ADVERTISEMENT

Have you ever seen a game in Ass Hall?

game play stopped twice by shit thrown on the court

See also: earlier reply to this fooking thread
christ, yeah davie not trying to call you out per se but whaddup and your hoosier sympathizing posts on their page

Let’s hear some stories.

I have been to two games in the thunder dome

The first game was a dagger by Chad Austin at the end of regulation. I was sitting up under the balcony which is a horrible seat. I remember being up by 11 or so at the half and having fans in the concourse accepting defeat as I walked by. Some fans were nasty to me but I felt safe and left without any issues.

The second game was the very next year. Yep, Chad Austin again and this time it was in overtime. I had seats once again around row 35 which is like watching a game from space. My friend dared me to try and get down into the lower arena as we were pretty drunk. Once overtime began we began to make our move and did reach around row 6 while standing in the aisle. Nobody came to ask me to move as the entire place was standing. I watched with glee as row 6 mid court is an awesome seat and it didn’t hurt that the place was rocking. Once again, down to final possession, literally feet away from me, Chad drives from right to left, lifts up and Bullseye! Truly a neat experience and if you have the right seats, Ass Hall isn’t too bad of a place to see a game. The fans this time around were much saltier as they were still reeling from the previous year. I did get some popcorn thrown down at me from row 40 or so but I once again felt safe(ish).

I personally wouldn’t see another game there unless someone gave me good seats and it was against Purdue, the fans have changed as the old guard gets older. I suspect that any Purdue fans in the house tomorrow will get quite the treatment as the fanbase is in desperation mode while also fearing our rise to national dominance. Good times back then and great times now.
A guy behind me wearing a purdue shirt said, "I didn't realize there were so many good looking women going to school here".

I was courtside for a loosier game in old swayback four decades ago, saw the place as pathetic and still view it as the absolute worst among the 40-something venues where I’ve attended college basketball games, even aside from the intellectually and teeth-challenged fans who invoke images of the 1930s rallies at Nuremberg. I shall not return.

Upper-level fans can’t even see each other across court, looking straight ahead to see only the forever-collapsing roof, sunken most in the middle after slumping from each end. Fans are limited to staring down the most severe of drop-offs onto a blah court flanked by ridiculous curved retaining walls, resembling an inverted antique cradle that has long tossed its baby. And, like most old Midwest high schools, it has a stage on one end. How quaint. Too bad they couldn’t build a real basketball arena and a concert hall instead of one canyonesque catch-all.

I must confess to attending a few concerts there in the 1970s, hitching down with a few fellow Purdue students when the state was drawing music’s hottest acts. Inside a few years, Purdue’s Elliott hosted Fleetwood Mac, Jefferson Starship, Jethro Tull, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, REO Speedwagon and Chicago, but we also went to loosierland to catch Traffic and Seals & Crofts. My first-ever visit to swayback was to see Stephen Stills, and that place literally made me sick. I blew chunks so big they thought their sky was falling. Apparently it still is.

But I have heard of one fellow who enjoyed dropping in there. Ask Chad Austin.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT