ADVERTISEMENT

Carsen to Memphis

Not sure there is a good place for him anywhere in the NBA if he doesn't start to shoot the ball better.
He will at least have an opportunity being out of Boston, as, it was pretty clear that he was not a part of their plans while there, and, moving forward.

To your point though...he needs to take advantage of the opportunity he is being afforded in Memphis and knock down shots, otherwise, his next opportunity is likely going to be somewhere other than the NBA.

He will at least have an opportunity being out of Boston, as, it was pretty clear that he was not a part of their plans while there, and, moving forward.

To your point though...he needs to take advantage of the opportunity he is being afforded in Memphis and knock down shots, otherwise, his next opportunity is likely going to be somewhere other than the NBA.
He'll almost certainly be waived as soon as he can be. But hopefully that'll give him a chance to sign somewhere with a roster spot open.

He'll almost certainly be waived as soon as he can be. But hopefully that'll give him a chance to sign somewhere with a roster spot open.
His contract is guaranteed though. Won’t be waived because that would be pointless.

Lol. Guaranteed salaries aren’t going to keep teams from waiving.

This sounds like Carson was a throw in to make the trade work.
I was not aware of it until looking further into it, but, Memphis now has 18 or 19 guys with guaranteed contracts...so, guys are either going to get moved, or, get waived...and, Carsen is definitely one of the guys facing the prospect of getting moved or getting waived.

Who is Carson?

Hey-O!

carson-open.gif

It’s just seems Memphis deal was meant to nab Dunn. I didn’t look at the salaries.
I was curious if the deal was sweetened for Memphis by the Celtics throwing in Carsen, or if the deal was sweetened for the Celtics by having Memphis take on Carsen's salary.

I'm also trying to understand why Memphis would take on Carsen's guaranteed contract if they intend to waive him. Sounds like a complicated deal.

I was curious if the deal was sweetened for Memphis by the Celtics throwing in Carsen, or if the deal was sweetened for the Celtics by having Memphis take on Carsen's salary.

I'm also trying to understand why Memphis would take on Carsen's guaranteed contract if they intend to waive him. Sounds like a complicated deal.
All NBA contracts are guaranteed, though.

The vast majority are but not all of them. Also, the NBA trade rules on matching salaries and traded player exceptions are also complicated and depend in part on if a team is at or near the salary cap from what I understand.

Looks like this may have been partially a cap move for Memphis as well as continuing its roster moves.....Carsen Edwards could be on the move again, shortly....we shall see.

The vast majority are but not all of them. Also, the NBA trade rules on matching salaries and traded player exceptions are also complicated and depend in part on if a team is at or near the salary cap from what I understand.

Looks like this may have been partially a cap move for Memphis as well as continuing its roster moves.....Carsen Edwards could be on the move again, shortly....we shall see.
Right. I mean Boston only acquired Dunn last month in a trade.

Carsen has always struggled to shoot it in the NBA. He was definitely given plenty of chances by Steven's to show what he had but it just didn't work out. The fact that he even made it to the NBA is a massive accomplishment but, he might have already played his last game in it. Great college player but a guy like ivey is better built to have success in the league.

And that's my point. Why would a team take a player and his guaranteed contract in a deal, with plans to waive him? They are taking him in a trade only to pay him not to be on their team.

Just trying to understand.

And that's my point. Why would a team take a player and his guaranteed contract in a deal, with plans to waive him? They are taking him in a trade only to pay him not to be on their team.

Just trying to understand.
Probably had to take him to satisfy the Celtics. Willing to eat an inexpensive contract to get the deal done. Simple as that.

If he gets cut, I would love to see him get invited to camp with the Pacers. I think he would fit in nicely.

They usually like to take them players with only one year left on a contract then waive them and eat the salary

Carsen has always struggled to shoot it in the NBA. He was definitely given plenty of chances by Steven's to show what he had but it just didn't work out. The fact that he even made it to the NBA is a massive accomplishment but, he might have already played his last game in it. Great college player but a guy like ivey is better built to have success in the league.
I think your right on here. Ivey has better size and athleticism so teams will give him more opportunities to show he can play in the league. He's still going to need to improve his shooting to have a long career but he'll be given every chance to show he belongs.

The problem with Carsen is that shooting was his thing coming into the league and if he's not making shots at high percentage he's really just another undersized shooting guard.

Reactions: ejs1111
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT