edey. Your statement that "it seems Purdue fans are really dismissing how good(and large) Edey was" is just silly. You guys were borderline respectable (FINALLY!) TJD's senior year, and when he left, you returned to sucking. He was one of IU's all-time great players. You don't understand why we aren't worried the same will happen without Edey. Purdue was good before Edey (didn't suck), and they will be good after (won't suck).

I remember when Purdue lost Russel Cross to the NBA after his junior year. The conventional wisdom was, without their most dominant player, Purdue would finish in the lower half of the B10. When Glenn Robinson (like Edey, one of the greatest players of all time) left for the NBA, people said the same thing. If you had been around during those times, you would have been saying the same thing you are saying now. But both times, Purdue came back and won the B10. I won't predict that the same will happen after Edey, but I won't be surprised if it does. Purdue will be fine. But thanks for all of your concern for us.
Again, when did I say Purdue wasn't going to be good?

Again, when did I say Purdue wasn't going to be good?
You are hoping, obviously. You try to wordsmith your way through, but you are transparent.

But why does it seem to you that "Purdue fans are really dismissing how good(and large) Edey was"? And why does it concern you so?

Do you actually watch basketball?

Smith for an underclassmen, has been spectacular. Anyone who is not sold on him like @TopicTalk needs to watch the last 10 min of @ Illinois.

Out on an island with TSJ guarding him and no Edey in sight, Braden hit 2 deep 3s off the dribble. Cold. Blooded. Put the Illini to bed to win the B1G outright on the road. Go ahead and keep doubting Braden, and he is for sure going to make you look like an idiot again next year. IU fans have been doubting him his whole career. It's baffling they are still do it after being 1st Team All B1G, with 2 B1G titles and a Final 4 under his belt, as a sophomore.

You are hoping, obviously. You try to wordsmith your way through, but you are transparent.

But why does it seem to you that "Purdue fans are really dismissing how good(and large) Edey was"? And why does it concern you so?
I don't hope for Purdue to be bad. Big Ten is best when they are good.

I don't hope for Purdue to be bad. Big Ten is best when they are good.

I don't hope for iu to be bad. Usually don't give them a thought, except when iu losers come here to pester us during their annual summer winning seasons.

Other than an occasional short blip, I just have come very accustomed to them being a poorly managed, poorly coached, also ran, mid pack, nobody.
Sure works for me.

Last edited:
Smith for an underclassmen, has been spectacular. Anyone who is not sold on him like @TopicTalk needs to watch the last 10 min of @ Illinois.

Out on an island with TSJ guarding him and no Edey in sight, Braden hit 2 deep 3s off the dribble. Cold. Blooded. Put the Illini to bed to win the B1G outright on the road. Go ahead and keep doubting Braden, and he is for sure going to make you look like an idiot again next year. IU fans have been doubting him his whole career. It's baffling they are still do it after being 1st Team All B1G, with 2 B1G titles and a Final 4 under his belt, as a sophomore.
They didn't even recruit him, you expect respect from them?
The denial is strong in loosiers.

I don't hope for iu to be bad. Usually don't give them a thought, except when iu losers come here to pester us during their annual summer winning seasons.

Other than an occasional short blip, I just have come very accustomed to them being a poorly managed, poorly coached, also ran, mid pack, nobody.
Sure works for me.
Yea I've gotten used to the same. Cautiously optimistic is the best way to go. Woodson has been as up and down as humanly possible. Finished 10th and an NCAA his first year, 2nd in B1G, 4 seed and 2nd round. Then 6th and no NCAA. This years team? No clue. Looks great on paper sure. But who knows what actually happens. Will depend on the development of Reneau, Mgbako, Rice and Canaan.

It's our best 5. A big is going to have to step up to change that.
You can't always just roll out your "best 5". You at least have to be able to keep guys out of the paint or protect the rim. If Colvin and Heide can't keep guys out of the paint then you would need a Jacobsen type back there. TKR for all his good qualities is not a rim protector. Otherwise you need 2 bigger bodies out there.

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
You can't always just roll out your "best 5". You at least have to be able to keep guys out of the paint or protect the rim. If Colvin and Heide can't keep guys out of the paint then you would need a Jacobsen type back there. TKR for all his good qualities is not a rim protector. Otherwise you need 2 bigger bodies out there.
Gotta have 5 on the court the coach trust the most. At the end of the game(as things sit now), that's likely TKR or Furst at the 5.

Gotta have 5 on the court the coach trust the most. At the end of the game(as things sit now), that's likely TKR or Furst at the 5.
I'm talking about starting and playing major minutes together. Small ball for short stretches and end of game is fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT