ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Newman

Your incoming freshman? Do you think he will play next year? He's a very low ranked 3 star that weighs 160 lbs. If I read correctly, he didnt even make the Mr. Basketball finalists.
He won’t play significant minutes because of who’s in front of him. But he’s our PG of the future. And he’s who the staff wanted more than Phinisee.

Tell yourself what you need to hear.

Everything I’ve read about Thompson says he’s better than his brother. His brother was pretty darn good for us so I don’t think anyone has to convince themselves that he should be a great addition to the team. Obviously you never know for sure how any recruit will work out but I’m glad you like RP because I’m happy we with who we got between the two

CMP recruited a bunch of kids in that class harder than he did RP: Hunter, Damezi, Carmody, and Trevion, just to name a few off the top of my head.
That's probably because RP made it clear he had no interest in Purdue from the beginning. That doesnt change the type of player RP projects to become in college.

He played winning basketball, against big boy teams, in games that actually meant something.

Maybe Phinisee will get to try that someday.
Haha again, tell yourself what you need to hear. I'll take RP all day every day over Hunter. Hunter no longer has Carsen and Cline to carry him.

That's probably because RP made it clear he had no interest in Purdue from the beginning. That doesnt change the type of player RP projects to become in college.
Or because CMP knew he wouldn’t play much behind Nojel. With Isaiah, there is 2 years of separation.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Haha again, tell yourself what you need to hear. I'll take RP all day every day over Hunter. Hunter no longer has Carsen and Cline to carry him.
Phinesee won’t have Romeo and Morgan to carry him either.

Eh I'll take my chances on RP.
In addition to playing a lot of minutes, Hunter played a lot of minutes and played well in the NCAA tournament. Frankly, I'm not sure if Phinesee will ever see an NCAA tournament and get some key experience. Next season for IU will even be worse than this past season.

Those 9 points in those 4 games were more than his season average, so that's something... lol

Well, we can start with basketball IQ....Hunter was smart enough to commit to Purdue as opposed to IU so that’s one category he’s definitely well ahead. He played behind Carsen, Cline and Eastern so not like he got that many minutes although he played point in those four games thus he was distributing first to Carsen and Cline who did a little scoring themselves in case you hadn’t heard....Everything is not about scoring when 5 play as a team instead of individually. And he also plays defense...something else somewhat foreign to IU basketball ( although you all did improve somewhat there). Oh, and he was playing against teams making it to the Elite Eight as opposed to....well... teams not making the Dance at all so we’re kind of comparing diamonds to coal don’t you think?

IU fans like B1G like Phinisee because he is from the Lafayette area yet went to IU. This is considered a slap at Painter and Purdue. The fact that Purdue did not aggressively pursue him is irrelevant. The fact that he wanted to leave the area is irrelevant. What is relevant is that he was perceived as an example of a recruiting failure by Painter and supports the dubious theory that IU and Archie "...will lock down the state...." which is a recurring theme among them.

Here is the real fact: nobody is going to lock down the state.First of all, changes in availability and cost of transportation have removed barriers of distance for families that existed previously. Secondly, the distribution of high-level recruits has raised other states on a par with and often exceeding Indiana (heretical, I know).

Phinisee had a nice year at IU on a fair team, not a good one.He would not have had that year at Purdue. At the present time, IU is not viewed as good in the upcoming year by experts. Phinisee is likely to be a high-profile payer on a fair/poor team.

Reactions: mathboy
Both guys are Indiana kids and I like them both. At this stage in their career, I like RP slightly better. Good athlete and can score. He would be a much better player over 4 years had he come to Purdue. I agree with everyone who said his minutes at Purdue would have been limited this past season. He would have played no more minutes than EH. He played more at IU because he was on a lesser team. But given the choice I would probably choose RP right now with Painter as coach. It will be very interesting to see who is the better player 3 years from now. If I had to bet, I would bet on EH being better due to the system he is in. Boiler Up!!!!

IU fans like B1G like Phinisee because he is from the Lafayette area yet went to IU. This is considered a slap at Painter and Purdue. The fact that Purdue did not aggressively pursue him is irrelevant. The fact that he wanted to leave the area is irrelevant. What is relevant is that he was perceived as an example of a recruiting failure by Painter and supports the dubious theory that IU and Archie "...will lock down the state...." which is a recurring theme among them.

Here is the real fact: nobody is going to lock down the state.First of all, changes in availability and cost of transportation have removed barriers of distance for families that existed previously. Secondly, the distribution of high-level recruits has raised other states on a par with and often exceeding Indiana (heretical, I know).

Phinisee had a nice year at IU on a fair team, not a good one.He would not have had that year at Purdue. At the present time, IU is not viewed as good in the upcoming year by experts. Phinisee is likely to be a high-profile payer on a fair/poor team.

it's not a slap at Painter. He had no PT at Purdue. Zero. He went somewhere he DID have playing time... immediately.

Reactions: milkdude and Flot
Your incoming freshman? Do you think he will play next year? He's a very low ranked 3 star that weighs 160 lbs. If I read correctly, he didnt even make the Mr. Basketball finalists.

Coach dont care ‘bout stars. He cares about fit, defense and if they are coachable. Thompson is a legacy Boiler and better than his brother (per his brother).

Damn your roster had all sorts of high stars and you still had a sucky team. Let’s see how how your little coach can get out of his aau-style of playing in the B10. Please tell me he has a “It’s not nice poaching other players’ girlfriends” somewhere in the locker room.

Reactions: milkdude
Well, we can start with basketball IQ....Hunter was smart enough to commit to Purdue as opposed to IU so that’s one category he’s definitely well ahead. He played behind Carsen, Cline and Eastern so not like he got that many minutes although he played point in those four games thus he was distributing first to Carsen and Cline who did a little scoring themselves in case you hadn’t heard....Everything is not about scoring when 5 play as a team instead of individually. And he also plays defense...something else somewhat foreign to IU basketball ( although you all did improve somewhat there). Oh, and he was playing against teams making it to the Elite Eight as opposed to....well... teams not making the Dance at all so we’re kind of comparing diamonds to coal don’t you think?
You realize IU was a better defensive team than Purdue this year, right?

RP beat a Final 4 team twice last year.

IU fans like Phinisee, because he projects to be a good player and teammate.

Ah great. And how was the NIT this year? And I bet you think IU was a better overall team than Purdue right?

Coach dont care ‘bout stars. He cares about fit, defense and if they are coachable. Thompson is a legacy Boiler and better than his brother (per his brother).

Damn your roster had all sorts of high stars and you still had a sucky team. Let’s see how how your little coach can get out of his aau-style of playing in the B10. Please tell me he has a “It’s not nice poaching other players’ girlfriends” somewhere in the locker room.
IU had 8 players miss at least a game with injury.

Were there any injuries related to poaching girlfriends?

Come on. It wasn't injuries. Your little coach lost the team. All you had to do is look at the starting lineup at the beginning of each game- no team chemistry, no excitement, nothing. And Archie looked like he was naked and his hair on fire walking the sidelines. Lost. sweaty.

RP was 2-7 for a whopping 5 points in the two games against MSU. He played 19 minutes in the first game and went 0fer and then played a whopping 33 minutes in the second game and made 2 baskets. Is this the superiority you wanted us to fear?

Hunter on the other hand guarded Cassius Winston and scored the same 5 points in 15 minutes and 14 minutes against that final four team.

Hunter also finished the year with a Bigten championship. RP will never know that feeling.

Reactions: Schnelk
RP was 2-7 for a whopping 5 points in the two games against MSU. He played 19 minutes in the first game and went 0fer and then played a whopping 33 minutes in the second game and made 2 baskets. Is this the superiority you wanted us to fear?

Hunter on the other hand guarded Cassius Winston and scored the same 5 points in 15 minutes and 14 minutes against that final four team.

Hunter also finished the year with a Bigten championship. RP will never know that feeling.
Phin had a bad run when he came back from his concussion. I think Phin will take a just up and be really good next year. We shall see.

Phin had a bad run when he came back from his concussion. I think Phin will take a just up and be really good next year. We shall see.
He was reported injured on January 2nd and reported cleared to play on January 11th. The first MSU game was February 2nd, one month after his injury and 3 weeks after he was cleared to play. The second MSU game was March 2nd, two months after the injury and 7 weeks after he was cleared to play.

Try another excuse.

I am not sure why we are comparing Purdue's second string PG to IU's starting PG. That doesn't make sense to me. Of course Phiny is going to have better stats in that situation.

The real issue on the court is who would you start? Phinessee or Eastern? Eastern is the reason we didn't look hard at the kid from Lafayette. When IU rests Phinessee, who comes in? Is he as good as Hunter? That is the comparison that makes sense.

Given that Eastern is a far better PG, if I am Phinessee, I cross Purdue off my list right away. Right behind Eastern, we had Thompson already committed, so Phinessee would have been challenged as a starter after Eastern left.

I think scouting people are sleeping on Thompson. He is going to surprise folks, especially in Painter's system. He is taller, faster, and a better ball handler than his older brother all-BIG PJ Thompson.

Who is Thompson?

One of the Indiana All Stars.... But you’ll find out soon enough.

Well based on a couple of games we played against each other that’s pretty debatable wouldn’t you say.....??? Delusions never quite end with you people....The ultimate test for defense is if you can keep the other team from scoring more points than your team. All the statistics in the world are meaningless if you can’t do that. And let’s face it, that really wasn’t IU’s forte this year....

As for beating MSU twice, to steal an IU quip if I might....”So that was your Super Bowl?”

Last edited:

For years, IU fans dismiss the fact that Hummel's and Haas' injuries prevented Purdue and Painter from moving forward in the tournament. The comment was "..injuries are not an excuse." Now, injuries are an excuse. Which is it? Or does that argument go only one way? Let's be consistent here.

I am not sure why we are comparing Purdue's second string PG to IU's starting PG. That doesn't make sense to me. Of course Phiny is going to have better stats in that situation.

The real issue on the court is who would you start? Phinessee or Eastern? Eastern is the reason we didn't look hard at the kid from Lafayette. When IU rests Phinessee, who comes in? Is he as good as Hunter? That is the comparison that makes sense.

Given that Eastern is a far better PG, if I am Phinessee, I cross Purdue off my list right away. Right behind Eastern, we had Thompson already committed, so Phinessee would have been challenged as a starter after Eastern left.

I think scouting people are sleeping on Thompson. He is going to surprise folks, especially in Painter's system. He is taller, faster, and a better ball handler than his older brother all-BIG PJ Thompson.

Painter offered.

He wasn't coming here. He had no PT here.

He went where he could start and play: a really bad IU team.

He was reported injured on January 2nd and reported cleared to play on January 11th. The first MSU game was February 2nd, one month after his injury and 3 weeks after he was cleared to play. The second MSU game was March 2nd, two months after the injury and 7 weeks after he was cleared to play.

Try another excuse.
I’m not saying he was great every game. He was a freshman. He had a good all around season for a freshman considering his expectations. Next year he needs to be even better though. He needs to shoot more and make more. He needs to continue to take care of the ball but be more aggressive at times. His defense was always pretty good as he plays hard but he needs to continue improving there as well obviously. But all around he had a nice season

Reactions: Dakota Girl
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT