Illinois +400
MSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin +1000
Northwestern +1400
Iowa +2000
Maryland +2800
Indinia, Minny, Penn St +3300
Ohio St, Rutgers +4000
Michigan +5000
Since typically the BTT winner doesn’t get past the first weekend, let’s win a game or two and bow out 😂

Which one do you use?
Bit of a loaded question right now. I work for a Penn property, but you wouldn't've heard of the company we use. We are also partnered with ESPN Bet for online, but currently the online app uses theScore for its numbers. We are soon going to use theScore's numbers at our property as well.

Released on my site today.

Purdue +135
Illinois +400
Northwestern +1400
Iowa +2000
Maryland +2800
Ohio St, Rutgers +4000
Michigan +5000
I'll put a dollar on Michigan.

Historically, this is ridiculously false. It’s been true the last couple years, that’s it … and I don’t think it was winning the BTT that screwed Illinois/Iowa/Purdue in March Madness!
Since I was curious, here are the BTT winners since 2010 and their NCAAT results.

2010OSUSweet 16
2011Ohio StateSweet 16
2012Michigan StateSweet 16
2013Ohio StateElite 8
2014Michigan StateElite 8
2015WisconsinRunner-Up
2016Michigan StateFirst Round
2017MichiganSweet 16
2018MichiganRunner-Up
2019Michigan StateFinal 4
2021IllinoisSecond Round
2022IowaFirst Round
2023PurdueFirst Round

Since I was curious, here are the BTT winners since 2010 and their NCAAT results.

2010OSUSweet 16
2011Ohio StateSweet 16
2013Ohio StateElite 8
2015WisconsinRunner-Up
2017MichiganSweet 16
2018MichiganRunner-Up
2021IllinoisSecond Round
2022IowaFirst Round
2023PurdueFirst Round
So prior to last 3 years, only 1 hasn’t made it out of the first weekend and I believe that was the MSU team that lost to MTSU when Valentine was the PG. that team looked so good too.

What are the reasons the last 3 champs couldn’t get out of the first weekend??

So prior to last 3 years, only 1 hasn’t made it out of the first weekend and I believe that was the MSU team that lost to MTSU when Valentine was the PG. that team looked so good too.

What are the reasons the last 3 champs couldn’t get out of the first weekend??
We all know about Purdue’s struggles last year. For Iowa, they seemed like a classic Iowa team with a solid offense and poor defense. They had a cold shooting day, going 6/29 from 3 and lost to 12-seed Richmond. Illinois lost to 8-seed Loyola Chicago that was severely underseeded (#10 on KenPom and #2 defense). This was also during the tournament when there were no fans, so any fan advantage was negated.

We all know about Purdue’s struggles last year. For Iowa, they seemed like a classic Iowa team with a solid offense and poor defense. They had a cold shooting day, going 6/29 from 3 and lost to 12-seed Richmond. Illinois lost to 8-seed Loyola Chicago that was severely underseeded (#10 on KenPom and #2 defense). This was also during the tournament when there were no fans, so any fan advantage was negated.
All very true. That Illinois team still shoulda won. Kofi got cooked by big farva all game long. That was their best team since the NC team…this years team is pretty good too but not having a true Pg may hurt them…but it may not.

Iowa has not been past the first weekend since 1999…and only 3 times in 40 years. That’s crazy, I thought for sure they’d have better success than that. Fran has never seen past the first weekend. Damn. I bet they get past it next year.

All very true. That Illinois team still shoulda won. Kofi got cooked by big farva all game long. That was their best team since the NC team…this years team is pretty good too but not having a true Pg may hurt them…but it may not.

Iowa has not been past the first weekend since 1999…and only 3 times in 40 years. That’s crazy, I thought for sure they’d have better success than that. Fran has never seen past the first weekend. Damn. I bet they get past it next year.
I agree that IL should have still won. They had Kofi and Ayo, which is about as great of a combo as you could ask for. Oddly enough, Underwood has never seen past the first weekend either. Crazy that those teams haven’t at least made a sweet 16 with the talent that has gone through there. Purdue gets a lot of heat for their recent upsets, but man, for Iowa and Illinois to have such a drought for even making a Sweet 16 is pretty inexcusable.

I agree that IL should have still won. They had Kofi and Ayo, which is about as great of a combo as you could ask for. Oddly enough, Underwood has never seen past the first weekend either. Crazy that those teams haven’t at least made a sweet 16 with the talent that has gone through there. Purdue gets a lot of heat for their recent upsets, but man, for Iowa and Illinois to have such a drought for even making a Sweet 16 is pretty inexcusable.
Yeah, there was a recent stat that Illinois has won the most games of any Big Ten program over the last 5 years (Purdue in a very close second), including a #1 seed, 1.5 Big Ten championships (2021 situation was a joke, lol) and 1 BTT championship ... and all we have to show for it is two Second Round losses and a First Round loss! Very frustrating. I can only speak for the Illini, but this has been what's held us back:

2020: It was bad luck for everyone that this Tournament got cancelled, but especially us. We were playing really well and probably projected as a #6 seed or so. Had a ton of momentum in our first year "back" as a good program, and it was cancelled in a day.

2021: Contrary to my previous point about winning the BTT not hurting a team ... I do think this team was TOTALLY gassed by the Loyola game. In just 15 days, we ended the season with these games:

W 74-69 at #23 Wisconsin
W 76-53 at #2 Michigan
W 73-68 at #7 Ohio State
W 90-68 vs. Rutgers (BTT in Indianapolis)
W 82-71 vs. #5 Iowa (BTT Semifinals in Indianapolis)
W 91-88 in OT vs. #9 Ohio State (BTT Championship in Indianapolis)

Then we quarantined for a week and played (as people mentioned) a very good and under-seeded Loyola team. That team also probably relied on Ayo a bit too much, and Loyola had a GREAT game plan to contain him.

2022: This team was also limping along by the NCAA Tournament, and half the lineup was injured by the time we played #5 seed Houston in the Second Round ... a team that spent much of the year in the top 12 or so (probably deserved a much higher seed) and eventually made the Elite Eight. Bad draw, and we were banged up. We were all pretty much just happy to hang a Big Ten championship banner, and no one thought we had much of a shot in March Madness.

2023: Just a frickin' mess. Instead of having a rebuilding year, we wanted a fourth straight year of being a Big Ten championship contender, so we patched together a lineup with transfers (we lost all five starters from the 2022 team). Team chemistry was awful, and this held us back ... as evidenced by this year's team being SO much better after losing objectively talented players like Meyer, Epps and Skyy Clark (the latter of whom left the team literally in January...). This team was as dysfunctional as it gets, and frankly Underwood deserves some credit for even MAKING the NCAA Tournament if all of the stories of locker room drama are true. It's such a breath of fresh air that this year's team has such great chemistry, whatever else their faults are!

Let's hope we both go on a little run this year! The conference needs it, and both of our programs could really use some recent NCAA Tournament success to match the regular season success. 🤝

Yeah, there was a recent stat that Illinois has won the most games of any Big Ten program over the last 5 years (Purdue in a very close second), including a #1 seed, 1.5 Big Ten championships (2021 situation was a joke, lol) and 1 BTT championship ... and all we have to show for it is two Second Round losses and a First Round loss! Very frustrating. I can only speak for the Illini, but this has been what's held us back:

2020: It was bad luck for everyone that this Tournament got cancelled, but especially us. We were playing really well and probably projected as a #6 seed or so. Had a ton of momentum in our first year "back" as a good program, and it was cancelled in a day.

2021: Contrary to my previous point about winning the BTT not hurting a team ... I do think this team was TOTALLY gassed by the Loyola game. In just 15 days, we ended the season with these games:

W 74-69 at #23 Wisconsin
W 76-53 at #2 Michigan
W 73-68 at #7 Ohio State
W 90-68 vs. Rutgers (BTT in Indianapolis)
W 82-71 vs. #5 Iowa (BTT Semifinals in Indianapolis)
W 91-88 in OT vs. #9 Ohio State (BTT Championship in Indianapolis)

Then we quarantined for a week and played (as people mentioned) a very good and under-seeded Loyola team. That team also probably relied on Ayo a bit too much, and Loyola had a GREAT game plan to contain him.

2022: This team was also limping along by the NCAA Tournament, and half the lineup was injured by the time we played #5 seed Houston in the Second Round ... a team that spent much of the year in the top 12 or so (probably deserved a much higher seed) and eventually made the Elite Eight. Bad draw, and we were banged up. We were all pretty much just happy to hang a Big Ten championship banner, and no one thought we had much of a shot in March Madness.

2023: Just a frickin' mess. Instead of having a rebuilding year, we wanted a fourth straight year of being a Big Ten championship contender, so we patched together a lineup with transfers (we lost all five starters from the 2022 team). Team chemistry was awful, and this held us back ... as evidenced by this year's team being SO much better after losing objectively talented players like Meyer, Epps and Skyy Clark (the latter of whom left the team literally in January...). This team was as dysfunctional as it gets, and frankly Underwood deserves some credit for even MAKING the NCAA Tournament if all of the stories of locker room drama are true. It's such a breath of fresh air that this year's team has such great chemistry, whatever else their faults are!

Let's hope we both go on a little run this year! The conference needs it, and both of our programs could really use some recent NCAA Tournament success to match the regular season success. 🤝
This Illini team is built for March and I’ll have them going to the F4…as long as you’re not in the same bracket as Purdue (which I assume won’t happen). So good luck to ya and hope we meet in Phoenix somehow

This Illini team is built for March and I’ll have them going to the F4…as long as you’re not in the same bracket as Purdue (which I assume won’t happen). So good luck to ya and hope we meet in Phoenix somehow
I appreciate the kind words, but we REALLY need to improve our defense to be closer to what it was earlier this year! Right now our offense is Final Four-worthy ... our defense is closer to a First Round exit!

I appreciate the kind words, but we REALLY need to improve our defense to be closer to what it was earlier this year! Right now our offense is Final Four-worthy ... our defense is closer to a First Round exit!
I don't see a first round exit for Illinois. They look like a team on a mission. I suspect Purdue is going to run into a buzz saw next week in Champaign.

OSU is really starting to put it together and are going to be a real pain in the BTT. Their strength is in their sophomore and freshmen classes and that new HC (after firing Holtmann) seems to have energized that team. They might be the team to place a bet on

I don't see a first round exit for Illinois. They look like a team on a mission. I suspect Purdue is going to run into a buzz saw next week in Champaign.
Well if they lose at Wisconsin and we beat sparty that game won’t mean as much in hind sight

That’s the crazy thing every March though. Purdue certainly wasn’t playing super well at the end of last year, but no one expected a first round exit. The year MSU lost to a 15-seed they were on a tear and a common pick to win it all. Illinois is playing absolutely abysmal defense as of late. I think I saw that in the month of February, they had like the 250th rated defense. If they have an off shooting night, they could easily lose to a lower seed.

That’s the crazy thing every March though. Purdue certainly wasn’t playing super well at the end of last year, but no one expected a first round exit. The year MSU lost to a 15-seed they were on a tear and a common pick to win it all. Illinois is playing absolutely abysmal defense as of late. I think I saw that in the month of February, they had like the 250th rated defense. If they have an off shooting night, they could easily lose to a lower seed.
Exactly! This is why we all love (and hate) March madness 😂

2010OSUSweet 16
2011Ohio StateSweet 16
2013Ohio StateElite 8
2015WisconsinRunner-Up
2017MichiganSweet 16
2018MichiganRunner-Up
2021IllinoisSecond Round
2022IowaFirst Round
2023PurdueFirst Round
Didn’t Purdue win it in 09? If you’re going to pick a cut off, pick it at the Purdue BTT championship.

They lost in the S16 that year if memory serves me correct after beating a Washington team that got a de facto home game in Spokane as a 5 seed.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Matt, I am sure, is going to do nothing but try to win the BTT. I will be very happy , if we lose the 1st game of the tourney. The season title, winning at least 2 of last 3 in reg season, gives us a 1 seed.

Released on my site today.

Purdue +135
Illinois +400
Northwestern +1400
Iowa +2000
Maryland +2800
Ohio St, Rutgers +4000
Michigan +5000
I'm going to drop some "change" on Northwestern. I think they'll be the surprise in the BTT this year. MSU could do some real damage.

Reactions: RDUBoiler
Since typically the BTT winner doesn’t get past the first weekend, let’s win a game or two and bow out 😂
MSU at +1000 is a good deal, put a $20 on them, if they make the final you can cash out of hedge the other way to guarentee a profit.

That's accurate. Exception for last 3-4 minutes of games defensively. This is where Illinois killer instinct at the end of these last couple games. They know it's winning time, and they have put their hands on the throat of opponents.

Last edited:
I don’t mind IL as a program or Underwood in general, but have no idea how non-Illinois fans can root for this particular Illini team.

Because of Hawkins?
Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

Eh he’s a good player, just gets in his own way. He is annoying but comical…he may cost them a game in the tourney tbh.

They’re pretty good overall and are mismatches across the board. Haven’t been playing much defense over the last month, but scoring at will. It’ll be interesting to see if not having a true PG will come to bite them.

I do have to say their fans on social media platforms are insufferable and have an odd hatred for Purdue.

Purdue isn’t good money, MSU and Iowa would be my plays, if they make the finals and play Purdue you’ll get a nice cash out opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT