ADVERTISEMENT

Can Purdue Compete in a NIL World?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
My question is whether we, Purdue, can complete in a NIL world. I would ask that in both football and basketball.

Pack obviously took the money and run (Steve Miller song plays in my mind writing that) to Miami. Hey, Miami might have been the highest bidder, but weather and lifestyle could have played a part in it too. Miami is obviously a different lifestyle for a kid over the Midwest. Whatever the reason, we lost out on him, which we offered almost a guaranteed starting gig and tv exposure to showcase his talents with our team needing a PG so bad. I cannot remember the last time I really have seen Miami basketball on prime time tv.

Purdue has two great coaches in Painter and Brohm. Both offer recruits and transfers the ability to learn the game and make them better men. They are both upfront in what they offer and will offer. Purdue is an incredible academic institution, so players get a great education and great degree. That obviously pays dividends for the rest of their lives.

However, I get it. You are a 18 to 22 year old player, and someone is talking about the future to you and another is offering you the chance to drive a Porsche and other things. Kids, and a lot of their parents, are going to say to take the money in most cases. Now, we know that very few of these kids are going to be the next NFL or NBA star, and this money dries up quickly, if you are foolish with the money. We know that most of these kids will be foolish with the money, but they don't care in the present. There are some kids that want that regime and they want the education, but that is becoming more rare in our society with the "I or Me" attitude that so many people seem to have anymore.

Can we compete with the schools that have boosters and administrations that don't care about the kids, except what they can provider in the Win/Loss column? It is all about the wins today. I realize that Purdue has this "collective" that we are establishing. Purdue has money and boosters too that could help to recruit these transfers and recruits. I just don't see our university getting into an "arms" race like some other universities. Hey, supposedly IU paid a few hundred thousands, and they are seeing Thompson and Davis coming back next year. I don't know if it is true, and I don't really care. I don't think those 2 players are going to help that team out that much to where they are going any further in the tournament than what we saw this year. However, I could see IU getting into the arms race in basketball in the future. I could see multiple members of their fan base willing to take out a second or third mortgage out on their trailers. Don't see it in football, because their football team plays off campus in South Bend.

Could this be a reason that Hunter is looking to leave? Did he do a Jerry Maguire "show me the money" statement, and we refused to pay that price. Again, I have no idea. I am just putting that out there.

NCAA has opened up Pandora's box with these transfer portal and NIL policies. They can try to amend them, but least be honest that is not going to work now. It is too late. College basketball has become a semi professional league with the paychecks that some of these kids are going to see. For the payments going to be paid out, I guess you better see league champions, league tournament championships, and deep NCAA tournament runs to get your ROI on your money.

The question still remains whether we want to get into this arms race/free agency for players. I think we will get this "collective" going, but I don't see us being the highest bidders in these auctions for the top talent.

Last edited:
To me this feels too familiar with the stand Purdue took about 15 years ago against the arms race in football. We all know what happened next. We tried bringing a knife to a gun fight and found what our idealism was worth.

It took hitting rock bottom for several years before the administration sounded the alarm and started investing at a competitive level to revive the football program and essentially save the athletic department. Being slow to act, only to eventually give in, only compounded the problem.

Whatever the Purdue Way is when it comes to NIL it needs to be decisive, it needs to be competitive with peers, and it needs to come quick. Or this program will too hit rock bottom before we can bat an eye.

I'm not totally sure how NIL works,? How did this affect Packs decision?

I don't see it. And I'm typically the optimistic Purdue guy. Teams with boosters who already had networks to pay players like Tennessee, OSU, and Texas AM or a Billionaire fan like Miami are going to get the clear advantage. How does Purdue donations for JPC compare to other athletic donations at top ACC, SEC, and B1G schools? The money for NIL would come from the same pool of people who are already giving.

I'm still going to enjoy watching and supporting this team as long as this core of guys is here, regardless of the outcome. However, if college sports eventually turn into free agency where the rosters are different every year based on the highest bidder I'll be watching the better professional product in the NBA or NFL.

My question is whether we, Purdue, can complete in a NIL world. I would ask that in both football and basketball.

Pack obviously took the money and run (Steve Miller song plays in my mind writing that) to Miami. Hey, Miami might have been the highest bidder, but weather and lifestyle could have played a part in it too. Miami is obviously a different lifestyle for a kid over the Midwest. Whatever the reason, we lost out on him, which we offered almost a guaranteed starting gig and tv exposure to showcase his talents with our team needing a PG so bad. I cannot remember the last time I really have seen Miami basketball on prime time tv.

Purdue has two great coaches in Painter and Brohm. Both offer recruits and transfers the ability to learn the game and make them better men. They are both upfront in what they offer and will offer. Purdue is an incredible academic institution, so players get a great education and great degree. That obviously pays dividends for the rest of their lives.

However, I get it. You are a 18 to 22 year old player, and someone is talking about the future to you and another is offering you the chance to drive a Porsche and other things. Kids, and a lot of their parents, are going to say to take the money in most cases. Now, we know that very few of these kids are going to be the next NFL or NBA star, and this money dries up quickly, if you are foolish with the money. We know that most of these kids will be foolish with the money, but they don't care in the present. There are some kids that want that regime and they want the education, but that is becoming more rare in our society with the "I or Me" attitude that so many people seem to have anymore.

Can we compete with the schools that have boosters and administrations that don't care about the kids, except what they can provider in the Win/Loss column? It is all about the wins today. I realize that Purdue has this "collective" that we are establishing. Purdue has money and boosters too that could help to recruit these transfers and recruits. I just don't see our university getting into an "arms" race like some other universities. Hey, supposedly IU paid a few hundred thousands, and they are seeing Thompson and Davis coming back next year. I don't know if it is true, and I don't really care. I don't think those 2 players are going to help that team out that much to where they are going any further in the tournament than what we saw this year. However, I could see IU getting into the arms race in basketball in the future. I could see multiple members of their fan base willing to take out a second or third mortgage out on their trailers. Don't see it in football, because their football team plays off campus in South Bend.

Could this be a reason that Hunter is looking to leave? Did he do a Jerry Maguire "show me the money" statement, and we refused to pay that price. Again, I have no idea. I am just putting that out there.

NCAA has opened up Pandora's box with these transfer portal and NIL policies. They can try to amend them, but least be honest that is not going to work now. It is too late. College basketball has become a semi professional league with the paychecks that some of these kids are going to see. For the payments going to be paid out, I guess you better see league champions, league tournament championships, and deep NCAA tournament runs to get your ROI on your money.

The question still remains whether we want to get into this arms race/free agency for players. I think we will get this "collective" going, but I don't see us being the highest bidders in these auctions for the top talent.
He got $400000 per

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
So last year every thing was fine, now we have NIL and college players are getting $500 to a mill to play a game! This could add up to billions of dollars! Where in the hell is all this money coming from? I feel sorry for the suckers who are diving into this pool of greed and corruption! Alot of people are going to get their pockets drained. This is not like investing in gold!

I can’t find anywhere on the msg board. Did Purdue have any kind of offer on the table for Pack at all? If so, what was it...err how much?

The consensus here is that Purdue can’t compete in NIL, at least be a consistent top 10 or top 20 team in football or basketball, essentially giving them no chance at a national championship, final four, etc.

I think the 3 options are:

1. Accumulate the donated money for a few years and wait for one year to buy 3 to 5 top players and attempt a championship run in the next few years. Purdue just won’t have the money to do this every year. They got to pick their moments.

2. Find the schools that know they are in the same financial uncompetitive boat and the ones just not willing to do the NIL and leave the NCAA and form a true amateur athletic association. Scholarship only. If schools get caught cheating, they are out forever. The talent will be much less but there will be at least fair financial competition.

3. Stay and try to compete in a NIL world and pray for that improbable team that comes along that has the magic chemistry that will overcome the large talent gaps that will occur.

People keep talking about Purdue and what they can do. It's not about the university, they aren't the one's cutting the checks. It's really about individuals to bid what ever they want.

Then you are going to have kids not listening to the coach, but the guy cutting the checks.

And with the Pack thing, the slime ball cutting the check was quick to put it out there what the deal was as a clear message he's willing to pay big bucks to go to Miami.

The consensus here is that Purdue can’t compete in NIL, at least be a consistent top 10 or top 20 team in football or basketball, essentially giving them no chance at a national championship, final four, etc.

1. Accumulate the donated money for a few years and wait for one year to buy 3 to 5 top players and attempt a championship run in the next few years. Purdue just won’t have the money to do this every year. They got to pick their moments.

2. Find the schools that know they are in the same financial uncompetitive boat and the ones just not willing to do the NIL and leave the NCAA and form a true amateur athletic association. Scholarship only. If schools get caught cheating, they are out forever. The talent will be much less but there will be at least fair financial competition.

3. Stay and try to compete in a NIL world and pray for that improbable team that comes along that has the magic chemistry that will overcome the large talent gaps that will occur.
Donated money to what? Universities aren't allowed to pay, just can assist in finding deals

I think 2 is a real option. There are over 300 D1 basketball schools. How many presidents and BOT members are happy to be involved with NIL?. My guess is not too many. As such I can see 2 divisions. One with unlimited NIL and one with a NIL cap.

Donated money to what? Universities aren't allowed to pay, just can assist in finding deals
Donated to the NIL collective that will have to exist if it doesn’t already. Call it what you want, but it’s a fund to pay athletes to go to Purdue. It just a work around so “universities aren’t allowed to pay”.
This whole thing is a complete joke. Don’t call it name, image, likeness. Just call it: you can pay athletes to come to your school. Pay for play. It’s all legal now.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I'm not totally sure how NIL works,? How did this affect Packs decision?
$400k for 2 years. $800k Total. Sign here. Who knows what he signed for T-shirts, Health Club sponsorship, European car dealership, boat dealerships for Marinas…who knows. I certainly don’t.
Wonder what their teammates think 🤔 when they get chump change or scholie only. Pay me or I won’t pass to Pack!
Hard to tell what that does internally to an organization like Miami and their assistant coaches whom likely get paid less than Pack.

I think 2 is a real option. There are over 300 D1 basketball schools. How many presidents and BOT members are happy to be involved with NIL?. My guess is not too many. As such I can see 2 divisions. One with unlimited NIL and one with a NIL cap
I think down the road, with the NIL disaster currently in place, NCAA with have 2 conferences. An Eastern conference and a Western conference. Each conference will have 3 divisions with 5 teams each…..oh wait….that’s the NBA.

Donated to the NIL collective that will have to exist if it doesn’t already. Call it what you want, but it’s a fund to pay athletes to go to Purdue. It just a work around so “universities aren’t allowed to pay”.
This whole thing is a complete joke. Don’t call it name, image, likeness. Just call it: you can pay athletes to come to your school. Pay for play. It’s all legal now.
Yes, it is, but you have to come up with something to at least make it look legitimate, like Miami booster saying it's to endorse his company.

Yes, it is, but you have to come up with something to at least make it look legitimate, like Miami booster saying it's to endorse his company.
I think you are right, but it should be really easy. So many loopholes right now. The NCAA isn’t going to enforce what little rules they have. They are just trying to keep their head above water and exist at this point.

So last year every thing was fine, now we have NIL and college players are getting $500 to a mill to play a game! This could add up to billions of dollars! Where in the hell is all this money coming from? I feel sorry for the suckers who are diving into this pool of greed and corruption! Alot of people are going to get their pockets drained. This is not like investing in gold!
they aren't necessarily investing with a financial return in mind. they are investing with a national championship in mind - one that their billionaire friend wasn't able to achieve at his/her school of choice.

Purdue will go with option 3. That is the Purdue brand.

Purdue will go with option 3. That is the Purdue brand.
I think even if they don't start paying big bucks for players they'll be fine. They will be able to field good teams and stay within the top 20 in basketball most years and stay competitive in football. The schools that usually get the 5 star guys are still gong to get them and they can only take so many 5 and 4 star players

Purdue certainly can compete, but I hope they don’t take the low brow approach that Indinia is taking with their 501(c)(3) approach. It’s a cynical and oft-utilized effort that is done solely for tax avoidance, rather than anything so noble as supporting charities. Luminaries promote and solicit donations for various charities, and are paid handsomely to do so. Because it’s a 501(c)(3) endeavor, income earned is shielded from taxes.

It’s also a public relations strategy in that it creates and fosters an often false image of caring and concern, even though that’s not why it’s set up. And it’s an age old method of shielding the income earner from taxes, in spite of the ignorance of many of the IU fans who believe it to be groundbreaking (it’s far from that). To be fair, some who earn income in this manner do so with the intention of simultaneously donating those funds to the charity for whom they’re working, and one would hope anyone who engages in a scheme like this would also do so, though it’s highly unlikely we’ll see that here.

This is a tax free money grab transparently designed to appear altruistic.It‘s a cynical strategy and one, candidly, that many find lacking in integrity. Strongly hope Purdue takes a much higher road here.

Purdue certainly can compete, but I hope they don’t take the low brow approach that Indinia is taking with their 501(c)(3) approach. It’s a cynical and oft-utilized effort that is done solely for tax avoidance, rather than anything so noble as supporting charities. Luminaries promote and solicit donations for various charities, and are paid handsomely to do so. Because it’s a 501(c)(3) endeavor, income earned is shielded from taxes.

It’s also a public relations strategy in that it creates and fosters an often false image of caring and concern, even though that’s not why it’s set up. And it’s an age old method of shielding the income earner from taxes, in spite of the ignorance of many of the IU fans who believe it to be groundbreaking (it’s far from that). To be fair, some who earn income in this manner do so with the intention of simultaneously donating those funds to the charity for whom they’re working, and one would hope anyone who engages in a scheme like this would also do so, though it’s highly unlikely we’ll see that here.

This is a tax free money grab transparently designed to appear altruistic.It‘s a cynical strategy and one, candidly, that many find lacking in integrity. Strongly hope Purdue takes a much higher road here.
Every single post you make, even the well-written ones on completely unrelated topics, are in terms of Indiana-spelled-wrong.

Are you Twindegrees3?!? If you aren’t, you and Twindegrees2 should have lunch—it’d be a hoot! 😁

Every single post you make, even the well-written ones on completely unrelated topics, are in terms of Indiana-spelled-wrong.

Are you Twindegrees3?!? If you aren’t, you and Twindegrees2 should have lunch—it’d be a hoot! 😁
I’m not, but I do find it somewhat amazing that you’re unaware of the story surrounding the Indinia name. As an IU fan, that’s surprising, to say the least. Is your reaction a function of your ignorance?

I’m not, but I do find it somewhat amazing that you’re unaware of the story surrounding the Indinia name. As an IU fan, that’s surprising, to say the least. Is your reaction a function of your ignorance?
I know the story! The football print shop got a walk on‘s jersey sent with the team name misspelled, and rather than have the kid sit out the game they put him in the uniform anyway. It’s a classic IU football screwup. IU football is famous for that kind of stuff, you know!

anyway, I really like your post about NIL. Anybody that thinks putting this in 501 C3 tax status somehow makes it altruistic is completely missing the point and lying to themselves. It’s pure and simple, a legalized way for college kids to make a lot of money when they’re really good at football or basketball.

Also, just my opinion because I’m in no position to make you, but you should really stop flaming in your posts, because the substance of them is usually pretty good and the flaming distracts from some really good points you make.

Last edited:
I know the story! The football print shop got a walk on‘s jersey sent with the team name misspelled, and rather than have the kid sit out the game they put him in the uniform anyway. It’s a classic IU football screwup. IU football is famous for that kind of stuff, you know!

anyway, I really like your post about NIL. Anybody that thinks putting this in 501 C3 tax status somehow makes it altruistic is completely missing the point and lying to themselves. It’s pure and simple, a legalized way for college kids to make a lot of money when they’re really good at football or basketball.

Also, just my opinion because I’m in no position to make you, but you should really stop flaming in your posts, because the substance of them is usually pretty good and the flaming distracts from some really good points you make.
The use of “Indinia” is in good fun and nothing but a gentle jab in a long rivalry between the schools. It seems rather harmless, especially when I often see references made by IU fans to the physical appearance of Purdue coeds, even when some of those coeds are family members of theirs. I find it strange that IU fans find no issue with such personal attacks but “Indinia” elicits such a negative response. A difference in perspective and values, I surmise.

Last edited:
The use of “Indinia” is in good fun and nothing but a gentle jab in a long rivalry between the schools. It seems rather harmless, especially when I often see references made by IU fans to the physical appearance of Purdue coeds, even when some of those coeds are family members of theirs. I find it strange that IU fans find no issue with such personal attacks but “Indinia” elicits such a negative response. A difference in perspective and values, I surmise.
So in other words, "IU Sucks"?

Triggered much? If you get triggered this badly by Purdue fans repeating what was on an Indiania uniform, and keep coming back for more, you should get help.

The Pack deal was the kind of thing I always assumed was happening under the table. To see it play out in the light of day is kind of surreal. It makes me wonder how long until a "whale" like ESPN or Nike starts putting their thumb on the scale (publicly, anyway), and what kind of effect it will have. Does all this make the Nike scandal go away, since paying players to attend a particular school is no longer frowned upon? Bruce Weber is never going to get a haircut again.

Whatever the reason, we lost out on him, which we offered almost a guaranteed starting gig and tv exposure to showcase his talents with our team needing a PG so bad. I cannot remember the last time I really have seen Miami basketball on prime time tv.
I can remember...it was when they played in the Elite 8 against Kansas just a few weeks ago.

Every time we get an early commitment, like a Colvin, the question is going to be whether someone else will open up their checkbook higher and steal them away.

Also, are visits going to change where facility and academics will be the shortest part of the weekend visits in the future? The kids are going to want to hear about the "money man" like in the 80s movie Johnny Be Good.

Last edited:
Every time we get an early commitment, like a Colvin, the question is going to be whether someone else will open up their checkbook higher and steal them away.

Also, are visits going to change were facility and academics will be the shortest part of the weekend visits in the future? The kids are going to want to hear about the "money man" like in the 80s movie Johnny Be Good.

We’ve already been thru that with Colvin. Overtime Elite offered him $500K but he turned it down.

The Pack deal was the kind of thing I always assumed was happening under the table. To see it play out in the light of day is kind of surreal. It makes me wonder how long until a "whale" like ESPN or Nike starts putting their thumb on the scale (publicly, anyway), and what kind of effect it will have. Does all this make the Nike scandal go away, since paying players to attend a particular school is no longer frowned upon? Bruce Weber is never going to get a haircut again.
And now you have come to the realization that "it is about the shoes". Wonder when that was first mentioned?

I think option 2 sounds nice, but I don’t think schools can enforce the “scholarship only” rule. Didn’t the courts decide that players have the right to make money off their name? That’s where all of this started.

Who knew what lifewallet was before pack signed? Now half or more of Ncaa fans know and a bunch will check it out. If you research them a little it’s a pretty great idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT