ADVERTISEMENT

Surpassed Expectations

Apr 1, 2019
I know it's difficult for Purdue fans (like me) who have been waiting since 1980 for another Final Four appearance and a shot at Purdue's first NCAA men's basketball championship to simply enjoy this season. Despite the fact that if anyone had predicted before the season started that at this point Purdue would be 19-1 and ranked #1 in the country you would have laughed at them or asked for some of what they were smoking/drinking. It's hard not to get caught up in the moment. I'm just hoping that whatever happens the rest of the season, we don't forget to enjoy it for what it is: an unexpected journey-one that is sure to have some downs with all of the ups-but one worth the taking.

Last edited:
I know it's difficult for Purdue fans (like me) who have been waiting since 1980 for another Final Four appearance and a shot at Purdue's first NCAA men's basketball championship to simply enjoy this season. Despite the fact that if anyone had predicted before the season started that at this point Purdue would be 19-1 and ranked #1 in the country you would have laughed at them or asked for some of what they were smoking/drinking. It's hard not to get caught up in the moment. I'm just hoping that whatever happens the rest of the season, we don't forge to enjoy for what it is: an unexpected journey-one that is sure to have some downs with all of the ups-but one worth the taking.
Well said.....been special, cherish the moment.

I predicted a 20 win season and sweet 16. Although many here have criticized Painter in the past, that now seems like an automatic no matter how inexperienced his players are. The plain facts are, Painter is a good coach! Look at the names of the coaches who won 400 games! Painter is one of the 5 best coaches of all time in the BIG 10.

Purdue has had some awesome basketball coaches. I thought Fred Schaus and Lee Rose were great. But Keady and Painter have truly spoiled us. They have been to Purdue basketball what Favre and Rodgers have been to the Packers. And Painter is just reaching his prime!

I know it's difficult for Purdue fans (like me) who have been waiting since 1980 for another Final Four appearance and a shot at Purdue's first NCAA men's basketball championship to simply enjoy this season. Despite the fact that if anyone had predicted before the season started that at this point Purdue would be 19-1 and ranked #1 in the country you would have laughed at them or asked for some of what they were smoking/drinking. It's hard not to get caught up in the moment. I'm just hoping that whatever happens the rest of the season, we don't forget to enjoy it for what it is: an unexpected journey-one that is sure to have some downs with all of the ups-but one worth the taking.
Great post.

Seemed to me last years team was burdened by the final four expectations.

hopefully this group can just play carefree ball, despite their ranking.

You could see it in the preseason. This team may not be as talented as last year’s team. But they are a lot scrappier, they are a lot hungrier! And they sure do hustle a lot more.

And they learned how to make clutch last minute free throws!

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Spot on

I predicted a 20 win season and sweet 16. Although many here have criticized Painter in the past, that now seems like an automatic no matter how inexperienced his players are. The plain facts are, Painter is a good coach! Look at the names of the coaches who won 400 games! Painter is one of the 5 best coaches of all time in the BIG 10.

Purdue has had some awesome basketball coaches. I thought Fred Schaus and Lee Rose were great. But Keady and Painter have truly spoiled us. They have been to Purdue basketball what Favre and Rodgers have been to the Packers. And Painter is just reaching his prime!
Well, you got your 20-win season...in 21 games. I'll bet you didn't predict that. 😁

ADVERTISEMENT